PDA

View Full Version : It's So Hot.

Morgarion
2013-08-25, 08:54 PM
It's just stupid hot out. Oh my god!

Flickerdart
2013-08-25, 09:10 PM
Drink hot tea. Your body will cool itself down better because you're tricking it into thinking it's even hotter out. Also, wear loose-fitting black clothing covering your entire body to retain the moisture, like the Bedouin.

tomandtish
2013-08-25, 10:14 PM
It's just stupid hot out. Oh my god!

I see you've had a few 100 degree days. Welcome to what we in Texas call... a normal summer. We had 90 100+ degree days in 2011 (that was a little unusual), including 22 in a row officially (another location recorded 27 but was not considered offically calibrated).

Yep. We have two temperatures. Hot and really d#$n hot.

It's been a cool year this year. Only 33 days so far and we didn't get our first till near the end of June.

Haruki-kun
2013-08-25, 10:23 PM
Two years ago I moved up to the Midwest. I did not know that it actually got hot up here. I assumed people were just shoveling snow most of the year and spending a nice cool summer during three months.

Nope. It does get to 40C/100F.

Jaycemonde
2013-08-25, 10:29 PM
It's been a cool year this year. Only 33 days so far and we didn't get our first till near the end of June.

It's been a cool year this year.

cool year this year.

cool

I'm not sure which the hell part of Texas you're living in, mate.

enderlord99
2013-08-25, 10:32 PM

I think he meant relative to other years in Texas.

Silverrida
2013-08-25, 11:01 PM
It is indeed incredibly hot.

I'd take always hot to the nonsense weather we get up in Ohio though.

Palanan
2013-08-25, 11:04 PM
Ahh, Texas.

I remember walking across campus in 112 degrees. A couple days of that and 103 didn't feel all that bad.

Jaycemonde
2013-08-25, 11:17 PM
I think he meant relative to other years in Texas.

Even then. It just ain't right stepping out into 90+ degree (Farenheit) weather in autumn. Or winter.

tomandtish
2013-08-25, 11:39 PM

Austin area. And compared to the last few years (esp. 2011 as I noted above), this one has been quite mild. Heck, I still have some green grass left in my yard this year!

I do miss snow though.

Lateral
2013-08-25, 11:42 PM
Ooh, that sounds painful. Am I glad I don't live that far south.

...Not that I will be come December, mind you. :smallsigh:
I live in Boston. Why the hell does my body hate the cold? I mean, I wear sweaters until June.

Haruki-kun
2013-08-25, 11:44 PM
Ooh, that sounds painful. Am I glad I don't live that far south.

...Not that I will be come December, mind you. :smallsigh:
I live in Boston. Why the hell does my body hate the cold? I mean, I wear sweaters until June.

I like winter... Snow is still pretty as far as I'm concerned, and cold days are nice to huddle up and keep warm in.

Lateral
2013-08-25, 11:53 PM
I like winter... Snow is still pretty as far as I'm concerned, and cold days are nice to huddle up and keep warm in.
Oh, I love snow. Well, except that I bike to school, so snow is a pain. I just... don't do cold. At all. Seriously, the second it dips below 60 I need to whip out the fleece sweatshirt, and the second it's below 40 I need to pull out the jacket that takes, like, ten minutes to put on and weighs a billion pounds.

...Though it does give me an excuse to wear the Fourth Doctor scarf. :smalltongue:

rs2excelsior
2013-08-26, 12:08 AM
It's actually been pretty cool here in southern VA. WE've had some hot days, but on the whole much cooler than normal. Especially for August, and especially in a little town we affectionately call "the vent to Hell."

Taet
2013-08-26, 12:27 AM
Hello Morgarion! Someone in the Random Banter thread was also complaining about Minnesota and the heat there. I think it was Dimonite. And the thread is the long one that ends with Random Banter. It changes name every time it restarts.

Drink hot tea. Your body will cool itself down better because you're tricking it into thinking it's even hotter out. Also, wear loose-fitting black clothing covering your entire body to retain the moisture, like the Bedouin.

I know that the tea works when you are sitting still and your body forgets to sweat. I don't know about the black clothing. Here I put the black pants away in June and I do not think I will wear them again until September.

