PDA

View Full Version : Gackle - Larry Pearson (Prelude)

dancrilis
2013-08-26, 05:08 PM
Gackle Daily

Larry had been called into the HR office with no explanation - the head of the meeting was a young man named Trevor Kelly a mid-twenties college grade who was far to naive to have his current job.

Ultimately a decent sort and not the kind to the political games an older person in his position would know were required.

The young man looks at Larry as he comes in, "ah Larry, thanks for coming in" his smile is half hearted at best, "how are you feeling, how is your work going". It was odd for him to pussyfoot around like this.

Strawberries
2013-08-27, 01:00 AM
Larry mentally pats himself on the shoulder for having taken two painkillers before even getting up from his desk. Something tells him that he is probably going to need them. "Fine, fine" he answers, gruffly "Look, if Karen is on about that murder in Burton Road, the piece will be ready for tomorrow's edition." Not that there's a lot to write about it. 'Prostitute with her throat cut' isn't particularly big news. Not in Gackle. And not like having him called in Trevor's office for a slight delay isn't a bit of an overkill, but Karen has been edgy the past month. He narrows his gaze at the kid, suspiciously "This IS about that piece, right? "

dancrilis
2013-08-27, 04:47 PM
Trevor bites his lip - a wholly unprofessional image for someone meant to be hiding the meeting - but he quickly composes himself.

"Larry" he begins "your work had been to within standard, and you have something of a following in some areas. This has nothing to do with anything you have done wrong on the job", there is a long pause "its your drinking off work that is a problem - you do things that are problematic for the company, and now your health is poor", he takes out a folder from his desk.

"As you know you have health insurance provided by us, what you might not know is that we are the client ... not you" he stuttered "and so we get access to the records first. You have an advanced form of throat cancer that is effectively incurable", he paused again "I am sorry to be the one to tell you this" he slides the report across the table "but I felt you should know".

Collecting himself "obviously we will be cancelling your insurance as it has become prohibitively expensive - and we can't risk opinion pieces getting into what we hope is a serious news paper - so we may have to let you go".

The man was figiting with his pen, but he maintained eye contact at least "I am sorry Larry".

Strawberries
2013-08-28, 01:15 AM
ooc: dystopian setting, no kidding, I'm pretty sure that what just happened is considered illegal in the whole of the civilised world
But hey, world of darkness.... Even if I honestly didn't fully understand the newspaper's reason for firing him.

Larry shakes his head for a second, attempting to switch gears in his mind, to go past the simple What? that is his only reaction at the moment . He slowly picks up the folder and opens it to examine his content.

well, I didn't think I would start rolling dice so soon, but I think this calls for:

Intelligence + medicine [roll0], to figure out what that report actually says

Intelligence +law [roll1] to figure out if they can even do the things they're saying they'll do.

Edit:gah, rerolling down. Also, sorry for the somewhat short post, but he is, for all intent and purpose, speechless. I think you're looking at the start of a delayed reaction, here. :smallwink:

Strawberries
2013-08-28, 01:17 AM
oh, bloody hell , sorry about that.
Int + medicine [roll0]
Int + law [roll1]

dancrilis
2013-08-28, 03:29 PM
Larry is not to sure about the report really - some bars spiking, others going down, and a lot of babble - but the summery is concise: Likely to be deceased with 6 months without if untreated, within 18 months if treated.

As for the legal element it is a grey area - they cannot simply fire him for being ill, but they can if cannot complete his job to satisfaction - or if it places his health at risk. Which any stress might - with a good lawyer he might win, but even with that by the time the case goes through he would likely be dead.

He has heard of people leaving unexpectedly like this before and dying within a year. "Now we are not forcing you out - thought if you wish to leave immediately I would understand, and would advise against following up about breach of contract" - that was a favour many in HR would be unlikely to do, if he was telling the truth.

"But if you want to stay and work - well I think Karen is happy with your work, and she doesn't know yet. We can probably keep this between ourselves ... and my bosses, if you want", the man was obviously trying to do something like the right thing - and with no good option.

Strawberries
2013-08-28, 06:02 PM
"Fine." He's parroting what he just said a minute ago, he realises, and not sounding particular intelligent on top of it all, but his brain feels coated in molasses right now, and he can't find the right order to put the words in, let alone what words to use. "I mean, uh, yes. Uh.... that article will be ready for tomorrow's edition.". He turns around and exits Trevor's office without another word, the folder tucked under his arm.

He makes his way to his desk without looking at anyone. His computer has gone in standby in the time he's been in Trevor's office. He presses a random key on the keyboard, inserts the password when the system prompts him ("bullcrap", his password has always been, or some variation thereof) and hits "send" on the article without rereading it. Then he takes his coat and makes his way to the exit.

Assuming he isn't stopped by Trevor, of course. If he is, disregard second paragraph. :smallwink: Plan is to go out, call a taxi, and get incredibly drunk.
No, he still isn't processing things rationally, why do you ask? :smallamused:

dancrilis
2013-08-29, 04:15 PM
Trevor would not allow him to leave with the file - company property - but no one else bothered him as he left.

Calling a taxi was easy - it was to early for them to be busy, it was a eastern woman likely still in college and paying for it with quick work, if Larry was paying attention to her he would know that she likely would not be in the job long - the local grown taxi drivers didn't like foreigners taking their work.

The closest pub that he would drink in was only a five minute walk away and it took the taxi less than a minute.

Sitting at the bar "what do you what" the guy asked him - it was not the regular barman.

Sorry about fast forwarding - if you want to reverse any pieces I am happy to.

Strawberries
2013-08-29, 05:44 PM
Larry spends all the taxi ride thinking about the important decision he has to make. He knows that it is a crucial one, and he doesn't want to mess it up. He evaluates the pros and cons of all options. He carefully considers the possible outcomes. By the time he sits down at the bar, he is pretty confident that he has the right solution to the dilemma. The dilemma, of course, being 'between gin, vodka and whiskey, what would get me drunk faster'

"I'll have a bottle of vodka and a glass" he says to the barman "And a slice of lemon." He amends after a second.

Naah, I'm good, thanks. Sorry if you had planned something else in the newspaper, but I thought 'get out, get drunk quickly and don't think about it' was the most IC thing that I could do at the moment :smallamused:.

dancrilis
2013-08-30, 01:31 PM
No worries - I am happy with how it is playing out (assuming that you are).

The barman looks him over "sure you look like you need it, cash in advance - don't bother anyone else", he leaves the bottle once he gets the money.

