PDA

View Full Version : Half Dragon and Dragon Disciple Breath Weapons

Auramis
2013-08-25, 07:32 PM
The players in my house have always looked at these breath weapons as broken in their entirety. The damage for them is locked at 6d8 points of damage, so it goes from very powerful at low levels to very powerful at higher levels. My brother sought to try and edit it to make it more powerful. I think it sounds TOO powerful, though. Which one makes sense in your opinions? If you'd do neither, what would you do instead?

He wants to make it so the breath weapon does 1d6 damage for every hit die the half dragon possessed, where as the dragon disciple would do 1d6 points of damage for half his spontaneous arcane caster level (until apotheosis, when it does full caster level). I think it makes more sense to set the breath weapons at half hit die/caster level.

Invader
2013-08-25, 07:55 PM
6d8 isn't that powerful even at 4th level, it only averages 28 damage, is negated by low level spells, has an easy saving throw to make, is further decreased by a couple of feats and other class abilities, and is only usable once per day.

I'll assume you meant it was under powered at high level which I'd agree with but again it's a once a day ability so it's not going to be spectacular.

Personally 1d6 a level isnt over powered for the same reasons I listed above so you could go with that without talky breaking anything.

Edit* I might be misunderstanding but you can't be a half dragon, dragon disciple.

Greenish
2013-08-25, 08:00 PM
Unless you take no class levels a half dragon isn't going to recieve any more racial hit die do you'd probably want to increase it by 1d6 every level instead of hit die.Classes grant hit dice too.

Anyway, scaling every two levels is closer in line with, say, Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept, but then again, they get their Breath Weapon at will (with cooldown in the former case), not 1/day.

Invader
2013-08-25, 08:10 PM
Classes grant hit dice too.

Anyway, scaling every two levels is closer in line with, say, Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept, but then again, they get their Breath Weapon at will (with cooldown in the former case), not 1/day.

Ahh you're right for some reason I read racial hit die. I'll make the correction.

Auramis
2013-08-25, 08:22 PM
Edit* I might be misunderstanding but you can't be a half dragon, dragon disciple.

I was putting Dragon Disciple in because it turns into half dragon and it was brought up in the discussion we had. I wasn't suggesting a half dragon dragon disciple. xD

We did eventually get further in discussion and came to that conclusion. That, along with Dragon Shaman getting full range at 20 helped. I had just worried that it could potentially be a LOT more powerful with the feat that allows it to recharge as a normal dragons from Races of the Dragon.

Greenish
2013-08-25, 08:31 PM
We did eventually get further in discussion and came to that conclusion. That, along with Dragon Shaman getting full range at 20 helped. I had just worried that it could potentially be a LOT more powerful with the feat that allows it to recharge as a normal dragons from Races of the Dragon.Well, since we're tuning the system, just removing that feat would solve the problem.

Of course, whether it is, in fact, a problem, I'm not so convinced. +3 LA is a lot, even if you use buy-off, and adding a feat to that probably should result in something quite strong. I wouldn't ban it without giving it a shot first.

Invader
2013-08-25, 08:51 PM
Well, since we're tuning the system, just removing ng that feat would solve the problem.

Of course, whether it is, in fact, a problem, I'm not so convinced. +3 LA is a lot, even if you use buy-off, and adding a feat to that probably should result in something quite strong. I wouldn't ban it without giving it a shot first.

This^ Honestly for the investment I don't think 1d6/lvl is overpowered. It's really just on par with your average blasty wizard spell.