PDA

View Full Version : Long distance sniper

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-25, 11:45 PM
I'm trying to find a guide or handbook for a long distance sniper using a bow. any help is appreciated.

mattie_p
2013-08-25, 11:51 PM
I'm trying to find a guide or handbook for a long distance sniper using a bow. any help is appreciated.

You could always start with this Archery Handbook (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=642.0).

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-26, 12:31 AM
That's what gave me the idea. However it doesn't really cover sniping. Almost everything that covers is the 0 to 60' area.

Alefiend
2013-08-26, 01:04 AM
You're not going to find it easy to make a sniper in the modern sense, because the archery rules just don't like to go that way, and neither does the Spot skill (Perception in PF). As an archer myself, this makes me sad.

Much of the bonus damage that makes archers viable only works out to 30 or 60 feet. Raining death from long distance is more about being able to see the target in the first place, and hitting them at your maximum range. Sniper kills will be rare, but you can weaken an approaching enemy and/or deliver spells via arrow.

Red Rubber Band
2013-08-26, 01:19 AM
Try KSB Snow Owl's (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=653.0).

Thanatosia
2013-08-26, 02:46 AM
Deepwood Sniper sounds like the exact prestige class you're looking for. It's from the 3.0 book 'Masters of the Wild', but I don't think it was ever officially updated for 3.5 (it's not in Races of the Wild).

It's features include +10 range increments for every class level, increased crit multipliers for ranged projectile weapons, keen arrows for increased crit chance, poison use, bonuses for taking aim as a full round action, and concealment negation.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-26, 03:17 AM
The standard D&D rules basically preclude anything at really long range. No encounter starts until one side becomes aware of the other with a successful Spot or Listen check; see STARTING AN ENCOUNTER in Dungeon Master's Guide on page 22. When you add the unrealistic linear Spot and Listen penalties into the mix, even Epic characters can't become aware of threats very far away.

I don't use a lot of house rules, but linear scaling penalty for real-world logarithmic increase in difficulty was spoiling my games, so I came up with this:

Range penalties for Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm) and Listen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/listen.htm) are reduced:

From 101'-300', range penalties add -1 per additional 20'.
From 301'-600', range penalties add -1 per additional 30'.
From 601'-1000', range penalties add -1 per additional 40'.
Beyond 1000', range penalties add -1 per additional 50'.

{TABLE="head"] Distance | Penalty | | Distance | Penalty | | Distance | Penalty | | Distance | Penalty
10' | -1 | | 160' | -13 | | 450' | -25 | | 880' | -37
20' | -2 | | 180' | -14 | | 480' | -26 | | 920' | -38
30' | -3 | | 200' | -15 | | 510' | -27 | | 960' | -49
40' | -4 | | 220' | -16 | | 540' | -28 | | 1000' | -40
50' | -5 | | 240' | -17 | | 570' | -29 | | 1050' | -41
60' | -6 | | 260' | -18 | | 600' | -30 | | 1100' | -42
70' | -7 | | 280' | -19 | | 640' | -31 | | 1150' | -43
80' | -8 | | 300' | -20 | | 680' | -32 | | 1200' | -44
90' | -9 | | 330' | -21 | | 720' | -33 | | 1250' | -45
100' | -10 | | 360' | -22 | | 760' | -34 | | 1300' | -46
120' | -11 | | 390' | -23 | | 800' | -35 | | 1350' | -47
140' | -12 | | 420' | -24 | | 840' | -36 | | 1400' | -48[/TABLE]

This addresses the issue of characters being incapable of perceiving enemies at D&D encounter distances (up to 1440'). -48 is tough to make with up to 23 ranks in Spot or Listen; the -144 of the standard rules is impossible.

Segev
2013-08-26, 07:29 AM
The last time I explored this idea, I came to the perhaps odd (until you recall that they do EVERYTHING better) conclusion that your best bet for a sniper is a heavy-crossbow-wielding wizard.

Admittedly, I hadn't considered the spot/listen penalties for distance, but the wizard even has some tools to help with that and then can use it to his advantage. First off, he has a Familiar, which can spot for him to a limited degree. Preparing with a masterwork spot tool (spyglass?) helps a little more.

Secondly, the heavy crossbow's 110 ft. range increment translates to a maximum of 1100 ft. range before it can't shoot any further at all.

