PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a wereforged?

kreenlover
2013-08-25, 06:59 PM
Does a version of lycanthrope exist for constructs?

If not then I am totally homebrewing this.

Big Fau
2013-08-25, 07:09 PM
Kinda. There are two attached components (both artifacts at that) that allow a Warforged to transform into a Living Construct version of a Centaur/Scorpion (ECS/SoS) IIRC.

kreenlover
2013-08-25, 07:11 PM
Kinda. There are two attached components (both artifacts at that) that allow a Warforged to transform into a Living Construct version of a Centaur/Scorpion (ECS/SoS) IIRC.

Hmm, not quite what I am looking for. Thanks for the timely response though!

Off to the Homebrew Lab! :smallbiggrin:

Uhtred
2013-08-25, 10:05 PM
Can't a Warforged end up an Afflicted Lycanthrope? They're immune to disease, sure, but I thought lycanthropy was a curse, not a disease? If that was the case, then theoretically a Warforged could also be a lycanthrope!
I just checked, the racial feature IS called "Curse of Lycanthropy," but the Lycanthrope entry says it spreads "LIKE a disease." Thoughts, anyone?
Also one of my favorite builds is Warforged Barbarian/Warforged Juggernaut/Frenzied Berzerker/Bear Warrior, for a full construct with out of control anger issues that can morph into a bear. Preferably while screaming "MAXIMIZE!"

Chronos
2013-08-25, 10:10 PM
Do you want a warforged that turns into an animal, or a humanoid that turns into a warforged?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-25, 10:17 PM
IIRC, there's also an minor artifact that turns a Warforgeds' legs into a lion, effectively turning it into a Tauric Creature.

Medic!
2013-08-25, 10:25 PM
Afflicted Lycanthropy is indeed a disease. Also Lycanthropy can only be passed on to [Humanoids] or [Giants] who are within one size category of the animal augmenting the base lycanthrope that attempts to pass the disease on.

Technically you could suppress your immunity (which is a debatable thing) and use Savage Species's Ritual of Association to be treated as a Humanoid or Giant then go out letting every animal that looks at you funny bite you.

captain fubar
2013-08-25, 11:17 PM
greater humanoid essence will remove your imunity to disease and make your type humanoid. once your infected I'm not shure wether you keep the template once the infusion expires or you need a item that continualy casts it.

kreenlover
2013-08-26, 08:41 AM
I was looking for a consruct version of lycanthropy. So, a warforged that turns into stuff, either animals or other constructs.

Big Fau
2013-08-26, 09:03 AM
I can see a PrC similar to Primordial or Weretouched Master being used to turn into different kinds of constructs (culminating in either an Iron Golem or Adamantine Charger transformation), but turning into a living construct version of an animal would be a little odd.

RFLS
2013-08-26, 09:27 AM
....So uh...Incarnate Construct, right? That's a good answer here? Guys?

Big Fau
2013-08-26, 09:28 AM
....So uh...Incarnate Construct, right? That's a good answer here? Guys?

While that would be the RAW solution, it looks like the OP wants to retain the Living Construct type and Warforged feel.

kreenlover
2013-08-26, 09:41 AM
Yah, I was hoping for, basically, an Optimus Prime type thing. If this doesn't exist, thats fine, I already wrote up some homebrew for it, but its always better if it actually exists.

dysprosium
2013-08-26, 09:58 AM
Wildshape Ranger or even Druid could be all you need -- prestige into Master of Many Forms.

The warforged composite plating does not go away in wild shape so your animal/wild shape forms would still have the armor on him.

Best of all -- none of that pesky LA to get in the way.

RFLS
2013-08-26, 10:01 AM
Possibly some alter self or polymorph shenanigans? Hm.... this is a toughie.

nickia
2013-08-26, 10:45 AM
Well the most obvious creatures I can think of for such transformations are the Warforged Scorpion (Secrets of Xendrik), the Steel Kraken (Five Nations), and the Iron Defender (Eberron Campaign Setting). Hope this helps

unseenmage
2013-08-26, 11:01 AM
Green Ronion's Advanced Bestiary is a 3rd party book that has both the Monstrous Lycanthrope on page 178 and the Transforming Construct of page 241.

They're exactly what you're looking for.

Ravens_cry
2013-08-26, 11:11 AM
I am getting some serious Beast Wars flashbacks here.
I am assuming that is intentional?:smalltongue:
But yeah, druid is one way to create this effect.

unseenmage
2013-08-26, 11:12 AM
I am getting some serious Beast Wars flashbacks here.
I am assuming that is intentional?:smalltongue:
But yeah, druid is one way to create this effect.

Upon taking Leadership and appropriately classed and leveled Followers this becomes your battle cry,
"Warforged Druids transform and roll out!!"

Deadline
2013-08-26, 11:15 AM
Technically you could suppress your immunity (which is a debatable thing) and use Savage Species's Ritual of Association to be treated as a Humanoid or Giant then go out letting every animal that looks at you funny bite you.

The Ritual of Association gives you a subtype, and doesn't let you gain the human, dwarf, elf, gnome or halfling subtypes. Sadly, a subtype won't qualify you for the Lycanthrope template anyway. You need the Humanoid or Giant type.

