PDA

View Full Version : How are we NOT on the brink of the final battle?

Edric O
2013-08-26, 10:02 PM
The Giant has been tying up a lot of loose ends lately, and I'm a little confused by this. Why? Because it feels like we're almost at the final battle. The Linear Guild is finished, the other secondary villains are either unreachable (IFCC) or trying to help (Team Tarquin), and the clock is ticking since Team Evil has already reached the final dungeon. Depending on the strength of its defenses, this means that Redcloak and Xykon are just a few hours, days, or (at most) weeks away from getting access to the Gate and beginning the Ritual. Thus, it seems that there cannot be more than just a few weeks of in-universe time left before the final confrontation.

How can these few weeks (if not days or mere hours) drag out over two more books? I know we've had some days of in-universe time in the current arc that took hundreds of strips to play out, but that's because the Order was fighting the Linear Guild. Now there are no more obstacles standing between the Order and Team Evil. They could be at Kraagor's Tomb in minutes if they take Tarquin's help.

Of course, the Order could refuse Tarquin's help and try to reach the Dwarven Lands by mundane means, taking a whole book to arrive there and going through a bunch of unrelated adventures along the way... but that doesn't sound like something the Giant would do, since it would mean going on for hundreds of strips without advancing the main plot at all. Also, I don't see how they could possibly arrive in time to stop Xykon in this manner.

In order to stop Xykon, the Order must get to Kraagor's Tomb very quickly (by whatever means), which should mean that the final battle is just around the corner...

So, basically, I feel that all the pieces are in place for the final confrontation to begin almost immediately (i.e. within the next 50 strips, at the start of the next book) and I'm really curious to see what will go wrong to delay it.

Gray Mage
2013-08-26, 10:06 PM
It could be one more normal book plus another prequel book (expanding on the Linear Guid and Tarquin's group), although I find it unlikely. My bet is, one book for Kraagor's Gate and then probably another for the world inside the rift.

Weiser_Cain
2013-08-26, 10:08 PM
Speculation
Because they're probably going to lose a bit first and somehow find themselves in the other world and half-solve the problem from the other direction undermining the whole team evil plot before coming back to kill the remaining member, yes that's two speculations

ti'esar
2013-08-26, 10:08 PM
There's also the possibility that Team Evil actually manages to complete the ritual.

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-26, 10:09 PM
We have some stuff to get out of the way first, like V's confession and the possible ramifications from that. They might try to figure out what's the deal with that planet. But you're right: Xykon and RC are at the final Gate. Serini's monsters will slow them down, but time is not on the Order's side.

Demolator
2013-08-26, 10:14 PM
Speculation
Because they're probably going to lose a bit first and somehow find themselves in the other world and half-solve the problem from the other direction undermining the whole team evil plot before coming back to kill the remaining member, yes that's two speculations

Oh goodness, it's Tales of Symphonia all over again. Anyway, I actually think it'd be really cool if they went to the other world first and I kind of hope it happens, if only for the sake of prolonging the story. Maybe they can even find out the whole story of the snarl and the gates and all and somehow use that world to take care of the IFCC or something, who knows. MAYBE ELAN'S MOM IS THERE! :smallbiggrin:

Edric O
2013-08-26, 10:17 PM
We have some stuff to get out of the way first, like V's confession and the possible ramifications from that. But you're right: Xykon and RC are at the final Gate. Serini's monsters will slow them down, but time is not on the Order's side.
Right. I don't see how Serini's monsters could slow them down enough for us to have two more books' worth of events before the Order gets to fight them. There simply isn't time for another Don't-Split-The-Party-style detour. Either the Order starts fighting Team Evil really soon, or... I don't know what. They actually complete the Ritual and it doesn't do what they think it does? An entirely new faction shows up to defend the last Gate and Team Evil are forced to retreat? There's some sort of Dorukan-style "lock" on the Gate that keeps them busy for months?

