PDA

View Full Version : Your flesh is my canvas [3.P Class]{PEACH}

Milo v3
2013-08-27, 04:13 AM
Going through some third party books I found the Flesh Mage, an abomination making wizard with some interesting rules. But it seemed rather weak and limited, so this is a fix for it adding in some healer, symbionts, and grafting.

The name is from the Gramarie homebrew, but it has nothing to do with it and I simply called it that because it's only thing I could think of. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Biollurgist
"I've done it! I've successfully spliced this chipmunk with a piece of provolone cheese!"

One of the three forms of EldriTech practitioner in Zestari, the Biollurgists are researchers of the flesh. With their knowledge, they warp and twist bodies to their whims and can create what they consider "better" forms of life. They are also the best healers in the world, being able to non-magically cure even the worse ailments (such as losing your arms).

On Zestari the Zern were once masters of Biollurgy, but after hundreds of generations of modification upon modification they have left themselves stunted in growth and the current Zern are stagnating remnants of their once great power.

Role: Biollurgists are amoung the best form of known support. They can enhance their allies abilities with their magic, even permanently strengthen them with surgery. Also, using their mastery over flesh they are masters at healing.

Alignment: Biollurgists can be from any alignment.

Hit Die: d8

Starting Gold: 3d4 x 10 gp.

Class Skills
The Biollurgist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration(Con), Craft (lnt), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (lnt), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (lnt).

Skill Ranks per Level: (2 + Int modifier)

Biollurgist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Flesh Weaver, Fundamentals, Healing Hands, Summon Familiar|3

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Know the Flesh +1|4

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Paralysis Mastery|5

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Grafter -1, Know the Flesh +2|6|3

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Disease Mastery, Unfamiliar Flesh|6|4

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Access Grafts, Know the Flesh +3|6|5|3

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Poison Mastery, Steel and Scales|6|6|4

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+2|Effortless Healer, Grafter -2, Know the Flesh +4|6|6|5|3

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+3|Grow Symbiont|6|6|6|4

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+3|Know the Flesh +5, Unfamiliar Flesh|6|6|6|5|3

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+3|Symbiont Mastery|6|6|6|6|4

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+4|Access Grafts, Grafter -3, Know the Flesh +6|6|6|6|6|5|3

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+4|Disability Mastery, Skilled Grafter|6|6|6|6|6|4

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+4|Know the Flesh +7, Thousand Arms|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+5|Unfamiliar Flesh|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Grafter -4, Know the Flesh +8|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Improved Steel and Scales|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Know the Flesh +9|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6| |6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Grafter -5, Know the Flesh +10, Lord of the Flesh, Unfamiliar Flesh|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Biollurgist.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Biollurgists are proficient with simple weapons, but no form of armour or shield. Though, they should note that armour doesn't interfere with EldriTech magic.

Spells: A biollurgist casts EldriTech spells drawn primarily from the biollurgist spell list presented in Spell Lists. Hecan cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a biollurgist must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a biollurgist's spell is 10 + the spell level + the biollurgist's Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a biollurgist can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Biollurgist. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Constitution score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells).

A biollurgist's selection of spells is extremely limited. A biollurgist begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of his choice. At each new biollurgist level, he gains one or more new spells, which is the exact same as sorcerers spells known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a biollurgist knows is not affected by he Constitution score; the numbers are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the biollurgist spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the biollurgist has gained some understanding of through study.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered biollurgist level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a biollurgist can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the biollurgist loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A biollurgist may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a biollurgist need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. Also, the spells of a biollurgist functions through EldriTech rather than an Arcane source, thus has different rules. Firstly, armour has no impact upon the casting of biollurgist spells. All their spells are of the Transmutation School. All their spells have touch as its target. Aberrations, constructs, elementals, oozes, outsiders, plants and undead creatures and all objects are immune to the effects of a biollurgist’s spells. They do not require material components or focus’s. Finally, they cannot use any metamagic feats on their spells aside from Flesh Weave and Genetic Weave.

