PDA

View Full Version : Have we seen the last of Zzdtri?

johnbragg
2013-08-27, 06:28 AM
On the yes side:

1. He was not an important enough character to bring back.

On the no side:

1. Part of Sabine's revenge-plot. They were teammates, his corpse is available

2. Allied to Qarr, and thus to the IFCC. This mostly makes 1 more feasible, as Sabine borrows IFCC assets to Raise Z. (Can drow be raised? Eh, if its part of the plot, they can in the OOTSverse.

The Zoat
2013-08-27, 06:38 AM
Drow as a whole are entirely raise-able, but that would make him some sort of recurring returner. Comes in, gets lawsuited away, comes back, gets killed, gets raised. I don't really see it, but it's possible.

Ron Miel
2013-08-27, 08:16 AM
On the no side:

Parody may be protected speech, but you can only carry it so far. If he's too big a character, then The Giant may run into copyright problems.

Tiiba
2013-08-27, 08:24 AM
I don't actually know, so I ask: how much connection actually is there between Zz'dri and Drizzt Do'urden? From the little I know, not very much at all.

Kish
2013-08-27, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I don't think Rich is at all concerned about the legality of having a drow named Zz'dtri, who is basically nothing like Drizzt except that he's a drow whose name is an anagram for Drizzt, in his webcomic.

pendell
2013-08-27, 08:32 AM
I agree. Apart from the fact that Zz'dtri carries two swords (which we haven't seen used in hundreds of panels) and is a dark elf personality-wise they are NOTHING alike.

I don't think we'll see Zz'dtri again. ON a meta level, his story purpose is fulfilled so there's no reason to see him on panel again even if he is resurrected. On a story level , I haven't seen his corpse on panel for awhile so it's possible the Order has disposed of it or it has already been covered by the endless dunes.

Besides, if Sabine wants to execute a murder plot, aren't there a lot of other people she could use who are still alive and more tractable? Even if she's restricted to only entering the Prime via summons, the incoming calls for a succubus must light up the switchboard every day. I have this mental image of the equivalent of house slytherin at a magical college summoning one to come out of a cake at a birthday party, for example.

So long as there is both magic and teenage males in a world, a succubus will have NO problems getting back to prime any time she wants.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

johnbragg
2013-08-27, 09:59 AM
I guess this is mostly a spinoff of the "Sabine's revenge on Tarquin" theme.

She'd need allies. So logically you'd start with the Linear Guild veterans. Thag obviously would want vengeance for his friend, but equally obviously isn't going to do stealth and subtlety well. Zzdtri isn't exactly loyal to Nale, but depending on how you bring him back (cough*undead*cough) that may not matter much.

How to sell the IFCC on this? Describe it as a plan to infiltrate Team Evil--use Sabine's succubus powers to seduce a 10-12th level Gobbotopia cleric. Raise Thag (a powerful half-orc, would fit in Gobbotopia as well as anywhere), Create Greater Undead on Zzdtri.

Oh, and I think a ghost (or other undead) Zzdtri thoroughly covers any copyright issues.

MtlGuy
2013-08-27, 02:00 PM
His corpse is splayed out in the sand, exposed and available to scavengers. If no one comes to his posthumous rescue, he'll be nothing but bones lying in a sand dune. He utterly failed to defeat V, despite preparing a character build specifically designed to achieve same.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

Ramien
2013-08-27, 04:51 PM
My new hope for Z:
Z hitches a ride in/hijacks V's body when V gets returned at the end of the IFCC's claimed time. They have a full on knock-down, drag-out fight in the middle of V's mind for control of the body, after V smartly declines a partnership or time-share.

Sky_Schemer
2013-08-27, 06:07 PM
I am going to say "no" for the same reason Nale is not coming back: the whole Linear Guild thing has been played out. The OOtS has outgrown them, and the story is moving on to bigger and better places. Rich has all but said this through Tarquin.

Sabine is still around because she is a link to both the IFCC and to Tarquin, and because revenge is a tried-and-true story line.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-27, 06:35 PM
Yes.