Porthos
2013-08-26, 10:19 PM
Of course, the Order could refuse Tarquin's help and try to reach the Dwarven Lands by mundane means, taking a whole book to arrive there and going through a bunch of unrelated adventures along the way... but that doesn't sound like something the Giant would do, since it would mean going on for hundreds of strips without advancing the main plot at all.

There is a possible slight problem with your analysis. The 'main plot', as you put it, IS the adventures of The Order of the Stick. The Snarl and everything tied up* in that is simply the macguffin that everyone is chasing.

Plus, we have a bunch of unfinished business with Durkon and the Dwarves, the RiftWorld and everything else mentioned in this thread.

I could easily see another 400 or 500 strips left. :smallsmile:

Right. I don't see how Serini's monsters could slow them down enough for us to have two more books' worth of events before the Order gets to fight them. There simply isn't time for another Don't-Split-The-Party-style detour. Either the Order starts fighting Team Evil really soon, or... I don't know what. They actually complete the Ritual and it doesn't do what they think it does? An entirely new faction shows up to defend the last Gate and Team Evil are forced to retreat? There's some sort of Dorukan-style "lock" on the Gate that keeps them busy for months?

The ritual takes a 'few weeks' to complete. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html)

Though Team OotS doesn't know this, of course. :smallwink:

Ron Miel
2013-08-26, 10:21 PM
Remember that the ritual takes a few weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html) to complete.

If Xykon captures the gate, that gives us a few weeks of story time for the heroes to regroup, gather allies, and attack.

Edit - ninja'd

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-26, 10:23 PM
Keep in mind that a short amount of time in-comic can be a LONG time in terms of the # of pages it takes.

For example:

Strip #300 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html): Xykon and co. start marching to Azure City (end of Book 2 about to get into Book 3). This is the equivalent of where we are in the story now as of #914 (about to end one book and start another).

They then didn't arrive at Azure City (or more specifically, the last guard tower before the city, a day's march away) until Strip #368. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0368.html) But because of the Linear Guild stuff (Nale impersonating Elan) we don't get to Miko reporting that Xykon is there until #406. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html) Or to the actual start of the big battle until 422. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html)

The Battle for Azure City (which is just ONE day) lasts from 422 all the way to #484. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html)

So, if the next book is anything like that one, we can expect 60 pages or so of buildup/side plot/setting up the pieces, then another 40 or so of other trouble (Maybe from Serini or the Dwarven Kingdom), then another 20 or so of finally closing in on the big showdown with Xykon and Redcloak, then another 60 or so of the actual showdown itself.

That could be a whole book right there.

Edric O
2013-08-26, 10:25 PM
I know there are several other loose ends to tie up, like Elan's plan to deal with Tarquin, plus everything else that was mentioned (finding out the truth about the Rift-world, the issue of Durkon and the dwarves...) but the problem is that there simply isn't enough in-universe time to take a break from stopping Xykon now. The clock is ticking.

To put it differently: It seems to me that all those other loose ends have to wait until after the final battle. I don't see how they could have enough time to deal with them before.

Of course, that might be the answer to my question: They take one book to deal with Team Evil and then another one to tie up all the loose ends afterwards. But this seems... unlikely. A whole book of miscellaneous clean-up after the defeat of the main villain doesn't really make for a thrilling story, and the Giant is nothing if not a great story teller. He must have something else up his sleeve.

Porthos
2013-08-26, 10:28 PM
Keep in mind that a short amount of time in-comic can be a LONG time in terms of the # of pages it takes.

For example:

Strip #300 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html): Xykon and co. start marching to Azure City (end of Book 2 about to get into Book 3). This is the equivalent of where we are in the story now as of #914 (about to end one book and start another).

