PDA

View Full Version : [NPC Build Request/Feedback] Elemental Lords

yougi
2013-08-26, 11:22 AM
So I've decided to send my PCs against a league of 4 Warriors, each representing one of the 4 elements (Air, Fire, Water, Earth). So far, they've met (but not yet defeated) the Lord of Winds, and while I have some ideas, I'm not sure where to go from here.

First, while I call them Warriors, they don't have to have levels in the Warrior class (GOD NO!), nor even be melee fighters, but they must be awesome. I'm looking for a CR between 9 and 12. I'm fine with refluffing, but

The Lord of Winds is a Karsite Binder 8/Paladin of Tyranny 2, who binds Otiax and Focalor. He also had Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt), which was fluffed as transforming into wind instead of a teleportation through shadows. His damage output was LOW, but between his defense-oriented gear and 20% miss chance, added to his Con focus (neither Str nor Cha were that necessary) he was one of the tankiest guys around.

For the Lord of Flames, I've hesitated between a Hellfire Glaivelock (Warlock 8/Binder 1 (for Naberius)/Hellfire Warlock 2), and a Desert Wind-focused Swordsage. I really prefer the first one, because half of my party is Fire resistant, and I like the idea that the Lord of Flames' fire is so hot it still burns them. (Don't worry, I do let their ability shine, it's just... that guy's not the time for that!)

However, for the two other Lords, I'm kind of throwing blanks. My PCs don't really get on boats, so the Lord of Water has to be on dry land (probably in a water-filled cave, but still, no flpping boats over). My main problem is that neither of these is tied to a damage type I could try to maximize, and everything sort of feels... dull. I'm trying to stay away from a pure tank for the Lord of Earth (because I did that with Winds).

So, any ideas on these two? I'm also open to feedback or tips regarding the Lord of Flames.

realbombchu
2013-08-26, 01:45 PM
I might have more for you in a while, but I think a trickery-focused build (of any kind) would work well for water. Water has always seemed like tricky stuff to me; you can't trust it. Like with mirrors, because it shows you an image of yourself, but it's not you. It's also without a shape of its own.

I guess what I'm suggesting is have some fun with them using illusions and disguises and stuff. Simulacrums, clones, doppelganger agents, projected images, it doesn't matter. Be careful not to frustrate them, of course, but help them feel really clever when they finally defeat the real water warrior. I would also focus on mobility, if you can, because water flows. Maybe some kind of Beguiler build? Not really a warrior in the traditional sense, I realize, but I think it could work.

As for your others, I don't know those classes, but my library is kind of small and I don't use a lot of websites. I guess my only thought is that I wasn't expecting the wind warrior to be the tank. I don't know why not, because the wind doesn't take damage easily either. I guess I just didn't think of it that way.

Are you going to add a fifth warrior? You know, like void or something? Just a thought.

Runestar
2013-08-27, 02:22 AM
Must they be human? Else, just take an elemental, and tack on martial adept lvs. :smalltongue:

For earth, you can consider a dwarf with lvs in crusader or warblade and a focus on stone dragon manoeuvres? Goliath also has that "tough as rock" feel. Maybe tack on the mineral warrior template as well?

Runestar
2013-08-27, 02:39 AM
As for water, maybe a slippery duelist type of character? Fluffwise, you can describe his evasive techniques as seemingly able to twist out of harm right at the last minute.

yougi
2013-08-27, 08:15 AM
I might have more for you in a while, but I think a trickery-focused build (of any kind) would work well for water. Water has always seemed like tricky stuff to me; you can't trust it. Like with mirrors, because it shows you an image of yourself, but it's not you. It's also without a shape of its own.

I guess what I'm suggesting is have some fun with them using illusions and disguises and stuff. Simulacrums, clones, doppelganger agents, projected images, it doesn't matter. Be careful not to frustrate them, of course, but help them feel really clever when they finally defeat the real water warrior. I would also focus on mobility, if you can, because water flows. Maybe some kind of Beguiler build? Not really a warrior in the traditional sense, I realize, but I think it could work.

Hmmmm, that could work great! I like it very much. Thank you!

As for your others, I don't know those classes, but my library is kind of small and I don't use a lot of websites.

Warlock is from Complete Arcana, Hellfire Warlock from Fiendish Codex 2, Binder from Tome of Magic, and Swordsage from Tome.

I guess my only thought is that I wasn't expecting the wind warrior to be the tank. I don't know why not, because the wind doesn't take damage easily either. I guess I just didn't think of it that way.

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. When my PCs kept on missing, they'd get frustrated, and I'd say "It's like trying to cut the wind in two with your sword." Then, they thought I meant it couldn't be affected by normal weapons, and so one of them tried to get it in an empty potion vial. A seven foot tall man wearing a full plate. Anyway...

Are you going to add a fifth warrior? You know, like void or something? Just a thought.

Right now, my idea is to keep it at four, but I guess I could add some afterwards.

Must they be human? Else, just take an elemental, and tack on martial adept lvs. :smalltongue:

For earth, you can consider a dwarf with lvs in crusader or warblade and a focus on stone dragon manoeuvres? Goliath also has that "tough as rock" feel. Maybe tack on the mineral warrior template as well?

They don't have to be humans, but they have to be humanoid-looking. Elemental could work actually... hmmm... Goliath was my first idea for Earth, and while Warblade or Crusader could work, I kind of want... more of a Earthy feel.

And where's mineral warrior from?

As for water, maybe a slippery duelist type of character? Fluffwise, you can describe his evasive techniques as seemingly able to twist out of harm right at the last minute.

Yes, also. Hmmm, great ideas folks, I'll try to see if I can get builds done! Thanks!