I would assume he starts drinking until it is dark - but in case you have other plans (an epiphany that alcohol is not the answer or whatever) I don't want to assume.

Strawberries
2013-08-30, 01:55 PM
Oh, no, he hasn't had an epiphany in twenty years, he's not going to have one now... :smalltongue:

...I would assume he stays sufficiently lucid, though, on account of twenty odd years of practice drinking. If you want me to roll something, let me know.

Larry has no intention to go bother anyone. Human interaction is the last thing he wants right now. With that in mind he grunts what could be considered an assent and pours himself the first glass.

dancrilis
2013-08-30, 02:16 PM
The vodka starts fairly poor tasting, but it quickly grows on Larry - hours pass as he drinks, and than a curious thing happens - a woman sits beside him as he runs out of the bottle, and she waves for it to be replaced for him.

She is stunning, and her clothing accentuates her appearance - her hair is worn up, in a knot and he smile is dazzling - and yet despite this there is something familiar about her.

"You look like you could use a friend to talk to - and I have some time" she radiates a sort of peace about her, "could I get your name", gesturing to the vodka "help yourself".

Strawberries
2013-08-30, 02:58 PM
Larry is annoyed. He has gone through almost a full bottle and, while he is experiencing a sort of pleasant warm feeling in his stomach he is way far from the result that he wants to achieve, which is, thoroughly forget who Larry Pearson even is. He raises his eyes towards the woman and blinks a couple of time to focus on her. "Look miss, not that I don't appreciate it, but I don't want company and I can buy my own alcohol." he starts, and then something she has said registers with him, something supremely funny, and he starts sniggering to himself "And I DON'T have time."

dancrilis
2013-08-30, 03:07 PM
She smiles at him as he speaks "Oh I'm sure you don't, I am good enough at reading people to see a man sitting with a bottle in front of him and I can just guess that he is not up for small talk", her teeth are dazzling "but I understand it can sometimes help anyway".

Turning back to the counter "and if you are short on time - well what do you want to do with it?" she raises an eyebrow "or is this a burn it up as fast as possible exercise" there is a bit of heat in her voice at that as if she disapproves.

Strawberries
2013-08-30, 04:26 PM
In another moment, Larry could have taken his time appreciating the woman physical attractiveness, perhaps even considering chatting her up just in case. Now is definitely not that time. "I'm sorry, but what business exactly would that be of yours?"

dancrilis
2013-08-31, 12:21 PM
"What business" her voice low and dangerous, her hand curled on her lap like a claw, her voice came out as a hiss "well Larry I guess it is no business of mine if you spend the last few months of your life drunk and pathetic, rather than trying at long last to get over yourself and your 'problems' and actually do something with the time you have" she stood abruptly and throw some money across the counter - his vision delayed but some looked like hundreds "keep him in drink - you can rot here for all I care".

And with that she was gone.

Whether it was the drink or the shock or the unexpected nature of seeing her - but where he knew her from came back. The last time she hadn't looked as good, nor any of the times before hand - but the last time especially. It had been when he look into her coffin all those years ago, his wife's coffin.

The bartender was over in a flash picking up the money "ha, don't know what you said to her man - but kudos, riling up a hottie like that might allow someone her own age a chance for a real good night" he winked "and guess your drinks are paid for tonight" he pocketed the cash.

Strawberries
2013-08-31, 02:07 PM
Larry ignores the barman completely. He has gone very pale. "Janice?" He whispers to himself, disbelievingly. That... must have been the vodka, surely. That's the first time that he hallucinates something like that, though. Maybe the woman just looked a bit like Janice, and his brain did the rest, but... hell, he has to go and see for himself, he decides. He stands up, abruptly, and runs after her. "Janice?!" he calls out, louder. He is going to make a fool of himself, running after some unknown woman, he knows. An unknown woman who knows your name his muddled brain tries to retort, but that might have been the alcohol as well. Right now, he doesn't care.

Alright, running after Janice then, or whoever she is. If you need me to roll something, just roll it for me, please. :smallsmile:

dancrilis
2013-08-31, 03:13 PM
Larry is experienced at drinking and the shock of who he might have just spoken to can do a lot to sober a man up.

The woman he spots the woman moving out the door, but she either ignore his shout or doesn't hear him over the background noise.

He is steady his feet as he makes it to the door - but whoever she is she is gone. He does however notice two people - likely gang members of the nasty variety beginning to head down an alley - the grins on their faces imply they have found something they like.

Strawberries
2013-08-31, 05:20 PM
He shakes his head in an attempt to clear it - the fresh air helps, he guesses - and considers his options. Going back to the bar, which would sound appealing in pretty much all circumstances, has somehow lost its charm.

He knows exactly what he wants to do: he wants to look for Janice, or whoever that woman was. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be anywhere... and then he spots the two people, heading down the alley. His brain short-circuits, then, presenting him with an image of Janice's body, the way he has seen it in the police pictures - and oh, he wasn't even supposed to ever see those pictures, but having contacts in the police is a perk of the job - and somehow, through the alcohol, he gets in his mind that those two people are going to do it again, are going to hurt Janice.

Hey! He is about to shout, but then changes his mind and follows them. He fishes his phone out of his pocket and turns it on - he had shut it off during the taxi ride, in case he needs to call the emergency number on speed dial.

dancrilis
2013-09-01, 06:11 AM
The alley was a mess, the two men were on the ground - one cowering as of terrified - the other likely the reason for his terror. The second man's body was lying crumpled on the ground - blood spilling from his neck where his head should be - the head itself a few meters to the right.

Janice - or whoever it was - stood above the body, a large knife in her hand.

Strawberries
2013-09-01, 10:42 AM
Larry lets his phone fall back in his pocket and stops at the entrance of the hallway, trying to make sense of what he's seeing - which honestly doesn't make much sense at all. Janice, as he remembers her, has always been a quite strong woman - she went to the gym twice a week and liked physical exercise - but the amount of strength it would take to cut a man's throat like that...

He watches the scene stupidly for a couple of seconds, blinking - he isn't bothered by blood, he's seen that and worse before - but it has to be a vodka-induced hallucination, now. He's probably unconscious in a corner of a street somewhere, that is the only explanation that makes some sort of sense. And hell, if he IS just dreaming, may as well use the opportunity to speak with his wife, right?

