PDA

View Full Version : You lost me at orly.

Nakath
2006-12-19, 09:07 AM
That's really it. Kinda sad - you could have done the joke without pandering to the idiot cliche.

pclips
2006-12-19, 09:14 AM
There are going to be jokes of all kinds, from deep and subtle to plain stupid. If you can't handle a throwaway gag or two, you were never going to be a fan. Bye. :smallsigh:

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-19, 09:32 AM
That's really it. Kinda sad - you could have done the joke without pandering to the idiot cliche.
So...tempting...must...resist...not worth trying to hotlink on these forums...

Ikkitosen
2006-12-19, 09:34 AM

I must be an idiot then - I laughed :smallwink:

Haarculaneaum
2006-12-19, 09:36 AM
Perzactly. This is satirific.
Haar

WampaX
2006-12-19, 10:07 AM
Posted from the Ep9 thread:

If you are having trouble wrapping your brain around the reasoning for including slightly outdated popular culture references in AN obviously imported and then localized SRPG, you are just gonna have a hard time enjoying this comic.

Its all part of the world. It really does make sense if you know where its coming from. If you didn't get most of the humor in the Final Fantasy III OotS strip, then you probably won't have as much fun reading Erfworld.

I mean, I just realized that even the art style choice (why the lines are so thick and the backgrounds so detailed) is VG based. Thick-lined sprites moving around in a pre-rendered world. Brilliant.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-12-19, 10:22 AM
I must be an idiot then - I laughed :smallwink:

We need badges...

ObadiahtheSlim
2006-12-19, 12:24 PM
I'm waiting of the Yariles now.

Ikkitosen
2006-12-19, 12:26 PM
Et voila!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/Badge-1.jpg

Anyone that knows how to get my sig to be the quote and the badge next to each other instead of top and bottom please let me know!

Grogah
2006-12-19, 12:34 PM
I guess I'm an "idiot" too, as I think the satire is brilliant.

I just hope we don't find out there are Buttsecks owls...

ampcptlogic
2006-12-19, 12:37 PM
I find the Orlys amusing, though I'm not sure I get the reference. It looks to me like AIMspeak for Oh Really? Also, they remind me of the Seagulls in Finding Nemo.

Grogah
2006-12-19, 12:41 PM
I find the Orlys amusing, though I'm not sure I get the reference. It looks to me like AIMspeak for Oh Really? Also, they remind me of the Seagulls in Finding Nemo.

O RLY? Is a bizarre internet meme involving a owl (just like the one pictured) with the "words" "O RLY?" printed below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORLY

ampcptlogic
2006-12-19, 12:43 PM
Ah. That makes sense. I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to memes.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-19, 12:45 PM
Et voila!

Anyone that knows how to get my sig to be the quote and the badge next to each other instead of top and bottom please let me know!
Totally ganking that badge. Thanks!

And I don't think there's any way to put anything in-line with a quote block.

Ikkitosen
2006-12-19, 12:46 PM
Totally ganking that badge. Thanks!

That's the idea :smallbiggrin:

Erfworld lovers unite!!

Grogah
2006-12-19, 12:50 PM
Having trouble with the badge... how does one add it?

Edit: NM :)

Khantalas
2006-12-19, 12:51 PM
See second spoiler in sig for details.

Ikkitosen
2006-12-19, 12:59 PM
Hmmm...the image was fine for a while but seems to not be appearing any more. Any ideas anyone? It's hosted at

Edit: Working again!

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-12-19, 07:23 PM
These badges are great. :smallwink:

faerwain
2006-12-19, 07:23 PM
O RLY? Is a bizarre internet meme involving a owl (just like the one pictured) with the "words" "O RLY?" printed below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORLY

And that's the reason why there are discussion threads...thanks for explanation, Grogah.

And yes, I didn't get the FF references in OotS either...seem to be more media-historical ignorant than I thought :smallfrown:

Jacklu
2006-12-19, 09:49 PM
I guess I'm an Erfworld Idiot too. :wink:

fwiffo
2006-12-19, 10:01 PM
Every time I read about that word (or is it expression), I feel several brain cells crying out and committing suicide. That has got to be the stupidest Internet meme I've ever run across, and I've been online in pre-Kibology days.