Come to Random Banter! We have hot tea and iced tea and fancy tea too.

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-26, 01:17 AM
Friking hell it's hot here, I was mowing teh lawn Friday and had the first stages of heat stroke. :smallyuk:

Traab
2013-08-26, 06:51 AM
I see you've had a few 100 degree days. Welcome to what we in Texas call... a normal summer. We had 90 100+ degree days in 2011 (that was a little unusual), including 22 in a row officially (another location recorded 27 but was not considered offically calibrated).

Yeah, I love texas in the summer. For some stupid reason I joined the air force in june quite a few years back. Now, theoretically, we arent supposed to do diddly squat in the way of training when the temp hits like, 90 outside. Its in the regs. But I got sick and happened to see a news report on the tv set in the hospital that mentioned we hadnt had a day UNDER 90 in over a week. The next weeks forecast was about the same. And we trained every single day. Pretty sure they only let us actually stop when it broke 100, which it did, several times. Honestly makes me wonder why they dont have a summer afb in another state for training since technically, the entire damn place should spend most of june through august shut down. Hell, probably may through september if they arent going to ignore the 90s.

Morgarion
2013-08-26, 07:32 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know. It's been relatively cool and I've just gotten spoiled. I don't do either extreme very well, so I'll be complaining about the cold come January.

Since I don't have air conditioning, one trick I've been using to keep cool is to place ice (or cold packs or frozen vegetables) under my armpit or on the inside of my thigh at my groin. The idea behind it is that those are where some big veins or arteries are, so if you cool them down you cool everything down. In theory.

Serpentine
2013-08-26, 08:48 AM
> Lives in Queensland, Australia
> Is aware that I don't live in anything close to the hottest part of Australia
> In the last month of winter
> Forecast this week: 24, 26, 26, 25, 26, 27 (real degrees, of course). Cloudless skies the whole way through.
Lolzies.

This week in Darwin, NT, by the way: 31, 33, 32, 32, 31, 32. Currently 25oC at midnight.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Darwin technically doesn't actually have winter, just wet/dry.

Castaras
2013-08-26, 09:22 AM
I don't have anything near as bad as you guys or earlier on, but it's still too hot round here (26). I like less than 10 degree temperatures (Celsius, your Fahrenheit system is weird) because cool is awesome to snuggle up with people or under duvets in, and lots of hot and warming foods are much more amazing in the cold.

And it means I don't get heatstroke or sunstroke, and I have less of a chance of fainting. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2013-08-26, 09:24 AM
Silly. 26 is nearly the perfect temperature, just right for sitting in the sun or slight shade and chillaxing :smalltongue: A bit too cool for swimming - can't do that 'til at least 30, preferably 35 or 40.

razark
2013-08-26, 09:31 AM
Austin area. And compared to the last few years (esp. 2011 as I noted above), this one has been quite mild. Heck, I still have some green grass left in my yard this year!
How's the humidity up there? I'd be able to take our Gulf Coast summers better if it wasn't so damn humid here.

I don't have anything near as bad as you guys or earlier on, but it's still too hot round here (26).
Too hot?!? I look forward to the days when the AC can keep the temperature that low in the house!

rs2excelsior
2013-08-26, 10:14 AM
For all the poor souls befuddled at the Celsius scale (as I am) or the Farenheit scale:
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/temperature/

26C is about 79F. That's not bad. It's cooler than that inside in AC, but summers here never really get below 80 (~27) in the daytime. And we break 100 (~38) regularly.

35-40 (95-104)? Yeah, that's rough. Though we get there often. It's rather humid here too, though, and I don't know if that's the case where you are.

Flickerdart
2013-08-26, 10:16 AM
26 is too hot. Low 20s, high teens is the ideal weather.

Serpentine
2013-08-26, 10:19 AM
I would like to reiterate that I'm in winter right now, and hitting 27oC.
Last year I was in the UK (Scotland for winter, even), and the year before in the New England region in New South Wales where all the towns are named after places in Scotland, and it fairly regularly snows in winter (albeit not much). I'm being all flippant about it, but it actually is kinda weirding me out.