Feeling like he's figured it all out he takes a couple of steps forward. "Janice, love..." he starts, and then adds the only thing that makes sense at the moment in his mind "You, uh, do you need some help with that?"

dancrilis
2013-09-02, 02:28 PM
She looked at him panic in her eyes "sorry, no ... I. Forget about this get out of here" there is genuine worry in her voice "I ...".

What ever she was going to say is cut short a voice speaks behind Larry - "Lady been bad, shown herself - messed where she wasn't meant to - spoke when she should be quite" the person is roughly five foot maybe a bit more if it wasn't hunched over, and dressed in rags "master thought she might be bad, master thinks this is poor, poor form - sent Happy to watch - and Happy watched, Happy saw - happy sees like of nasty things Lady does at night" its face showing it winked at her they might have been pretty once, but the teeth had been sharpened and the tongue when it flitted out had been lengthened.

Janice was behind Larry almost immediately "Leave him alone you little creep".

The person grinned "up to you pretty Lady - master wants to speak to you, you come nice and we take husband too - you not so nice we tell and maybe eat im all up - and maybe Master let Happy have lot of fun with Lady" it licked it lips.

Strawberries
2013-09-02, 05:48 PM
If Larry would have had even the slightest suspect that the scene he is witnessing was real, he would have probably reacted very differently. Probably with some cheap b-movie heroic kind of clichés like 'If you want to hurt her you must go through me' or something equally silly - but it's Janice, and Janice always brought out his silly heroic side.

However, seeing his dead wife chopping off a guy's head like nothing, and now something that seems the taller, prettier and eviller cousin of that little green thing in the Harry Potter movies don't offer much of a strong evidence on the 'not hallucinating' side, bringing Larry to be very, really, absolutely sure that this isn't real. As such, his response is something completely different. "Jan, darling, don't worry, just tell... " the name he's been looking for just pops in his head "...tell Dobby there that I just want to talk with you a bit, so he can go away now, yeah? If I'm dying of alcohol poisoning I don't really want to look at his stupid face. You are a much nicer hallucination, my love."

dancrilis
2013-09-04, 01:04 PM
The short man stopped to Larry - "yes, yes - insult Happy, Happy used to it - maybe you insult Happy" his arm shot out catching Larry's hand - it might have been the drink but the man was strong "insult Happy less if Happy takes all your fingeries", he smiled as he brought the hand to his mouth.

"Enough" it was a command from Janice - and the man seemed to get that there was certain control she seemed to possess all of a sudden, "we will go with you, and you will leave him alone".

The man seemed torn a bit - "yes - you go to the car, Happy clean up here" taking a pistol from somewhere hidden he walked into the allay as Janice walked out taking Larry's arm as she did - she was also strong.

"Relax - everything will be ok" she stated and there was a yearning to believe her.

Strawberries
2013-09-04, 03:36 PM
Of course everything is going to be alright - he is with his wife, in what must been the nicest alcohol-induced delusion he could even hope for. He has to remember to thank that barman, and to note down that vodka brand for next time. He smiles and puts his own hand on Janice's, allowing her to lead him.

dancrilis
2013-09-05, 02:10 PM
Larry was taken to the back seat of the car, and Janice got in beside him - there was a separate driver - this man was cleaner looking than the other taller and he avoided looking at either of his passangers "he should be in the boot, or asleep - and if he vomits I am going to send you the bill" his voice monotone.

Janice put her hand to Larry's face "don't worry" her hand was cold, in his drunken state she guided his head to her lap and began stroking his hair gently, "he won't see anything", she said to the man.

Happy arrived later opening the boot first before getting in the front "body and head in the back, other has a holey head - no problem here", his head came over the back of the chair to look down at Larry - some drool hitting his forehead, his sing song voice "ohh lucky lucky get to be licky, lucky gets some pu ... " Janices hand broke his nose before he could continue - blood hitting both of you as he pulled back with a snarl, "Happy cut whorey up later, Happy make her beg, Happy ...".

He was cut of by the other, "careful Happy - she is one of them" the other man said still monotone "you get your fun with her only if ordered".

The car took off - as alcohol and tiredness claims Larry.

dancrilis
2013-09-06, 01:11 PM
Larry woke early enough, he was used to working after drinking - and had his body used to waking up at certain times.

He had a splitting headache - and the surroundings were new to him - new and somewhat unpleasant.
The walls were covered in pink wallpaper, and there were stuffed animals everywhere with the sun beaming in getting in his eyes, and someone - a girl maybe - singing in the background to one of those horrible pop songs that were so popular.

It took him a second to notice he was naked and looking around the room his clothes were missing - but there were 'male' clothes laid out for him to use the term loosely, a shirt with little panda on it and no buttons, and tight shorts that would reach only to the knees. His shoes were at least present - but no socks, but his boxers were available - even if they had been washed poorly and pink dye had soaked into them.

Strawberries
2013-09-06, 01:36 PM
Oh, perfect. That is just perfect. Just what he needed. Waking up naked in a strange apartment. He looks with a certain alarm at the stuffed toys What did I DO last night? He remembers sitting down, ordering a bottle of vodka and starting drinking, and then... Oh, f-k, Janice. He isn't prepared for the fresh wave of loss that hits him all over again. That had been a nice dream. That had been a dream that he wouldn't mind going back to, creepy Dobby-like thing and all.

Unfortunately, he has reality to deal with. And reality right now is the headache from hell, and the fact that he's naked in a strange room. A strange room belonging to a young person, judging by the décor. He groans, and then a thought hits him, so supremely surreal that he can't help but chuckle. It's six months. Six months and then you won't have to deal with any of this anymore. He slowly gets up and puts his boxers on, then with a grimace the rest of the clothes. He doesn't want to go around flashing whoever is in the house. Getting his wallet would be the first order of business... that, and finding out exactly where he is, though he isn't so sure he wants to know.

dancrilis
2013-09-06, 02:26 PM
Searching for his stuff seemed pointless after a few minutes - the wardrobe continued a number of items but all girls stuff. The window showed a skyline apartment - pricey to be sure, and in roughly the centre of town.

Getting his bearings he heard the signing coming back towards him, and the smell of something ... food.

The woman that he sees is something out of a bad movie, blond hair bleached, a nightie that showed more leg that was appropriate, and a puzzled expression on her face as she looked between him and the bed as if she was having difficulty figuring out how he wasn't in it, "you ... got up?".

Perhaps the most appealing thing about her was the stack of food she was carrying, sausages, bacon, pancakes, apple juice, tea, eggs (scrambled and fried) - she hooked it to the end of the bed and patted the edge beside her as she sat with a vacant smile at him, as she started in with a fork.

