PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] harvesting poison from animal companion..

animewatcha
2013-08-26, 10:47 AM
I read a dragon magazine article ( I think 349 ) that said survival check versus the save DC of animal companion ( wanting to harvest poison from fleshraker dinosaur ). How does one determine the gp cost for the raw materials, dosage, and what not for it? Especially with the changing save dc.

Psyren
2013-08-26, 10:57 AM
I would use the cost to create such a poison alchemically as a guideline, and if fleshraker poison isn't available as an alchemical creation, use a poison with identical DC (or CR) as a guideline. You can say that those costs relate to proper storage, preparation and transportation of the toxin, and substitute your Survival check for a Craft (Alchemy) check since you're gathering rather than creating it.

I might also add a bonus to the Survival check since you're "milking" an animal companion instead of a wild creature.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-26, 11:31 AM
With Animals there isn't a RAW way, but you can probably adapt the Bestow Venom trick for Vermins (need Vermin Trainer feat) into a trick for animals, you also need to do a craft (poison-making) DC 15 check to convert into useable poison