Mutazoia
2013-08-26, 11:16 AM
Somebody's been watching "Transformers" a bit too much lol

Ashtagon
2013-08-26, 11:18 AM
Aren't wereforged properly called "dinobots"?

Ravens_cry
2013-08-26, 11:20 AM
Upon taking Leadership and appropriately classed and leveled Followers this becomes your battle cry,
"Warforged Druids transform and roll out!!"
I was thinking more, "Maximals . . . MAXIMISE ! ! !"

Uhtred
2013-08-26, 11:41 AM
Won't Urban Druid, from Dragon Compendium, let him Wildshape into animated objects? Not exactly a Mack truck, but still workable? Like turning into an animated wagon? Or one of the Dwarven armored war carts from Arms & Equipment Guide?

kreenlover
2013-08-26, 11:56 AM
Won't Urban Druid, from Dragon Compendium, let him Wildshape into animated objects? Not exactly a Mack truck, but still workable? Like turning into an animated wagon? Or one of the Dwarven armored war carts from Arms & Equipment Guide?

OOH! I like this! This is even better than my original idea! Especially because you can't be a were-wagon. Even the name is silly.

But urban druids might be the way to go!

Ravens_cry
2013-08-26, 12:12 PM
Please tell me you can turn into an Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab). :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2013-08-26, 12:18 PM
Per RAW, lycanthropy is a disease, and living constructs are immune to disease. Therefore, not per RAW.

However, given magic ...

Insane druid invents a disease that can infect a living construct hoping to wipe these abominations against nature from the face of Eberron. Said disease is modified by an insane artificer who always wanted a pet wolf.

unseenmage
2013-08-26, 12:23 PM
Please tell me you can turn into an Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab). :smallbiggrin:

The Apparatus of the Crab is statted as a Magic Item so probably not.

Clockwork Armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) and The Moving Tower (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070423a) are built using the Craft Construct feat though. One might be able to Shape or Polymorph into them.

Edit: After looking again I see that the Crab is a Construct as well, well, at least as much a Construct as the ones I mentioned.

cerin616
2013-08-26, 12:32 PM
Lycanthropy is a complex system in DND it looks like. It functions as both a curse and a disease. I am going to throw it out there that lycanthropy is a curse. There is however a disease that is spread by Lycanthropes that causes you to gain the curse effect. In "curing lycanthropy" it states that when infected, you can use a remove disease if its withing 3 days, and that the only other way to remove lycanthropy is with a remove curse

There are also "afflicted lycanthropes" and "natural lycanthropes". afflicted lycanthropes cannot spread lycanthropy and natural lycanthropes cannot be cured of lycanthropy. This indicates that there are ways oif becoming a lycanthrope other than disease (such as hereditary from an afflicted possibly?) or maybe even magic.

This may not answer whether or not a warforged could ever be a lycanthrope, but it does indicate that they are not immune to the curse effect if there is a way for them to gain it other than a lycanthrope attack.

kreenlover
2013-08-26, 03:16 PM
It is impossible for warforged to become lycanthropes as they lack the proper subtype. I am asking if there is a different template in existence that does the same type of thing

cerin616
2013-08-26, 04:50 PM
Ah, well to that, I don't think there is. But it may be related to the fact that a lot of templates dont have living contruct as a possibility because they were made before eberron camapign setting.

Wizards did an article on "Creatures that cannot be" with some examples of templates that dont work by raw because of things like this, but are considered playable. They also suggest "give it a try and see what happens"

unseenmage
2013-08-26, 06:43 PM
It is impossible for warforged to become lycanthropes as they lack the proper subtype. I am asking if there is a different template in existence that does the same type of thing

As I pointed out earlier...

Green Ronion's Advanced Bestiary is a 3rd party book that has both the Monstrous Lycanthrope on page 178 and the Transforming Construct of page 241.

They're exactly what you're looking for.

kreenlover
2013-08-26, 06:47 PM
As I pointed out earlier...

Yah, I know, I was just clarifying it for Cerin. That is just what I was looking for, thanks!

unseenmage
2013-08-26, 06:50 PM
Yah, I know, I was just clarifying it for Cerin. That is just what I was looking for, thanks!

Ah. As I'd posted once or twice after that I figured it was possible it'd been missed.

And you're welcome. By chance I was just recently reading up on the Construct templates in that book for consideration of adding the book as a source to an Eberron campaign.

You should check out the Lifespark template too, it's not my cup of tea but I can't help wondering if it wouldn't allow one to effectively make Warforged+ anything you wanted via application of Lifespark and either the Effigy template or the Elder Eidolon template.

JanusJones
2013-08-27, 01:01 AM
I did a Beast Wars character once using the Shapeshift Druid variant from the PHB II, which specifically states that your form "you can choose the exact look that your shapeshifted form takes." Add on Second Slam and Jaws of Death and maybe even some Totemist levels for Girallon Claws and you've got a very convincing Transformer. Swift action, go all beasty, get in there and claw with your buzzsaw blades, rock drills, etc.