EldriTech Flavour: All EldriTech magic is flavoured different to standard magic. Biollurgical EldriTech is done via surgical changes and physically warping the flesh and bodies of the people. Magic items they produce from their spells should be barely alive organic creatures, and their magic should deform individuals they “improve” with their spells. Mechanically this flavour has no effect unless mentioned in other class features.
For example; bull’s strength could make the individuals muscles warp and bulge, expeditious retreat could bend the legs of the person, barkskin would convert their skin into hard chitin. A wand of cure light wounds could be a slug which launches positive energy spines from its end, giant fist gauntlets could be a leech-like creature which engulfs your hand and hardens when necessary. Wondrous architecture… that’s when it would get really creepy….

Flesh Weaver: Biollurgists possess an interesting talent in using EldriTech, they can make a perfect blend of transmutation magic and surgical skill. All biollurgists gain Flesh Weave as a bonus feat.

Fundamentals: Biollurgist learn a number of fundamentals, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table: Biollurgist Spells Known under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.

Healing Hands (Ex): Being masters of manipulating the flesh, they know how to heal it best. When they cast a spell of the healing school, the target of the spell may be healed a number of hit points equal to your constitution score in addition to the standard effects of the spell.

Summon Familiar: Biollurgists may gain a familiar, which functions as the familiar option of Arcane Bond except that these familiars have an additional benefit. Flesh Weave spells that are applied to the familiar by its master don’t count to the limit on how many Flesh Weave spell they can have at a time.

Know the Flesh (Ex): After reaching 2nd level, Biollurgist’s gains Skill Focus (Heal) as a bonus feat. Also, the bonus to Heal Checks from Skill Focus is increased by a number equal to half its class level.

Paralysis Mastery (Ex): Upon reaching 3rd level, biollurgists gain Hold Person and Remove Paralysis as spell-like abilities at can be used at will, with a caster level equal to their class level. These are non-magical in nature, being immune to dispel magic, bypassing spell resistance, and requiring a successful Heal Check to cast (DC 22). You may only target an individual with this either spell-like ability once per day.

Grafter (Ex): When a Biollurgist attaches a graft to a creature, the amount of hit points sacrificed from gaining a graft are reduced by 1 per four class levels. If this can’t reduce the hit point loss further than 0.

Disease Mastery (Ex): Upon reaching 5th level, biollurgists gain Contagion and Remove Disease as spell-like abilities at can be used at will, with a caster level equal to their class level. These are non-magical in nature, being immune to dispel magic, bypassing spell resistance, and requiring a successful Heal Check to cast (DC 23). You may only target an individual with this either spell-like ability once per day.

Unfamiliar Flesh: Every five levels of Biollurgist, the biollurgist may select a type of creature he can’t affect with his Biollurgy spells (such as constructs or undead), they can then affect members of this creature type with his magic.

Access Grafts: At 6th and 12th level, the Biollurgist may select one of the following creatures: Aboleth, Aereni elf, Beholder, Fiendish, Illithid, Maug, Silthilar, Undead, or Yuan-ti. You count as the selected creatures for the purposes of Feat Prerequisites if they have the word Graft in its name.

Poison Mastery (Ex): Upon reaching 7th level, biollurgists gain Poison and Neutralize Poison as spell-like abilities at can be used at will, with a caster level equal to their class level. These are non-magical in nature, being immune to dispel magic, bypassing spell resistance, and requiring a successful Heal Check to cast (DC 25). You may only target an individual with this either spell-like ability once per day.

Steel and Scales (Ex): Upon reaching 7th level, the biollurgist and his familiar can have grafts from two types attached to themselves rather than only one. At 17th level this improves to being able to possess three types of grafts on your body.

Effortless Healer (Ex): At 8th level, a biollurgist has learned to cast spells of the healing subschool with minimal effort. He may cast such spells without provoking attacks of opportunity. This ability applies only to spells of the healing subschool that he casts as a biollurgist, not to those that he may have by virtue of levels in another class.