They then didn't arrive at Azure City (or more specifically, the last guard tower before the city, a day's march away) until Strip #368. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0368.html) But because of the Linear Guild stuff (Nale impersonating Elan) we don't get to Miko reporting that Xykon is there until #406. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html) Or to the actual start of the big battle until 422. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html)

The Battle for Azure City (which is just ONE day) lasts from 422 all the way to #484. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html)

So, if the next book is anything like that one, we can expect 60 pages or so of buildup/side plot/setting up the pieces, then another 40 or so of other trouble (Maybe from Serini or the Dwarven Kingdom), then another 20 or so of finally closing in on the big showdown with Xykon and Redcloak, then another 60 or so of the actual showdown itself.

That could be a whole book right there.

Even better example. From Strip #673 to #914, it's been, what, two weeks tops? I know it's not even been one day from #836, and that's coming up on 80 strips. :smallwink:

TRH
2013-08-26, 10:29 PM
Next problem, though - Cloister. If TE really need weeks without getting interrupted, then you know Xykon will bust that out again. Then what?

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-26, 10:31 PM
Who's to say some loose ends can't be wrapped up on the way to the final battle?

Kraagor was a dwarf. It stands to reason that his tomb could be located with or near Durkon's clan.

Porthos
2013-08-26, 10:33 PM
I know there are several other loose ends to tie up, like Elan's plan to deal with Tarquin, plus everything else that was mentioned (finding out the truth about the Rift-world, the issue of Durkon and the dwarves...) but the problem is that there simply isn't enough in-universe time to take a break from stopping Xykon now. The clock is ticking.

There is another consideration you are forgetting though. If O-Chul and Lien have made it to Kraagor's Gate they said they will contact Roy and tell him what is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html)

Even if it is one-way communication thanks to Cloister, O-Chul/Lein can keep them apprised of what Team Evil is up to and how much time, if any, they have.

Ron Miel
2013-08-26, 10:50 PM
Some important subplots left to tell:

- the liberation of Azure City
- defeating Tarquin and the Empire
- the story of Aunt Ivy
- the revenge of the thieves guild
- Haley's secret (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html)
- the redemption of Belkar and/ or Vaarsuvius
- Why did the Scribbles break up?

Yes, I can certainly see another two books in there.

SaintRidley
2013-08-26, 10:51 PM
We are on the brink. The characters will almost certainly have their final showdown in a matter of weeks.

Now, those weeks will take several years for us, but to Roy and everybody it'll be just a few weeks.

Warren Dew
2013-08-26, 11:43 PM
How can these few weeks (if not days or mere hours) drag out over two more books? I know we've had some days of in-universe time in the current arc that took hundreds of strips to play out, but that's because the Order was fighting the Linear Guild. Now there are no more obstacles standing between the Order and Team Evil. They could be at Kraagor's Tomb in minutes if they take Tarquin's help.
Among other things, isn't Serini's gate guarded by a whole bunch of random monsters? Two parties battling through those could easily take hundreds of strips before they meet.

Ron Miel
2013-08-26, 11:45 PM
But each party will meet exactly one random monster.

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-27, 12:00 AM
Among other things, isn't Serini's gate guarded by a whole bunch of random monsters? Two parties battling through those could easily take hundreds of strips before they meet.

Serini did indeed stock Kraagor's Gate with "the world's nastiest monsters", but unless those are Epic beasties, they'll be little more than a speedbump to Team Evil.

They'll probably give the OOTS grief, though.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-27, 12:01 AM
There seems little reason for a world to be shown inside the Rift if nobody ever sets foot on it. So, I assume that the fifth gate is a bit of a red herring, and the world within a world is where a lot of action is going to take place.

Amphiox
2013-08-27, 01:03 AM
it feels like we're almost at the final battle. The Linear Guild is finished, the other secondary villains are either unreachable (IFCC) or trying to help (Team Tarquin), and the clock is ticking since Team Evil has already reached the final dungeon. Depending on the strength of its defenses, this means that Redcloak and Xykon are just a few hours, days, or (at most) weeks away from getting access to the Gate and beginning the Ritual. Thus, it seems that there cannot be more than just a few weeks of in-universe time left before the final confrontation.

How can these few weeks (if not days or mere hours) drag out over two more books?