Castaras
2013-08-26, 10:21 AM
Ahh, I love my house. We have no AC but it's cool and nice. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2013-08-26, 10:22 AM
Too be fair, I live in Ct and the last week or two has stayed more or less around the 80 range. So even living in new england you arent safe from hot weather. And my computer tower is a gorram FURNACE right by my legs, so I tend to need to turn on the ac sooner than the rest of the house would like.

razark
2013-08-26, 10:32 AM
26C is about 79F. That's not bad. It's cooler than that inside in AC...
Not when your landlord installs an AC system that's inadequate for the space.

Cespenar
2013-08-26, 10:50 AM
26 is too hot. Low 20s, high teens is the ideal weather.

This, definitely. High enough for a single T-shirt yet low enough to not sweat. Just perfect.

Hmm. Is there a place where it's around 20 all year long? :smalltongue:

Amridell
2013-08-26, 10:51 AM
I live in Oregon, so no one up here is even have used to the heat. When we have 85° days, people start blasting AC, staying inside all day, the ice cream comes out at 70°...

I love this state.

Astral Avenger
2013-08-26, 11:12 AM
Oh, I love snow. Well, except that I bike to school, so snow is a pain. I just... don't do cold. At all. Seriously, the second it dips below 60 I need to whip out the fleece sweatshirt, and the second it's below 40 I need to pull out the jacket that takes, like, ten minutes to put on and weighs a billion pounds.

...Though it does give me an excuse to wear the Fourth Doctor scarf. :smalltongue:
Yea, I'm a Nordic skier and I bike to school year round, in the winter the snow is a pain for that, but its good for skiing, so I deal. In the summer the trick is you dump a quart of ice water on your head before you start biking somewhere and evaporative cooling dries it and keeps you cool by the time you get to wherever you're going. I'm fairly lucky, I handle both temperature extremes well, I'm out skiing in 0 (~-18) degree weather with two layers on and I go for bike rides & canoe races in 100 (~38) degree weather.

Silly. 26 is nearly the perfect temperature, just right for sitting in the sun or slight shade and chillaxing :smalltongue: A bit too cool for swimming - can't do that 'til at least 30, preferably 35 or 40.
Meh, I was swimming in the Canadian subarctic this "summer" on 35 (~2) degree days in 32 (0) degree water. At least I waded out, dunked under, scrubbed down and ran out, but my head went under, it totally counts as swimming... The cool thing is once you dunk in that cold of water you don't feel so cold anymore, all the temperature sensitive nerves in your skin are numbed by the cold, so you feel fine once you get out of the water.
A lot of places in my area (Minneapolis) follow a "rule of 120" or 150, where they close their beaches to the public if the air temperature + water temperature is below 120 (or 150). Personally I follow a rule of "water must be liquid to swim." :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2013-08-26, 01:28 PM
I think swimming really depends more on water temperature than ambient temperature, though those are related. I wouldn't go swimming on the Cape when it's, say, 75º, but I'd swim in, say, Hawaii at that temperature.

tomandtish
2013-08-26, 04:45 PM
How's the humidity up there? I'd be able to take our Gulf Coast summers better if it wasn't so damn humid here.

Humidity is much lower than the gulf coast. We average 40-50% during the day.

Quick clarification. i was born in Ohio. Lived there for 2 years, upstate NY for a year, and Boston for a year. Moved to Houston area (League City) when I was 4, and lived there till I went to college. So 4-18 (and summers till 22) was in a high humidity area). Went to college north of Dallas and now live in Austin area. So 23 - on lived in a low humidity area (but higher temperatures than the Houston area.

Humidity is funny. I could go from 90 degrees in Houston to 100 degrees in Dallas, and it felt cooler. On the other hand, since I always felt miserable beginning May until end of September, it's only a question of how miserable. I never adapted to the heat but love cold. I wear shorts year round and love swimming in the ocean or gulf in January.

I would like to reiterate that I'm in winter right now, and hitting 27oC.
Last year I was in the UK (Scotland for winter, even), and the year before in the New England region in New South Wales where all the towns are named after places in Scotland, and it fairly regularly snows in winter (albeit not much). I'm being all flippant about it, but it actually is kinda weirding me out.

Not that unusual for us to hit upper 70s low 80s in December here. Heck, our average high never gets below 60. My A/C pretty much comes on in late March and will be on through October.