Wallyz
2006-12-19, 10:27 PM
Lovin' it. More than Mickey d's

TimeWizard
2006-12-19, 10:39 PM
Erfworld: It's more then a feeling [/boston]

Rex Idiotarum
2006-12-19, 10:41 PM
Stealing one for Namesake.

ilovefire
2006-12-19, 10:52 PM
So, are Erfworld Idiots like American Idiots, only from Erfworld?

I'm going to have to make a parody of American Idiot now.

Sahegian
2006-12-20, 11:31 AM
I've seen that owl pic many times, but I didn't put it together in the comic. I thought it was like griffons being gwiffons, so an owly was an orly ...

I'm so ashamed :(

And for a dumb question what game are they mocking with the moves? I must just be completely missing a lot of things in these comics.

Wallyz
2006-12-20, 11:54 AM
I think it is Warlords (http://www.heeter.net/warlords/), for a number of reasons:
The Chartacters are built like Characters from WL3. (Big heads, skinny bodies)
They have stacks of eight units.
Gwiffon move and bat move are identical to Griffon and bat move in WL2
Tactical mistakes (Questing and neglecting defense rip out economic base)

Thes Hunter
2006-12-20, 04:52 PM
You know... though I was aware of the image, I always thought it was linked to the O'Reilly books for some reason. Silly me, Java must have eaten my brain.:smallredface:

Moechi_Vill
2006-12-21, 12:39 AM

O RLY? (Actually I find it an excellent way to annoy anyone in a lightweight way when it's more or less appropriate. Hasn't failed me yet.)

noweezernoworld
2006-12-21, 04:37 PM
Are you kidding? That one panel just made Erfworld my new favorite webcomic.

EddieBird
2006-12-21, 05:12 PM
I liked it.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-21, 05:17 PM
I really don't see the problem with that.

Yellow
2006-12-21, 05:42 PM
QUITE RIGHT, GOOD SIR. Like yourself, I am far too intelligent and sophisticated for such lowbrow humor! lol internet intellectuals

JosephSmidgens
2006-12-22, 12:19 AM
I'd like to see some nedems, firey cats from hell.

DarkLightDragon
2006-12-22, 12:22 AM
I laughed at the ORLY :smallbiggrin:

Ikkitosen
2006-12-22, 07:40 AM
I laughed at the ORLY :smallbiggrin:

Then you need a badge:

After all, such humour clearly is aimed at us "idiots" :smallwink:

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 08:01 AM
I admit to not laughing at the Orly. The only chuckle I have uttered so far was seeing the cloth golems. I do admit, that was genius, sadly it might be too little too late for me.

One thing I think the Giant has done to great effect (from what I have seen, at any rate) is staying out of the discussion threads of his own comic. It's my opinion (and I could be wrong) that he wants to avoid situations like this:

There are going to be jokes of all kinds, from deep and subtle to plain stupid. If you can't handle a throwaway gag or two, you were never going to be a fan. Bye.

I know I wouldn't want to read anything negative over something I was pouring my heart and soul into, but that would make me an extremely biased poster. Throwaway gags are one thing, but throwaway fans are another. These, of course, are merely my opinions.

ZekeArgo
2006-12-22, 08:30 AM
I know I wouldn't want to read anything negative over something I was pouring my heart and soul into, but that would make me an extremely biased poster. Throwaway gags are one thing, but throwaway fans are another. These, of course, are merely my opinions.

Hmm, can you throw something away that you don't possess in the first place? Since the people complaining don't "get" Erfworld as it is what would you like the authors to do? Change their vision to suit a fraction of its audience?

I think he was justified in what was said: This is the comic as it is, like it or not.

Khantalas
2006-12-22, 08:43 AM
Yes, throwaway fans are a bad thing. But "fans" is the key word here. Rob and Jamie have an idea of what they want to do, a great idea at that, and they shouldn't change what 4 out of 5 people like for the 1 out of 5. If someone states that they won't read what you present them, why should you change what you have planned for the future because of them?

Oh, I also own a badge.