You are making several big assumptions here. Chief among them that a confrontation at Kraagor's Tomb for possession of the final gate must necessarily be the FINAL confrontation of this narrative.

At this point there are enough hints dropped that I can certainly envision it possible that we will see Team Evil win the fight for Kraagor's Gate, cast the ritual, and complete the plan, only for (dun, dun, DUN...) the big reveal that the whole story about the gates, rifts and Snarl turns out to have been some kind of false flag operation, with perhaps even the Dark One himself having been deceived from the beginning.

And the last book and a half of the story will explore the ramifications of this.

Because if there is one consistently common pattern in epic fantasy fiction, it is that the BIG CONFLICT, as presented to the heroes in the early going as the raison d'etre of their quest, and the premise by which the audience is pulled along, almost NEVER actually turns out to be the REAL conflict.

There is almost always some kind of twist.

Porthos
2013-08-27, 01:20 AM
Yesss... See, I'm slowly wondering if Team Evil won't in fact complete the ritual after all.

Could happen you know, if various roadblocks get thrown in Team OotS way. Or they decide to reject Team Tarquin's help. Or they find out it isn't quite as helpful as is being led to believed.

Lots of room here for storytelling even if the Kraagor showdown is in fact the final main stage. Including the ever popular:

What Happens Now? :smallsmile:

LadyEowyn
2013-08-27, 01:25 AM
I don't see any way that the next book wouldn't focus around Kraagor's Gate, given that Team Evil are already on their way there. Given the number of different players at the moment (Team Evil [of which the three characters all have conflicting aims], the Order, Tarquin, the IFCC, Sabine, the Azure City remnant, the dwarves themselves, the monsters in Serini's dungeon) there are plenty of ways for the Giant to get a full - and large - book out of it. The only problem is how to get Tarquin involved in the next gate, and Sabine is perfectly set up, plot-wise, to have a role in that right now.

What happens at the last gate will lead into what happens in the final book, likely related to the revelation of what has happened with the Snarl and the significance/meaning of the world in the rift.

Copperdragon
2013-08-27, 02:30 AM
Instead of looking at what has been tied up you should look at what is still left.

And even if nothing but Team Evil and the Order is involved it still could fill one book.

There is plenty of material left. We have the IFCC, possibly Team Tarquin, another gate, we have the paladins still out there, Redcloak, the Monster in the Dark, Xykon, Durkon's Character Development, Belkar's Death, Ian Starshine, Haley's Secret, the planet in the rift, the actual Plot of the Gods... and those are just the things from the top opf my mind without assuming there could even come up some new stuff.

If Rich cuts the existing books short (more the size of the second) even three regular ones do not seem impossible.

Weiser_Cain
2013-08-27, 04:07 AM
Oh goodness, it's Tales of Symphonia all over again.[/SPOILER]

I'm taking that as a compliment.

Morty
2013-08-27, 04:25 AM
The problem with your assumptions, as other people have said, is that you expect the OotS to stop the Team Evil before they can complete the ritual in one big, climatic battle. This may not be what happens at all. People have already listed all the complications that wait for both groups along the way, and I'm just going to add the tensions in the TE itself. Redcloak and Xykon are butting heads more and more with each passing day. Xykon still holds the hold-up in the Azure City against Redcloak and has no more patience for his side-schemes. Redcloak, meanwhile, seems to be finding it increasingly harder to put up with his role of Xykon's obedient boot-lick. Then there's the fact that the Plan is not what Xykon thinks it is, but more importantly, it might not work the way Redcloak and the Dark One expect it to either.

And of course, those are just the complications we know about.

Kish
2013-08-27, 06:27 AM
There were two books between the destruction of Dorukan's Gate and Xykon and Redcloak reaching Soon's Gate, and two books between the destruction of Soon's Gate and Xykon and Redcloak reaching Girard's Gate, so I don't know why you find it hard to imagine how there will be two books between the destruction of Girard's Gate and the climax of the comic.