(To answer the thread title with Zzdtri-like brevity)

Ramien
2013-08-27, 06:35 PM
I am going to say "no" for the same reason Nale is not coming back: the whole Linear Guild thing has been played out. The OOtS has outgrown them, and the story is moving on to bigger and better places. Rich has all but said this through Tarquin.

Sabine is still around because she is a link to both the IFCC and to Tarquin, and because revenge is a tried-and-true story line.

Tarquin has said it, not Rich. I'm still hoping Tarquin will soon learn just how much he's wrong about what the main storylines and players are.

It's not even that I'm all that attached to most of the LG - I just want Tarquin to be wrong. Most of the villains of each arc have fallen due the flaws in their worldview coming back to get them, and I see Tarquin as a cooler version of Kubuta - he thinks he's a central character, with a long part dedicated to his downfall. But he adds the utter confidence in his own ability to read the plot, and that needs to get ground in his face hard. If it's Nale doing it, so much the better - it's oh-so-close to his desired showdown with Elan, and yet nowhere near as good a story for him.

Sky_Schemer
2013-08-27, 06:41 PM
I am going to say "no" for the same reason Nale is not coming back: the whole Linear Guild thing has

And by "no" here, I mean "yes".

Sky_Schemer
2013-08-27, 06:44 PM
I just want Tarquin to be wrong. Most of the villains of each arc have fallen due the flaws in their worldview coming back to get them, and I see Tarquin as a cooler version of Kubuta - he thinks he's a central character, with a long part dedicated to his downfall.

I think he's right where it comes to the LG, but he's going to be wrong where it comes to Elan. In fact, he's already misjudged Elan in 914 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0914.html) wrt his feelings about Nale's death. I think that is just the start of it. Elan is a good person, and Tarquin will not ever be able to fully understand his motivations, much less predict his actions.

Procyonpi
2013-08-27, 06:51 PM
Yes.

But seriously.

CowardlyPaladin
2013-08-27, 07:41 PM
Yes.

But seriously.

I saw what you did there.

I would LOVE to have Z come back and his body has not been destroyed but I don't know if the character is interesting enough for Rich to want to work with him more. I'd love to that alot.

Geordnet
2013-08-27, 07:56 PM
I can only see one way that Z isn't gone for good: if he meets up with Thog, Nale, and Sabine in the Lower Planes.

Kurashima
2013-08-28, 08:09 AM
I think hes coming back. I dont even think we will get an explanation as to how or why, hes not that important a character, hes just a very strong spellcaster who can be used as a counterpoint to V.

That said, how he died was stupid. Remember Haley's speech about never allowing yourself to be led into the other parties melee range? Rookie mistake!

Procyonpi
2013-08-28, 08:35 AM
I saw what you did there.

You mean added more white text to the post because my simple answer was under 10 characters? We really don't need Z coming back.

Chantelune
2013-08-28, 08:58 AM

We only saw one pannel showing Sabine being angry since Nale died. For all we now, next strip, we might see her getting offed by the IFCC so she won't get between whatever their plan really is by seeking revenge for a mere pawn. Or because they might think that her loyalty is more to the LG than them.

In my opinion, it's way too early to consider that she's "still around" or already on a revenge quest.

Also, regarding Z and his connection with the IFCC through Quarr, I wouldn't call it that way. Quarr lied several times to Z, leaving him out of the loop and fleeing everytime things got even a little dangerous. I often wonder if the IFCC sent him to Z so he could keep an eye on Sabine and eventually get to V as the LG was obviously going against the order one more time.

Personnally, I hope it's the last we see of the LG. We're reaching the end of the story, there won't be time for b-listers anymore.

Adeptus
2013-08-28, 09:42 AM
Z was just a class feature for Nale, giving him the magical muscle to be a credible threat. They are both gone for good.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-28, 12:10 PM
On the no side:

Parody may be protected speech, but you can only carry it so far. If he's too big a character, then The Giant may run into copyright problems.

He's not a ranger, isn't dual wielding scimitars, and isn't redeemed. Zzdtri is no more a parody of Drizzt then a baked potato.