Grow Symbiont (Su): Once per month a talented Biollurgists can attempt to grow creatures known as symbionts within the bodies of the living. This requires a heal check (DC 30), followed by the individual taking a week of complete bedrest. After which the symbiont will either exist your body (on a successful role), or die (on a failed roll). An unwilling “host” can reject this process by simply not resting during that period or by making a fortitude save (DC 20). The symbionts you may grow are dependent on your level:
{table=head]Level|Symbiont
9|Breed leech, crawling gauntlet, throwing scarab
13|Stormstalk, winter cyst
19|Spellwurm, tentacle whip[/table]

Symbiont Mastery: At 11th level, the biollurgist gains Symbiont Mastery as a bonus feat. If they already possessed Symbiont Mastery they can instead gain any Item Creation Feat they meet the prerequisites of.

Disability Mastery (Ex): Upon reaching 13th level, biollurgists gain blindness/deafness and remove blindness/deafness as spell-like abilities at can be used at will, with a caster level equal to their class level. These are non-magical in nature, being immune to dispel magic, bypassing spell resistance, and requiring a successful Heal Check to cast (DC 30). You may only target an individual with this either spell-like ability once per day.

Thousand Arms (Ex): At 14th level, the biollurgist and his familiar can have two grafts attached to each body slot they possess rather than only one.

Lord of the Flesh (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, the biollurgist becomes a true master in organic EldriTech. They alter themselves to be immune to any effects that allow a fortitude save that isn’t harmless or can affect objects, they can supress this immunity to allow beneficial effects to affect them. They also stop suffering from aging penalties and can’t die of old age. Finally, they gain Genetic Weave as a Bonus Feat.

Spell List
Bleed, Resistance, Stabilize, Touch of Fatigue, Virtue

Ant Haul*, Aspect of the Falcon*, Blend*, Bristle*, Cure Light Wounds, Endure Elements*, Enlarge Person*, Featherfall*, Feather Step*, Inflict Light Wounds, Jump*, Keen Senses*, Longstrider*, Magic Fang*, Pass without Trace*, Polypurpose Panacea*, Ray of Enfeeblement, Reduce Person*, Stone Fist*, Strong Wings*, Touch of Gracelessness, Touch of the Sea*, Vocal Alteration*, Youthful Appearance*

Aboleth’s Lung*, Accelerate Poison, Alter Self, Animal Aspect*, Aspect of the Bear*, Barkskin*, Bear’s Endurance*, Bull’s Strength*, Cat’s Grace*, Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkvision, Delay Disease, Delay Pain*, Delay Poison, Disguise Self*, Disfiguring Touch, Entropic Shield*, Expeditious Retreat*, Glide*, Hold Animal, Hold Person, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Lockjaw*, Protection from Arrows*, Reduce Animal*, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy*, Savage Maw*, Spider Climb*

Anthropomorphic Animal*, Beast Shape 1, Blindness/Deafness, Blood Scent*, Burrow*, Contagion, Countless Eyes*, Cure Serious Wounds, Devolution, Eruptive Pustules*, Fins to Feet*, Fly*, Greater Animal Aspect*, Haste*, Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass Feather Step, Monstrous Physique 1, Pain Strike, Paragon Surge, Pup Shape*, Ray of Exhaustion, Remove Blindess/Deafness, Remove Disease, Resinous Skin*, Sands of Time, Slow, Water Breathing*, Vermin Shape 1

Absorb Toxicity*, Aspect of the Stag*, Atavism*, Beast Shape 2, Bloody Claws*, Calcific Touch, Cure Critical Wounds, Death Ward*, Echolocation*, Fungal Infestation, Giant Vermin*, Greater Darkvision*, Inflict Critical Wounds, Lesser Age Resistance, Mass Enlarge Person, Mass Reduce Person, Monstrous Physique 2, Neutralize Poison, Poison, Ride the Waves*, Rusting Grasp, Strong Jaw*, Thorn Body*, True Form, Vermin Shape 2

