PDA

View Full Version : Name help.

Howl
2013-08-26, 12:36 AM
So, I'm making a new character for a campaign I'm about to join and while, normally I'm fairly good at coming up with suitable names the DM has informed me that there will be name rules, that is; No names of gods or creatures from mythology, no words from the dictionary, no names from books or movies, etc. Anyways, the character is a homebrew race that is basically a Scorpionfolk except more humanoid in appearance (two legs), still has a tail and everything. He'll have a bone white shell (carapace?) and I eventually want him to have some cool title like 'the Bone Devil' or something like that. Also, he's a Psion. Some things I've come up with but don't know if sound right, some are alterations of mythological names, so I'm skirting the rules a bit; Vifrons, Malphias, Mitras, Hzoth, Hzastur, Bazael or Bzael. No idea, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lateral
2013-08-26, 12:43 AM
What kind of feel are you going for? It sounds like you're going for harsh, demonic names, so the route you seem to be taking- modifying actual names of mythological entities is pretty effective. Z's, X's, K's, B's, Greek roots, and unusual letter combinations will be your friends.

geonova
2013-08-26, 12:48 AM
B'zaxael sounds both angelic and demonic, plus i thought of it on the spur of the moment

Howl
2013-08-26, 12:50 AM
Basically that's what I'm going for. The feel I'm hoping to get is something of a darker nature, but one capable of interacting with society sociably. If that makes any sense whatsoever, being movie evil is overrated, I'm not making a villain, I just want a character that's vile on the inside. Like Tom Hanks. In any case, I just want something that fits, which is a crap-shoot until I find one that sounds right in my head in association with the image of the character. That's why I was hoping people would just spew out whatever came to mind, to get an outside perspective since my judgement is clouded due to days of pondering it.

hymer
2013-08-26, 12:52 AM
If what you've given us is indeed all the guidelines your DM has given you, then there's no problem with what you've come up with. You could go with "æasdefûWBN" and be perfectly fine by those guidelines. The DM has told you what is not acceptable, but given you no clue as to the direction s/he wants to go in. Ask. See if you can get a list of some random NPC names, so you can see what's expected from this campaign.
There's considerable difference between a naming scheme that uses Tolkien's fictional languages and one that follows ancient Roman naming customs (for two examples).

Sounds to me like the DM is tired of seeing names that give associations that do not belong in your game. I once had a player seriously trying to get me to accept that his halfling should be named 'Dildo', since it was almost exactly like 'Bilbo', just slightly changed to avoid confusion. New players will often name their characters things like 'Gimli' or 'Thor'. And while those are cool names, the connotations are heavy, and a lot of people tend to move away from that as they gain experience in naming things.

Howl
2013-08-26, 12:56 AM
If what you've given us is indeed all the guidelines your DM has given you, then there's no problem with what you've come up with. You could go with "æasdefûWBN" and be perfectly fine by those guidelines. The DM has told you what is not acceptable, but given you no clue as to the direction s/he wants to go in. Ask. See if you can get a list of some random NPC names, so you can see what's expected from this campaign.
There's considerable difference between a naming scheme that uses Tolkien's fictional languages and one that follows ancient Roman naming customs (for two examples).

Sounds to me like the DM is tired of seeing names that give associations that do not belong in your game. I once had a player seriously trying to get me to accept that his halfling should be named 'Dildo', since it was almost exactly like 'Bilbo', just slightly changed to avoid confusion. New players will often name their characters things like 'Gimli' or 'Thor'. And while those are cool names, the connotations are heavy, and a lot of people tend to move away from that as they gain experience in naming things.

Well, we've done several campaigns together, switching out as DM and basically from what I can get the overall theme is one of a melting pot of cultures and naming traditions. He's just not wanting the names to be unoriginal, which is understandable and I agree with; but for me it becomes a difficulty because if the name doesn't feel right I'm going to get my panties in a bunch and recreate the entire character until it works. =\

EDIT: Thanks for the help everyone! I finally settled on Dezir. I feel it fits.

Grayson01
2013-08-26, 08:20 PM
One of the things I do for naming my charcters is going into the races books and (normally the race of the Charcter) using the suffixes and prefixes that the books have and combining thems of the charcter to make a first name and then repat for a last name. Since you have a homebrewed race you could still use this but just pick a races chart to use or mix and match. So like you can have the Elven word for Scorpion or Devil and then put that together with the prefix word that means Mind since your a Psion. I don't have any books with me at the moment but The Drow of the Underdark has the Drow language.

Unbalanced
2013-08-26, 08:33 PM
Q'Zhax
Vischtom (Vishk-tom)
Zuvdzhagoff (Zuvd-shar-goff)
Kurcht
Gargunum
Zhivvka

Morgarion
2013-08-26, 08:41 PM
I just want a character that's vile on the inside. Like Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks in what? Real life?

Howl
2013-08-27, 05:27 PM
Tom Hanks in what? Real life?

Yes, that Tom Hanks. :)

Fax Celestis
2013-08-27, 05:41 PM
http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Enjoy.

Menzath
2013-08-27, 06:39 PM
no words from the dictionary, no names from books or movies, etc.

that's like every name ever.

Mmm best thing thematically sounding that I can think of is names that have Arabic/Egyptian/Indian(India)/Hindu background for themed type of things, although northern china has a great desert area with a large wealth of history to do name spinoffs from as well.

That's about all the desert areas that could fit for a scorpion type human esqe creature.