PDA

View Full Version : Sabine and the evil opposites theme

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-26, 02:56 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that right after Nale was claiming to be free of the "evil opposites" theme, the one Linear Guilder that didn't really fit much into the theme became the only active "member"?* I wonder if that was intentional foreshadowing.

*You could argue that Tarquin/Malack/Kilkil weren't great fits either (I'd say they were mostly decent), but Nale seems to have decided that the theme died with that lineup. Plus, they hardly counted as Linear Guilders in the first place.

Synesthesy
2013-08-26, 04:02 PM
Well, Hayley is a faithfull timid girl who doesn't open to other (expecially for sex), and she has red hair and bright skin. Sabine is black with dark skin, and she's the incarnation of illicit sex :smallbiggrin:

martianmister
2013-08-26, 04:34 PM
Haley's bisexuality is latent, Sabine's bisexuality is explicit as possible. HURR DURR EVIL OPPOSITES!!!1!

SavageWombat
2013-08-26, 04:47 PM
Haley fights with a bow and Sabine fights not with a bow.

Kingault
2013-08-26, 04:59 PM
Haley's Good while Sabine's Evil.
There.

But yeah, while Sabine isn't faithful in terms of... you know, to Nale, she's still loyal to and cares for him, like how Haley is loyal to Elan.
Also, both are good at tricking people, but then again, that fits the evil opposite bit in terms of professions and skills... Meh.
Roy's argument against Thog during their duel summed the whole opposites thing up for me.

Vinsfeld
2013-08-26, 09:33 PM
Sabine can shapeshift, Haley can't

Skarn
2013-08-26, 10:30 PM
I thought Sabine was supposed to be the opposite of Roy, and Thog was the opposite of Haley?
:roy: Has a thing for Paladins
:sabine: Would probably bed anything that moves *except* for Paladins
Likewise:
:haley: Fights with style, cleverness and agility.
:thog: Fights with smashing, smashing and more smashing.
... :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2013-08-27, 06:26 AM
I think Roy already cleared up this "evil opposites" theme. That is, anyone, with enough of their own justifications, could have X be the evil opposite of Y.

So, any takers on Blackwing being the "evil opposite" of Sabine?

DiamondHooHaMan
2013-08-27, 04:30 PM
So, any takers on Blackwing being the "evil opposite" of Sabine?

they both like to fly more then walk. they both offer advice to someone in the party. err..... they are both magical beings?

Skarn
2013-08-27, 04:56 PM
I think Roy already cleared up this "evil opposites" theme. That is, anyone, with enough of their own justifications, could have X be the evil opposite of Y.
Pretty much, as long as X is evil of course.

Ramien
2013-08-27, 04:59 PM
I thought Sabine was supposed to be the opposite of Roy, and Thog was the opposite of Haley?
Likewise:

Sabine would bed a Paladin in a heartbeat if it meant she could get her vacation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html).

Goosefeather
2013-08-27, 05:45 PM
No, no, Sabine's opposite is clearly Mr. Scruffy.

One belongs to a species famous for their role as incarnations of pure evil, adept at entrancing, beguiling and ensnaring innocent victims, gaining their affections and pretending to love them - but behind the mask, there lie only ulterior, selfish motives and cold, unfeeling cruelty.

The other is a succubus.

Incom
2013-08-27, 05:55 PM
Clearly she's Belkar's opposite. Belkar thinks he's sexy. Sabine is a shapeshifter and thus makes herself always sexy unless she has reason to be otherwise. They also both enjoy killing things and are attracted to the most egotistical members of their respective parties, except that Sabine is explicit about it while Belkar's deeply in denial.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-27, 06:00 PM

One belongs to a species famous for their role as incarnations of pure evil, adept at entrancing, beguiling and ensnaring innocent victims, gaining their affections and pretending to love them - but behind the mask, there lie only ulterior, selfish motives and cold, unfeeling cruelty.

The other is a succubus.

Full of win! /thread
:smallamused:

karkus
2013-08-27, 06:08 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that right after Nale was claiming to be free of the "evil opposites" theme, the one Linear Guilder that didn't really fit much into the theme became the only active "member"?* I wonder if that was intentional foreshadowing.

Damn... Every member is either dead or has quit, save for Sabine :smalleek:

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-27, 06:52 PM
Damn... Every member is either dead or has quit, save for Sabine :smalleek:

Technically, we don't know one way or the other if Thog survived being buried in rubble at the arena.

Branco
2013-08-27, 07:41 PM
What the hell is this? At first I thought wtf is op saying I mean clearly Sabine is one evil opposite of Haley. And she learly is. WTF are you saying OP; I dont even...

ben-zayb
2013-08-27, 07:58 PM
Clearly she's Belkar's opposite.
I think this is where Nale got it all wrong. Evil opposites require the other one to be...wait for it... not evil.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-08-27, 08:18 PM
What the hell is this? At first I thought wtf is op saying I mean clearly Sabine is one evil opposite of Haley. And she learly is. WTF are you saying OP; I dont even...

The only intent I can think of, at least before this thread diverged into sarcasm, is that Haley and Sabine don't fulfill the same combat or social role outside of being the only (confirmed) female in each group and being the love interests of the respective twins.