Sky_Schemer
2013-08-28, 12:23 PM
In my opinion, it's way too early to consider that she's "still around" or already on a revenge quest.

It was established quite a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) that she's been working for the IFCC. While it is certainly possible that they will off her, and I certainly wouldn't be upset about it, she and Qarr are still their only reps on this plane. I suspect she'll be around for a little longer, at least. Just letting this thread drop would seem...abrupt.

Procyonpi
2013-08-28, 08:36 PM
He's not a ranger, isn't dual wielding scimitars, and isn't redeemed. Zzdtri is no more a parody of Drizzt then a baked potato.

Parody =/= complete ripoff. He's not identical, but he's unambiguously a parody. I mean, his name is even an anagram of Drizzt.

Bartle
2013-08-28, 08:41 PM
I imagine so. The comic has been phasing out old characters and plotlines since the destruction of the Resistance and the death of Tsukiko. It looks like Tarquin (and possibly his buddies) are the new game in town... for now, at least.

ETA: also, I hope so. It was high time for a nice culling.

dtilque
2013-08-28, 09:45 PM
I don't think we'll see Zz'dtri again. ON a meta level, his story purpose is fulfilled so there's no reason to see him on panel again even if he is resurrected.

This.

Except for Nale's need of a spellcaster to help off Malack, Z would have been killed by V/Yukyuk in their duel at the gladiator arena. He had no other function after that.

As far as Sabine getting revenge for Nale, her instinctive strategy would not involve a wizard. Rather she's most likely to try to seduce Tarquin and then try to murder him in his sleep. He's probably too genre-savvy to fall for that, though.

Geordnet
2013-08-28, 11:39 PM
Except for Nale's need of a spellcaster to help off Malack, Z would have been killed by V/Yukyuk in their duel at the gladiator arena. He had no other function after that.
That we know of.

Never discount the possibility of some future purpose yet unknown.

Mike Havran
2013-08-29, 04:40 AM
Tarquin may find the body when he orders his army to search the area of explosion, raise him and hire him as a bodyguard. Powerful wizards don't grow on trees.

Matt620
2013-08-31, 02:37 PM
I really hope we see more Zz'dtri. The offing of Malack was just too awesome to regulate V to a one panel neck snap, then gags with his dead body.

Plus, he was pretty cool.

Incom
2013-08-31, 03:00 PM
I'm still pulling for the eventual founding of "Team Let's Beat the IFCC" starring Belkar and whoever else is evil and dead or confirmed to die. Z is a nice candidate for that.

Vedhin
2013-08-31, 04:40 PM
Tarquin may find the body when he orders his army to search the area of explosion, raise him and hire him as a bodyguard. Powerful wizards don't grow on trees.

This actually sounds fairly reasonable. Z was a reliable and loyal member of the Linear Guild, definitely not a "loose cannon". He demonstrated the ability to masquerade in Tarquin's prescence, and apparently did a good job but for the ring. He also has a build tailored to beat the wizard that works with the biggest threat to Tarquin, Elan. Plus, Tarquin would find the climactic battle between V and Z as narratively appropriate.

Or maybe it's just the fact that I liked Z as a character, and don't want him gone.

Clyner
2013-08-31, 05:35 PM
I hope not. That little smile Z gave when Tarquin patched him up made him kind of endearing. Also we never got his background. (Or Thog's background for that matter!) . But I think Tarquin will end up raising them both, his policy about not working with loose cannons seems to be a flexible one.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-31, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qCSaBK4Cs

dps
2013-09-02, 12:12 PM
It was established quite a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) that she's been working for the IFCC. While it is certainly possible that they will off her, and I certainly wouldn't be upset about it, she and Qarr are still their only reps on this plane.

They have pawns on every team. Some of them don't even know that they're pawns.

Tiktik Ironclaw
2013-09-02, 06:36 PM
While I would love Zz'dtri to return, I'm sorry fellow forumites, I don't think we will. :smallfrown: But, if you're like me, you've already immortalized him as a miniature. :smallbiggrin: