PDA

View Full Version : [PF] What Classes can give weapon focus (Whip) at first or second level?

soulsabre345
2013-08-27, 02:24 AM
For a low-level magus I'm making I need weapon focus but I can't take the Kensai ACF (Bladebound Cabalist magus). All third party sources on the pfsrd are open. The ultimate goal is at level 3 to have the Whip Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/whip-mastery-combat) Feat.

I know Fighter 1 is a option, but are there any others?

3.5 Is very likely to not be allowed, although if I can persuade the DM he may allow it.

Bhaakon
2013-08-27, 03:20 AM
Crusader archetype cleric can get both proficiency and weapon focus in it's deity's favored weapon at level 1 (whip is Calistria).

Talieth
2013-08-27, 07:32 AM
A rogue could get "Combat trick" as its 2nd level rogue talent, which he could use to get Weapon focus (since he now got +1 Bab)

Also : Half-elf can get "Ancestral arm" racial that exchange his "skill focus" feat for whichever weapon proficiency you want ... So you could begin with a 1st level barbarian or ranger, not just fighter.

icks
2013-08-27, 07:45 AM
The Almighty Bard !

Psyren
2013-08-27, 07:53 AM
Note that in PF, clerics gain proficiency with the deity's favored weapon for free - you don't need a specific archetype for that.

As stated above, bards get whip proficiency.

If you're not locked into your race, Half-Orcs with the Beastmaster racial trait, as well as Hobgoblins with the Pit Boss trait, both treat whips as martial weapons. This would get you automatic proficiency without losing Magus levels or feats. Both races have good stats for Magi too.

Prince Raven
2013-08-27, 08:50 AM
Not familiar with PF, but if Fighters work the same as they do in 3.5 couldn't you take a level in Fighter to get the bonus feat and use said feat to get exrotic weapon proficiency: whip.

grarrrg
2013-08-27, 06:40 PM
TO THE DIPPING GUIDE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230500)! *60's Batman transition*

(post #1 for a Class-by-Class breakdown, post #3 for "what classes get bonus feats")

I'm assuming a 1 level dip is preferred.
Alright Kensai is the stupid-easy option, but it's out due to Archetype conflict/preference.

Huntmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/huntmaster) Cavalier, and most types of Bards get Whip Prof. but no Weapon Focus/bonus feats.

Battle Mystery Oracle (1 level) Weapon Mastery Revelation. This would drop your Bab a notch (unless Fractional), and would saddle you with a Curse (which may-or-may-not be bad.

Crusader Cleric (as mentioned) can get Weapon Focus at 1st level, and you'd gain one Domain (there are some nice Domain bonuses that can be had with just one level, see the Dipping Guide for a quick list).

And there's always good old Fighter.

You also mentioned Cabalist as an archetype, which is 3rd party, which implies other 3rd party is allowed, but I know little about 3rd party stuff, so.....

EvilAvocado
2013-08-27, 10:22 PM
Human bard does it, no?

Whip proficiency for bard, extra feat as a human.

Bhaakon
2013-08-27, 10:43 PM
Human bard does it, no?

Whip proficiency for bard, extra feat as a human.

Nope. Weapon focus requires a +1 BAB, which a bard doesn't have at level 1.

EvilAvocado
2013-08-28, 06:42 AM
Nope. Weapon focus requires a +1 BAB, which a bard doesn't have at level 1.

Derp. Once again, I miss the obvious.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-08-28, 08:47 AM
Pay I ask why you have chosen to go with the Cabalist archetype over the Kensai? Other than starting as a fighter or dipping fighter at some point, Kensai is the only way you gain both Proficiency and Weapon Focus in a single level (at least in the core rules). The Cabalist is third party content, and frankly seems to be a bit of a mess rules wise.

Since your GM is allowing third party stuff I'd recommend going to some of their websites and asking on their specific forums for advice.