PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Undetectable Spellcasting, Need Clever Opinions

Emparawr
2013-08-25, 08:27 PM
Ok so here's the deal. I'm playing in a campaign where the setting is essentially one enormous virtually world wide city, and within this city the casting of enchantment spells or telepathy powers is completely illegal and hence, I have to do everything I can to prevent my casting from being known by either observers or my targets because my sorc/psion/cerebremenacer is allllll about Mind Alteration. Here is what I have so far.

1) Through the use of various different disguise related spells on magic items it will be nearly impossible to actually discover my characters real identity. Even his allies don't know what he really looks like or his real voice, let alone his name. So this will make it quite a bit easier if I have to escape from a hairy situation without being id-ed. Or at least if I do get noticed nobody will actually know who did it because the second I'm gone I change into someone else.

2) I'm taking one level in Oracle and taking the Deaf oracle curse which applies Silent Spell to all my spells cast in all classes for free which means no verbal components. Thankfully though by manifesting Sense link on my imp familiar I can use his sense of hearing to make up for the being deafened. I was thinking of creating a custom magic item via the magic item creation rules for this but im not sure about the concentration part of it. Need to talk with my GM.

3) Im going to create an item with permanent Illusion of Calm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/illusion-of-calm) which not only prevents me from incurring AOOs for casting/manifesting but my GM also agrees would completely cover up my somatic components as onlookers would only see my illusion and dont even get a save for it unless they hit me. So no need to worry about somatic components.

4) Eschew Materials from my Sorcerer levels negates the need for basic material components. So no worry there

5) For manifesting my psion powers all I need to negate any Displays is a DC 15+spell level spellcraft check.

6) According to the rules for psychic powers "Failing a Saving Throw against Mind-Affecting Powers: If you fail your save, you are unaware that you have been affected by a power." I'm still looking to see if there is a rule like this for spellcasting or if it would just carry over via the psychic magic transparency rule.

7) Even if they do make their save it doesn't really give them any information. "Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a power that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted power you sense that the power has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area powers."

So the way I see it is with all these factors combined the only way anybody could discover that I had even manifested a power or cast a spell would be if someone in the area was actively casting Detect Magic and even then that would just tell them (if I succeeded in casting on my target) that that particular person had an aura of enchantment on them. Not what spell it was, where it came from, or any other details about it.

So what I need to know is, can anybody come up with any ideas on how I could end up having my cover blown with this combination? Any spells or abilities that could be used against me to detect what im doing? Although this campaign isn't starting up for awhile I really really really need help with this so thank you in advance for any help anyone can give.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-08-26, 12:28 AM
You're running around with a bunch of magical enchantments on. Wouldn't detect magic notice you?

Person_Man
2013-08-26, 09:52 AM
So the DM decided that anyone who wants to play a spellcaster has to sink a massive amount of resources into hiding their primary class ability? That sucks.

Anywho, Nondetection (or a custom Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location with a higher spellcaster level) seems like it would also be mandatory, since it prevents Detect spells and other divinations.

I would also probably just stick with pure Oracle as opposed to Oracle/Sorcerer. Pathfinder severely punishes multi-classing at higher levels, as you're giving up your capstone and delaying access to high level abilities. And Oracle by itself is a Tier 2 caster with a solid spell list. If you have to take a level for plot reasons, you might as well stick with it.

Another simpler solution is to buy a Ring of Invisibility. It's only dispelled if you make an attack. So you can walk around Invisible all of the time, cast buffs on your allies, Summons, terrain altering spells, etc. Since it adds a bonus to Stealth, hearing you cast over the din of battle will also be nearly impossible. And if anyone somehow miraculously figures out that you use magic (without using magic themselves to detect you), just kill them. No witnesses means no one can report you.

Emparawr
2013-08-26, 05:38 PM
Yeah as far as disguising myself goes I actually started a separate thread about that Maximized Disguise (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298482) and there were options discussed in there for masking or outright hiding the magical auras coming off of all my custom magic equipment.

@Person Man, yeah pretty much. Idk on the flip side of things it actually adds a bit of additional intrigue for me. I really had intended on playing this charcter incredibly secretively anyways and this just gives me even more incentive to do so, because the npcs of this world dont approve of a little "Harmless Mind Alteration" :).

As far as Non Detection goes I've now added that to my list for my disguising regiment. Although instead of a costly amulet I was thinking id take it as a spell known, or maybe get a page of spell knowledge for it and cast it myself once a day, since with the 1 hour per level duration I would fairl early one be able to cover myself for a large portion of the day. Heck once at caster level 12 I could slap on Extend and cover myself 24 hours a day with a single casting. I need to make this a priority on my list thought for sure.

About the oracle level, the 1 level Oracle Dip is for me to get the Deaf Curse, which as said applies silent spell to every spell I cast from any class, also hell be taking the Lore Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/lore) and the Sidestep Secret Revelation which will allow him to apply his Charsima to his AC and Reflex Saves instead of his dexterity as his dexterity is a 100 percent dump stat. Also I was thinking about taking the Extra Revelation feat at some point to get Focused Trance as well which will make any int based skill checks that arent instantaneous a breeze. Lastly it gives me access to a pair of spells that arent on the Sorc/Wiz or Psion/Wilder lists that I think fit in rather well called Command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/command) and Murderous Command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/murderous-command). So all in all it is just about the best damn 1 level dip a sorcerer could possibly take lol.

Although yes I do lose out on the capstone of any classes im taking levels in the benefits, both mechanical and fluff, of building my multiclass character the way I am far outweigh what I would have gotten from single classing. It just takes more research.

Also yes invisibility had been a big through of mine as well since as long as he isnt casting a spell at a target he could walk around with a massive stealth bonus unseen and then once I get greater invisibility even casting wouldnt be an issue. Also yes if anybody does figure out what I did I can either use memory modifictation, memory lapse, kill them, or hell even just use my command word to change my magical disguise and leave the area. They could report someone who doesn't actaully exist but it wouldn't do much good :) course I could also use the same tactic to frame people as Enchanters as well. Disguise myself as a local merchant whom I dont like and deliberately get caught casting Enchantment magic. Many possibilities.

Emparawr
2013-08-29, 06:04 PM
ok now ive got undetectable alignment to hide the fact that im evil because not all of my characters aliases are, and non detection to hide from most divination although it was pointed out to me on the paizo boards that a Commune spells cast by an npc could rat me out potentially.

Man its gonna be so much fun making up a list of different aliases for him to use with their own appearances, places within different guilds, accents, etc. Such an interesting character.