Rakoa
2013-08-27, 06:53 AM
The Order arrives and does battle with Team Evil. Either side accidentally destroys The Final Gate. Both sides tense for destruction and being unmade...but nothing happens. Turns out Girard was a better Illusionist than they thought. His Gate remains.

Muenster Man
2013-08-27, 07:03 AM
I'm surprised that no one expects at least a significant portion of the comic to take place at Xykon's fortress-tomb-thingie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) on the Astral plane.

Kish
2013-08-27, 07:07 AM
Conversely, considering it holds exactly nothing relevant, I'm surprised that so many people do think that.

Gitman00
2013-08-27, 07:24 AM
Conversely, considering it holds exactly nothing relevant, I'm surprised that so many people do think that.

Chekhov's Gun / Conservation of Detail. Why show it to us if it has no plot relevance? Sure, it could have been just for flavor, to show us Redcloak's cunning in swapping the phylactery, but it could just as easily have been foreshadowing for a future scene.

Kish
2013-08-27, 07:30 AM
Chekhov's Gun / Conservation of Detail.
"Conservation of detail is overrated."

--some guy who probably doesn't know anything relevant to OotS anyway

For the benefit of anyone who didn't see the original quote when he posted it, it was the Giant.

masamune1
2013-08-27, 07:54 AM
I'm disappointed that there are only two books left.

This could go on for twice as long.

Newwby
2013-08-27, 09:24 AM
I'm surprised that no one expects at least a significant portion of the comic to take place at Xykon's fortress-tomb-thingie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) on the Astral plane.

I don't think we have reason to see anything happen there, if Xykon is eliminated he'll be regenerating at the site of his actual phylactery which is still around Redcloak's neck.

Ted The Bug
2013-08-27, 10:21 AM
I'm disappointed that there are only two books left.

This could go on for twice as long.

Don't forget, there's the possibility of at least one more prequel, and if the KS stories are all printed in one volume, they'll probably come with at least some bonus content (DOUBLE BONUS!!) to entice people who already did the Kickstarter to buy it as well.

So, that's something, at least.

littlebum2002
2013-08-27, 10:35 AM
Why would Kraagor's dungeon be the site of the final battle? Everyone knows the REAL final battle takes place at the bad guy's lair.

Silverionmox
2013-08-27, 10:59 AM
People, Roy has sworn to destroy Xykon, not to safeguard the gates. The gates are just a sidequest, because that's what Xykon happens to be doing these days. The gate business will be finished quite a while before the end of the story.

strijder20
2013-08-27, 11:03 AM
- Haley's secret (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html)

Haley is merely using a simple substitution code - I figured out she said this in this comic:

Elan, I'm in love with you.

Elan, I'm in love with you. Completely in love. Love, love, love, love!

My dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator.

I'm not really in the Thieves' Guild anymore.

I cheat at solitaire.

I have a tattoo you've never seen.

I kissed a girl once.

OK, OK, more than once!

Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-

Ron Miel
2013-08-27, 11:54 AM
Yes, we know. The secret I refer to is her incomplete last line, she's not exactly ... something. This, surely, will be an important reveal later in the comic.

M.A.D
2013-08-27, 12:06 PM
Frankly, I am more surprised that there are only two books left. Even without counting a possible prequel/side-story book, the amount of loose materials remaining is more than enough for three, and that's what I consider a reasonable pacing. Two books dedicating only for the main plot might not be enough, and one side-story book plus one normal is far too cramped.

Yes, we know. The secret I refer to is her incomplete last line, she's not exactly ... something. This, surely, will be an important reveal later in the comic.

Or it could just be a throwaway line. Something like "...not exactly what you would call a good person.." coz she was thinking herself not good enough for Elan at the time.

Copperdragon
2013-08-27, 12:08 PM
Frankly, I am more surprised that there are only two books left.

