PDA

View Full Version : What Monstrous Compendium pages came in the Forgotten Realms boxed set?

Gadora
2013-08-25, 07:50 PM
I was taking stock of my meager little AD&D 2e collection last night, and discovered that the three books that I was given a while back together comprise the 1996 Forgotten Realms campaign box set. I clearly do not have the maps or other goodies that came with this, but I am not sure if I have the Monstrous Compendium pages or not. My Monstrous Compendium was won at auction, in a lot with my PHB and DMG, and, though the binder states volume one, it seems to be volumes 1-3, as well as a splash of setting specific pages.
Does anyone know what pages came with this set, so that I might confirm whether or not I have them?

I'd rather like to try an AD&D game at some point, and the scenario in here may be my best bet, assuming I can ascertain whether or not I have the materials needed for such.

Yora
2013-08-26, 06:06 AM
I saw just that question on another forum.

Aballin
Baneguard
Bonebat
Deepspawn
Dracolich
Gambado
Gibbering Mouther
Gibberling
Helmed Horror
Lock Lurker
Naga, Dark
Nishruu
Quaggoth
Tresym
Skum

Gadora
2013-08-26, 06:34 AM
:smalleek: I honestly wasn't entirely expecting an answer on this one, let alone such a fast answer (and yes, anything within twenty four hours is fast:smalltongue:). Thank you very much!

Let's see... I have... the dracolich, and nothing else. Well, it's pretty much what I expected, but I did hope... :smallfrown:

Yora
2013-08-26, 09:09 AM
Most of them are in the Monstrous Compendium Annual I as well.

However, the only critters I think would feel missing are gibberlings and skum. The others really aren't that common to play any actual relevant role. And skum only matter if you're using aboleths.
Gibberlings are actually also irrelevant, I just love those critters and would use them all the time in a low-level game. :smallbiggrin:

Gadora
2013-08-26, 05:26 PM
Sadly, the adventure calls for quaggoths, aballins, and skum.

An introductory adventure intended for a party of levels 1-3 is not where I'd expect to find an aboleth, but... well, that part of the encounter seems a thing more to evade than to fight.

hamlet
2013-08-27, 08:54 AM
Sadly, the adventure calls for quaggoths, aballins, and skum.

An introductory adventure intended for a party of levels 1-3 is not where I'd expect to find an aboleth, but... well, that part of the encounter seems a thing more to evade than to fight.

Yeah, I know that adventure. The one in the boxed set. Not terrible, but not really for first level characters.

Most of what you need to know about the monsters is written right in the module, and lots can be found in the Monstrous Manual (the book that TSR/WOTC printed up containing lots of the compendiums), but not all.

Your best bet is to buy a copy of the Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium and get them there.