Don't worry about being weirded out. Experiencing a new extreme of temperature is like visiting a new country for the first time. It's all "wow" and "cool" (or "hot") at first. And you notice the differences that make it seem better than home. But after a while you start noticing the things that aren't so nice.

Snow is fun. Snowball fights, snowmen, etc. Till you are in Day 46 of it and it takes you 3 times as long to get anywhere and your fingers snap off everytime you bump them...

warty goblin
2013-08-26, 08:39 PM
Really, it isn't the heat. It's the humidity. Walking out into the sun this afternoon was like getting slapped in the face by a boiled fish. Just walking two miles left me literally dripping. Yesterday I went grocery shopping, and the nearly three mile walk back carrying the week's nutrition just about landed me a nice case of heat stroke.

It's the glorious thing about living in the midwest. Wait five minutes, and the weather will probably be worse.

razark
2013-08-27, 09:42 AM
Moved to Houston area (League City) when I was 4, and lived there till I went to college. So 4-18 (and summers till 22) was in a high humidity area).
I was born and raised in Clear Lake City. College in East Texas. For some reason, back to south-east Houston after college.

Humidity is funny. I could go from 90 degrees in Houston to 100 degrees in Dallas, and it felt cooler.

Really, it isn't the heat. It's the humidity. Just walking two miles left me literally dripping.
Humidity is evil. Any list of tips for staying cool in the heat seems to assume that you are in a dry heat. Things like "eat something spicy" or "drink hot tea" to make you sweat, or "put a wet towel on your neck".

warty goblin
2013-08-27, 10:33 AM
Humidity is evil. Any list of tips for staying cool in the heat seems to assume that you are in a dry heat. Things like "eat something spicy" or "drink hot tea" to make you sweat, or "put a wet towel on your neck".

Yeah, the only tips I have for really humid heat are basically air conditioning, or getting used to suffering. Supposed to hit 104 here today, at 60% humidity, and a sun that feels like the business end of a blowtorch.

Makes me really happy I don't do road construction.

Remmirath
2013-08-27, 11:59 PM
It's been quite hot here this week, although I'm hoping it'll be the last hot week of the year (it certainly ought to be). Low-to-mid eighties I suppose isn't considered hot by some of you here, but it was in the mid eighties and very humid today, and that made dragging a bunch of broken down furniture outside not very fun at all.

I don't do well in heat in general, which is mostly okay where I live, since it typically only gets hot at most three months out of the year. Mid sixties to low seventies is my preferred temperature, and I consider anything above the mid seventies to be really only fit for swimming outdoors, and otherwise probably best to keep indoors. I'll wear a sweater if it's below sixty, a jacket if it's much below fifty, and I usually won't break out any actual winter coat until it gets down to the twenties. Snow I like so long as I don't need to shovel mass quantities of it or drive anywhere except short distances in the city (I don't have a car that's terribly happy about ill-plowed slushy roads).

The few times I've been out in dry heat I've found it's a bit easier to tolerate, and the few times I've been in more humid and hot places I've found it nearly impossible to survive. All in all, I'd be much more likely to move north than south.

MilesTiden
2013-08-28, 12:09 AM
See, where I live there's two seperate week long periods where it gets about... 25 degrees, the rest of the time it's 10-20, often more towards 10. Yay, ridiculous fog and geography! (Pacifica is in a sort of valley, right by the coast, south of San Fransisco) 10-15 is about t-shirt weather for me. :smalltongue:

Red Rubber Band
2013-08-28, 12:53 AM
> Lives in Queensland, Australia
> Is aware that I don't live in anything close to the hottest part of Australia
> In the last month of winter
> Forecast this week: 24, 26, 26, 25, 26, 27 (real degrees, of course). Cloudless skies the whole way through.
Lolzies.

This week in Darwin, NT, by the way: 31, 33, 32, 32, 31, 32. Currently 25oC at midnight.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Darwin technically doesn't actually have winter, just wet/dry.

I'm in QLD, too. And we've been having days that start at 3-6C at night and then up to 30C during the day. Good old winter. Cold nights, hot days. It's like a bloody desert :smallwink:

Kindablue
2013-08-28, 12:54 AM
Enough with the Sun already. No more Sun for a few years, OK?