"You were fun last night" she giggled.

Larry had no memory of this woman, but she was certainly not the woman of his alcohol fuelled dream.

Normally I would roll things privately - unless I fell like not doing so such as now.
Her roll: [roll0]

Larry might want to make a Empathy + Perception roll, it shouldn't affect your next post - it will more affect mine.

Strawberries
2013-09-06, 02:45 PM
I still didn't allocate my freebies, so at the moment the roll is [roll0]

Larry assesses the woman carefully, trying to place her age, profession and whatever other information he may gather. He'd love to say that she's not his type of woman, but the truth is, when he's drunk, every woman is his kind of woman. At least -somebody- had fun.

He's not hungry, but he's really thirsty. Though eating something would probably help with the headache. "Uhm... yeah, hon, listen... where are my clothes? "

dancrilis
2013-09-06, 03:45 PM
There was something odd about her, she appeared in her late teens - but if her mannerisms were different in different clothes she might pass for mid-thirties or anything in between.

If he was to guess for profession - the simplest would be girlfriend to someone rich to have this place, or spoiled daughter. But than would she be carrying the food herself?

He also doesn't really feel like he had sex last night - there is no pleasant feeling that would normally be present.

She certainly seemed a ditz - but he had been in media a long time, and the perfect match of a stereotype was ... rare, but if it was an act it was an excellent one.

"Clothes?" she reached out and tugged his sleeve "keep them" she said happily.

"Your other stuff was ugly and smelly and covered in vomit" she makes a face, "so I threw them out the window" it takes all of a second for a grin to break out "got you, I got you" she laughed "they are in the wash".

"So Lar I hope you had a good time last night" her eyes finding his as she bit her lower lip.

Strawberries
2013-09-06, 04:04 PM
"If you want to know, hon, I was so wasted I can't remember." Sugarcoating the truth be damned. Larry could never be bothered with mornings after. "You didn't throw my wallet and keys in with the wash, did you?" She couldn't have. Nobody out of poorly written movies is such an idiot.

dancrilis
2013-09-07, 11:15 AM
"You ... you don't remember me" she sounded hurt "you were calling me Jani all night - but I was correcting you it's Suzy" standing "I made breakfast and ... " she is pouting now "and you don't remember me at all".

She begins to sniffle "this always happens, am I such a terrible person that people can't remember me".

"Your wallet is on the washer" her voice low and defeated, "just take it and go".

Strawberries
2013-09-07, 01:58 PM
Jani. That's strange, he's never called his wife Jani. Jan has always been his pet name for her.

"Hon, you went home with someone that's had a whole bottle of vodka." He watches her sniffle for a second. Ah, to hell with it. "Look, president Obama could have come sit at my table yesterday, and I wouldn't remember. And breakfast looks good, really, but I have to get to work." If he even still has a work to get to. Yesterday is a bit blurry. Did I even sent that article? He seems to remember he did. What next? Should I get myself to the hospital, check the options... His mind balks at finishing that thought. Let's start with the easy things, first. His wallet and keys, and getting out of this house.

dancrilis
2013-09-07, 02:45 PM
"Prez Obama?" she looked puzzled "oh, that guy that helped that white rap guy?", she brightened up "sorry I don't like the hippy hop music that much".

"Ooh work, me to" she moved to the wardrobe "starting throwing clothes out of it, no not this, ugly, bad, yes, like, good" it took her less than a minute to emerge in a short skirt, a shirt done maybe a button to low, heels and doing her lipstick.
Whether she was dressed as an stripper in office gear as her act, or was actually working in an office was difficult to tell, looking at Larry with wide eyes "are you good to go - you look fab!".

"Where do you work?" tilting her head to the side like a puppy as she asked.

Strawberries
2013-09-08, 05:09 AM
Larry's headache steps up another notch. "Barrington street" he grumbles. It is technically where the newspaper offices are. Not that he has any intention to go to the newspaper. Home first, to get a nice shower and get changed - and to check on Abby, of course - then he'll decide.

He makes his way to the bathroom, drinking some water from the sink, and starts looking for the washer.

dancrilis
2013-09-08, 10:28 AM
"Oh, oh, oh ... you said all right ... a paper yes - an honest to god old fashioned paper with ink and pencils and ... everything" she follows after him, the place is large - split over two floors and with at least three other bedrooms, two open and one closed.

The downstairs was a somewhat open plan as one might have thought of a bard room with out the table and a large television at the head of it - the place must have been worth a fortune.

The walls were lined with qualifications, some from placed that he knew, other from places he didn't and artworks.

His wallet is on the washer as she mentioned.

Standing behind him, "yip that is it" spoken as if he wouldn't recognise his own wallet, but his eyes noticed something else present also a jewellery box, with a ring that looked exactly like the engagement ring he had given Janice.

"Hmm ... well I have to get to work, walk you out?" she offered.

Strawberries
2013-09-08, 04:07 PM
Now if he could only find his soddin' keys, the morning would step up from 'absolute nightmare' to just 'intolerable', he thinks, stuffing the wallet in the back pocket of his ridiculous shorts. Not that he particularly wants his clothes back, they probably are completely ruined, if his boxers were any indication. "Honey, I need my key..." he starts, before noticing the ring in the small jewelry box. He picks it up without thinking "Is this yours?" Most engagement rings are similar, he knows, but after last night hallucination, this surely is a freakish coincidence.

dancrilis
2013-09-09, 02:05 PM
She looked at his with a curious expression than shock hit her "oh, oh, OH" she looked panicked "not again, no, no sorry", she moved to give him a hug - her strenght was impressive "I can't marry you, your a nice guy - really you are, but your to ... young for me", her voice muffled.

Pulling back, "I know it hurts now - but you will find someone else, ok?".

She handed him his keys.

Strawberries
2013-09-10, 01:00 AM
"What in the actual...?" No. No, you know what, forget about it. He's not going to chase phantoms and hallucinations, trying to reason with an obviously unhinged woman. "I'm practically old enough to be your father." he grumbles, without much conviction, then, feeling like he has to justify himself, somehow - and that is certainly the hangover talking: "It was in the jewellery box - whose is it, your mum?"

dancrilis
2013-09-11, 01:25 PM
She pulls away looking at him "oh so you were teasing me - a girl could get annoyed at that you know" her eyes serious for a second before she grins.