Firing from long range imposes a -2 penalty on your to-hit per range increment you're out, and wizards aren't known for their high accuracy with standard weaponry. However, you're a sniper. You're not about spamming shots constantly. You're about lining up your shot and taking it from a distance that keeps you out of danger (and often out of sight - again, while I'd not considered them before, the penalties to Spot/Listen over distance work strongly to your favor, here).

The secret is True Strike. Normally not a terribly useful spell due to a plethora of issues. But all you need is your innocuous-seeming Familiar, who you know to watch for, drawing your attention to the right square for your target, and True Strike overcomes even Total Concealment while providing you a +20 insight bonus to hit!

Heck, if your DM allows it, have your Bat familiar shrouded in an Obscuring Mist, and have it spot for you by flying directly over the chosen target. You can identify the square that is the center of the Mist, just by examination. The DM might try to say you can't make that judgment from a distance, though, which could foil this. I believe the RAW support that you're supposed to be able to do this. It would ensure that your targets have no idea what's happening, and your True Strike makes the concealment meaningless to you.

You can fire every other round, as long as you have True Strikes available. Reloading is easy: your Unseen Servant does it for you and hands you back your loaded heavy crossbow as a free action.

Get yourself a steed; you won't typically be firing from its back, certainly not while it's moving (usually), but the increased speed and mobility ensures you can catch up with or get away from targets long before they can close the extra distance.

Coldare
2013-08-26, 08:23 AM
MGP's Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 2, Features a 5 Level Sniper Prc

Some Sneak attack Dmg to within 5 Range Increments...

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-26, 08:39 AM
-snip-

I was thinking factotum or (psionic) artificer personally.

MilesTiden
2013-08-26, 08:43 AM
Err, Cragtop Archer anyone? That class is literally made for this.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-26, 08:47 AM
The problem with Cragtop Archer is that while you get ridiculous range increment, unless you are scrying you won't be able to see your enemy, besied "normal" D&D usually doesn't support long distance encounters.

Personally I would only play a sniper like that in a 2 person game (the other character being able to use scry AKA your Spotter) and it would need to be specifically tailored for those ranges, could be fun as a one maybe two-shot.

Spiryt
2013-08-26, 08:50 AM
Does anyone actually seriously use those Spot etc. rules as written?

In many cases, they are of course alright, but when human/elf/whatever with healthy eyesight is supposed to have problems with spotting walking bear from 300 feet then handwaving it is pretty much given....

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-26, 03:39 PM

In many cases, they are of course alright, but when human/elf/whatever with healthy eyesight is supposed to have problems with spotting walking bear from 300 feet then handwaving it is pretty much given....

yes, yes people do.

that depends. a bear at fun run across a open feild is actually easy to see 300 ft away in dnd. the average person can take 10 on it iirc. A walking bear can actually be hard to spot irl 300 ft away with no aids.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-26, 03:49 PM

Not once in a real game have I seen a distance penalty applied to a Spot check.

Also, you're supposed to automatically notice things which aren't hidden or otherwise concealed. Otherwise, we would need to roll Spot for every object in a dungeon.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-26, 07:22 PM
You want to get the biggest crit multiplier on your bow possible, then spam hunter's mercy to get a crit on the first hit.

Palanan
2013-08-26, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lightlawbliss
A walking bear can actually be hard to spot irl 300 ft away with no aids.

I once spotted a bear across a valley in Colorado, on the opposite mountainside, at a distance of somewhere between half a mile and a full mile. That was clear air, and he was on an open grassy slope. I will defer to the bear hunters on how difficult it may be to spot one in the woods.

Originally Posted by Slipperychicken
Not once in a real game have I seen a distance penalty applied to a Spot check.

Only rarely, myself, and usually when there's some element of camouflage involved. Curmudgeon's chart is great, but I have a feeling most DMs just wing it with little impact to the game.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-26, 08:43 PM
Here you are, my own take on ksbsnowowl's classic sniper, able to one-shot just about anything from miles away:

The Murderous Sniper

BUILD STUB: Human, Ranger 2/Wilderness Feat Rogue 4/Deepwood Sniper 7/Chameleon 7

PROGRESSION:

(Dedicated to an Elder Evil of your choosing.)