SiuiS
2013-08-28, 01:02 AM

Really? The hot tea I mean. Does that work?

The black is good because it also keeps you cooler in the shade. Where could I look to learn more about the how's and why's of Bedouin attire?

Yeah. I've become a sissy native recently, since moving to the bay, but back in Death Valley, heat was nice! I used to enjoy the sensation of slowly baking. Evidenced by commenting about it being uncomfortably warm when we had a 117° spell up here.
Hot enough that if you leave a bottle of water in the sun, and then shake it, explosions happen.

razark
2013-08-28, 08:08 AM
Really? The hot tea I mean. Does that work?
No. It doesn't work at all. The idea is that it kicks your body into cool-off mode, so you sweat more. Which only means that you're sweaty and hot, because sweat never evaporates.

(Ok, so it might work in drier climates than it does here.)

rs2excelsior
2013-08-28, 08:33 AM
Mid sixties to low seventies is my preferred temperature, and I consider anything above the mid seventies to be really only fit for swimming outdoors, and otherwise probably best to keep indoors. I'll wear a sweater if it's below sixty, a jacket if it's much below fifty, and I usually won't break out any actual winter coat until it gets down to the twenties.

Really? Where're you from? Here mid-seventies is generally spring/fall weather. A day in the summer where it only gets to the low eighties is relatively cool. Although THIS summer we've had an inordinate number of overcast, cool days that were in the low 70s.

And my winter coat usually comes out in the mid-low forties :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2013-08-28, 03:23 PM
Well here in GI Joe headquarters we've learned a little trick.
you can't change the weather (unless you have a weather dominator), so there's no real point in complaining about it. Once you accept that, then those 112 degree days don't seem quite so bad.

Bartle
2013-08-29, 12:29 AM
getting used to sufferingI've found that once you get used to it, it's not really suffering anymore! :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2013-08-29, 07:00 AM
I'm in QLD, too. And we've been having days that start at 3-6C at night and then up to 30C during the day. Good old winter. Cold nights, hot days. It's like a bloody desert :smallwink:11-28 in Brisbane this week. I think a week or two ago it was more like 6-26. The change means that although a sunmer dress would he comfy during the day, I'm not game to wear one unless I know I'll be home before the evening, otherwise I'll end up cold. I think we had about a month of proper winter, where I wanted a heater.
Is weird!

ForzaFiori
2013-08-30, 08:28 PM
We've actually had a fairly mild summer - it didn't get into the 90's until the end of May, and hasn't hit 100 yet. It's basically rained since May though, so the humidity is somewhere between 80-100% most days (not that it's that low when it ISN"T raining.) which means that even our nice mild summer is freaking hot. Although, after reading this, I"m glad we usually only get 1-2 weeks of 100+ weather (usually on the dog days it'll hover right around 100) instead of 90+ :smalleek:

Remmirath
2013-09-01, 12:08 AM
Really? Where're you from? Here mid-seventies is generally spring/fall weather. A day in the summer where it only gets to the low eighties is relatively cool. Although THIS summer we've had an inordinate number of overcast, cool days that were in the low 70s.

And my winter coat usually comes out in the mid-low forties :smallbiggrin:

I'm from Michigan. The last few summers have been a bit weird, with a total of about a month in the eighties this summer and the whole bloody summer scorching hot last year, but usually the summer is pretty mild. Typical spring/fall weather here is anywhere from the upper forties to the mid sixties, though the weather's pretty unreliable and sometimes it'll either freeze or get warm while it's technically still one of those two. Some snow in early spring and late fall is not unusual.

The forecast claims it'll get down to the low seventies next week and go down from there, so that'll be nice if it happens.

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-01, 12:06 PM
11-28 in Brisbane this week. I think a week or two ago it was more like 6-26. The change means that although a sunmer dress would he comfy during the day, I'm not game to wear one unless I know I'll be home before the evening, otherwise I'll end up cold. I think we had about a month of proper winter, where I wanted a heater.
Is weird!

