PDA

View Full Version : Need help coming up with an npc's title

(Un)Inspired
2013-08-27, 01:11 AM
Players in my Sea of Tranquility campaign keep out.

So one of my players in the campaign I'm running came up with a backstory I really liked. His character is a diviner and a detective working for the guards of his home city and was inspired to start practicing magic by his elder sister who was an mage of some renown.

The player told me that he wanted his sister to have gotten too deep into forbidden magics (he implied necromancy) and that he either left their city wanting nothing more to do with humanity or was actively banished because she was getting kinda loopy/evil.

I've expanded on upon this idea and I want to use it as part of the upcoming plot of the game.

I've decided that the sister got really into oneiromancy and that as a adolescent my player's character actually stumbled into her lab where she was acting distance and trace-like (oh god I can see forever, that dude at the end of resistance 2, my god it's full of stars style distance and trance-like).

Anyways long story short shes become a lich and hidden her phylactery in her younger brothers dreams. The party is about to meat another lich that she studied under but hes only going to cryptically refer to her by her title as a mage.

The party knows that way back when she practiced Oneirnomancy and I want her title to have to hint at that so that the pcs will have a hint that the're going to encounter her soon. Unfortunately as soon as this backstory coalesced in my mind the only title I could think of for her was The Radical Dreamer.

I'm stuck on it and I'm unwilling to be that derivative so I need your help coming up with a new title for her.

If it helps, the characters actual name is Eden Lestrange (I came up with the first name, my player the last name).

Any and all ideas are appreciated. Tell me whatcha got

Kol Korran
2013-08-27, 03:39 AM
Hmmm... not sure exactly how to help, the description is a bit vague- any more info about her?

A few ideas though:
- The dream weaver
- The Dream walker
- The dream soul
- The one who hides in a dream.
Note: I suggest giving another name or description to "Dream" which may be understood by some other connection, perhaps it's meaning in a special culture, by specific professions, or a historical mythical meaning. Dream might mean:
- The other ether
- The walking night
- The never ending sea of many isles.
- The mind's play ground.
- The path before the next world (a belief of some culture)
and so on.

A bit more info about this Eden can help.

Freddrick
2013-08-27, 10:59 PM
I liked Dream Walker

I came up with a few:
Sleeping Visionary
the Hellenic One (based off ancient Oneirnomancy texts)
the Waking/Walking Nightmare depending on what she now sees in her dreams

Best of luck. Let us know what you Decide

-Freddrick

Mutazoia
2013-08-27, 11:26 PM
Allow me to offer this snippet from the Necronomicon:

"...Yidhra (http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/books/necro_proj/yidhra.html), the Dream-Witch, clouding the minds of her followers;
Dream-Witch, hiding her shape in illusion,
Dream-Witch, cloaking her shape in strange beauty.
Yidhra, the Shrouder, wreathing the faithless in shadow;
Shrouder, devouring the errant and hostile ones,
Shrouder, who hides men forever. . . ."

Dr. Yes
2013-08-28, 08:31 AM
The Witch of the Weave
The Lurker in Twilight
Strider upon the Gossamer Strands
Lady of the Ebon Veil

I guess that's mostly going off of the "tapestry of dreams" metaphor. Bonus points if you rattle them off back to back!

Morgarion
2013-08-28, 12:09 PM
Witch in the Dreamhouse. Ha.

Or, maybe if she operates with relative anonymity, she could be using the pseudonym 'The Sandman'.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-28, 09:31 PM
Dream-speaker?

Lady Slumber?

Queen Mab?

Lionheart
2013-08-29, 09:14 AM
Instead of calling her by a title, he could refer to a different name? I would suggest "Morpheus" as the obvious choice, though last time I used that name I suffered from Matrix quotes for weeks...

John Longarrow
2013-08-29, 10:30 AM
For an obsuce reference, if you are using Roman Gods, you can go with Somnus's Daughter.

For more obscure, try "Keeper of the Gates of Horn and Ivory". Unless they google this they may have a hard time knowing what it means. If you have a similar concept in your game (read something to use Knowledge Religion for) you can use that. More fun is if she's using a minor religious artifact to access dreams.

GungHo
2013-08-30, 08:35 AM
I can't hear someone called "Dream Weaver", "Dream Walker", or any other "Dream *er" reference without singing the Gary Wright song. It's to the point where I'd just say call the character "Gary Wright" and get it over with.

ben-zayb
2013-08-31, 07:48 AM
Some general terminology suggestions:

pertaining to light
luminous/luminiscent
lucent
effulgent
twilight

pertaining to fleeting moments
evanescent
ephemeral

pertaining to alternate existence/reality
edge
spectre/specter
ghost/geist
phantom/phantasm
shade

I would probably go with dream phantom, but that's just because I once had an obito uchiha expy concept character named Traumgeist.

(Un)Inspired
2013-08-31, 02:08 PM
Hmmm I definitely like the idea of using the term twilight in her title as I'm trying to play her as more distant and mysterious than actually evil.

Although the twilight dreamer sounds like someone who writes vampire fan fiction

ben-zayb
2013-08-31, 06:42 PM
Hmmm I definitely like the idea of using the term twilight in her title as I'm trying to play her as more distant and mysterious than actually evil.

Although the twilight dreamer sounds like someone who writes vampire fan fiction
I hear ya. Twilight used to be this word that evokes mystique and out of this world feel. Now? Not so much.

LuckyDee
2013-09-02, 08:04 AM
I hear ya. Twilight used to be this word that evokes mystique and out of this world feel. Now? Not so much.

Use the word 'dusk' instead?

Mutazoia
2013-09-03, 03:23 PM
Use the word 'dusk' instead?

I wouldn't....my group would quickly start referring to the NPC as the "Dusk Dyke" then "Double D" then start asking if she HAS double D's....things would just go down hill from there....

Jack of Spades
2013-09-03, 08:02 PM
Sand-Witch-- Y'know, sandman (Oi, forget this one, said it aloud)
Submerged-- As in the waters of... something. I know this simile works somehow
She Who Gasps-- Like one does when waking from a nightmare in a deep sleep
In Two Gardens-- A reference to her name
One Eye In Dusk/Twilight

That's all I've got at the moment.

PrinceOfMadness
2013-09-03, 08:32 PM
She Who Slumbers
The Lucid Dream
The Waking Dream
Endless Night/Slumber/Dream
The Dreamspeaker
The Dream Oracle

mig el pig
2013-09-04, 06:26 AM
Shade Straggler,
Drifter between Dreams,
The Shallow Tide,

Hopeless
2013-09-04, 06:58 AM
I apologize for this in advance...

Sherlock Bones

Sorry got that from reading the first bit, but I was thinking more nickname where it becomes what people call him rather than his true name so when his real name is spoken there's special emphasis on what it means since anyone else would call him by his whats it called his num de garde sorry I'm not good at those but his Moriarty or those who truly seek to be his equal or superior will do the work to learn who he really is making it mean much more than an otherwise absurd moniker.

geonova
2013-09-04, 07:43 AM
try the Poppy Horror

following that logic, and the morpheus logic, try Opius

also something to do with horses, as the word nightmare comes from a mythical creature called a nightmare, duh, which enters, corrupts and then eats dreams.

and nightmare is made from the words night and mare, if you couldn't figure it out:smalltongue:

LuckyDee
2013-09-04, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't....my group would quickly start referring to the NPC as the "Dusk Dyke" then "Double D" then start asking if she HAS double D's....things would just go down hill from there....

Ok, but that actually says nothing about the word 'dusk' and a whole lot about the players involved in the campaign you're referring to. If you try, you can ruin anything and everything, thinking like that.