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 08:45 AM
I don't disagree that it was justified. The person may or may not have eventually become a fan. Some valid points have been made pertaining to the OOTS fans, indicating that perhaps not all of us would be as die hard as we are, had we been around from the beginning, instead of joining around episode 30 (as I did).

That being said, I feel that by the author making comments, he has solidified that the poster in question will never become a fan, regardless of the odds against it. He has now dismissed him. Nobody likes being dismissed.

This is part of why I feel that having the authors of the comic post in their own forums can be a dangerous prospect. Hey, it's their comic, and it's a free world (so to speak). I admit, I'd love to see the Giant (I wonder if any of his RL friends ever call him that?) posting more often so we could chat, get to know him, pick his brain, etc. Maintaining some distance is far, far safer though.

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 08:53 AM
Rob and Jamie have an idea of what they want to do, a great idea at that, and they shouldn't change what 4 out of 5 people like for the 1 out of 5.

I agree with you, on one aspect. It wouldn't matter if 99 out of 100 people hated it, if they love what they are doing, they should certainly stick to it, and maintain the course because of their passion for it, and not care what others think. However, they do care, as some of the posts have shown on these boards.

Your statistics are flawed. According to the 'first impressions' post, 608 votes were cast in favour, and 308 were cast against. That ration is less than 2:1 in favour of the comic, which is a far cry from the 4:1 ratio you stated above. That's a significant number of people who seem to dislike the comic.

Khantalas
2006-12-22, 08:57 AM
The statistics was based not on that, but those who will read it regularly and those who won't read it at all.

But yes, it is flawed. It is more 10 out of 11 compared to 1 out of 11. Thank you for pointing that out.

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 09:02 AM
*scratches head* er, ok.

Ikkitosen
2006-12-22, 09:05 AM
Your statistics are flawed. According to the 'first impressions' post, 608 votes were cast in favour, and 308 were cast against. That ration is less than 2:1 in favour of the comic, which is a far cry from the 4:1 ratio you stated above. That's a significant number of people who seem to dislike the comic.

Were I Rob or Jamie, I'd be happy with picking up 2/3 of OoTS forum-goers as fans within 10 pages of releasing a new comic.

I agree that distancing oneself from comment on your own work has its advantages but I for one am glad to see Jamie and Rob both happy to chat about their work. I am gratified that I can ask questions and make discussion that warrant a response from the guys that put the time and effort in to make something I enjoy so much. Indeed Rich used to chat about stuff but that became more difficult as his fanbase grew - 1% crazy fans doesn't matter when you have a few, moreso when you have lots. I hope to get some good chattin' done before Erfworld rates enough crazies to make the authors go underground...

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 09:10 AM
To play devil's advocate, I don't know if we can safely say they have 2/3 of the forum attendees as fans. Firstly, you could vote numerous times on that survey (the total percentage is something like 8 million, 352 thousand percent, or something around there ;) ).

Secondly, I suspect more fans would be inclined to post than people who dislike the comic. Then again, people tend to complain more loudly than profess good fortune, so who knows? For their sake, I hope the numbers are that high!

ZekeArgo
2006-12-22, 09:10 AM

A nit here: a significant number people *who read the boards and voted* dislike the comic.

Don't count the vocal minority as the actual majority. We have no idea how many individual hits Erfworld gets, or the opinions of people who don't frequent the boards.

AngryGreek
2006-12-22, 09:23 AM
And therein lies the rub.

We don't know if the majority of non posters like or dislike the comic. We will never have a way of knowing, unless my Brain-inspired (not my brain, but Pinky's friend Brain) plan of world domination through brain implants comes to fruition. That way, they will uplink to all computers through bluetooth technology and let me know what everyone thinks at any moment regarding any webcomic. I promise to post accurate results.

fifthfiend
2006-12-22, 10:47 AM
I can't believe this is actually somehow an argument. Artists are not obligated to cater to all possible points of view, least of all those points of view that continually demand that artists cater to them.

There is absolutely nothing questionable about telling people you don't need as fans that publicly proclaim their refusal to be your fan.

Drascin
2006-12-22, 11:15 AM
To be honest, this joke did catch me completely of guard. When I saw the panel, I was all "...WTF O_o? That's a non sequitor...", then I remembered the mention of "orlies" before, and then I got it: the infamous ORLY? owl was used as a war beast in Erfworld. Pretty funny too, especially with this last strip, with the "ORLY?" "YARLY!" attack :smallbiggrin:. I know that would kill or incapacitate me at least ;).

