PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to "fix" epic spellcasting?

Devronq
2013-08-26, 02:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone has made a home-brew where they fixed the epic spell casting system. I think its pretty unanimous that its horrible and completely broken or alteast ive seen lots of people complain as much, im familiar with how it works but have never played with it in a game. Also do you think the system would be ok with just adjusting the spellcraft DC more appropriately or is there more that needs fixed about it? Also any tips about handling it would be appreciated. Im making my own homebrew and thats what im working on right now. Thank you guys again :)

TuggyNE
2013-08-26, 04:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has made a home-brew where they fixed the epic spell casting system. I think its pretty unanimous that its horrible and completely broken or alteast ive seen lots of people complain as much, im familiar with how it works but have never played with it in a game. Also do you think the system would be ok with just adjusting the spellcraft DC more appropriately or is there more that needs fixed about it? Also any tips about handling it would be appreciated. Im making my own homebrew and thats what im working on right now. Thank you guys again :)

I've seen a few, and even have one of my own WIP. Depending on what you consider the underlying problem to be — the totally freeform nature of effects coupled with mechanical entitlement in the form of Spellcraft DC guidelines, the unnecessary conflation of complexity and power, or some other flaw — one of those might work well, at least as the base. I think it's fairly clear that merely adding some tweaks to the Spellcraft calculations is not enough, though.