PDA

View Full Version : Maxing out Disguise

Feilith
2013-08-26, 08:42 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

After reading about one peculiar
http://dicemonkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/E665n.jpg
I'm curious about how this would be playable at low levels. The first step is maxing out disguise, how would one go about getting a huge disguise modifier at low levels?

Unbalanced
2013-08-26, 09:02 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

After reading about one peculiar
http://dicemonkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/E665n.jpg
I'm curious about how this would be playable at low levels. The first step is maxing out disguise, how would one go about getting a huge disguise modifier at low levels?

I've seen this before and think its freakin' hilarious.
But since playing I have wondered how it'd be possible.
Surely you'd have to have some hefty magic items at level 1 to give you some major bonuses to bluff and disguise to make it work.

Der_DWSage
2013-08-26, 10:47 PM
Well, lessee. Start with 4 ranks in Disguise and Bluff, obviously. Assuming 18 Charisma, that gives you a +8 to start with. Get a Hat of Disguise (Stretching it, but it's still moderately cheap) for +18 Disguise, +8 Bluff. Skill Focus:Disguise for +21, Masterwork Disguise Kit for +23 and you have a human disguise that untrained people aren't going to beat, and most first-level opponents will have a hard time piercing. It skyrockets to +26 at 2nd level, due to synergy. (Assuming you take both Disguise and Bluff to 5 ranks, obviously.)

Granted, that's really stretching things a lot, but at least it's something. And if your GM plays by literal interpretations, it's only a +2 modifier to disguise yourself as a different race. And to quote the SRD...

Your Disguise check result determines how good the disguise is, and it is opposed by others’ Spot check results. If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Spot checks. If you come to the attention of people who are suspicious (such as a guard who is watching commoners walking through a city gate), it can be assumed that such observers are taking 10 on their Spot checks.

So...don't be suspicious until you have a truly epic Disguise modifier. I'm sure there's some Factotum craziness you can pull off-this is just baseline shenanigans.

Also keep in mind that Disguise Self's bonus is an Untyped one, so it stacks with all manner of competence-based items. It's not that difficult to get +50 to your Disguise by the time you reach level 5, if all your wealth goes into it. (8 ranks, 4 Charisma, 10 hat, 20 item, 2 synergy, 2 masterwork, 3 Circlet of Persuasion, 49 total.) And that's without advanced munchkinry.