So, I like Erfworld. I't not overwhelmingly funny, but it's surreal enough to keep me interested, and is hinting to a neat bit of a storyline. Plus any world where ancient relics of power look like my sister's joke hammer is a place I like :P. So, Ikkitosen, hand over another of those badges!

Siberys
2006-12-22, 01:54 PM
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I loved the Erfworld badges, so I made one for each of the other webcomics I read; OotS and Goblins

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Siberys/Badge-2-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Siberys/Badge-3.jpg

Ikkitosen
2006-12-22, 06:05 PM
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I loved the Erfworld badges, so I made one for each of the other webcomics I read; OotS and Goblins

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Siberys/Badge-2-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Siberys/Badge-3.jpg

I must call the copyright police immediately! Nah, s'ok really :smallsmile:

Grey Watcher
2006-12-22, 10:10 PM
I must be a real idiot. I didn't even get it....

Summer
2006-12-22, 11:08 PM
Hmmm. Still waiting to laugh at this. I find the premise unengaging, the artwork annoying, and the jokes simply absent.

Can't please everyone.

Pegasos989
2006-12-23, 02:27 PM
Hmmm. Still waiting to laugh at this. I find the premise unengaging, the artwork annoying, and the jokes simply absent.

Can't please everyone.

Then why even comment on it? Seriously, wtf?

I know artists should take critique to improve, but if you dislike everything in the comic and wouldn't propably like it even if some of it was changed, why do you read it and more importantly, why do you just post to say "I don't like it."?

I was "Okay, deeply amusing comic..." type of fan before, after that comment from author "There are going to be jokes of all kinds, from deep and subtle to plain stupid. If you can't handle a throwaway gag or two, you were never going to be a fan. Bye. :smallsigh:", I am actually a fan of the author too.

Moechi_Vill
2006-12-24, 04:04 AM
I prefer forums where criticism is voiced in moderate amounts, not suppressed.

He was only making a one-man status report.

MolotovH
2006-12-25, 02:19 AM
I'm weighing in to say that I found Erfworld to be an oddly amusing, but easily confusing, comic at first. The "ORLY?" joke was the first time the comic actually made me laugh out loud. After "dwagons," and "gwiffons," and "gobwins," I remember asking myself what the heck the author was referencing as an "orly." I guess the obvious substitution really should have been "owly," but it eluded me for some reason.

Even when I saw the "ORLY?" frame, the connection wasn't obvious on a conscious level... but somewhere in the cultural sub-conscious, a bright light went on and told me that this was really funny. I think what makes it work was that it hits on two kinds of humor at once: the obvious pop-culture reference, and the more subtle word-play of the counter-substitution, which was the result of several pages of build-up.

It's easy to understand why those who only got the pop-culture reference would find it to be a childish joke, but when you analyze the comedy and see the dual-nature of the joke... I think Rob hit on something really good with this joke. :thog:

Kaerou
2006-12-25, 07:18 AM
The Orlies are the first thing i laughed at in the comic. I loved it.

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 07:29 AM
The Orlies are the first thing i laughed at in the comic. I loved it.

Really? The first thing I laughed at was the Elvie.The second was Manpower the Temporary. Then Bogroll and the umbrella. Then Arkenhammer turning nuts into pigeons. Then when Stanley started talking about how the casters scam people with the support plan. Then the wizard hat. And then the orlies.

Neek
2006-12-25, 02:12 PM
I enjoy the comic. There's something uniquely absurd about it. I don't get it, sure, but because I don't, I laugh; and the jokes that I do get, like the Orlys, and cutsey world play on the names (Gobwins, gwiffins)--these make me giggle, should I be permitted to giggle. It's a different sort of humor, and I grant that not everyone has that same sense as I do. (Hence why I love those badges, thanks Ikkitosen, btw).