"Don't know I buy stuff all the time, and get prezzies to - could have been one of them" she shrugs "could be one of my house-mates I suppose but they are sleeping now and waking them is not a good idea. Do you like it?".

Strawberries
2013-09-17, 05:07 AM
"Yes, yes, very nice." Larry replies, distractedly. He should just forget altogether about both yesterday and this morning, he knows, and start thinking about some important things...like what to do with the six months he has left.

Oh, god, Abby, who's going to take care of Abby?. The thought comes quite suddenly, and leaves him frozen with his mouth half open in a reply. He's not ready to deal with this. He grasps to the first thing he can think of just in an attempt to think about something else "Your housemates... this ain't your parents' house, then?"

dancrilis
2013-09-18, 01:47 PM
"Parents?" she looked puzzeled for a second "ha hahahaha ha, no!" her head tilted back to the ceiling as she laughs, her chest out in a manner that were he not hung over might be more appealing, wiping a tear away she straightens "nope, this is my house" purceing her lips in thought "my house" she says slowly "it sounds weird. I live hear, I hold the contract, I paid for it ... but I only have it while I am allowed to have it" she looks at Larry with vacant eyes twirling her hair and as she speaks he remembers an old news story he worked on "hmm ... the philosophical concept of ownership that modern culture would indicate that this house is wholly and completely mine and that the others are guests that stay here at my sufferance - however this concept is flawed. I lack the means to defend my claim against my guests, nor the desire to - and would in fact pass my claim on at a moments notice if asked my the correct person in the correct manner - as such from a more primal view of ownership I would not possess this house to the extent that such an individual would - and thereby the ownership is truly theirs" her eyes never showed intelligence, her speech never took an intellectual tone - her fingers never even stopped playing with her hair, nor did her smile leave her face.

Nearly ten years ago there was a young teenager hulled in for murdering an elderly man - the evidence was circumstantial but the child was simple minded - and the police just wanted to blame him and close the case. His lawyer decided to fight the case properly, the media got involved on the ground of police corruption and laziness, the city for one shinning moment came together to actually serve the common good and get the innocent boy free. Except Larry knew better at the end - he had written articles on it like a lot of journalists - the boy winked at him as he walked out of court a free man, a wink and a smile and Larry knew that he was guilty - that he would kill again, and that everytime he did it would be considered the police persecuting him - and that is exactly what happened, until he was shot dead one night in a crime that was never solved.

This girl lied better than the boy - but her entire attitude was a lie - and she was letting him know it without any outword sign.

"Oh oh oh - time to go, late late late" checking him out as she took his arm "maybe we can meet up sometime - you do remember my name now?" she directed him to the door.

Strawberries
2013-09-22, 05:43 PM
Larry chokes back a small surprised sound in the back of his throat, but doesn't react any other way. He can't deal with this right now. He has more important things to think about right now. That's what he keeps telling himself, at the very least, as he shuts up the little voice at the back of his head that tell him that there's definitely something that isn't right, that this is something worth looking into, that this may make a good story. He's become very good at ignoring that voice, in the last twenty years.

"Yeah, yeah, Suzy" he says, more because he has to say something than to actually acknowledge her, as he allows himself to be lead away.

I'll stop here just in case. If nothing else happens, plan is to go back home to get changed and check on his dog.

dancrilis
2013-09-22, 06:52 PM
She leads you out of the building humming some song that sounded like modern girl tunes to herself, she offered a smile to everyone - and most returned it, though some didn't - notable a middle aged woman after her husband said "hello Suzy", and a young child who was noisy until he say her and than quieted down - her own face took a hurt expression at that but she said nothing.

She gets him a taxi and hugs him before he gets in "well we might not meet again - have a good life, enjoy it" she says in a chipper tone, handing the the driver a few notes to pay she than flags one for herself.

At home Abby is not in good humour barking as Larry opens the door - annoyed at having been left alone. There is a stinking pile in the middle of the floor - probably excusable for a dog home alone for roughly a full day, and her water and food bowls are empty.

Strawberries
2013-09-23, 01:01 AM
Pssst... Abby's a 'her'. By the way, in real life, that's why I prefer cats. :smalltongue:

"Hey, girl" he says quietly, apologetically "Sorry for leaving you alone. I'll sort this now, alright?" He fills up her bowls, and then busies himself with cleaning up the mess. Once he's done, he opens the windows and goes to take a proper shower and dress. He should go to the newspaper, he knows, but to hell with it. Walking Abby is far more important.

dancrilis
2013-09-23, 02:48 PM
Well a cat can do it do if left alone for a while - and it is normally worst when they do :)
Updated the last one to read 'her'.

Abby quiets down at the prospect of a walk, but knowing her mood it will have to be a long one - or his work shoes will pay for it.

About half an hour in Karen calls him "Larry you ditch out early, now your not here - and HR want to talk to you again without telling me why again" is how she starts the conversation before he can get a 'hello' in, "if something is wrong let me know - drugs, hookers whatever we have seen it before and can help with those holes in HR - but can you get here soon and do your actual job?".

If he is in no mood to talk to her then the voicemail picks up the message word for word.

Strawberries
2013-09-23, 05:57 PM
Cats do their business in their litter tray, and then cover it. Or at least mine does. :smallwink: Not to say that a cat left by itself for long wouldn't shred half the furniture in the house, mind you.
However, cats are way more adorable than dogs. :smalltongue:

The walk had helped clearing his mind, a bit. On the other hand, it meant he has started to think about his situation, which hasn't been a good thing. All things considered, though, he does feel a bit better, so when the phone rings, he picks up. And immediately regrets it. "Yeah, Karen, listen, I had some business to sort. I'll be there in a while. Tell HR..." that they can piss right off. He has actually been considering just sending everything to hell, just sort Abby out, and take the next six months however they come. "Nevermind, I'll tell him myself." He isn't sure if he's going to go through with it, but the perspective does sound appealing right now.

He takes his time finishing walking his dog, another half hour at least, then heads to the newspaper.

dancrilis
2013-09-25, 05:59 AM
We never used litter trays after they stopped being kittens - never really had a problem with that (the cat wants to go out when he needs to go out), and avoided having to clean up a litter tray.

But dogs have there pluses too.

Abby seems happy enough at the end, but does require a regular bit of playing before being happy to settle down and let him leave.

The trip to work is alright also, it is a sunny day - and work itself is glum, some from being stuck inside, but last night had some bad stories too, a serious sex criminal got off on a technicality, a man had been shot near the pub Larry had been drinking at - the scene was a mess, those have jokes cracked about them. But the real bad news is the electronic market is driving journalists out of work - and it looks likely that people will soon start to lose jobs - and that has people in bad form.

