PDA

View Full Version : An Immense Map

Jenn
2013-08-26, 05:00 PM
Good evening!

I am looking to provide a large map of a desert wasteland in my upcoming game. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I want, but I will try. Ideally, I am looking to find a broad open expanse in Google Earth, cut a chunk of it out of some uninhabited wasteland, paste that in photoshop and add a grid (to make locating features easier) and my own settlements and POIs.

Is this possible? Is it possible to do the way I have it laid out?

Thanks!

Slipperychicken
2013-08-26, 05:07 PM
So, are you basically trying to create a hexmap? A desert should be easy, given the relative lack of landmarks and structures.

I'm not sure how to make such a huge printout, but I imagine it would involve photograph-editing software and a printer shop.

Jenn
2013-08-26, 05:09 PM
I should clarify. This will be shared electronically, not printed. I really am interested in it being too big to see all at once, making players actively need to 'search' the map instead of having everything easy to find. It won't be used as a combat grid- more like an overworld reference. I'm really most concerned about finding a way to 'cut' such a huge area out of google earth or something and paste it to where I could edit it.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-26, 05:14 PM
I should clarify. This will be shared electronically, not printed. I really am interested in it being too big to see all at once, making players actively need to 'search' the map instead of having everything easy to find. It won't be used as a combat grid- more like an overworld reference. I'm really most concerned about finding a way to 'cut' such a huge area out of google earth or something and paste it to where I could edit it.

The Arts and Crafts forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27) should be able to help. I recommend posting your question there.

TheStranger
2013-08-26, 05:39 PM
You could also skip Google Earth and look for somewhere to download the images directly. Essentially, all you're looking for is satellite/aerial photography. You just need the image, not all the bells and whistles that come with Google Earth.

Not that I have a source in mind.

Also, you're looking at a very large image file, depending on how high the resolution is. Whether that's problematic or not depends on the logistics of how you view, edit, and share it.