This opening post irks me in a way that I can't explain. It's not a statement of, "I don't like the comic because it plays on a lame internet meme," but it does so so melodramatically; slamming the door on the way out doesn't make a statement any louder, just annoys people with it.

silentknight
2006-12-27, 07:29 PM
I didn't understand the orly thing until reading through this thread, but I didn't mind because:
A) I figured it would reveal itself eventually (thanks forum!)
B) I like the rest of the comic, so it didn't matter.

Read on Fans! Critique away...er...critics! Erfworld shall endure! Fowever!

Hushdawg
2006-12-28, 03:10 PM
I'm actually upset at myself that the first post is going to be slightly negative.

I've loved OOTS ever since I was introduced to it by a gaming buddy at strip #12.

Loved it.

I've bought all three books and introduced as many people as I could to the strip.

Erfworld on the other hand reminds me of a mediocre restraunt.
Not sure I want to go back, definitely won't reccomend it.

Why?

I just don't get it.
Maybe it's my age, maybe the writing is too inclusive, maybe if I'd spent more time playing Final Fantasy and less time playing D&D with dice I'd get it.

But the "ORLY" thing really ruined any chances of my taking the strip seriously.

I personally hate/loath/despise the heavy influx of internet abbreviations into the rest of the world.

I wholly understand the need for shortening phrases into:
OMG
WTF?
and extetera when using TXT-messaging on wireless phones or even on IMs.
I do *NOT* however like the use of "R" "U" and numbers to substitute entire words outside of those contexts.

Like I said, maybe it's my age.

I played D&D since the late 1980s and my first videogame RPG was Dragon Warrior on 8-bit NES.
I tried RPGs on game systems and such since then but really didn't get into them. I felt that I was missing a lot of what I enjoyed out of D&D.

So, do I hate Erfworld? NO... I just figure that Erfworld, like the "American Pie" movies are made for an audience that does not include me.

Sorry to the creators, if you were trying to produce a webcomic that anyone and everyone can enjoy then you have failed.
However, if your intention was to create a webcomic for a specific group of people which includes a heavy selection of in-jokes and obscure reference gags then I believe you have succeeded.

That's my opinion and hopefully in the future I'll have more constructive comments to make. :)

Om
2006-12-28, 03:24 PM
I hate the O RLY meme. I'll stand up now and say it. Like the above poster when it comes to internet fads like that then I am an elitist through and through. I have absolutely no time for OMGs or the like.

When we first saw the Orlies I was hoping that it was a one off gag; something never to be repeated. Thankfully I was wrong. This seemingly passing reference to an internet fad has, over three or so strips, been a highly entertaining running gag that culminated in the frankly hilarious "BBQ" strip today. Despite my burning hatred of O RLY I still enjoyed the reference.

Now that is, to my mind, impressive.

silentknight
2006-12-28, 07:28 PM
If you view the comic as maybe a play-by-post world, I'm sure some of you have experience with players that use "internet abbreviations" constantly even if the (hopefully) majority spell everything out properly. So, the annoying orlies represent those players who insist on the annoying habit of shortening everything down to a few letters.

Besides, I think it's great that the comic is poking fun at the internet culture like that!

Hushdawg
2006-12-28, 11:01 PM
no no... you misunderstand me. The "ORLY" by itself isn't why I dislike/don't get the comic. it's just the final nail for me in the proverbial coffin.

Actually I have never enjoyed the "play-by-post" scenarios. I've yet to be involved in one that was engaging enough to keep me interested for more than a week.

Aside from that I just don't get the comedy that Erfworld tries to present.
I'm sure that it is absolutely hilarious to the right audience, but that audience doesn't include me.

I don't understand why it is funny and most of the time I'm looking at the strip going: "Um.. Okay...?"
Admittedly, if I weren't friends with people who are absolute fanatics over Final Fantasy there are some jokes in OOTS recently that I wouldn't have gotten (and I'm certain that there are references I missed).

I do, however, think that Erfworld has it's place. This is evident by the large number of people whom are posting to its defense.

I'm just saying that I don't get it... I'll stick to my Monty Python and Red Skelton.... and, of course, my tabletop D&D.

Mitheria
2006-12-31, 02:20 AM
Hey can I have a badge too? Cause I thought it was funny.

Heh...

