PDA

View Full Version : Value this homebrew item for me?

mealin
2013-08-26, 07:42 AM
Hey guys,

my DM has given us this item. I'm kinda wondering what it's worth.

Its a glove with 2 rings attached to it that grants the following stats:
- Allows you to wear 3 additional (magical) rings on that hand
- For each ring worn +1 to saves (as it starts with 2 rings already +2 to +5 to saves)

I have the idea he really overshot his treasure table again (seeing as we're 7th level and he had already given us a Rod of Persist at lvl 3)

Anyway, how much gold do you think its worth?

(3.5 if that makes a difference)

Invader
2013-08-26, 08:38 AM
Hey guys,

my DM has given us this item. I'm kinda wondering what it's worth.

Its a glove with 2 rings attached to it that grants the following stats:
- Allows you to wear 3 additional (magical) rings on that hand
- For each ring worn +1 to saves (as it starts with 2 rings already +2 to +5 to saves)

I have the idea he really overshot his treasure table again (seeing as we're 7th level and he had already given us a Rod of Persist at lvl 3)

Anyway, how much gold do you think its worth?

(3.5 if that makes a difference)

Well a cloak of resistance +5 is 25,000 GP, +4 is 16,000, +3 is 9,000 and a +2 is 4,000 so take your pick?

Cozod
2013-08-26, 08:48 AM
The Hand of Glory from the DMG let's you wear one extra ring and it's 8k. it has two 1/day SLA.

Hand of Glory

This mummified human hand hangs by a leather cord around a character’s neck (taking up space as a magic necklace would). If a magic ring is placed on one of the fingers of the hand, the wearer benefits from the ring as if wearing it herself, and it does not count against her two-ring limit. The hand can wear only one ring at a time. Even without a ring, the hand itself allows its wearer to use daylight and see invisibility each once per day.

Faint varied; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, animate dead, daylight, see invisibility; Price 8,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

So, on the low end call it 24k for the ability to wear three extra rings, add in 25k for +5 saves and it's 49k. Probably worth more though. either way, 49k seems a bit excessive for one item at lvl 7.

Bromidrosis
2013-08-26, 08:52 AM
So it sounds like this item is a combination of an improved Hand of Glory (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hand_of_Glory) and a Cloak of Resistance as mentioned above. I think valuing the Cloak of Resistance at the maximum possible (+5) makes sense, since that is what it will become as soon as you find/buy enough magic rings - and you'll probably want to stock up on cheap magic rings so that you always have the +5 bonus to saves. Adding on the improved Hand of Glory feature, which gives you 4 additional rings(!) instead of just one and a fair price might be 25k+(8k*2)=41k gp. It also frees up a body slot by combining the two effects, making this an extremely nice item.

eggynack
2013-08-26, 09:04 AM
Doesn't the item only give you one extra ring? One of the rings is giving the hand of glory ability, and one of them is giving the save boost ability, so that cuts you down to the save boosting+the hand of glory ability. In other words, you're counting a couple of these abilities twice. I'd price the save boosting as if it were +3.5, because even if you can pick up cheap rings, that's still a cost. That puts total price at 8,000 for the hand effect + 12,250 for the save boosting, for a total of 20,250 GP. You could also go for +4 as the save boosting cost, but +5 just seems excessive.

Deophaun
2013-08-26, 09:05 AM
25,000 base for cloak of resistance, +50% for unusual slot brings it to 37,500

Hand of Glory is at least 32,000, assuming a linear pricing, which is a ridiculous assumption, as only Tomes have linear pricing. It's probably closer to 128,000.

And then you're doubling up on effects, so the cheaper of these gets another 50% boost to cost.

You're looking at somewhere between 85,500 to 184,250. Ex. Pen. Sive.