PDA

View Full Version : LA buy off question

Yogibear41
2013-08-26, 12:35 PM
If I start the game as an Aasimar(+1 la) and buyoff the adjustment as normal at 3rd level, but then at 6th level I gain the saint template(+2 la), would I be able to buy off the first LA of it immediately(or as soon as I had enough xp to remain 6th level and then the last LA of it at 9th as if my la was +2 all along, or would I have to do something differently?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-26, 12:53 PM
If you've already started or passed 6th level with LA +2, you've missed the schedule for buying off all of that level adjustment. Following the schedule you can buy off half of it at level 9.

Rakaydos
2013-08-26, 12:55 PM
If you've already started or passed 6th level with LA +2, you've missed the schedule for buying off all of that level adjustment. Following the schedule you can buy off half of it at level 9.

They way I read the LA buyoff, you can do it at any point after the listed levels, but it costs more XP to do.

mattie_p
2013-08-26, 01:06 PM
They way I read the LA buyoff, you can do it at any point after the listed levels, but it costs more XP to do.

I really don't see how that reading is possible, unless you didn't see this line:

The payment must be made immediately upon becoming eligible to reduce the character's level adjustment

Urpriest
2013-08-26, 01:07 PM
The rules assume that you begin with all of your level adjustment, because the writers didn't know that acquired templates exist, never having heard stories of werewolves or vampires. Your DM will need to make a houserule regarding how acquired templates interact with LA buyoff.

Segev
2013-08-26, 01:20 PM
Arguably, you "become eligible" the moment you both have the LA and the requisite levels over your racial HD.

So if you are level 6 and have already bought off your +1 LA from your race, you're not eligible right then to buy off any level adjustment. If, at level 7, you acquire a +2 LA template, you're now an ECL 9 character with 6 levels and 2 LA. Since you have at least six levels over your LA, you are now eligible. Since you were not eligible before you had LA to buy off, you have just become eligible. Thus, the rules say you must do so as soon as you have the exp; they do not say "too late."

relytdan
2013-08-26, 02:49 PM
for the level buy-off information - can someone post the source book and page please.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-26, 02:52 PM
for the level buy-off information - can someone post the source book and page please.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

It's in Unearthed Arcana.