PDA

View Full Version : Role Playing Joke Ideas

chrono17
2013-08-27, 09:03 AM
In an upcoming game I am playing in there is a player who has given his character the moniker "Monkey." It is my personal obligation to abuse this name maliciously. That said I'm having a bit of trouble actually coming up with good quips for this. Asking here for ideas seemed as good an idea as any. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Edit:
His class is monk.
Weapon is quarterstaff.
He has branded himself the "town trickster"
Our group's sense of humor is very loose. Anything goes generally.

Dr. Yes
2013-08-27, 09:17 AM
Man, that's a really context-dependent request. What's the setting and situation? What's your group's sense of humor like? What else can you tell us about the character?

Hyena
2013-08-27, 10:40 AM
Yeah, you can't have any buisness with just "Monkey". What kind of buisness is that?

navar100
2013-08-27, 01:06 PM
As part of character background, his father spanked him.

Segev
2013-08-27, 01:12 PM
Is his class Monk? Tell me his class is Monk.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 01:49 PM
When investigating: Curious George.

When fighting, or angry: Furious George.

He could find banana-daggers (gold daggers shaped like bananas), or banana scimitars.

If he's a Bard, he could find a magic street-organ which attracts donations when played.

He could discover a magic fez.

What class is our lovely simian friend?

Asheram
2013-08-27, 02:21 PM
... His arch nemesis must be a Bard with perform Barrel Organ. His favorite spell is Otto's Irresistible Dance.

BWR
2013-08-27, 02:34 PM
No, this (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/madMonkeys.html#_mad-monkeys)is his favorite spell.

Asheram
2013-08-27, 02:41 PM
No, this (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/madMonkeys.html#_mad-monkeys)is his favorite spell.

For Monkey, perhaps. The OP is the other player who wants to mess with the Monkey. :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 02:45 PM
If defeated or captured, he is stored in a barrel, arms locked with his friends.

chrono17
2013-08-27, 03:43 PM
Wow, did not expect such fast replies. To elaborate a bit, he is a monk, and he is casting himself as the town trickster. I actually don't know a whole lot about the stories setting and that's all I know about his character. But really that's enough to know he must be made fun of for it. Thanks again for the help.

Segev
2013-08-27, 04:29 PM
Find out the name of his aunt, and joke about either marrying her yourself (if she's available and of a young enough age not to be totally creepy) so you can use "I'll be a Monkey's Uncle," or joke about her husband (or just his actual uncle) being a Monkey's Uncle.

I believe kukris are monk weapons. If your character can forge weapons or craft leatherworks, make him a pair of "peeling" sheathes, either as part of the kukris or as things he can hold them in. Make sure they're yellow. Bonus points if the kukris are or look gold.

Sleight of Hand a "tail" into the waistband of his pants.

Refer to him as "Lord Monte` Fisk."

Ask him if he's unstoppable (Ron Stoppable).

Refer to his Ki abilities as "Mystical Monkey Power."

If a caster, name yourself Shiro and create mono-colored (each in a different color) Silent Images of him. Refer to them as your super [mumble] monkey team hyper force go.

(That last one's weak, but if you can draw inspiration from it, please do.)

If he gets angry, remind him that he doesn't need to "go ape."

Tell him, regularly, to quit Monkeying around.

Get a barrel. Tell him it's his sleeping accommodations on the road. You heard there's nothing more fun.

Honestly, it's best if you can get him to play along with most of these; if he's the trickster, he should enjoy playing up some of these jokes for the amusement of all.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 05:00 PM
No more monkey business.

Bulhakov
2013-08-27, 05:05 PM
Where do monkeys go to drink?
The monkey bars!

As for typical monkey jokes, I'd go with lots of various allusions to spanking, poop flinging and bananas :)

Alejandro
2013-08-27, 05:59 PM
A bunch of Dr. Zaius jokes.

Magatsu Izanagi
2013-08-27, 06:12 PM
Monk, wields a quarterstaff, goes by the name "Monkey"... Guy thinks he's Sun Wukong, doesn't he? Unfortunately, I only have a very cursory knowledge of Journey to the West, so someone else needs to think of a few good jokes that reference that work.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 06:31 PM
Monk, wields a quarterstaff, goes by the name "Monkey"... Guy thinks he's Sun Wukong, doesn't he? Unfortunately, I only have a very cursory knowledge of Journey to the West, so someone else needs to think of a few good jokes that reference that work.

He could just be going off the LoL champion, so you could make jokes about that.

navar100
2013-08-27, 07:12 PM
The BBEG of the campaign is known as the Weasel.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-08-27, 09:38 PM
Sadly I thought from the thread title you were going to ask for ideas for playing joke characters in a joke campaign. I was prepped to tell you about my buddy's fighter Guts Brohard and his best friend Bronan the Brobarian.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-27, 10:46 PM
Sadly I thought from the thread title you were going to ask for ideas for playing joke characters in a joke campaign. I was prepped to tell you about my buddy's fighter Guts Brohard and his best friend Bronan the Brobarian.

I really hope Brometheus and Broseidon (King of the Brocean) were involved.

navar100
2013-08-27, 11:06 PM
Whenever he speaks to an NPC, the NPC starts to smoke a cigar/pipe/something else.

Doomboy911
2013-08-27, 11:12 PM
"Have you gone bannanas?"

"Stop monkeying around."

Ahead you see a set of monkey bars, the natural habitat of the town trickster.

He hits you with baleful polymorph you find yourself as a small monkey with a little hat. So the spell must have failed.

Also when said spell wears off he finds the tail is still attached.