"Two Books" only refers to the main story. This is without side-material, prequels or other bonus stuff.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-27, 12:22 PM

She's already shared the secret with Elan:

She has trouble trusting other people (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0311.html) enough to open up to them emotionally (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0772.html). That's the big secret. She wanted to tell Elan she loved him, but was too terrified to do so. Combined with the trauma of losing the money from the Ancient Black Dragon's hoard, she developed aphasia. Without being forced by Nale to tell the truth to Elan, she would never have confessed. Even after she was willing to open up to Elan, she wasn't willing to be honest with Celia about why she couldn't return to Greysky City, which resulted in Grubwriggler using Roy's body to build a Bone Golem, and the Thieves' Guild hounding her for weeks. Only at the end of Book Four could she start to confide in Elan about her rivalry with Crystal, and he shared the tragic story of Therkla with her.

I wish I could say that Haley has gotten past her urge to lie to Elan to spare his feelings, but she hasn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html)

SaintRidley
2013-08-27, 02:23 PM
Or it could just be a throwaway line. Something like "...not exactly what you would call a good person.." coz she was thinking herself not good enough for Elan at the time.

Yeah, she was definitely more on the Chaotic Good-ish end then. Since getting together with Elan I think she would be more comfortable calling herself Chaotic Good.

ti'esar
2013-08-27, 03:22 PM

You know, while I don't think it's going to be a plot point, the context doesn't really support that.

:haley: Oh, no, it couldn't be THAT, could it? Even V doesn't know that one... No, Haley, this is important. Tell him.

That really doesn't sound like it would be followed up with "I may not be exactly what you would call a good person".

Tris
2013-08-27, 04:07 PM
People, Roy has sworn to destroy Xykon, not to safeguard the gates. The gates are just a sidequest, because that's what Xykon happens to be doing these days. The gate business will be finished quite a while before the end of the story.

If Xykon were to be defeated, I'm pretty sure Roy would try to defend the world against threats like the IFCC. Remember, the oath doesn't matter to him anymore.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-27, 04:27 PM
You know, while I don't think it's going to be a plot point, the context doesn't really support that.

That really doesn't sound like it would be followed up with "I may not be exactly what you would call a good person".

Much as I loathe the usual half-celestial theory, I have to admit that your statement here makes a very good point. "Even V doesn't know that one" doesn't fit with the "good person" theory at all. Still, "that one" doesn't sound like a heritage matter, either, but a singular event that took place at some time during her life.

Interesting, but probably never to be resolved.

davidbofinger
2013-08-27, 06:53 PM

We've spent eighteen pages and counting on the last twenty minutes.

Obscure Blade
2013-08-27, 08:03 PM
Serini did indeed stock Kraagor's Gate with "the world's nastiest monsters", but unless those are Epic beasties, they'll be little more than a speedbump to Team Evil.A thought that just occurred to me; given that it was supposed to reflect Kraagor's belief in physical might, perhaps the whole Tomb is in an anti-magic field of some kind. That would put a real speedbump in the way of Team Evil. A normal goblin and an animated skeleton with no spells will find those monsters rather more challenging than a high level cleric and an Epic sorcerer-lich.

TRH
2013-08-27, 08:46 PM
A thought that just occurred to me; given that it was supposed to reflect Kraagor's belief in physical might, perhaps the whole Tomb is in an anti-magic field of some kind. That would put a real speedbump in the way of Team Evil. A normal goblin and an animated skeleton with no spells will find those monsters rather more challenging than a high level cleric and an Epic sorcerer-lich.

The MITD is still there as a meatshield, and I'm pretty sure Xykon can defeat an anti-magic field with Superb Dispelling. Besides, where's Serini going to have found a caster for this? Oh, and since I just took a look at the SRD, which says you can't make an anti-magic field permanent.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm

SaintRidley
2013-08-27, 10:08 PM
The MITD is still there as a meatshield, and I'm pretty sure Xykon can defeat an anti-magic field with Superb Dispelling. Besides, where's Serini going to have found a caster for this? Oh, and since I just took a look at the SRD, which says you can't make an anti-magic field permanent.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm

You could make a whole bunch of automatically resetting anti-magic field traps that cast the spell when they see a creature enter the area.