1. Feat Rogue1- PBS, Precise Shot, Able Learner, Evil Brand
2. Ranger1- Track
3. Ranger2- Rapid Shot, Darkstalker
4. Feat Rogue2- WF (Comp. Longbow)
5. Feat Rogue3- Blood War Conscript
6. Feat Rogue4- Far Shot, Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt)
7. Deepwood Sniper1-
8. DWS2-
9. DWS3- Knowledge Devotion
10. DWS4- Murderous Intent
11. Chameleon1-
12. Chameleon2- Martial Stance (Assassin’s Stance)
13. DWS5-
14. DWS6-
15. DWS7- Apostate, Craven
16. Chameleon3-
17. Chameleon4-
18. Chameleon5- Maiming Strike
19. Chameleon6-
20. Chameleon7- Insane Defiance

All of the relevant stealth and tracking goodies, including Darkstalker, excellent skill ranks, and any stealth related spells as needed (including spells like Clairvoyance or Share Husk to see from afar - can't snipe 'em if you can't see 'em!).
Poison Use, plus Chameleon spells for minor creation to make poisons on demand.
Murderous Intent automatically confirms any crits versus favored enemies. Arcane Hunter gives a huge range of favored enemies (anyone who can cast spells or invocations), and the Chameleon floating bonus feat can pick up additional enemies on demand via Extra Favored Enemy.
Kaorti resin arrows allow for ×6 crits, for hunter's mercy/Murderous Intent fun.
Hunter's eye brings the sneak attack up to +8d6 for 4 points of Charisma damage (which is multiplied on a crit, unlike the variable sneak attack damage would be). That's a solid 24 points of Charisma damage on every successful crit. Sniper's shot lets you do this from any range.

So, assuming a +2 collision energy bow with GMW cast on it, and a +4 strength bonus, we can look at something like...

1d8 +2 FE +20 craven +1 Blood War Conscript +5 enhancement +5 collision +4 strength +17 power shot +5 knowledge devotion = 1d8+59 base damage. So with a single arrow, we're looking at a MINIMUM of 360 points of damage, plus poison and 24 points of Charisma damage. That's just from the first shot that successfully hits - if this fails to KO, the remaining shots should.

Red Rubber Band
2013-08-26, 10:11 PM
*snip*

I must be having a massive brain fart, but how do you get a minimum of 360 damage from 1d8+59?

Edit: Ah, wait. You're auto-critting, aren't you?

lsfreak
2013-08-26, 10:17 PM
yes, yes people do.

that depends. a bear at fun run across a open feild is actually easy to see 300 ft away in dnd. the average person can take 10 on it iirc. A walking bear can actually be hard to spot irl 300 ft away with no aids.

The problem is, that's ridiculous too. If it's a forest, or ridiculously tall grass, or hilly ground, or something else that actually BLOCKS line of sight, sure. But 300 feet is not far at all (less than a city block, where I live).

As an example:
This bluff (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201101686317507228672.0004a27f5a4a79a824d5 c&msa=0&ll=44.870255,-110.202565&spn=0.00154,0.004128) (streetview mode, zoom in on the parked truck) was the single best wolf-watching spot in Yellowstone last time I was there (and judging by the cars lining up, was again when the Street View guy went past). Now, look across the river on the south side of the road, adjusting your view so that the two large trees of just right of center. Directly out from there, between the river and the treeline was the wolf pack's den. Despite the horrendous picture quality, you can still make out the fisherman, between 150 and 200 feet away. The brown bushes beyond the opposite bank are roughly bear-sized, maybe a little bigger, and more than 300 feet away. The two trees are in the 500-600 range; dunno about you, but I'd wager I could see someone standing under those trees pretty easily if they weren't hiding (and looking out my window at a tree two blocks away confirms this). The treeline is beyond a mile, and between the vantage point and the dark-on-light it's pretty easy to see individual bison nearly that far away. If you look to the right, you can see the mountain ridge drop away, and a patch of open ground just before it does; someone spotted a black bear there and once you knew where it was you could see it without binoculars/spotting scope, though it became impossible once it reentered the trees (EDIT: And I should add that it *was* basically just a black speck at that distance unaided). (The wolves, being shorter than the grass and the same color as it, blended in extremely well of course).

