PDA

View Full Version : MMI Monsters/ MMII Monsters. Different Rules?

Ointhedwarf
2013-08-26, 09:43 AM
I've recently began experimenting with Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Manual and I've began to understand how the monster stats work but when I checked MMII for new monsters and maybe some feats I found the monster type section in the introduction where some things just don't fit.. The feat progression is wrong, skills are wrong, and although I really enjoy an organized section for monster rules I've come to doubt if anything is usable. Why the turn in rules?

HalfQuart
2013-08-26, 09:47 AM
MM2 is a 3.0 book, so things are a little wonky. You can use the MM2 Accessory Update Booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) to convert things.

afroakuma
2013-08-26, 09:47 AM
^ That, plus the MMII was poorly made even under the 3.0 standard, as many an amusing thread will tell you. And this is coming from someone who liked it. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-26, 09:48 AM
MMII has some really interesting monster, it is hated because it was poorly implemented (and maybe to many ape/monkeys depending on who you ask)

Ointhedwarf
2013-08-26, 09:50 AM
aah what a pity! It gives some good general feeling though for monsterbuilding.
thanks a lot!

bekeleven
2013-08-26, 11:51 AM
The most annoying part of the MM2 is that, even in the 3.5 update booklet, they never made the save DCs based on stats or HD. They're just as arbitrary as they started. Obviously, that means that monster progression for anything in the MM2 is weaker since the saves stay flat.

Urpriest
2013-08-26, 01:20 PM
As others mentioned, monsters changed a lot between 3.0 and 3.5, mostly in terms of skills and feats. In general you should always check to make sure that whatever source you're using for monsters is a 3.5 source, or that you do the necessary update stuff yourself. Savage Species in particular is a common stumbling block for people in this respect.