I'M IN UR THREAD STEALIN UR BADGES!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist (pclips response in the other ORLY thread prompted that one :P)

landruajm
2006-12-31, 10:55 AM
I can't believe this is actually somehow an argument. Artists are not obligated to cater to all possible points of view, least of all those points of view that continually demand that artists cater to them.

There is absolutely nothing questionable about telling people you don't need as fans that publicly proclaim their refusal to be your fan.

What fifthfiend said. These forums offer an opportunity that most media don't; a chance to interact with the artist. While that doesn't demand an unchanging litany of undying expressions of support, something as broad as "I don't like it" doesn't leave the artist much to work with. If that's all you have to offer, the overwhelming chance is that you're not going to be a consumer of the artist's output anyway, huh? The artist may as well offer you a buh-bye that's just as nice-spirited as your initial offering.

It's worth remembering that one's own aesthete doesn't make a thing good or bad. There's a lot of stuff I don't like that's apparently culturally worthwhile (considering the popularity of a lot of stuff I don't like). Do I go pee on Nureyev's grave? Not so much. I don't pray at Roddenberry's, either.

If your criticism is constructive, that's one thing. "I don't get" a joke that is apparent to a pretty large segment of the target (and really, given the size of this community, anything over about 20 percent is probably significant enough to sustain the work) is a long way from constructive. "I don't like" the joke is something else, but if you just want to take a big dump all over someone else's work, why bother? Go blog. That strikes me as a better outlet for general lashing-out.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-04, 07:29 AM
Hey can I have a badge too? Cause I thought it was funny.

Heh...

Sorry, I couldn't resist (pclips response in the other ORLY thread prompted that one :P)

Badges for all! Until they become as annoying as ORLY? to all the haterz :smallamused:

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-05, 12:11 AM
I really really don't like that memes are leaking into this somewhat sane corner of the internet. I like erfworld just fine, but I don't like what it is seemingly bringing with it.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-05, 11:58 AM
I will admit that I had no comprehension of Orly until I read this post, and I did not get Rich's Final Fantasy strip references either. As a person who plays D&D but doesn't play video games, I realize that some pop culture references will sail over my head.

(I'm used to that, though. My hair has a perpetually windblown look from all the traffic sailing above it.)

On the other hand, I will admit that I am enjoying Erfwold for its supreme weirdness... creepy marshmallow peep Gwiffons, croakomancers, IMs that appear in holy books, pigeons created by magical artifacts used for petty purposes.

In other words, I am reading this strip (and the forum to get the referents I'm missing afterwards.) I am reading it despite the fact that it has in jokes that I will not get. The art is amusing, and the storyline strange, and I'm finding the combination interesting enough to continue reading for a while.

I am also pleased to see the artist and author come in from time to time to explain things, and hope that they do not leave this forum anytime soon. Art is what it is. I publish fantasy stories, and know that no art appeals to all readers. Indeed, sometimes the best art has three quarters of its potential audience scratching their heads while the other quarter go, "Oh man, that's brilliant!"

If you try to please everyone, you will lose the uniqueness of your voice. My advice: don't try to appeal to the most common denominator. Instead, follow your muse to all the weird places it leads you. I'll follow along, if only for the bizarre travelogue of the Magic Kingdom.

Thanks Jamie and Rob!

Hilary Moon Murphy

Tormsskull
2007-01-05, 03:17 PM
I must be a real idiot. I didn't even get it....

When I first read it I thought I was back on the World of Warcraft forums for a moment.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-08, 10:23 PM
7|-|3 |_4c|< 0|= |235p3c7 61\/3/\/ 2 73|-| 1337-h4><><0|2
C0/\/\/\/\|_|/\/17`/ |)33p|_`/ 54|)|)3/\/5 /\/\3|-|. 1 |-|0p3 7|-|47
0/\/3 |)4`/ 0|_||2 |)14|_3c7 \/\/1|_|_ |33 4cc3p73|) /\/37-\/\/1|)3.

Maurog
2007-01-09, 04:54 AM
In case anyone is wondering about the previous post, the solution is x=5/13

Xaspian
2007-01-09, 05:03 AM
The lack of respect given to the leet-haxxor community deeply saddens me. I hope that one day our dialect will be accepted net-wide?

[my translation]

Is that right?