Ooo, I'm just an hour north of you ^.^
Yeah, I've taken to bringing a jumper to work with me. However, Winter has now ended and it's Autumn's turn to peek in! (Completely disregarding actual seasonal dates and just going with months here :smalltongue:)

Mauve Shirt
2013-09-01, 12:33 PM
The other week we had 60s* and low 70s weather, sunny, gorgeous and cool. September weather in DC.
Now its 90s and humid again. August weather. WHY, SANTA, WHY???

*Look it up yourselves, Celsius users. Stephen Fry agrees with me that Fahrenheit is better for warm temperatures.

Evandar
2013-09-01, 07:28 PM
I moved to Australia for my first year of university here, and I have been enduring my first winter. My soul got frostbite somewhere through the first month, turned black, and fell off. My will to live took 10d10 frost damage and is bleeding out. All the hail rolled crits and max damage.

OHTHEHUMANITY.

warty goblin
2013-09-01, 08:45 PM
I moved to Australia for my first year of university here, and I have been enduring my first winter. My soul got frostbite somewhere through the first month, turned black, and fell off. My will to live took 10d10 frost damage and is bleeding out. All the hail rolled crits and max damage.

OHTHEHUMANITY.

It's not cold until a guy can pee and lean on it.

Personally I love the cold. Just so long as I don't have to tend livestock in it. There's sort of a peace you get in deep winter, like the air's too frozen for sound and smells so clean you want to bathe in it, the snow is a hard, sparkling white, the sky's clear and the sun's a weak yellow thing riding the southern horizon.

My best memory of college is from a time like that. It wasn't seriously cold, maybe -10 or -15 degrees F, but cold enough it had driven the fratboys inside, so it was a rare bit of silence. I went for a walk at maybe 11:00 PM, out to the athletic fields. That was far enough a person could see the stars pretty well. At that temperature the atmosphere gets real still, so the stars are extremely vivid and clear. I lay back in the snow and stared up at the sky. Stayed that way for maybe ten minutes, drinking in the silence, and the smell of the air and the peace of it all.

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-01, 11:37 PM
It's not cold until a guy can pee and lean on it.

And there are no places like that in Oz.

Evandar, where are you staying?

warty goblin
2013-09-01, 11:42 PM
And there are no places like that in Oz.

Evandar, where are you staying?

It's the joy of living in the middle of the US: the summer highs can be over a hundred, and the winter lows can be -40. Pretty much anywhere I go can be seen as an improvement in one direction or the other.

Lateral
2013-09-02, 12:50 AM
It's the joy of living in the middle of the US: the summer highs can be over a hundred, and the winter lows can be -40. Pretty much anywhere I go can be seen as an improvement in one direction or the other.

Oof. Upper Midwest, yeah? Nothing like a place over a thousand miles from the nearest ocean to put your climate woes in perspective.

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-02, 01:37 AM

That's a rather large temperature range. I could understand an average of -25~ to 80~... but -40 to 100+... :smallfrown: It would mean I'd have to own more than board shorts :smallwink:

warty goblin
2013-09-02, 09:21 AM
That's a rather large temperature range. I could understand an average of -25~ to 80~... but -40 to 100+... :smallfrown: It would mean I'd have to own more than board shorts :smallwink:

I think of it as a fringe benefit: it's a cast-iron excuse for owning lots of fun clothes. Otherwise I'd have no justification for my absurd number of winter coats.

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-02, 09:47 PM
I think of it as a fringe benefit tax: it's a cast-iron excuse for owning lots of fun clothes. Otherwise I'd have no justification for my absurd number of winter coats.

FTFY. Because the clothes have to come from somewhere (ie the wallet/purse) :smalltongue:

On a similar note, I suck at shopping for clothes. I'm either too indecisive, picky or tight to buy clothes. Not sure which it is yet.

warty goblin
2013-09-03, 10:43 AM
FTFY. Because the clothes have to come from somewhere (ie the wallet/purse) :smalltongue:

They aren't free, but good winter clothes wear a very long time. Not those fancy super-modern ultra-fiber things that look like candy cane vomit, but the good old standbys of heavy denim or canvas, wool, goose down, and leather. They don't tear easy, they can be mended, they don't melt or do anything strange when singed a bit in a fire, they're comfortable, and they look good. Wool even insulates when wet, and when it comes to breaking the wind, I've never found anything in the same league as good, thick leather.

Seriously, a good coat can last a decade of hard use if you take care of it.