Karen meets him when he gets in "about time" it wasn't harsh "I will let HR know your here and allow them to setup their meeting - but do you need anything from me here first - or have a second in the meeting for morale support?".

Strawberries
2013-09-26, 03:34 PM
It may seem odd that a crime has been committed exactly where he has hallucinated of a crime being committed, but maybe not that much. Gackle isn't a quiet town, and bloody crimes ARE an everyday occurrence. Larry allows his mind to think about it for exactly a few seconds, then brings his train of thoughts to focus on something else.

One good thing about having six months to live, he thinks bitterly, is that he doesn't need to worry about newspapers losing readers or independent bloggers on the Internet stealing his job. Other people can worry about it. Other people who are going to be still alive next year. He suppresses the urge to start laughing to himself like an idiot.

Larry would never admit it, even to himself, but he likes Karen. She leaves him alone, most of the time, and doesn't tell him what to do and how to do it. That doesn't mean he wants her to know what's going on. "I'll be alright" he answers, gruffly, then almost as a second thought "Thanks, though, boss."

dancrilis
2013-09-26, 04:44 PM
"Good so", she nods to him "well get to work, you'll get a meeting invite in a while" and she walks off.

His email has a few items in it, some from families of old cases asking someone to re-examine them, some emails about latest news and company policy, one in red to the company asking people to make sure to use spell check and to get someone to proof read articles, but nothing major.

It is about a hour later that the meeting request comes in - and is scheduled for all of fifteen minutes later.

The two people in the meeting were odd though, one was Jack Smith - possible the most hated man in the company, he had been their a long time and was a completely honest straight shooting jerk - the kind of guy that would stab you in the front and smile as he explained why. He was high up in HR and more at this point on the finance side, the second was one of his daughter - an intern learning.

It was odd that they Trevor Kelly wasn't there - especially as he was the one that Larry had met yesterday.

Entering Jack's office he smiled "Larry good to see you, you know my daughter Mary" indicating the girl - her name was actually Sara one of his other girls was Mary "don't worry about her she is only here to watch listen and learn - and be quite about it".

"I'll cut to the chase - your dying, I know it and you know it - you shouldn't Trevor that little rat was not meant to tell you, we were going to dump you in a general sacking that we have coming up. But Trevor put himself on the liability list by breaking protocol - you won't be seeing him again" he kept smiling "anyway I thought about it and have decided that if you are willing to play ball I am willing to let you keep your job and medical".

"I ... no wait I suppose it is 'polite' to let you get a word in", his tone indicated to make it fast if Larry wanted to say something.

Strawberries
2013-09-28, 05:13 PM
Poor bastard is the only thought he spares for Trevor, but he has other things to think about now. Things that don't make that much sense. "Let me get this straight - first you wanted to sack me, then you tell me I'd better resign, and now you are offering me to keep my job and medical" Whatever those guys are on, Larry wants some of that as well. "Tell you what, Sara" Larry makes a point of using the right name. He doesn't know what Jack's reason is for using the wrong name for his daughter, but he wants to let him know that he isn't that oblivious. "You should make a note on your pad that that's a stupid way to do things. So, why don't you tell me what changed?"

dancrilis
2013-09-30, 01:26 PM
"Yes I wanted to sack you - because you were a liability, than of you resigned it would have been better all around - and now I want you to stay on because it allows me to retain an experienced asset during a period of downsizing. Why want to retain you? Because now that you know your dying, we can lump you people on you to train - and you will want to me the best you can be to allow some limited legacy. If you didn't know well you wouldn't have that - so what changed was Trevor opened his idiot mouth to you".

Looking at the girl "Sara?, oh that's right, you all look so similar" he shrugs "ah but who cares".

"Similarly you could try to sue us - and we can spin that into a story and make a mint from it, or you can be a good employee and we can do an piece on your 'good work' when you die and take up some space - we were going to do that second one anyway in a few months - but we can wait a few years" he smiled.

Strawberries
2013-09-30, 05:34 PM
Larry frowns at the man in front of him. What he hopes to gain by pretending to forget the name of his own daughter, he doesn't know. If he wants to pass for a cold bastard, that's a pretty stupid way of doing it. He just managed to look like a dumb bastard.. How did Jack managed to look, though, is not exactly his top concern right now. He manages to keep a straight face at the prospect of "training" people. Sure, why not, let him send some poor idiot my way. The bother will be worth the medical. It's not like he has any intention to do any active effort to REALLY teach them something.

"Alright. You've got a deal" he says, simply.

dancrilis
2013-10-02, 05:24 PM
"Excellent" he points as Sara "teach her", he looks does at the paper in front of him and starts writing - you are half convinced it is a crossword, he looks at the both of you less than three seconds later "you can get out now - I'm busy".

Leaving the room the girl is almost in tears "sorry <sniff> about dad, and about <sniff> your illness" you get the impression that it is more than about you or her father that is upsetting her.

She collects herself "sorry, I'll try to do a good job and learn without getting in your way - I'm Sara" she offers her hand, than gapes for a second "but you knew that already, sorry" the girl said sorry ... a lot.

"What should I do first - do you want some tea?" she asked.

Strawberries
2013-10-03, 04:30 PM
"Her." Larry says in a tone that clearly implies 'what am I supposed to do with HER?' but collects himself soon enough. Hell, it may have been a trained monkey for all he cares. Mean to an end, Larry, nothing more. he tells quite firmly to himself.

"Yeah, yeah" he dismisses her tears quite brusquely. At least she recognises the need of staying out of his way. That's promising enough. She may turn out not to be a completely pain in the ass. Not that he has great expectations on it.

And why the devil not? May as well get a drink out of it "Coffee, sweetheart. Go on, I'll be at my desk."

Disclaimer: oh, yeah, calling a colleague who happens to be a young girl "sweetheart" is pretty sexist. I personally strongly dislike when people do it to ME. But as you may have guessed, Larry doesn't give a damn. :smalltongue:

dancrilis
2013-10-04, 04:48 PM
The rest of the working day is fairly uneventful, he has a personal servant who gets him coffee now so that is an improvement. Karen pays him a visit to check on him and make sure there was nothing she had to take care of - but it takes her less than thirty seconds to figure that out.

Sara in credit to her was interested in learning - but she lacked direction, so unless Larry provided it is was clear she would get lost doing nothing.

Unless there is anything particular that he wants to do his day is fairly uneventful.

One down - less left.

Strawberries
2013-10-07, 05:50 PM
I'm not going to skip to the hospital appointment (and I suppose if I book an appointment now, it's bound to not be straight away). I reckon, meta-gaming wise, that I DO want to play the nights: that visit to the hospital may become unnecessary after all... :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

The high point (or low point, if you want to put it that way) of Larry's day is a phone call to the hospital, where he spends half an hour on hold on the phone before managing to book an appointment with the doctor that signed that report... he's not available before Wednesday, though, which is three days away. Larry isn't sure if that's a good or a bad thing. On the one hand, it means starting the possible treatment later, but it also means that he won't really know how bad it's going to be till later, which is sort of a relief. Screw all that. I need a drink.

Sara herself isn't doing much to help his mood. Sure, coffee is nice, but she looks clueless, and he honestly can't be bothered with her. Nonetheless, he gives her a couple of easy enough tasks, just to get her off his back: mostly archiving stuffs and organise folders that he's never even going to look back again. Almost unwillingly, though, he finds himself trying to figure out if she is a stupid little girl, which is what his first impression had been, or if there is something salvageable. Not that he has any intention of being the one to salvage it.

As for himself, just because he has to do something to keep his mind off things, he starts going through some of the police reports for this week crime. As usual, he does that without any particular passion, just going through the motions.

When the time comes to get home, his first instinct is to go back to yesterday's bar and order another bottle of whatever it was that had such a beautiful effect yesterday, but he's stopped by the thought of Abby all by herself. He can bring her out for a walk and then get drunk in the comfort of his own house I've got three bottles of Jack Daniel's back there with my name written on it.

Per + empathy to figure out Sara [roll0]
Per + investigation/alertness (same dice pool anyway) to go through the police report, see if there's anything interesting [roll1]

dancrilis
2013-10-11, 06:55 AM
Observing Sara - something is bothering her, every now and then she looks like she is about to cry, but she manages to hold it together.

The hospital does give him a bit of a run around before he finally can get an appointment - not least of which is when they randomly disconnect him after being on hold for a while, but perseverance seems to win them over.

The items that might be worth dealing with centre around a few bodies found in the lake - something of the region of five by the looks of it, but they are in pieces so there might be more - the police are trying to cover it up, likely to avoid the paperwork. Karen has a lot of people wanting the case as it is make or break for some people that might get laid off soon. She mentions to Larry that it is his - she doesn't seem enthused about giving it to him really. But she likely knows that his heart is not in it - she probably got an order from on high.
Sara is a little excited about helping him investigate it - and stays in the office late to try to get some info on possible serial killers, you think she might be trying to get her mind off her own problems.

Other items that won't meet the light of day are a politician's relationship with his daughter, a police shooting of a few 'suspects' after a panic, and a trial of a postal worker who entered someone's house to save them from a fire - and is being done for trespassing by the 'victim'.

Getting home Abby is happy to see him at least.

Strawberries
2013-10-13, 05:19 AM
Larry's got his own problems in his life, and he has absolutely no time to waste on a over-sensitive little girl. Or that's what he quite firmly tells himself. He manages to ignore her quire thoroughly during the entire work day. And it's not my problem if she wants to stay to work late to stay away from daddy.. Hell, "daddy" is a nasty bastard, Larry would work late himself if it meant seeing the man less. Fortunately, his house is quite happily jerk-free, so as soon as the last minute of his work hour passes he grabs his coat and bag and gets the first bus home, after having instructed the girl to "Put everything in a folder, sweetheart, I'll have a look at it tomorrow." Hell, he may even do it, if he's bored and it's a slow day.

Once home, he pets his dog and gives a long wistful look to the cabinet where the bottles are - but Abby needs to be walked first and he knows that, if he starts drinking, he'll most likely forget about it again "Hey, girl" he says quietly, as he fastens the leash to her collar "I really need to start thinking what to do with you" He fleetingly wonders if Karen likes dogs.

Well,I'm off to the park, I guess

dancrilis
2013-10-13, 05:44 PM
The park is dark but not quite night, Abby was happy to be out but wants to be off the leash once they reach it - that is a risk, there have been dog-nappings recently, and at least one want to be serial killer practising on animals, but it would be the only real way for her to enjoy some freedom.

There are a few joggers around, and some homeless people sitting out of the way.

Some of the lights should be on by now - but they seem to be broken, in half an hour of so the place will be pitch black in areas.

Strawberries
2013-10-14, 06:01 PM
Larry gets the leash off Abby as soon as they are in a good spot. He's not THAT worried: Abby is actually quite well trained, and she knows how to respond to commands like "come", "heel" and "stay". She will stretch her legs a bit, but she won't wander too far off, and will come back as soon as she's called. And he's not planning to get her off his sight, anyway.

dancrilis
2013-10-15, 09:21 AM
Abby is happy to be off the leash - she goes running around the park sniffing at trees and digging a few holes. It is possibly the happiest that Larry has seen her in a while as she turns to return to him that changes abruptly as she begins to bark and run towards him.

As Abby reaches them she is almost frothing - and obviously terrified as she stand to Larry's side half between protecting him and half between hiding behind him.

"Nice dog" the voice is young and childlike but cuts through the snarling clearly - dogs have been put down for this kind of behaviour when people see it as dangerous.

Turning there is a young girl - maybe ten - standing behind him, a slight smile on her lips - what looks to be a thin frisbee is in her hands.

If the girl is worried she give no sign - and where her parents are is unknown, and despite all logic Larry gets the impression of a seriously dangerous person about her.

Whether that is just a gut reaction to how Abby would react to a burglar or someone threatening him and her current behaviour, or something deeper is something that might be considered later.

Strawberries
2013-10-15, 02:36 PM
"Abby, down!" Larry orders, sharply, grabbing her collar to avoid her to attack. No that Abby looks like she wants to attack anyone. More like run away.

He takes an unconscious step back, half-dragging the dog with him. "Yeah," he answers, tensely "she's a bit nervous right now" And she's not the only one. Larry couldn't say why he has the sudden need to swallow, but he does. "It's... it's getting late, why don't you go find your parents, girl?"

dancrilis
2013-10-15, 03:23 PM
The sun had went down quickly as expected but with decent night vision and a happy dog it went unnoticed until now - the park looked more different at night with an scared dog and flickering lights.

