PDA

View Full Version : [GIFT] Determine Gift (rookie)

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 08:27 AM
Determine Gift
Divination
Level: Bard 3, Cleric 3, Wizard/Sorcerer 3
Components: M/DF
Casting Time: Instant (free action)
Range: Close, line of sight
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster gains a brief insight into the target's mind which allows her to determine what type and size of a gift would produce a favorable reaction from the target to the caster. This spell may not be used to divine underlying desires or motives, only to determine what type of gift or bribe would get on the target's "good side" (or in the case of a non-intelligent target, would provide sufficient distraction for the target). Regardless of whether or not the spell is resisted, the target is unaware that the spell has been used.

Material component: a piece of ribbon.

Notes:

* Despite the spell telling the character what a good bribe... er.. gift should be, it's still up the characters to present the gift properly; e.g., 100 GP may be a sufficient bribe for the castle guard, but just walking up to him and handing him a sack of gold in broad daylight might not work out so well.

* In general, try to restrict having this spell cast on PCs, to avoid metagaming hell.

* The "gift" need not be a tangible item. It could be information, flattery, or even just a sympathetic ear to listen to their troubles.

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 09:25 AM
Case 1 (not having the spell):

:vaarsuvius: Elan, use your bard magic! Thog must have an abyssmal Will saving throw.

:elan: Oh, right, I forgot I could do that! Silent image!

(Illusionary female half-orc appears and winks at Thog)

:vaarsuvius: Good gods, man! Is that the only illusion you can ever devise??

:elan: Yeah. I mean, it was that, or a litter of puppies, and I doubt a rampaging barbarian would have stopped for that!

:thog: ewww! thog thinks pretty girls are icky!

Case 2 (using the spell):

:vaarsuvius: Elan, use your bard magic! Thog must have an abyssmal Will saving throw.

:elan: Oh, right, I forgot I could do that! Determine gift!

:thog: (thinking) thog likes puppies. puppies are soft and fuzzy.

:elan: Silent image!

(An illusionary litter of puppies appears)

:thog: ooh, puppies!

Peregrine
2006-12-30, 11:54 AM
One point: is the ribbon or divine focus really its only component? A material-only spell would be pretty unusual, I think, and every bard spell is supposed to have a verbal component.

Otherwise a very interesting and practical spell. I like how you've, ah, 'explored' the surprise theme of the contest. :smallwink: (Wait, that pun is actually worse than I meant it to be. Explored the surprise... discovered it... oh well.)

Duke of URL
2006-12-31, 06:27 AM
One point: is the ribbon or divine focus really its only component? A material-only spell would be pretty unusual, I think, and every bard spell is supposed to have a verbal component.

I know it's unusual, but it makes sense from the practical side of things... the target shouldn't be aware the spell ever happened. Maybe overpowered for the spell level?

Peregrine
2006-12-31, 11:22 AM
Maybe overpowered for the spell level?

Maybe, since it's essentially a free Silent/Still Spell (and Silent Spell is normally forbidden to bards). But I do understand your reason and it really is just a minor quibble. :smallsmile: (Except, maybe, the silent bard spell thing. Bard spells being verbal is a pretty solid rule, I thought.)