I feel kind of dirty after coming up with that.

Obscure Blade
2013-08-27, 11:32 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htmIf the Giant thinks it necessary for the story there's no reason he can't make it a special case. It might even not be a spell, but a natural permanent anti-magic zone of some kind. Certainly back when I played it wasn't unusual to encounter things in dungeons that weren't duplicable by the players. I think I vaguely recall permanent anti-magic zones in some of the old modules.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-08-28, 11:28 AM
Most definitely in Forgotten Realms. Half the schemes I've seen for getting rid of Elminster include the phrase 'lure him into the AM field'.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-28, 11:29 AM
Most definitely in Forgotten Realms. Half the schemes I've seen for getting rid of Elminster include the phrase 'lure him into the AM field'.

But couldn't he just pull out the handgun he "borrowed" from Ed Greenwood and use it to defend himself? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to imply Ed Greenwood leaves loaded firearms around his house, where a dimension hopping Wizard could quietly slip them under his robes. Not at all.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-08-28, 11:33 AM
Sorry, I read your post and immediately flashed to the last few updates for Challenges of Zona.

And I honestly have no idea what Ed would or wouldn't have around his house. He's boasted about having a 'sword stand' instead of an 'umbrella stand', after all.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-28, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I read your post and immediately flashed to the last few updates for Challenges of Zona.

And I honestly have no idea what Ed would or wouldn't have around his house. He's boasted about having a 'sword stand' instead of an 'umbrella stand', after all.

Sorry, I've never really read that webcomic. :smallredface: It's just that I remember all the columns Ed wrote for "Dragon Magazine" where Elminster and Mordenkainen would drop by Ed's house and swap spells (with Dalamar the Dark sometimes dropping by before the events of "Dragons of Summer Flame").

Speaking of archmages using firearms, no one can say that Murlynd didn't pay for his sixshooters at the Boot Hill general store fair and square, pardner!

Forikroder
2013-08-28, 01:00 PM
The Giant has been tying up a lot of loose ends lately, and I'm a little confused by this. Why? Because it feels like we're almost at the final battle. The Linear Guild is finished, the other secondary villains are either unreachable (IFCC) or trying to help (Team Tarquin), and the clock is ticking since Team Evil has already reached the final dungeon. Depending on the strength of its defenses, this means that Redcloak and Xykon are just a few hours, days, or (at most) weeks away from getting access to the Gate and beginning the Ritual. Thus, it seems that there cannot be more than just a few weeks of in-universe time left before the final confrontation.

Of course, the Order could refuse Tarquin's help and try to reach the Dwarven Lands by mundane means, taking a whole book to arrive there and going through a bunch of unrelated adventures along the way... but that doesn't sound like something the Giant would do, since it would mean going on for hundreds of strips without advancing the main plot at all. Also, I don't see how they could possibly arrive in time to stop Xykon in this manner.

In order to stop Xykon, the Order must get to Kraagor's Tomb very quickly (by whatever means), which should mean that the final battle is just around the corner...

So, basically, I feel that all the pieces are in place for the final confrontation to begin almost immediately (i.e. within the next 50 strips, at the start of the next book) and I'm really curious to see what will go wrong to delay it.

the problem is you think TE is the primary villains and the IFCC is a secondary villain

Werbaer
2013-08-28, 01:10 PM
I don't think we have reason to see anything happen there, if Xykon is eliminated he'll be regenerating at the site of his actual phylactery which is still around Redcloak's neck.
Not quite (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0828.html). Readcloak wears his backup holy symbol. The phylactery looks a bit different (round), but we can assume that he carries it with him.

Forikroder
2013-08-28, 01:26 PM
Not quite (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0828.html). Readcloak wears his backup holy symbol. The phylactery looks a bit different (round), but we can assume that he carries it with him.

assuming its not in a jar with some special bone eating acid