PDA

View Full Version : maximized based attack bonus -help

relytdan
2013-08-27, 08:16 AM
looking to get the base attack bonus as high as possible as fast as possible
the standard fighter progression sees level 20 BAB+20/+15/+10/+5
and that is good but this needs more .. so how to do it within 20 levels?

A.A.King
2013-08-27, 08:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't get more BAB then +20 at level 20. You can get a higher attack bonus or more attacks through feats, but you can't actually get more BAB

Chronos
2013-08-27, 08:22 AM
There is no way, short of extreme cheese, to get BAB any more quickly than a fighter does. One must ask, though, if that's actually what you're trying to get: There are many other sources of attack bonus other than BAB. The only advantage BAB has over any of the others is that it leads to iterative attacks, but those max out at four attacks, which you get at BAB 16.

OldTrees1
2013-08-27, 08:44 AM
Is Divine Power capped at BAB: +20?
Where does it say iterative attacks are capped at 4 attacks?
(Obviously any further attacks would have been at -20 and below so they are not valuable)

Telonius
2013-08-27, 08:49 AM
Now there's a question I'd never considered ... if a high-level Cleric Scribes a scroll of Divine Power, is the bonus it confers based on the level of the person scribing it, or the level of the person activating it? May have to take that one to the RAW thread...

EDIT: RAW thread says it's based on the person who activates the scroll.

Dictum Mortuum
2013-08-27, 08:53 AM
Have a bard Inspire greatness and then use divine power.

A.A.King
2013-08-27, 09:01 AM
I'm guessing the real question is, why do you want more BAB?

More Attacks per round?
Bigger Chance of hitting?
(Early) Entry in Prestige Class having a BAB requirement?

herrhauptmann
2013-08-27, 09:11 AM
Is Divine Power capped at BAB: +20?
Where does it say iterative attacks are capped at 4 attacks?
(Obviously any further attacks would have been at -20 and below so they are not valuable)

Epic rules state that after level 20, you only get 'epic attack bonuses.' The EAB stacks with BAB to determine your total attack bonus, but EAB does not grant extra attacks. Even if you're taking a nonepic class at epic levels.

If you go wizard 20, you'll have 2 attacks. If your 21st to 30th levels are fighter, you'll still have two attacks at level 30.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm#epicAttackBonus

Since 20 bab means 4 attacks a round (+20/15/10/5), you can't ever get more than 4 iteratives. Part of the reasoning, is that getting an extra attack at +1 in epic levels s a waste of time. It pretty much will not hit, not unless it's a nat 20.

OldTrees1
2013-08-27, 09:19 AM
Epic rules state that after level 20, you only get 'epic attack bonuses.' The EAB stacks with BAB to determine your total attack bonus, but EAB does not grant extra attacks. Even if you're taking a nonepic class at epic levels.

If you go wizard 20, you'll have 2 attacks. If your 21st to 30th levels are fighter, you'll still have two attacks at level 30.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm#epicAttackBonus

Since 20 bab means 4 attacks a round (+20/15/10/5), you can't ever get more than 4 iteratives. Part of the reasoning, is that getting an extra attack at +1 in epic levels s a waste of time. It pretty much will not hit, not unless it's a nat 20.

That did not answer my question. Normally you can't get a BAB greater than 20 because epic levels do not give BAB. However there are ways to get a BAB greater than 20. (Character Level 21 cleric casting Divine Power?)
Where does it say that a BAB of +21 does not get a 5th attack?
Does it ever say that you get an additional iterative attack per 5 BAB above +1? Or does it merely list that you get a second/third/fourth attack at 6/11/16 BAB?

Obviously BAB should be capped at +20 but I am curious if WotC failed yet again.

dascarletm
2013-08-27, 09:26 AM
It says it in the epic level handbook.

Pilo
2013-08-27, 09:29 AM
It is said there ! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm)

Base Attack Bonus

A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack.

It does not say you don't get an attack every 5 points of Bab.

Even if you find a way to get more than 20 Bab, you have to find a rules that give you one more attack if your character Bab is 21 or more.

OldTrees1
2013-08-27, 09:40 AM
Thanks Pilo that is what I suspected.

I still am curious why relytdan wants more BAB.

Segev
2013-08-27, 09:45 AM
...Epic Attack Bonus and BAB are two different bonuses. Divine Power gives BAB equal to character level. Epic clerics get +1.5 to hit for every epic level? (IIRC, EAB improves at +1/2 epic levels.)

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 09:53 AM
There is a 3.0 psionic prestige class that tries to be monk-ish within the archives somewhere. What is noteworthy on it is that you get normal medium bab ( +7 at 10th level ). However, if you use unarmed attacks, you get a special bonus that is enough to attack as if you had full bab ( specific ability fiat ). Put divine power on this character and the 'favorable stacking' crap optimizers do, and you can have a bab of +23 before going epic.

