PDA

View Full Version : Is Bahamut a FR 3.5 deity?

olejars
2013-08-25, 07:59 PM
I know in the main book for the campaign setting he isn't listed, but I don't have the rest of the collection of books in front of me and every search I find states the existance of Bahamut, but I'm not sure if that was WotC retconning to make up for 4e FR.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-25, 08:02 PM
I know in the main book for the campaign setting he isn't listed, but I don't have the rest of the collection of books in front of me and every search I find states the existance of Bahamut, but I'm not sure if that was WotC retconning to make up for 4e FR.

Likely, yes. If he was listed in the FRCS (which is 3.0e, FYI), he'd be listed under the Racial Pantheons for Dragons - which is not listed.

Keneth
2013-08-25, 08:10 PM
Bahamut is a Greyhawk deity (i.e. vanilla D&D). Been that way since 1st ed. as far as I can remember.

He's also a creature in Arabic mythology, so he predates D&D by a few years. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2013-08-25, 08:12 PM
RotD specifically delineates Bahamut (aka Xymor) as the god of good dragons, wind, wisdom, justice in Faerun. Also in the admittedly 2e book Cult of the Dragon.

LTwerewolf
2013-08-25, 08:50 PM
He's subservient to Torm, a very much Faerunian deity, so i assume he's in Faerune.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-25, 09:00 PM
RotD specifically delineates Bahamut (aka Xymor) as the god of good dragons, wind, wisdom, justice in Faerun. Also in the admittedly 2e book Cult of the Dragon.

Excellent find.

He's subservient to Torm, a very much Faerunian deity, so i assume he's in Faerun.

That's in 4e - in 3.5e, he's a completely independent deity.

DeltaEmil
2013-08-25, 09:07 PM
In the Forgotten Realms, Bahamut plays a minor role, and has been squeezed into the FR as also being the Untheric god Marduk, who opposed Tiamat, because every D&D player knows that Bahamuth hates Tiamat, but since Tiamat is a Babylonian deity, and there is no Bahamuth there. At best, they might have known about Behemoth, the giant earth beast (not really), but even so, it has nothing to do with the primordial chaos-entity Tiamat.
But since Tiamat is a dragon in D&D, and Tiamat exists in the Forgotten Realms, then there must also be a Bahamuth, who somehow must be shoe-horned in to be the rival of Tiamat, so why not claim that a Babylonian deity was the platinum dragon all along?

It's a square peg into a round hole situation, where they come up with rather stupid stuff like this and that god being this and that aspect of this and that god or demon prince/archdevil/daemon general. Sometimes, it works and is quite a good idea, and sometimes, it's just stupid.

Galvin
2013-08-25, 09:15 PM
There is an entry for Bahamut in the 3.5 Complete Divine.

Palanan
2013-08-25, 09:50 PM
Bahamut is mentioned several times in The Grand History of the Realms, first in the Dragonfall War and then in events taking place in late 1373. The Grand History is tagged as using 3.5 material, and came out in 2007, but I don't know if Bahamut was shoehorned in as DeltaEmil mentions.

He doesn't seem to show up in the 3.0 FRCS, nor in Faiths and Pantheons, nor in much else that I can find.

thethird
2013-08-25, 10:14 PM
There are mentions of Bahamut in Dragons of Faerun, at least at the top of my head in the description of the crown of the north wind (which is a really cool item).

BerronBrightaxe
2013-08-26, 12:19 PM
this should give you some guidelines:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bahamut

Psyren
2013-08-26, 12:39 PM
A lot of the main racial deities were just plain copied from Greyhawk to FR. Corellon, Lolth, Moradin, and Grummsh are in both for instance. I think the gnoll and kobold guys might be in both as well. So Bahamut/Tiamat, being kind of the face of dragonkind from a divine perspective, would fall into that category. (I don't think Io made it to FR, possibly to avoid confusion with Ao, especially since they have some thematic overlap beyond just their names.)

hamishspence
2013-08-26, 12:43 PM
There are mentions of Bahamut in Dragons of Faerun, at least at the top of my head in the description of the crown of the north wind (which is a really cool item).

Yup- it mentions in the description of the Dragonfall War in that book that he and Tiamat were reduced to archfiend and celestial paragon after "killing" each other, and have only recently regained lesser deity status.