<bark> <bark> <bark> <snarl> <tug> <bark>

The girls eyes meet Larry's "dead for a while now - but considerate of you to ask" her tone indicating that it was in some way amusing, whether it was that he asked are that it was considerate was a difficult to tell - something about the tone spoke of the latter.

<bark> <whine> <whine> <snarl> <tug> <bark>

"So Larry Pearson - crime reporter with decades of experience, goes for a walk alone at night in a park" her tone curious "some might find that to be suspicious for an educated man your age?" her tone made it a query.

<bark> the girl looked at the dog her face masked by the darkness, Abby went fanatic - tugging to flee and almost moving to bit Larry to get away.
Fortunately Larry has some experience with her and manages to semi wrestle her into a hold on the ground - but she in whimpering and almost catatonic - her eyes terrified.

"Animals don't really like me" the girl says "mean to change that - but been busy you know" there is a pause "having to cleaning up after people that are meant to do this kind of thing themselves can be annoying" that last sounds malicious - but not directed at Larry or Abby really.

Strawberries
2013-10-16, 02:09 PM
Larry quickly double checks his memory - no, he has left home BEFORE opening the kitchen cupboard where he keeps the Jack Daniels, so he is, for once, perfectly sober. Which leaves only another option, really, considering that the girl knows his name. "Alright, girl, very funny. Who put you up to this?" And in his best authoritarian voice "And whatever you are doing, stop scaring my dog."

dancrilis
2013-10-16, 02:37 PM
"HA" the sound is like a crack, louder than it ha any right to be "scare me into your perceived correct behaviour" she is using a more childish laugh now "that is just rich".

There is at least a wide smile on her face now "Jan told me you would be useful - I didn't think it would be as a comic" she sighed "but at least your sober tonight".

"Right here is the deal - you are coming with me, you don't have a choice in that but your dog gets home if you come willingly - I will allow the time for that. Unwillingly and your dog becomes a lost in the park story, and you have one creepy night ahead of you", tilting her head at Larry "so agree and you get to go home and will be picked up in an hour or so - disagree and I will make you abandon her and feel like a pervert - your call?" the impression of the second option is that the girl would make you pay for forcing her hand on it - how she would accomplish that however was a puzzle however - drugs maybe?

Strawberries
2013-10-20, 05:08 AM
That is just rich, a pint-sized thug trying to order me around. Is Larry's first reaction... then he catches the name Jan. Dammit, someone is going to pay for this.. Who has put her to it is still an open point, though: precious few people know about Jan: he doesn't like talking about his wife a lot. And actually, she looks quite well-articulated for a ten year old.

The inexplicable feeling of nervousness, the idea that she probably can do what she is threatening to do, comes back in full force. Which is obviously ridiculous... but if somebody has put a little girl up to that, it's possible that that somebody wouldn't balk at hurting a dog, too. And it's the urge of keeping Abby safe that makes him answer, as ridiculous as it may be "I'm bringing my dog home now." Raising his voice to be heard by whoever is pulling the strings on this...whatever this is. "Feeling proud, using a ten years old girl, you pervert? How about in an hour you come by yourself, and we settle whatever this is?"

dancrilis
2013-10-26, 02:28 PM
The girl beams a wide smile on her face "goody goody gumdrops" the tone is sarcastic "a man capable of listening to sense" she claps her hands, and spins on her heel.

After about ten steps she turns "one hour, best behaviour - a car will pick you up" she teeth almost shine in the dark "and believe it or not I am in charge".

Assuming that Larry going home Abby takes a while to settle in the park, but is eager to leave it when she finally stands up.

Getting home she is trembling and unlike normal does not immediately go for her water, instead sticking close to Larry or whimpering if she is locked away from him while he does other business.

Whatever the girl said about an hour her people were late, but around one hour and thirty minutes later the bell rings.

Strawberries
2013-11-06, 07:00 PM
The very first thing Larry does when he gets home is closing the door and allowing himself a nice long shudder. The second is reaching for the second kitchen cabinet from the left and downing four long sips directly from the bottle of whiskey. He starts to feel a bit less nervous after that.

When the doorbell rings, for a moment, Larry toys with the idea of simply not opening at all, sticking something heavy behind the door and snicker to himself while whoever's out there gets frustrated and leaves. A very simple thought prevents him from going through with it. What exactly do I have to lose now? Interesting, how being a dead man walking changes somebody's perception. Whatever may happen tonight, it's not like he actually cares.

There IS something he cares about, though, so his first reaction, after having addressed a grunt to the door that might be generously interpreted as 'one second', is to grab Abby's collar and lock her in the bedroom, the furthest room from the door. That said, he goes to get the door, but first he makes sure to take his keys. As a crime reporter, he's seen that one a million times: keys make for a decent improvised weapon, almost on par of a brass knuckle, if one's careful to grip them right...and Larry figures it's best to be prepared.

I'm assuming there's a chain on the door so it doesn't open all the way through?

dancrilis
2013-11-10, 01:03 PM
Abby is reluctant but she is not barking or going mad this time, and moves to the bedroom as needed.

Whoever is at the door seems patient enough, and they don't knock again while you are preparing, opening it a crack Larry sees a large man at the other-side maybe over six and a half foot tall, and built to match, his features are difficult to place - he is pale but not exactly caucasian, normally the colour would make someone like pasty but that effect is not present - he just looks pale in the porch light.

He wasn't an attractive man, and had many scars running along him - some wee burn marks, but they seemed not to make him ugly either, just distinctive. Likely a certain type of woman would find it appealing.

For now he just looked bored, "ready to go?" was all he said.

Strawberries
2013-11-18, 05:29 PM
Larry grips the keys a little bit tighter - now, a scarred adult man fits a bit more with the idea of an abduction compared with a nine year old girl."Are YOU the one behind all this, then? What do you want with me?" Almost as soon as he asks, he regrets it.

dancrilis
2013-11-22, 02:25 AM
The man looks at Larry and his posture changes slightly and somewhat threateningly "best check yourself" he relaxes again "and no not in charge - you met her, this is punishment for me for Janice's bad decisions" he doesn't sound happy about that "you will find out the story soon enough - don't bother with recorders".

He steps away to a van seemingly expecting Larry to follow.

Strawberries
2013-12-09, 05:32 PM
Larry starts to consider the situation rationally, but then the man mentions Janice. To hell with everything, he needs to know what's going on. And after all, what do I really have to lose? With that thought in mind he relaxes his hold on the keys, then shrugs and follows the man to where he wants to bring him.