PDA

View Full Version : To all you computer tech savvy people

Maryring
2013-08-26, 01:35 PM
Recently I've found myself a tech issue that I, the family go to tech wiz, is stumped upon.

When a program is installing, and the progress bar suddenly stops at a certain point but remains stuck at say 65% with no progress, yet no clear other issues, I am unable to identify "why" this might be it, and since I can't identify the "why", I can't identify much of a solution either.

I mean, if I didn't hear the disc spinning, I could suspect that was it, or I could figure that the computer had frozen for some reason, but it's not that either... so why?

If any of you people have any knowledge regarding this that you'd be willing to share, I'd be all ears.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-08-26, 01:40 PM
Is it a specific program that won't install or any program?

What OS?

And I'm guessing you have, but I have to ask. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8)

Maryring
2013-08-26, 01:48 PM
I don't recall the name off-hand but it was a game. I want to say Viva Pinata, but don't quote me on that.

Windows 7.

And yes. Yes I did. :smallbiggrin:

JustPlayItLoud
2013-08-26, 05:26 PM
Are you installing from disc or a file?

Disk could be damaged (or corrupt if you've never successfully installed from it before) or a file could be corrupt

After stalling have you moved the install window around?

Sometimes error messages pop up under the install window

Have you ever had this program installed on this computer before?

Could be some sort of registry issue from a previous install

What antivirus/firewall/antispyware/antiadware/antimalware programs do you have installed?

Sometimes these can interfere with program install

ALSO: A quick Googling for issues with Viva Pinata (if that is the offending program) yielded this page (http://www.desiquintans.com/permalink.php?PostID=214) describing issues with Viva Pinata freezing during install and leaving a partially installed program. This is basically one of the potential registry issues I mentioned above and would prevent a new install. The page has instructions on how to fix it, but use them at your own risk. Getting in and messing with regedit is a risky proposition if you don't know what you're doing. If you're careful to follow all the directions and not delete anything else while you're in there you should be fine, but just be aware you can cause some serious damage if you go tampering with regedit without knowing what you're doing.

Karoht
2013-08-27, 10:33 AM
I've run into this issue with several programs, and traced it back to my anti-virus/anti-spam/firewall software.
I use AVG, and normally after the confirmation that yes, I indeed want to let this program install itself, it will still lock up the install somehow. Luckily, there is a way to temporarily disable your stuff for a short period and install, and then reinable. AVG has an option, you can select 10-30 minutes, and it will reinable automatically after that time. Voila, the software installs perfectly.
60% of the time it works every time.
40% of the time, it needs an attempt or two.

Try that?

Another bizarre trick I've been shown. Open up internet explorer. Select "work offline" and then select it again, disabling offline mode. Do not close the internet explorer window.
Open/Install your program.
Seriously, I have no idea why that one works, it was recommended to me on a tech forum when I was having issues with my streaming software.

Jaycemonde
2013-08-29, 06:05 AM
When it comes to games, anything with it's own installer/downloader is liable to take hours to download. Before they fixed the master server for Blacklight: Retribution, some people (meaning a sizable majority) reported download times of, quite literally, ten hours or more. APB:R had similar issues, as did Planetside 2. Steam also has issues with updating games--sometimes they'll just get stuck in installation limbo and never quite finish, no matter how many times you log out and back in or restart your computer. (In that last case, you can get rid of the irritating notifications and try again from scratch by deleting the game's local content.) The overall worst is Origin, though.

I'm serious. I have never before seen a game's download percentage meter go down intermittently.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if you're not installing from a pre-downloaded file/archive or disc, there really isn't much to be said besides contacting whichever publisher released the game, or more preferably the developers themselves and waiting to see if it ever finishes up on it's own time.

Maryring
2013-08-29, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I finally managed to get the game installed so... huge success. Hopefully. Now to see if my sis will enjoy it as much as she said she would.

Capt Spanner
2013-09-02, 09:10 AM
Another possible answer to this is: "Because progress bars are hard to get right, and there's often more important things to do."

If you're curious about the difficulties: http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/11881/progress-bars-why-are-they-never-useful