On a similar note, I suck at shopping for clothes. I'm either too indecisive, picky or tight to buy clothes. Not sure which it is yet.
I love clothes shopping. It's almost as much fun as jewelry shopping, although at least with clothes I get to wear them. Sadly, since jewelry doesn't really code 'male' in modern society (and I'd come off way too hippy if I did wear any), I only buy jewelry for other people.

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-03, 07:26 PM
I love clothes shopping. It's almost as much fun as jewelry shopping, although at least with clothes I get to wear them. Sadly, since jewelry doesn't really code 'male' in modern society (and I'd come off way too hippy if I did wear any), I only buy jewelry for other people.
One day. I'm sure one day I'll have my moment of clothes shopping. And it will be glorious.
I've pretty much fallen out of the habit of wearing jewellery. I used to wear a necklace, bracelet, and a few rings. Hell, I've even stopped wearing watches. Nothing seems to last when I wear it :smallfrown: Well, except for my rings and this cotton bracelet I got from a monk in Cambodia.
I used to get asked about the stuff I wore all the time when I was younger. Though what I wore really wasn't overboard or different :smallconfused: But then people either grew up, stopped caring, or got used to it :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2013-09-03, 07:42 PM
One day. I'm sure one day I'll have my moment of clothes shopping. And it will be glorious.
I've pretty much fallen out of the habit of wearing jewellery. I used to wear a necklace, bracelet, and a few rings. Hell, I've even stopped wearing watches. Nothing seems to last when I wear it :smallfrown: Well, except for my rings and this cotton bracelet I got from a monk in Cambodia.
I used to get asked about the stuff I wore all the time when I was younger. Though what I wore really wasn't overboard or different :smallconfused: But then people either grew up, stopped caring, or got used to it :smalltongue:
Yeah, I already wear my hair longer than most women, don't shave my beard, and dress in a rather... rural fashion most of the time*. Add jewelry and I'll edge into full on hippy territory. Or if I'm wearing my biker jacket, serious white trash. I get shouted at enough by random people as it is.

*When I was in college, the students would completely ignore me. All the maintenance people said hi though, since I usually wore blue jeans, a longsleeved work shirt of some sort, work boots, and a wide brimmed hat. Most of the students complained about getting harassed by locals when they left campus, I always fit in better.

Brother Oni
2013-09-03, 08:20 PM

I agree. Currently early morning here and it's already 24C and 92% humidity. The temperature's expected to reach 28 later. :smallsigh:

The last time I was here, I had a week's holiday in Japan afterwards, which was even hotter (30-32C minimum) but a lot drier - it was a lot easier keeping cool.

razark
2013-09-04, 08:39 AM
I agree. Currently early morning here and it's already 24C and 92% humidity. The temperature's expected to reach 28 later.
8:00 AM
28C with a high of 34
Humidity 87%

The overnight low tonight is showing as 24...

rs2excelsior
2013-09-05, 06:18 AM
It wasn't seriously cold, maybe -10 or -15 degrees F,

Dear God. I read this and my mouth fell open. 10 or 15 degrees is seriously cold here in good ol' Virginia, and anything in the negatives is virtually unheard of.

thorgrim29
2013-09-05, 06:56 AM
Well, summer's done.... it's 9 degrees (Celcius) outside right now.... Wonderful:smallfrown:

Castaras
2013-09-05, 07:01 AM
I wanna be where you are if it's 9 C. I miss reasonable temperatures. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2013-09-05, 08:10 AM

OHTHEHUMANITY.Guessing you're down in Victoria or Tasmania? Either that or up in the mountains, like New England.

Remember how I was talking about it being weirdly warm for winter? We're in the first week of spring now, and it's colder than it has been for weeks (at least it is when the sun's behind a cloud). Friggen Brisbane.

warty goblin
2013-09-05, 08:49 AM
Dear God. I read this and my mouth fell open. 10 or 15 degrees is seriously cold here in good ol' Virginia, and anything in the negatives is virtually unheard of.

The coldest I've ever seen in Iowa is -35 to -40. The negative twenties aren't that uncommon, or at least they didn't used to be.

Mind, when I visited my sister in the Canadian arctic for a week, it never got above -30. Damn that was fun though.