PDA

View Full Version : Magical or Knife focused build, for a Stump Knife?

CyberThread
2013-08-25, 11:30 PM
Now Consider this from the perspective of someone who has to level up from One, all the way up to 20.

Stump Knife, is a exotic weapon from arms and equipment, that does 1d4/19-20, but if you use the weapon more then once on the same target, the critical range goes to 17-20.

For quality of life for nearly all levels, and being useful. What would be better, a sneak/skill based knife fighter and all the various PRC's that come with it, to use a exotic weapon stump knife.

Or some sort of medium bab or full bab magical class, that would enhance your abilities and enhance the knife (weapon channel or divine buffs whatever), and level that up towards 20?

Lateral
2013-08-25, 11:36 PM
The second one is generally better, simply by virtue of being a casting class. However, if you're building off of a stump knife, you're going to want to optimize critical hits- even with a single multiplier, you're getting 13-20 crit range. Flat damage bonuses, damage bonuses that are multiplied on a crit, and effects that only activate on a crit are going to be your friends.

Nettlekid
2013-08-25, 11:36 PM
Soulknife.

Anything that can go into Kensai would be pretty good, since Kensai is all about enhancing your personal weapon. The feat Ancestral Relic might also work, although that's a weird relic. Alternatively, any kind of piratey class like Dread Pirate or Scarlet Corsair might fit thematically, and allow for stabbin's.

EDIT: Also, with that insane crit range, it might be worth it to use the Disciple of Dispater from BoVD to get...well, an insaner crit range. 17-20 will be tripled to 9-20, and if you allow 3.5's Improved Critical to stack (the ability states that Improved Critical does stack, but that's 3.0 Improved Critical, which I've been told is different?) then it goes all the way to 5-20. Then he takes Lightning Mace+Aptitude Weapon cheese, or a weapon special ability like Prismatic Burst which activates on a crit, and goes to town!

CyberThread
2013-08-26, 02:25 PM
Well if we are considering those, should I take a look at using Tiger claw maneuvers from tomb of battle?

I think tiger has crit and pounced based damages?

Socratov
2013-08-26, 03:11 PM
If you go tbe second way, you could actaully stat up edward elric :smallamused:

Bonus pounts if the stumpknife transmutesfrom an artifucial limb.

You could try for a duskblade or spellthief/sorc with master spellthief going into abjurant champion and something martially like sneak attack fighter of some sort (I think that was the build iirc)

Darrin
2013-08-26, 03:55 PM
I think tiger has crit and pounced based damages?

There are two basic types of Tiger Claw maneuvers: make a Jump check for a single strike with bonus damage and/or some type of status effect (best used with a two-handed weapon), and a handful of boosts that go well with TWF. If you want to do something Martial Adeptish with TWF, you're better off cherry-picking Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind, and a couple other disciplines for TWF-friendly boosts, and maybe grab a couple strikes for special-case situations where TWF doesn't work so well (bypassing DR, Con damage, extra movement/status effects).

CyberThread
2013-08-26, 07:26 PM
Hmm stone dragon strikes with a stump arm and cutting through walls like butter?

JanusJones
2013-08-27, 12:29 AM
Blood In The Water from Tome of Battle gives a cumulative +1 to hit and damage for each critical rolled.

I built a double-stump character with the Slow and Shaky feats. His name was the Red Rooster, aka Captain ****, and he ruled his crew with an iron fist. Literally.

Yar.

He had one peg-leg that was a stump (the peg was a sheath) and a set of false hands to sheathe the one on his left. He carved extra hands for himself and would swap them out as the occasion demanded (the rum-drinking hand, the pipe-smoking hand, the "up yours" hand, etc.).

In combat, he'd flick off the sheaths and start whirling about on one leg and slashing. GTWF, Blood In The Water, Pouncing Charge, and Improved Critical with a pair of Stump Knives = big cumulative boosts. Leap Attack and Power Attack make for nastily effective additions once you've built up a nice bonus.

I almost considered trying to get another limb injured beyond repair so I could argue for Multiweapon Fighting.

CyberThread
2013-08-27, 02:31 AM
What do you think I can do in the early levels, like around level 3, or should do.

icks
2013-08-27, 05:57 AM
Isn't the Kukri more effective?
1d4 18-20x2 on all attacks

I play a human warblade with 2 kukris, TWF, Blood In The Water and it's pretty effective for crits.

JanusJones
2013-08-27, 08:08 AM
Blood In The Water and TWF ARE level 1. Warblade 1: EWP - Stump Knife (1st), TWF. DONE.

And no. Kukri are 18-20 - so are scimitars and rapiers, and they don't waste a feat. Improved Critical takes them to 15-20, as opposed to the Stump Knife's 13-20. Plus, having an amputee kicking ass is just style points FTW.

If you really want to break things, go look up Disciple of Dispater from the BoVD.

CyberThread
2013-08-29, 12:55 AM
Hmm enchant the stump with keen, although am still distracted on a choice of doing duskblade, a tob class, or a cleric gish.

CyberThread
2014-04-19, 10:50 PM
Am going to blow the dust off of this, instead of starting an entire new thread.

wand hilt, with other maneuvers. Should a crit stump knife build focus fully on disapter build or go towards TOB?

Kennisiou
2014-04-19, 11:27 PM
Am going to blow the dust off of this, instead of starting an entire new thread.

wand hilt, with other maneuvers. Should a crit stump knife build focus fully on disapter build or go towards TOB?

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1375/94/1375948075575.png

For real, a warblade 3 gets a nice class feature for helping secure those crit confirmations and gains access to the tiger claw discipline stance "blood in the water," which helps to pump damage even more. Swordsage can also gain access to that stance, and has some other neat maneuvers and better utility for outside of combat but lacks any class features that help with crit confirmation. Class into either class until you can level in disciple, go into disciple, then after you're done go back into maneuver classes. Best part about them is they still get stronger if you take levels in other classes, so you can multiclass as a maneuver user really nicely.