PDA

View Full Version : Children of Rinduril

Glooble Glistencrist
2006-12-19, 11:43 AM
Hey guys. I've been reading this site for about two years now, but I only just joined the forums. Several of my designs were posted on a forum I moderated that kind of died, so I'll be reposting them here so I can get some real feedback. I'm gonna start with one of my favorite magic items, the Children of Rinduril. This item can seriously spice up a story driven campaign.

The Children of Rinduril

Long, long ago, a powerful sorcerer named Rinduril lived. Rinduril's insatiable appetite for power was matched only by his cunning abilit to get it. At the height of his power, Rinduril ruled six kingdoms - none of which knew who their real ruler was. Rinduril had a real knack for controlling people.
Eventually, though, Rinduril realized he was spreading himself to thin. So he came up with a plan to help him keep a closer eye on his kingdoms. He built six magical daggers, each tailor made for the supposed leader of one of his kingdoms, and gave them to them as gifts. He told them these daggers were for their protection, and imbued them with many magical powers. But he also imparted a tiny piece of his soul to each weapon. This gave each dagger a share of his cunning, allowing each to talk to it's supposed master and influence him to perform the will of it's real master.
Eventually, Rinduril died, and when he did something peculiar happened. The daggers, no longer having a master to command them, had decided their weilders were their new masters. Suddenly all six rulers became power hungry, taking every opportunity to seize new lands and expand their influence, until all six empires had fallen through overextension.
Empires fall, Conquerors fail, but always the daggers remain. The children of Rinduril have been involved in every major power struggle in the past five hundred years.

Each child of Rinduril appears to be nothing more than a typical +3 frost dagger, but it is much, much, more. The dagger does not consider a new master it's real master unless it judges him or her worthy. Any feat of particular cunning or ingenuity on the part of the weilder, or an impressive display of leadership, convinces the dagger that its worthwhile to speak. The dagger then begins to speak to it's weilder, subtly trying to convince him or her to gain more power. It also reveals to the weilder some of it's other abilities, hinting at how they could be used to bring him or her to greater power.

At it's the discretion, the dagger can cast the following spell on it's wielder, as a 6th level sorcerer:

Suggestion at will (wielder gets a will save to negate)
Disguise self 3/day
Invisibility 1/day
Fox's Cunning 1/day

It also has the following spells to use on enemies:

Ice knife 2/day
Touch of Idiocy 1/day

If the wielder of a Child or Rinduril shows after a few months that he or she either cannot be swayed or is to incompetent to gain any real power, the dagger will find some way to leave that wielder, using its suggestion ability to try and convince the wielder to accidentally leave it somewhere, or refusing to use its magical properties until its given to or left to be found by a better master.

Each child of Rinduril has the following ability scores:

Intelligence 18
Wisdom 16
Charisma 20

Skills (with ability modifiers figured in)- Diplomacy +14, Bluff +14, Sense motive +12, Spot +8, Listen +8

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wanting to use this in a game, feel free - just tell me how it goes.

Sahegian
2006-12-19, 01:09 PM
Does it have a master dagger that has hidden writing only to be shown when you drop it in a fire?

However, I do like anything with a touch of idiocy!

Balesirion
2006-12-19, 04:56 PM
Do they have an alignment? They are intelligent items, after all.