Animal Growth*, Aspect of the Wolf*, Baleful Polymorph, Beast Shape 3, Enervation, Greater Contagion, Hold Monster, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Mass Inflict Light Wounds, Mass Pain Strike, Monstrous Physique 3, Overland Flight*, Polymorph, Reincarnate, Slay Living, Stone Skin*, Threefold Aspect*

Age Resistance*, Awaken, Beast Shape 4, Blessing of the Salamander*, Disintegrate, Epidemic, Flesh to Stone, Fluid Form*, Form of the Dragon 1, Greater Contagion, Harm, Heal, Mass Bear’s Endurance, Mass Bull’s Strength, Mass Cat’s Grace, Mass Cure Moderate Wounds, Monstrous Physique 4, Planar Adaption*, Raise Dead, Transformation*

Form of the Dragon 2, Giant Form 1, Greater Age Resistance, Greater Polymorph, Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Mass Hold Person, Mass Fly, Mass Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass Planar Adaption, Regenerate

Animal Shapes, Form of the Dragon 3, Frightful Aspect, Giant Form 2, Iron Body, Mass Atavism, Mass Cure Critical Wounds, Mass Inflict Critical Wounds, Resurrection, Temporal Stasis

Energy Drain, Mass Heal, Mass Hold Monster, Shapechange, Transmute Blood to Acid

Feats
Flesh Weave [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Flesh Weaver
Benefit: Though the use of surgical expertise, you can infuse a body with transmutation magic permanently to make a lasting change to their body, though it requires maintaining. This requires the caster to spell 100 experience points per level of the spell, and takes an hour per level to cast instead of it's normal casting time. An individual can only have a number of Flesh Weaved Spells in existance equal to their Biollurgical level.

As a full-round action, a biollurgist can maintain an adjacent creatures Flesh Weaved Spells. Every 24 hours an effect isn't maintained there is a 25% chance the spell will end. This metamagic can only be applied to certain Biollurgist spells, shown by an asterix after the spells name.

Genetic Weave [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Lord of the Flesh
Benefit: If a creature is affected by a Genetic Weave spell when it reproduces, increase the chance of the spells benefits being passed onto the children as permanent effects to 25%, as if they had been affected by a Flesh Weave version of the spell. These do not need to be maintained.

Genetic Weave can only be be applied to a spell also possessing the Flesh Weave Metamagic. Genetic Weave spells are three levels higher than normal and double the Flesh Weaving experience cost.

Milo v3
2013-08-28, 09:21 PM
Anything? I don't know if I jammed too much stuff into the class....

DMwithoutPC's
2013-08-29, 07:31 AM
Milo, do you know that a homebrew 'biolurgist' allready exists? Its one of the disciplines of Kellus' Gramarie.

Milo v3
2013-08-29, 07:52 AM
Milo, do you know that a homebrew 'biolurgist' allready exists? Its one of the disciplines of Kellus' Gramarie.

Firstly:

The name is from the Gramarie homebrew, but it has nothing to do with it and I simply called it that because it's only thing I could think of. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Secondly, I made two base classes specifically for Biollurgical Gramarie:
Anabolist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15629582&postcount=452)
Biojack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15680683&postcount=519)

So yeah. I know it's a thing. :smalltongue:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-08-29, 09:29 AM
Not familiar with the Gramarie homebrew, and I haven't finished it all, but this is certainly impressive. Some of this reminds me of another class I peached...let me see if I can find it...

Ah yes - Evolutionary Ally (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261839), by Welknair's brother - Baeshra.

It doesn't go as far as you, or do things exactly the same way, but it's certainly along the same dynamic. I'll be making more comments, but do you have any specific questions you'd like me to focus on in particular while I go through the class?

Zaydos
2013-08-29, 09:41 AM
It's a full caster and gets a lot of spells I'm not all to familiar with (I recognize Ant Haul as being PF, and since it's 3.P I'm guessing the others I don't know are too since they weren't Spell Compendium either) which makes it hard to judge its power level (spells = power).

You seem to be using a mixture of the graft rules from Magic of Eberron and all other grafts. Does this mean you're extending the limit of 1 kind of graft to non-MoE grafts or saying you can have as many of those as you like and 1 type of graft from MoE, or that all of those count as one type for these purposes?

All in all I like the concept, but don't know the existing mechanics (grafts and PF spells) well enough to comment.

Arcanist
2013-08-29, 10:37 AM
"I've done it! I've successfully spliced this chipmunk with a piece of provolone cheese!"

... Ummm... Why? :smallconfused:

Milo v3
2013-08-29, 08:32 PM
Not familiar with the Gramarie homebrew, and I haven't finished it all, but this is certainly impressive. Some of this reminds me of another class I peached...let me see if I can find it...
This isn't gramarie homebrew.

Ah yes - Evolutionary Ally (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261839), by Welknair's brother - Baeshra.

It doesn't go as far as you, or do things exactly the same way, but it's certainly along the same dynamic. I'll be making more comments, but do you have any specific questions you'd like me to focus on in particular while I go through the class?
I think my main concern is whether it can function well as support, and as a healer. And whether it has too many elements and is too cluttered.

It's a full caster and gets a lot of spells I'm not all to familiar with (I recognize Ant Haul as being PF, and since it's 3.P I'm guessing the others I don't know are too since they weren't Spell Compendium either) which makes it hard to judge its power level (spells = power).
The spells are from 3.5e Core Rules and PF. I just went through the SRD's. I could add in spells from other sources but since I have over a hundred books I could take a while. :smalltongue:

You seem to be using a mixture of the graft rules from Magic of Eberron and all other grafts. Does this mean you're extending the limit of 1 kind of graft to non-MoE grafts or saying you can have as many of those as you like and 1 type of graft from MoE, or that all of those count as one type for these purposes?

All in all I like the concept, but don't know the existing mechanics (grafts and PF spells) well enough to comment.
It uses the Grafting rules from MoE, which is the same as the grafting rules from Races of the Dragon, Faiths of Eberron, Libris Mortis, Serpent Kingdoms and Underdark.

... Ummm... Why? :smallconfused:
That's just a quote from South Park

Arcanist
2013-08-29, 08:53 PM
That's just a quote from South Park

I am familiar with the quote you used, I was making a quote of my own... Unfortunately I cannot remember where it is from beyond that it is from a comic strip about a scientist making something that is really annoying and another scientist just ask "why" and the inventor is just dumbfounded as to why he did it :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2013-08-29, 08:58 PM
The grafts in Magic of Eberron and Libris Mortis differ greatly, though. Libris Mortis (made first) has no sacrifice required, no limit to only having grafts from one type of creature, and no limit of 5 grafts, instead copying the rules from Fiend Folio. The same is true of the ones in Underdark.

Meanwhile RotD uses MoE graft rules.

Yes it's confusing.

Milo v3
2013-08-29, 09:14 PM
I am familiar with the quote you used, I was making a quote of my own... Unfortunately I cannot remember where it is from beyond that it is from a comic strip about a scientist making something that is really annoying and another scientist just ask "why" and the inventor is just dumbfounded as to why he did it :smalltongue:
Oh... I haven't even seen the episode so I didn't get the reference.

The grafts in Magic of Eberron and Libris Mortis differ greatly, though. Libris Mortis (made first) has no sacrifice required, no limit to only having grafts from one type of creature, and no limit of 5 grafts, instead copying the rules from Fiend Folio. The same is true of the ones in Underdark.

Meanwhile RotD uses MoE graft rules.

Yes it's confusing.
Did not notice that.... :smallredface:
Well... I guess the different feats have different rules. So you'd use whichever rules are tied to the feat your using at that time.... Not sure how else ot handle it.