PDA

View Full Version : Warlock invocation

Rumda
2006-12-19, 11:21 AM
Channelled blast
Greater 5th Eldritch essence

If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a swift action it does 4d6 less damage and the range increment or area of the eldritch blast is reduced by 10ft. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a move action it does 2d6 less damage. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a full round action it does 2d6 more damage. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation in two rounds it does 4d6 more damage and the range increment or area of the eldritch blast is increased by 10ft

((this is by first attempt at a homebrew so give me your honest opinion on it))

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 02:00 PM
Channelled blast
Greater 5th blast shape

If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a swift action it does 4d6 less damage and the save DC (if it allows a save) of any eldrich essence applied to if is reduced by 2. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a move action it does 2d6 less damage. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a full round action it does 2d6 more damage. If you choose cast a Eldritch blast modified by this invocation as a swift action it does 4d6 more damage and the save DC (if it allows a save) of any Eldritch essence applied to if is increased by 2.

((this is by first attempt at a homebrew so give me your honest opinion on it))

You seem to have swift action in there twice with two different effects. Do you mean to have the "full round action" be a "standard action" and the second "swift action" be a "full round action"? That would make more sense...

Rumda
2006-12-19, 02:58 PM
You seem to have swift action in there twice with two different effects. Do you mean to have the "full round action" be a "standard action" and the second "swift action" be a "full round action"? That would make more sense...
the second swift action was meant to be two consecutive full round actions, it is fixed now thanks

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 03:08 PM
Two other critiques:

* Consider making this a Blast Essense rather than a Blast Shape. It really doesn't have a shape, per se and it is modifying the effect of the blast.

* It would be possible to use a swift action every round to get off two attacks, albeit having one at lessened power and easier saves (save DC would only apply to Eldritch Cone shape anyway, right? Since no other shape allows a save.) Perhaps state that Eldritch Blast can only be used once per round even with this essense applied -- this will still allow the Warlock to use another invocation or perform some other action. Otherwise this just gives a Warlock one free low-powered attack per round.

Khantalas
2006-12-19, 03:10 PM
And avoid two consecutive full-round actions. It allows for 5-foot steps. Use two rounds instead.

Rumda
2006-12-19, 03:15 PM
Two other critiques:

* Consider making this a Blast Essense rather than a Blast Shape. It really doesn't have a shape, per se and it is modifying the effect of the blast.

* It would be possible to use a swift action every round to get off two attacks, albeit having one at lessened power and easier saves (save DC would only apply to Eldritch Cone shape anyway, right? Since no other shape allows a save.) Perhaps state that Eldritch Blast can only be used once per round even with this essense applied -- this will still allow the Warlock to use another invocation or perform some other action. Otherwise this just gives a Warlock one free low-powered attack per round.

consider hideous blow it does not technically have a shape either and i have pictured this as just letting the Eldritch Blast draw more power or less rather than altering the power its self which is how I picture Eldritch essences

Duke of URL
2006-12-19, 10:00 PM
consider hideous blow it does not technically have a shape either and i have pictured this as just letting the Eldritch Blast draw more power or less rather than altering the power its self which is how I picture Eldritch essences

Hideous Blow is a mechanism for delivering the blast. This idea changes the effect of the blast. I just can't see how it can be reasonably defined as a blast shape rather than a blast essence.

Also, consider that since you've essentially allowed a free attack per round as a swift action, allowing that attack to have the full effects of an additional blast essence would be extremely unbalancing.

Rumda
2006-12-20, 07:41 AM
Hideous Blow is a mechanism for delivering the blast. This idea changes the effect of the blast. I just can't see how it can be reasonably defined as a blast shape rather than a blast essence.

Also, consider that since you've essentially allowed a free attack per round as a swift action, allowing that attack to have the full effects of an additional blast essence would be extremely unbalancing.
OK so I'll change it to an essence, and in stead of the save DC being modified I'll modify the range/area of the blast