PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a level 11 buffificer?

Caylus
2013-08-26, 07:50 AM
Dear playground,

I'm currently playing as a level 11 warforged buffificer/secondary melee support character in a low-ish wealth campaign (we level every three to five sessions and we don't like to loot dead adversaries, due to being goody two shoes. By my estimations we work on 50-75% WBL).

The party consists of:

- me, warforged artificer
- Healbot cleric with a half celestial paladin cohort
- Divination cleric with a ranger cohort
- and a Übercharger Paladin with a paladin cohort

My intentions were to play my character as a support character, buffing the pally's and letting them deal with the monsters, but due to action economy it's most of the time more efficient to deal with the monsters myself and that sucks.

I want back to playing the support character, making the rest of the party shine, and then shine myself in moderation.

So, I need help. What infusions to cast, what magic items to make, which two feats to pick up next level etc. etc.

Don't mention what the other players can do with their characters please, their characters are their own.

TLDR;

Allowed sources: Core and Ebberon.

Goal: Giving the rest (Especially the Paladins!) more options in battle, without telling them to play a different character :P

Complications: Every gp counts (although I have all the artisan feats, so I've got leeway), and the fact that I'm playing with friends so not even a whiff of fermented diary please ;)

Metamagic feats of interest for buffs: quicken (for wands and scrolls, I know I can't use it on infusions) and extend.

I'm grateful for any help you all got to offer :D
And if you need more information, ask away!

fishyfishyfishy
2013-08-26, 07:59 AM
You can get a lot of mileage out of persist spell if your dm will allow you to take it. Your ability to apply meta magic from spell trigger items like wands mean you can burn 7 charges for a 24 hour buff. Which is fantastic for something that usually has a short duration. In my campaign, one of the players is a melee focused artificer, and his favorite buff for this is wraithstrike. Do you get the required downtime to do crafting? If not, get a portable hole and one of those homunculus that do all the crafting for you.

Caylus
2013-08-26, 08:31 AM
Persistant spell is not what I'm looking for, sorry.

It's not from either Core or Eberron, and I don't want to increase the DM's workload by forcing him to read more books, it works mainly on personal spells (since there aren't that many touch spells), and that would mean it's mainly increasing my power, (And as a tier 0 I've got enough of that, believe me), and lastly it's a definite power creep if we allow it (Hey divine metamagic persist cleric!) so it would make it harder for the DM to challenge us.

I've got a homonunculus and the artisan feat that decreases crafting time by 25%, so time is not an issue.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-26, 08:39 AM
By Eberron do you mean only core+Eberron Campaign Setting or are the other Eberron books kosher?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-08-26, 08:43 AM
Fair enough. I only mention it because you already have the prerequisite and it's useful for buffs. Well this really comes down to your selection of buffs and your method of delivery. What kind of items do you have for this? A few wands of haste would go a long way. You can infuse their weapons to make them magical and help them bypass dr already.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-26, 09:51 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the following.

Warforged battle sorcerer 4/ war weaver 5 / abjurant champion 2.

Ok, now hear me out. I know that sounds crazy, but listen.

There is a feat (wand bonding) that allows a warforged caster to use his own spell slots to power wands. You can trade your familiar for it at first level. Note, you can power ANY wand this way. Get cleric wands, druid wands, trapsmith wands... Your spell choice is awesome this way.

Now you can cast in light armor, so get mitheral body at 1st level.

Your spells known isn't an issue, because you cast from wands all the time.

Then get widen spell and versatile spell caster. Now pick up a 3th level spell wand and you can enter warweaver at 5th level, meaning at 11th level you cast as a 10th level sorcerer and can cast up to 5th level spells into your weave.

You cast 4 buffs into your weave and leave them, only to release them on the first round of combat as a MOVE ACTION. Then dive into combat to attack by opening up with an attack spell.

At level 10 and 11 take Abjurant Champion. Now you get tons of cool stuff. This fills your swift actions during combat with SWIFT ABJURATIONS. Abjuration has tons of nice buffs like shield and debuffs like dispel magic. You have them all as swift actions.

So you buff well, and can mix things up in melee. You cast in light armor, and can use wands with your own spell slots.

Powerful build I have always wanted to play.

Caylus
2013-08-26, 10:37 AM
By Eberron do you mean only core+Eberron Campaign Setting or are the other Eberron books kosher?

I'd rather stick to Eberron Campaign Setting, but exceptions can probably be made for the other Eberron books if the items/spells are straightforward enough.
(something that'll take an hour to read all the rules involved is out ;) )

I was already thinking of using minor schema's, since they follow the pricing guidelines of the DMG, and they're basically Eternal wands crossed over with scrolls so no extra reading for the DM is necessary. Any good spells to schema?

Fair enough. I only mention it because you already have the prerequisite and it's useful for buffs. Well this really comes down to your selection of buffs and your method of delivery. What kind of items do you have for this? A few wands of haste would go a long way. You can infuse their weapons to make them magical and help them bypass dr already.

Haste is a great plan! Maybe I'll make an eternal wand of haste, since we've got only a few encounters per day, hmm...

My method of delivery is mainly just touching them, which is difficult in combat situations as you can imagine.

@fouredged_sword: thanks for the build idea but I'll stay a pure bred artificer for now ;)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-26, 10:50 AM
I was going to suggest schemas actually, good spells are all day buffs (like greater heroism for example)

fishyfishyfishy
2013-08-26, 12:09 PM
Another non core/Eberron suggestion here but bear with me...Reach Spell metamagic from complete divine. You can use touch spells at a range of 30ft for +2 spell level adjustment. Very useful for those situations when you want to apply a touch spell from a wand without having to use actions to move closer.

Edit: the problem with buffing in combat is that usually your actions are better spent disabling the enemy. Seek out long duration effects and things that help reduce actions you have to take. Chain spell us another great metamagic for applying buffs.