PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords - Class Suggestion

Govinator
2013-08-26, 08:30 AM
Hello all!

I'm about to start a Rise of the Runelords campaign and was curious what would be a good class to complement the group that I am running with. So far everyone else has their characters figured out, and I have yet to decide on a class. What we have so far are - Cleric, Magus, Sorcerer, Druid.

I am kind of leaning archer paladin, but based on the group makeup, what do you think would be good?

Mind you - I have no idea what exactly each person intends to do with their classes (heavy summoning, melee, etc.).

Ninja edit: Another player in my group elaborated a bit:

Our group is composed of:
- cleric who hits things
- magus who uses melee spells and attacks
- sorceress who uses ranged spells (but currently spams Burning Hands)
- druid with a treant. I'm not sure what the druid does himself so you'd need to check with him, but his treant hits things as well.

Invader
2013-08-26, 08:32 AM
Play a crusader, nothing wrong with a good front line character.

Novawurmson
2013-08-26, 08:58 AM
Magus is basically pigeon-holed to melee DPS. Druid could be melee or spellcaster focused. Cleric could be melee or spellcaster focused. Sorcerer is probably spellcaster focused.

I'd say you have two main options:

1. Be a full BAB tanky class. If your DM allows 3.5 material, yes, the Crusader would work nicely. For PF only, the Ranger, Barbarian or Paladin would all work, taking feats like Power Attack, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip (Lore Warden (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/lore-warden) Fighter wouldn't be a bad place to drop a few levels). If your DM allows 3rd party, take a look at the Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife) and Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis).

2. Be a ranged class. Paladin works well (as you mentioned), but don't discount the Ranger or Zen Archer Monk. If 3rd party is allowed, check out the Marksman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/marksman).

Alternatively, why not both? I actually DMed RotRL start to finish with a player who was a switch-hitter ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers); basically, you pick up a mix of melee and ranged feats and choose what you're going to do on the fly. All you really need to be a competent melee character is Power Attack; pick up Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, now you're a competent archer; Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim - now you're an amazing archer!

Govinator
2013-08-26, 10:35 AM
Okay, sounds good!

I think I'll go for some switch-hitter paladin build that mainly focuses on archery. I think that sounds the neatest.

I appreciate it.

Novawurmson
2013-08-26, 10:56 AM
...note that Switch Hitter only really works well when you have a source of bonus feats (especially one that allows you to ignore prerequisites, like the Ranger).

Govinator
2013-08-26, 11:19 AM
Ohhh, I see. I'll take a look at that guide you linked in more detail then.

I was kind of thinking archer paladin that just grabs a greatsword or maybe a sword and board for when melee can't be avoided. That ranger deal may be better.

Govinator
2013-08-26, 01:31 PM
Just found out how the others are playing their classes. To quote my fellow player:

Our group is composed of:
- cleric who hits things
- magus who uses melee spells and attacks
- sorceress who uses ranged spells (but currently spams Burning Hands)
- druid with a treant. I'm not sure what the druid does himself so you'd need to check with him, but his treant hits things as well.

With this in mind, would it be better to focus melee?

JFahy
2013-08-26, 01:40 PM
Your front line looks a tad squishy to me, so helping there would be nice.

Also - there are a lot of places in that path where if one of the characters has a knowledge skill about Thassilonia, or can read Thassilonian, you get some background lore...and the main story in this AP can be a little hard to latch onto without those. I'd say try to arrange for someone in the group to be a history buff who can keep those skills covered. (Be transparent about it with the DM - this isn't a cheat, the AP pretty clearly wants to feed you this info but you have to meet it halfway by getting the skills.)

Govinator
2013-08-26, 01:46 PM
Your front line looks a tad squishy to me, so helping there would be nice.

Also - there are a lot of places in that path where if one of the characters has a knowledge skill about Thassilonia, or can read Thassilonian, you get some background lore...and the main story in this AP can be a little hard to latch onto without those. I'd say try to arrange for someone in the group to be a history buff who can keep those skills covered. (Be transparent about it with the DM - this isn't a cheat, the AP pretty clearly wants to feed you this info but you have to meet it halfway by getting the skills.)

Oh wow, okay thanks alot. That helps a significant amount!

I think I will simply make a 2handed paladin focus, and I will talk to the guys about addressing those skills.