PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the Adept Spell List

Fax Celestis
2013-08-26, 05:06 PM
Perhaps the most underloved spell list in the history of 3.5 is the Adept's. Do people have recommendations for additions (or changes, if people think certain spells should probably get taken off) to the Adept's list?

eggynack
2013-08-26, 05:12 PM
But I love the adept spell list. Every level is full of wonderful spells, and they even cross traditional arcane/divine boundaries to some extent. My favorite is probably second level spells, where you get mirror image, web, invisibility, and scorching ray. That looks a hell of a lot like what I'd actually prepare as a wizard, even if it's definitely not the exact same thing. It's obviously not the best class in the game, primarily due to the rate of spell acquisition, but I don't think that the issue is a lack of cool spells on the list.

Edit: I just checked, and it looks like they're the only class that gets both raise dead and polymorph on their native list. I'm sure that other classes can do that, particularly the archivist, but that's really cool.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-26, 05:16 PM
Oh, no, I'm not looking for "cool new swag".

I'm looking for "this is a thing that would make sense for the adept to have even though it was published in SpC".

I'd even be okay with alternative spell lists for specifically themed adepts.

eggynack
2013-08-26, 05:25 PM
That does make more sense. Still, coming up with spells to add to the adept list would require the adept list to have some kind of thematic coherence. As is, it looks like a muddled mix of everything out there. As I mentioned, they have both polymorph and raise dead. I'm not entirely sure what the link is between those two things. I guess that greater mirror image could fit on the list, because they have regular mirror image, and it'd fit within their parameters. They could also pick up the repair x damage line of spells, to fit in with their weird arcane/divine blend thing.

Beleron
2013-08-26, 06:04 PM
Any additions to the adept's spell list should probably come only from spells that are already available to archivists from some other list. That class is powerful enough already.

eggynack
2013-08-26, 07:02 PM
Any additions to the adept's spell list should probably come only from spells that are already available to archivists from some other list. That class is powerful enough already.
First of all, why? The adept list draws about as much from arcane sources as divine ones. Second of all, how is that a limitation? The archivist list is incredibly broad, and includes a good number of arcane spells. I'm pretty sure that it actually contains most arcane spells, especially up to 5th level, so I don't get it. It's just not a very logical or extensive restriction.

Chronos
2013-08-26, 07:17 PM
So, the adept shouldn't be restricted in that way, and it isn't actually a restriction anyway?

eggynack
2013-08-26, 07:23 PM
So, the adept shouldn't be restricted in that way, and it isn't actually a restriction anyway?
Yes. I guess there's some lack of purpose in pointing out both issues, but it seems worthwhile to point out multiple ways in which restrictions are problematic, so that further restrictions can take those issues into consideration.