Now, the rules do state that Spot is only for things that are hiding or difficult to see, but makes no attempt to clarify what that means.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-26, 10:18 PM
I must be having a massive brain fart, but how do you get a minimum of 360 damage from 1d8+59?

Edit: Ah, wait. You're auto-critting, aren't you?

Yes, with a x6 multiplier. Murderous Intent + the ability to select a new favored enemy every day + Hunter's Mercy.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-26, 10:43 PM
Yes, with a x6 multiplier. Murderous Intent + the ability to select a new favored enemy every day + Hunter's Mercy.

Still needs to hit, though. What's the attack bonus on that thing? You seem to be using a lot of Power Shot.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-08-26, 10:46 PM
My version of the "long-distance sniper" was a Factotum with copious amounts of Inspiration (through both Factotum levels and Font of Inspiration), who uses the Sniper's Shot spell in a wand chamber, combined with various divination spells (Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, Arcane Eye, Prying Eyes) to scout out my targets, all available (albeit delayed) through Arcane Dilettante. Combat is initiated from max range as soon as your sensory scouts pick something up, and since you can "see" your target remotely, you incur no extraordinary penalties to Spot or to-hit (beyond the standard range increment penalties, and, as necessary, line of effect for the shot). Unload as many Inspiration points as you want into that one attack: I find the best method for me was to have a use-activated item of True Strike which I use in the prepatory round before I fire, then burn one point on INT to damage and the rest (a number that, for all intents and purposes, is rather high if you're plopping all your feats into it) into Cunning Strike, on a target that is most assuredly flat footed.

For extra "headshot" feel, dip Assassin, and spend three rounds observing the target through your sensors so that you can deliver a Death Attack. The save DC is Int-based, but doesn't scale tremendously well, so don't count on much here in a high-op game besides the glory of the gimmick.

Saintheart
2013-08-26, 11:01 PM
For extra "headshot" feel, dip Assassin, and spend three rounds observing the target through your sensors so that you can deliver a Death Attack. The save DC is Int-based, but doesn't scale tremendously well, so don't count on much here in a high-op game besides the glory of the gimmick.

Won't work. Death Attack specifically requires (a) a melee weapon and (b) delivering it via sneak attack, i.e. 30 or 60 feet maximum. Headshotting targets from 100 feet away with a bow doesn't meet those requirements.

(On the other hand, poison builds can work up to mid-levels with a Death Attack if you're using a CON-based poison like Deathblade or Black Lotus just ahead of the Death Attack (they start at DC 20). Assassination weapons will raise the DC by about +3 if you use Greater Magic Weapon on it; ambush feats like Staggering Strike and Venomous Strike also nerf all the target's saves for one round with double effect: first to get the poison past the opponent's Fort defence to damage CON, and also with the Death Attack. The poison damage to CON further nerfs the target's Fort save against the Death Attack that's rolled afterward.)

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-26, 11:04 PM
-snip-

I'm sure i'm missing something stupid but where does the cha damage (Which is multiplied on crits) come from?

and on the subject of the bear: all the bears I have seen are in forests or thick grass so that might adjust my perspective on the subject.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-26, 11:05 PM
Here you are, my own take on ksbsnowowl's classic sniper, able to one-shot just about anything from miles away:

Arcane Hunter gives a huge range of favored enemies (anyone who can cast spells or invocations)
No, not anyone. From page 32 of Complete Mage:
The bonuses granted apply to any character capable of casting arcane spells or using invocations (but not other spell-like abilities).

12. Chameleon2- Martial Stance (Assassin’s Stance) ...
15. DWS7- Apostate, Craven From page 17 of Champions of Ruin:
Prerequisites: Sneak attack class feature, cannot be immune to fear. Sneak attack from a general feat definitely doesn't satisfy the class feature requirement.
Hunter's eye brings the sneak attack up to +8d6 From page 115 of Player's Handbook II:
You deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per three caster levels How are you getting CL 18 when Divine Focus gives you CL = 2x Chameleon level (7)?

:confused:

Averis Vol
2013-08-27, 12:17 AM
When I want to shoot someones face from a long range, my go to "sniper" is basically a normal archer build, preferably chocked full of sneak attack and craven bonuses on a great crossbow, is just to chill in my house and use a pair of ring gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm). This works best if you permanency invisibility on the outgoing gate and give it to a flying animal/animal companion/familiar/ w/e. have it fly to within sneak attack range and just fire away through it. If you have a lenient DM he should let this satisfy and qualify for sneak attack.