Elan and Nale were both semi-magical semi-skilled semi-melee support builds, Roy and Thog are both two-handed melee bruisers, Durkon and Hilgya were both dwarven priests (and Leaky was similarly a short divine spellcaster), V and Z and Pompeii were all (part-)elf wizards, Belkar and YikYik were both small dual-wielding Rangers, and all of YikYik's replacements before the Pyramid were some other variation on small stab-happy warrior or ranger.

Sabine, meanwhile, is a flying melee debuffer who relies on Damage Reduction, spell-like abilities, and charm while Haley is an archer/skill monkey. Frankly, they aren't all that similar in group role at all - Crystal was much more Haley's "evil opposite", being a brutish stupid melee rogue as opposed to Haley's savvy archer archetype, but Sabine was probably the only character in the comic who would never betray Nale, so she stayed in the anti-Haley spot despite not being much of an opposite.

Fjellskogen
2013-08-27, 08:42 PM
Well, belkar has stubble, and that kobold guy doesn't. Obviously polar opposites.

Mightymosy
2013-08-28, 12:14 AM

The other is a succubus.

:smallsmile:

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 12:20 AM
I don't know why it was ever noted as "evil opposites" when "evil equivelants" is obviously more appropriate.

martianmister
2013-08-28, 09:59 AM
Well, belkar has stubble, and that kobold guy doesn't. Obviously polar opposites.

Belkar is the only evil member of OotS.
Kilkil is the only non-evil member of LG.

EVIL OPPPPOSITES! :smalleek:

karkus
2013-08-28, 10:36 PM
So wait a second... Did we ever find anything on the alignments of the kobolds? The first one barely had any "screen time," if you would, and the second one only sought revenge for his father's death (seems pretty Neutral to me, but we can rarely judge the alignments of OotS characters based on their actions alone). The third one... well... I still hate him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html)

Forikroder
2013-08-28, 10:38 PM

*You could argue that Tarquin/Malack/Kilkil weren't great fits either (I'd say they were mostly decent), but Nale seems to have decided that the theme died with that lineup. Plus, they hardly counted as Linear Guilders in the first place.

the way i see it the LG is even stronger theme of evil opposites then before

after all whats the opposite of alive?

also Nale said they were finally free of the "evil opposite" theme as he led his team of 3 spellcasters (and one Nale) against a team of 3 non-spellcasters (and an Elan)

Porthos
2013-08-28, 11:02 PM
So wait a second... Did we ever find anything on the alignments of the kobolds? The first one barely had any "screen time," if you would, and the second one only sought revenge for his father's death (seems pretty Neutral to me, but we can rarely judge the alignments of OotS characters based on their actions alone).

In commentary for DCF, Yikyik was confirmed to be CE.

Why CE? Rich reasoned that the thing that Belkar would hate the most was.... a kobold version of himself. Deep, huh? :smallwink:

Yokyok was never confirmed, but most people peg him as LG (or some flavor of Good at least) per his conduct and his obvious pastiche of The Princess Bride . This was backed up by the fact that one of the original ideas Rich had for the Linear Guild was a LG ranger being Belkar's counter part and commentary in W&XP that just as Belkar was the odd man out alignment wise in OotS, so to was Yokyok in the Linear Guild.

Yukyuk? Who the heck knows. But since Evil Opposites was supposed to be off the table, it could be anything.

martianmister
2013-08-29, 03:42 AM
Yokyok is probably Lawful Evil.

martianmister
2013-08-29, 05:09 AM
"Tarquin's Catgirl Ally" is Haley's new evil opposite:

Both sneak attacks their enemies.
Both rogue-ish characters.
"Tarquin's Catgirl Ally" is a cat-girl, Haley isn't a cat-girl.
Haley is "not exactly human", like TGA.
They both wearing ridiculous outfits.

Goosefeather
2013-08-29, 02:13 PM
Yokyok was never confirmed, but most people peg him as LG (or some flavor of Good at least) per his conduct and his obvious pastiche of The Princess Bride . This was backed up by the fact that one of the original ideas Rich had for the Linear Guild was a LG ranger being Belkar's counter part and commentary in W&XP that just as Belkar was the odd man out alignment wise in OotS, so to was Yokyok in the Linear Guild.

He even explicitly refers to himself as 'pure righteous justice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html)', only 'stooping' to travel with the 'scoundrels' of the Linear Guild so that he might avenge himself on the 'villain', Belkar.
Lawful Good certainly seems a good shout.

Illsbane
2013-08-29, 02:18 PM
Likewise:

Sabine would probably jump a Paladin's bones if she thought she had a chance of corrupting them by doing so. ... Or if the Paladin was as good a kisser as Elan. :p

Roland Itiative
2013-08-29, 02:39 PM
I think this is where Nale got it all wrong. Evil opposites require the other one to be...wait for it... not evil.

Well, the second kobold was just after revenge, so he might have been Neutral (or even slightly Good). So, if you assume the "evil opposite" of an evil character is a non-evil character, he got it right the second time :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-29, 03:20 PM
"Tarquin's Catgirl Ally" is Haley's new evil opposite:

Both sneak attacks their enemies.
Both rogue-ish characters.
"Tarquin's Catgirl Ally" is a cat-girl, Haley isn't a cat-girl.
Haley is "not exactly human", like TGA.
They both wearing ridiculous outfits.

And Ian calls Haley "Kitten." The Starshines are probably descended from catfolk.