Chronos
2013-08-27, 10:03 AM
The Solar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar) has a BAB of 22, and uses iterative attacks, but still only gets four of them.

animewatcha, that would have been because the Monk's flurry of blows worked differently in 3.0. Regardless, though, that class isn't legal in 3.5, because all of 3.0 psionics was officially made obsolete with the publishing of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 10:13 AM
Found it.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020927b

Actually, stuff in 3.0 is legal so long as the whole adaption thing is done to 3.5. And the prestige class in this article acts exactly as I have stated.

eggynack
2013-08-27, 10:18 AM
...Epic Attack Bonus and BAB are two different bonuses. Divine Power gives BAB equal to character level. Epic clerics get +1.5 to hit for every epic level? (IIRC, EAB improves at +1/2 epic levels.)
That is accurate. Still, as long as you can pick up some kind of divine power item, which you should seriously be able to, every character will advance at that same +1.5/level rate. It's kinda neat.

Caylus
2013-08-27, 12:18 PM
That is accurate. Still, as long as you can pick up some kind of divine power item, which you should seriously be able to, every character will advance at that same +1.5/level rate. It's kinda neat.

Actually, in the deluxe version of the PHB divine power does cap at 20.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11198389#post11198389

eggynack
2013-08-27, 12:24 PM
Actually, in the deluxe version of the PHB divine power does cap at 20.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11198389#post11198389
I can't say that I've ever actually seen those rules in any form before now. Do they show up in the rereleased PHB that came out recently? The rule makes sense. I'm just not sure if it qualifies as a rule.

Urpriest
2013-08-27, 12:26 PM
Found it.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020927b

Actually, stuff in 3.0 is legal so long as the whole adaption thing is done to 3.5. And the prestige class in this article acts exactly as I have stated.

The adaptation would remove the increased BAB though, in accordance with the change in the mechanics for Flurry of Blows.

Chronos
2013-08-27, 12:31 PM
Actually, stuff in 3.0 is legal so long as the whole adaption thing is done to 3.5.
And the "whole adaptation thing" for all of psionics was done in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. If it's not in there, or in a book that came after it, then the "adaptation" consisted of "that doesn't exist any more".

Feint's End
2013-08-27, 12:58 PM
It does not say you get an attackevery 5 points of Bab.

fixed that for you. ... but other than that you are right

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 01:44 PM
And the "whole adaptation thing" for all of psionics was done in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. If it's not in there, or in a book that came after it, then the "adaptation" consisted of "that doesn't exist any more".

For something like 'defensive mode/ offensive mode', I can see what you mean. But can you name specific examples besides that though? Otherwise, that kind of 'thought process' pretty much any 3.0 feat/prestige class/spell/etc. aren't useable in 3.5 unless they were in player's handbook or in a book that came after that. Nevermind later books referencing earlier books.

@urpriest: I can see a case being built for that if the prestige class didn't have the 'unarmed strike attack bonus' for specifically unarmed strikes and not the usual monk weapon language. They even have the armor/speed 'bonuses' be on feats.

Caylus
2013-08-27, 01:47 PM
I can't say that I've ever actually seen those rules in any form before now. Do they show up in the rereleased PHB that came out recently? The rule makes sense. I'm just not sure if it qualifies as a rule.

I'm not sure really. Only thing I know is that they're present in this book: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndcore/179230000

Chronos
2013-08-27, 01:50 PM
The Expanded Psionics Handbook has a blurb near the beginning which specifically says "This book constitutes the update for all of 3.0 psionics to 3.5", or something like that. Most splatbooks don't say that: For instance, Complete Arcane does not say that it replaces Tome and Blood, so if there's something in Tome and Blood that isn't specifically updated (in Complete Arcane or elsewhere), it should be legal.

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 01:51 PM
Sold in 2004 so one of those 'not everyone can access easily'. Normal PHB errata offa the official listings has divine favor being changed a little, but not divine power.

@Chronos: I believe I found what you are trying to reference. Basically it is saying that you need to compare your 3.0 character to how x feat, class, etc. is now and work with your DM to change as necessary ( like certain items ).

I'm pretty sure not every ( probably many, but not every ) race, class, feat, power in 3.0 had a offensive/defensive/BringThemTogetherToFormVoltron mode while your character was destroying defending the universe.

relytdan
2013-08-27, 04:29 PM
The why intrest in a higher BAB than 20 is my own..
here is a speculation that might and might not work...
if I take a race - say Stone Giant ( has 15 HD and LA+4 - grants +11 BAB)
would this race as a fighter reach level 20 - to get 31 effective BAB?
I can buy off the 4 level adjust easy enough - the 15 HD is another matter though..

OldTrees1
2013-08-27, 04:41 PM
According to Epic level rules:
When your character level (Hit Dice) exceeds 20, you do not gain any more BAB.
So a Stone Giant (15HD, +11BAB) with 5 levels of Fighter (+5HD, +5BAB) would be capped at +16BAB. Any additional levels would give +1 epic attack bonus every other level.

However +16BAB is the most you will ever need AFAIK. No fighter feat requires more than +14BAB and +16BAB is when you receive your final iterative attack.

herrhauptmann
2013-08-27, 05:54 PM
However +16BAB is the most you will ever need AFAIK. No fighter feat requires more than +14BAB and +16BAB is when you receive your final iterative attack.
I believe that an epic character with low bab can use the combination of their bab and eab to qualify for feats.

Say the wiz20/ftr10 I mentioned above. Bab 10 and Eab 5. His combined attack bonus is 15, which would be count as enough to qualify for something like Robilars Gambit or Overwhelming assault (phb2, bab 12 and 15)

Honestly, it might be a houserule, but it's a houserule that makes sense.