Though it could also flop terribly, so take it as a light hearted joke build.

geekintheground
2013-08-27, 01:20 AM
didnt emperor tippy build something that could hit anything from something like 1000 miles away? iirc it wasnt an archer, but it might have something useful maybe?

tyckspoon
2013-08-27, 01:44 AM
Ok, ok, try this..

Be a Dragonwrought Kobold Paladin (stop me if you've heard this one before..)
Get Cha 25 (Start 18, +3 aging bonuses, +2 Magic-Blooded.. and then, eh, figure it out. Buy a +2 Cha item if nothing else suggests itself.)

Take Ranged Smite Evil from Exalted Deeds.
Take as many instances of Great Smiting from the Epic Level Handbook as you can.
Consider dipping a level of Ranger, or just invest in UMD, because Hunter's Mercy.
Get a wand of Devastating Smite and a wand of Hunter's Mercy.

Crit-Smite your target with no range limitation for (x3 crit x2 Devastating Smite x[y] instances of Great Smiting) your Paladin level. Assuming no especial cheese beyond that already used, you can get 5 instances of Great Smiting (7 normal feats, 2 used for Dragonwrought and Ranged Smite Evil) which would be a total Smite of 3+1+4 = 8 times your Paladin level, plus whatever damage you did with the arrow itself.

And then Fall because your DM thinks attacking from range is 'dishonorable', but that's a different thread.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-27, 01:49 AM
Ok, ok, try this..

Be a Dragonwrought Kobold Paladin (stop me if you've heard this one before..)
Get Cha 25 (Start 18, +3 aging bonuses, +2 Magic-Blooded.. and then, eh, figure it out. Buy a +2 Cha item if nothing else suggests itself.)

Take Ranged Smite Evil from Exalted Deeds.
Take as many instances of Great Smiting from the Epic Level Handbook as you can.
Consider dipping a level of Ranger, or just invest in UMD, because Hunter's Mercy.
Get a wand of Devastating Smite and a wand of Hunter's Mercy.

Crit-Smite your target with no range limitation for (x3 crit x2 Devastating Smite x[y] instances of Great Smiting) your Paladin level. Assuming no especial cheese beyond that already used, you can get 5 instances of Great Smiting (7 normal feats, 2 used for Dragonwrought and Ranged Smite Evil) which would be a total Smite of 3+1+4 = 8 times your Paladin level, plus whatever damage you did with the arrow itself.

And then Fall because your DM thinks attacking from range is 'dishonorable', but that's a different thread.

Still waiting for the punch line.

also, 8 times you pali level isn't that much, esspecially when you are using epic feats before epic level.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-08-27, 02:57 AM
Won't work. Death Attack specifically requires (a) a melee weapon and (b) delivering it via sneak attack, i.e. 30 or 60 feet maximum. Headshotting targets from 100 feet away with a bow doesn't meet those requirements.

(On the other hand, poison builds can work up to mid-levels with a Death Attack if you're using a CON-based poison like Deathblade or Black Lotus just ahead of the Death Attack (they start at DC 20). Assassination weapons will raise the DC by about +3 if you use Greater Magic Weapon on it; ambush feats like Staggering Strike and Venomous Strike also nerf all the target's saves for one round with double effect: first to get the poison past the opponent's Fort defence to damage CON, and also with the Death Attack. The poison damage to CON further nerfs the target's Fort save against the Death Attack that's rolled afterward.)

Ah, yes, yes. Sorry, I was away from books, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-27, 04:44 AM
Distance penalties getting you down? Want to snipe but can't Spot your targets? Sounds like you need a Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM! Available in Raven or Dove, this handy little creature will become your second pair of eyes at any distance. That's right, any distance! Those orcs at your maximum range won't know what hit them!

"But," you might say, "I'm terrible with animals! How am I supposed to make proper use of this wonderful but very living companion?" Have no fear! Thanks to our patented Easy-Summon Technology, anyone can use the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM! Not only does the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM obey all of your mental commands, but when you don't need it any more, just dismiss it! That's right, the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM exists only while you're using it! No droppings, no annoying squawking, no townspeople mistaking you for a wizard! You don't even need to feed it!