I respect it. Sometimes. I just choose not to use your 'dialect'.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-09, 11:21 AM
You know, this has bugged me for a while, but now I have to point it out. ORLY, originally, had nothing to do with leet- or chat-speak. It (as well as related words like SRSLY) originated on (I believe) www.somethingawful.com, and were subsequently adopted into chatspeak (a distinct entity from leetspeak) and became a famous image macro on 4chan, which is where many of the related pictures originate.

On another note, I'd like to point out that leetspeak no longer has anything to do with the hacker community (let alone respectable programmers), who abandoned it to the First Person Shooter Players and ignorant script kiddies long ago.

Mr Wizard
2007-01-09, 03:02 PM

:smallredface: This is actually flawed. Only 501 people voted in that poll. The first 8 options could be voted in any combination. For instance, a person could choose "I love the Humor" and "I love the Artwork", but also choose "I dislike the childspeak." Only the last three options were the only clear "I love it/I am neutral/I hate it" options, and the instruction in The Giant's post specifically said to choose only one of these responces. If you compare the "regular readers" to the "will not read it at all" option, you get 253 to 28, roughly 9 to 1. Those that chose the "I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late" I consider neutral/indifferent to Erfworld.

I may be wrong about the 9 to 1, since I did this in my head and I am dopey from a cold.:smallfrown:

EDIT: And here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29088) is a link to the first impressions thread.

AmoDman
2007-01-21, 08:05 PM
I was wasting some time browsing and this title caught my eye. It made me chuckle. I think that Erfworld comic was the last one I read. I just shook my head and vowed not to give it another hit.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-22, 03:23 AM
I was wasting some time browsing and this title caught my eye. It made me chuckle. I think that Erfworld comic was the last one I read. I just shook my head and vowed not to give it another hit.

No badge for you then. Bad Amodman! :smallwink:

dragongirl13
2007-01-30, 12:15 AM
I only find the Orlies amusing because they speak in acronyms. I translated

OMGWTFBBQ!

into

OHMYGODWHATTHE*boop*BARBECUE!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Simon
2007-02-05, 10:34 AM

Given that this discussion is mainly about annoying internet memes, shouldn't that be ALL YOUR BADGE ARE BELONG TO US?

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-05, 11:11 AM
I only find the Orlies amusing because they speak in acronyms. I translated

OMGWTFBBQ!

into

OHMYGODWHATTHE*boop*BARBECUE!!!!!!!!!!

One: That's not an acronym. It's an initialisation.

Two: Yes, we all know this already. We use the Internet.

Silverlocke980
2007-02-05, 12:08 PM
Actually, I thought the ORLYS were the funniest thing in the comics. "OMGWTFBBQ!" was also the best deathcry I've heard, ever.

Go, Elvis, go!

bdh5533
2007-02-05, 12:13 PM
i love these references! keep em up!

also eating marbits and gwiffons for breakfast... genious :D

YA RLY

orilies lol

OMGWTFBBQ lol

keep it coming i love this comic.

Pyrian
2007-02-06, 06:44 PM
One: That's not an acronym. It's an initialisation.

You're wrong on both counts, here. Acronym is a wide enough term to encompass OMGWTFBBQ; it is not limited by whatever misconception it is you're referencing.

Second, OMGWTFBBQ is not an initialisation. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt for a moment and point out that the letters BBQ are not initials - I assume that's what you meant by initialisation. However, the problem with your claim is worse than that: initialisation doesn't mean that at all! It's a reference to the first step of formatting, and has nothing to do with the first letters of words, despite the fact that those are "initials".

Aimbot
2007-02-06, 08:18 PM
I, for one, welcome our new owl overlords.

taigen
2007-02-06, 08:51 PM
Hm.. a few things here... those of you who hate ORLYs I believe actually got the point... but quite before that point was made more relevant.

Prince Ansom leads what Parson refers to as 'unspeakable'.. his army is made up of cute and/or annoying units.The fact that you were annoyed/offended/whatever is probably a good sign. This is after-all the army we are supposed to be rooting against.

That said, I think something on Youtube that I read comment-wise is rather relevant in this. A term has sprung up there for a type of commenter (or probaby came from somewhere else as is the nature of the internet) called a 'hater'. Its the sort of commenter who loves nothing more then to post just how much they don't like something.. and yet seem to come back over and over again to the same author/artist/whatever and well.. hate all the rest of their works too. People there advise new artists to pretty much either ignore it or take it as a complement, since well... anytime someone takes the effort to post about your work... you have at least made an immpression. Its probably the ones who you never see on the forum who should offend you as they didn't even care enough about your work to say anything.

One of the things I enjoy about Erfworld are its somewhat obscure humor references. I have looked into most of the humor I didn't get... and have enjoyed them.. includeing the ORLYs and especially the Jonathan Coulton songs which I can't get enough of now. Oh yeah the comic is kinda funny too *grins*

That said... I am afriad my time here is comeing to an end.. Its just that the internet term 'the' is becomeing way to overused... and ceased being funny a long time ago. I am afriad to say I have decided to boycot any use of this cliche term in any literary work. Sorry has been a fun time.

-Taigen

Sage in the Playground
2007-02-06, 09:12 PM
Hm.. a few things here... those of you who hate ORLYs I believe actually got the point... but quite before that point was made more relevant.

Prince Ansom leads what Parson refers to as 'unspeakable'.. his army is made up of cute and/or annoying units.The fact that you were annoyed/offended/whatever is probably a good sign. This is after-all the army we are supposed to be rooting against.

That said, I think something on Youtube that I read comment-wise is rather relevant in this. A term has sprung up there for a type of commenter (or probaby came from somewhere else as is the nature of the internet) called a 'hater'. Its the sort of commenter who loves nothing more then to post just how much they don't like something.. and yet seem to come back over and over again to the same author/artist/whatever and well.. hate all the rest of their works too. People there advise new artists to pretty much either ignore it or take it as a complement, since well... anytime someone takes the effort to post about your work... you have at least made an immpression. Its probably the ones who you never see on the forum who should offend you as they didn't even care enough about your work to say anything.

One of the things I enjoy about Erfworld are its somewhat obscure humor references. I have looked into most of the humor I didn't get... and have enjoyed them.. includeing the ORLYs and especially the Jonathan Coulton songs which I can't get enough of now. Oh yeah the comic is kinda funny too *grins*

That said... I am afriad my time here is comeing to an end.. Its just that the internet term 'the' is becomeing way to overused... and ceased being funny a long time ago. I am afriad to say I have decided to boycot any use of this cliche term in any literary work. Sorry has been a fun time.

-Taigen

I would nominate you for "Hero of the Internet" if such a contest existed out of my imagination. Three cheers for you!

chionophile
2007-02-06, 09:22 PM
Yeah, good post, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with you on who we're supposed to be rooting for. Just because Wanda is likable and sympathetic, Stanley is funny in a "ha, look at the idiot in charge" sort of way and Parson is the semi-likable protagonist, I'm still more inclined to think that Ansom and Jillian are the people who ought to win this. Having Parson present on Stanley's side creates a challenge for Ansom to overcome, probably by recruiting Parson to his side later on.

Keep in mind, we still don't know exactly why these two sides are fighting. It may have something to do with Stanley's quest for the Arkentools, which could be detrimental to the rest of the world or something, but that's just a guess. He might murder babies in their sleep. Probably not, but you get the picture.

Oh, and one more thing, you don't know that Parson was referring to Ansom and Co. when he said "vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable". The other option was "noble and decent". Seems to me that Stanley's not really the noble or decent type.

Corolinth
2007-02-06, 09:29 PM
I thought the orlies were stupid, but the way I understood the gag was to rip on the rejects who use l33t to type. I believe the word I'm looking for is "caricature."

mixmastermind
2007-02-06, 10:02 PM
Of course, this whole thing makes sense if one goes by the theory that this is a game Parson made. He seems like an internet freak that would enjoy owls that spout memes.

Darth Paradox
2007-02-08, 03:30 PM
Of course, this whole thing makes sense if one goes by the theory that this is a game Parson made. He seems like an internet freak that would enjoy owls that spout memes.

Actually, I don't think he made the game, merely one very similar. And, as such, I'm really looking forward to a "what the boop?" reaction when he finally encounters the Orlies.