"That's nice, but surely a creature such as this would be terribly expensive, and after buying my +1 Splitting Force Dragonbone Greatbow of Distance I'm afraid I don't have much to spend." Nonsense! Call in the next twenty minutes, and you can have the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM for the low, low price of one Binder level and the Improved Binding feat! BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Buy the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM now, and we'll also give you the following abilities for free:

* Poison Use
* Invisibility
* Sudden Strike 1d6

So don't wait! Order your Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM today!

Side effects of the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM may include blackening of the tongue and teeth, increased tendency to fall in love, and obsessive need to poison your arrows. Tome of Magic is not liable for the actions of any Clerics or religious organizations who see you use the Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM or exhibit its side effects. Product does not function in an Antimagic Field.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-27, 07:14 AM
I'm sure i'm missing something stupid but where does the cha damage (Which is multiplied on crits) come from?

Maiming Strike, an ambush feat from Exemplars of Evil that lets you sacrifice 2d6 die of sneak attack for a point of Charisma damage. If you can qualify, it's pretty much always worth taking toward the higher levels, because while straight sneak attack is usually better in the early game, HP tends to scale much faster than Charisma does.

No, not anyone. From page 32 of Complete Mage:

Fair enough - but again, that was just taken so I'd have a good "general" favored enemy. The fun trick is being able to pick a new favored enemy every day via the Chameleon's floating bonus feat being used to pick up Extra Favored Enemy. However, barring all of that you could always spend another round of pre-buffing and add in Corrupt Weapon off the blackguard list.

From page 17 of Champions of Ruin: Sneak attack from a general feat definitely doesn't satisfy the class feature requirement.

Whether you can qualify for feats like Craven via Assassin's Stance has been debated to death; it can be omitted if you'd like - while that's a significant drop on standard damage, it does not diminish the main trick of using Maiming Strike (which does not have the "class feature" verbiage) and damage multipliers to do lots of Charisma damage at once.

Alternatively, replace the two levels of feat rogue with two levels that grant sneak attack (rogue and SA fighter, rogue and assassin, etc.). You'll have to shuffle the feat order around a bit, and it means one more dip, but it's doable. I picked this later build because it had a cleaner feel in the end, but it's not set in stone.

From page 115 of Player's Handbook II: How are you getting CL 18 when Divine Focus gives you CL = 2x Chameleon level (7)?

:confused:

Sorry, the build stub doesn't have the full write-up from the original thread where I discuss items, et al. Strand of prayer beads (karma) boosts the CL from 14 to 18 when it's time to go for the headshot.

Segev
2013-08-27, 08:01 AM
Distance penalties getting you down? Want to snipe but can't Spot your targets? Sounds like you need a Malphas-Brand Surveillance BirdTM!

I nominate this post to win the thread.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 03:27 PM
didnt emperor tippy build something that could hit anything from something like 1000 miles away? iirc it wasnt an archer, but it might have something useful maybe?

I think that was his Bird of Prey (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286818). It can pinpoint every intelligent creature within 1,000 miles and fire with a good attack bonus from like 3,300 feet away.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-27, 03:58 PM
I like Bird of Prey a lot, but it's worth noting that Mindsight doesn't let you necessarily know who is within your range, just their type and intelligence score. You might be able to make a good guess at your target, but unless you've tracked them first using other means you'll have trouble being sure you've hit the right target.

Of course, it's a druid build, and druids get Scrying and other similar spells, so it's not like that is an impossible problem to surmount, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 05:12 PM
I like Bird of Prey a lot, but it's worth noting that Mindsight doesn't let you necessarily know who is within your range, just their type and intelligence score. You might be able to make a good guess at your target, but unless you've tracked them first using other means you'll have trouble being sure you've hit the right target.

The Bird still has Telepathy, so he could just ask if he wants, or just talk to it and tease the information out (i.e. if there's no response, it's more likely to be hostile).

TuggyNE
2013-08-27, 06:46 PM

Given that this is Tippy, I assume he planned to just shoot everything and let their respective patron deities sort it out. :smalltongue:

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-28, 08:11 PM
And none of the standard action for improved attacking options boost sniping (and/or can't be made to help sniping) (ignoring the class features of classes that only do sniping)

correct?