Mutazoia
2013-08-28, 12:13 AM
No matter what he orders to eat, he's always brought a plate of banana's
Frequently have a small child ask him if he's the guy who makes Rhesus Pieces.
Frequently have some one he touches yell "Get your filthy paws off me you damned dirty ape!"
When ever he loses consciousness, have him wake up wearing a Fez/vest combo and carrying an organ grinder.
Frequently have some one tell him to "Go west, young monkey."
At some point have a pig start following him around. The pig has a collar with Zhu Bajie engraved on it. Have the pig remain for the rest of the campaign. It can't die.
Frequently have the party find bowels of dates. Award a small amount of bounus XP to any player convincing him to taste test the dates.
Frequently do "Kung-Fu" style flashbacks, where he recalls wisdom imparted to him by his master Hu Flung Poo.
Have a half crazed man attack him shouting "Death to Cesar!"
Have him make frequent will saves to resist grooming the party's horses for lice (eating said lice).
As the party begins to get famous, have them constantly referred to as "Monkey Monk and the Funky Bunch."
Frequently have young girls ask him if he can get them Davy Jone's autograph
Have people ask him if he's Mickey Dolenz.
Award bonus XP to the other players if they name their characters "Peter Tork" "Mike Nesmith" "Davy Jones" and "Mickey Dolenz"
If they do, start every gaming session with This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FUvLfxyp0)

chrono17
2013-08-28, 07:21 AM
Hahaha, these are excellent ideas. I'm going to do my best to use as many as I can. Thank you guys so much for the help.

snowblizz
2013-08-28, 08:01 AM
Every so often someone asks for him. "Said he was your former master, can't really recall much/didn't say his name, it was man in a yellow hat". Could naturally be a recurring villain. Or "Last night you kept mumbling about being saved from the man in the yellow hat".

George (of the Jungle) could also be looking for his best friend.

Raimun
2013-08-28, 09:02 AM
"As you're about to enter the chief's house, one of his gorillas stops you and demands to see some identification."

navar100
2013-08-28, 11:57 AM
At campaign conclusion, when he is ready to retire his character, he has become King.

Jay R
2013-08-28, 12:04 PM
When he makes a serious tactical error: "You need two more points of Intelligence before you qualify to be called a monkey."

Lord Torath
2013-08-28, 01:27 PM
"Oh come on! It's so easy a MONKEY could do... oh, right. Maybe not."

Does he have an extreme jumping skill? Flying ability? Make cracks about him working for the Wicked Witch of the West.

Refer to him as "Lord Monte` Fisk."

Ask him if he's unstoppable (Ron Stoppable).

Refer to his Ki abilities as "Mystical Monkey Power."

If he gets angry, remind him that he doesn't need to "go ape."

Tell him, regularly, to quit Monkeying around.

Get a barrel. Tell him it's his sleeping accommodations on the road. You heard there's nothing more fun.These are perfect! The "sleeping arrangements" had me choking back laughter!

navar100
2013-08-28, 05:10 PM
After he becomes King, then reveal he is actually a dragon polymorphed by an evil wizard after the dragon dismissed the wizard that he wouldn't make a monkey out of him.

Doorhandle
2013-08-29, 06:13 AM
A bunch of sapient monkeys in the forest worship him as "Glorious monkey king" and "Great sage, equal of heaven." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong) Bonus points for size-shifting staff and magic cloud.

A goblin with a bucket of poop. He throws it at monkey while screaming "ROLE REVERSAL!"

ZeroGear
2013-08-29, 07:49 PM
-Give him a huge appetite
-Frequently have people ask if they could borrow hi "power pole"
-Every-so-often have a horse show up that turns into a dragon
-If he is near a fire, have a sash catch flame, forcing him to run around screaming like a ape.
-If he spots a weasel, have him make a will save to resist chasing it around a mulberry bush
-Have him always get into fights with dogs
-Give him a cape of flying, then have the mage yell: "Fly my pretty, fly. fly!"
-If he sees a hole in the wall, have him make a will save to resist sticking his hand into it. Bonus points if he can't get his fist back out.
-Instead of a broom of flying, give him a nimbus cloud
-Give him a strange craving for peaches

A lot of these make more sense if you know Journey to the West and general Japanese culture.

nedz
2013-08-30, 06:32 AM
Variations around:
"So you say you saw no evil ? And you didn't hear any evil either ? But did you do any evil ?"

Brookshw
2013-08-30, 07:08 AM
Chained to a typewriter when imprisoned.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-30, 07:40 AM
Have him meet a Buddha on the way.

The Buddha promptly casts Imprisonment on him.

Skip forward 500 years and continue playing.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-31, 09:15 PM
Have him meet a Buddha on the way.

Buddhist teaching: “If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.”

Adventurer corollary: "Even if he has no loot drops, he is surely worth much XP, and since he was famous, you can totally sell his stuff and body parts to his temples as relics, for which they will pay handsomely. The enlightened murderhobo needs no treasure table; he sees phat loot in all places, in all things."

Arkhosia
2013-09-01, 04:50 PM
Chained to a typewriter when imprisoned.

Have him be the author of the famous play, Hamletkey

If he sees a carpet, he must make a will save to resist attacking it

Baleful polymorph turns him into a elephant

If a blue genie appears, have him be an old friend.

Lord Torath
2013-09-01, 04:58 PM
In an upcoming game I am playing in there is a player who has given his character the moniker "Monkey." Keep in mind that Chrono17 is a player in this campaign, not the DM. So, many of these ideas, while quite humorous, are not terribly helpful.

TheDarkSaint
2013-09-02, 01:22 PM
If he see's an action, he must do that action.

Arbane
2013-09-02, 02:58 PM
His archenemy is a robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c)

nedz
2013-09-02, 04:15 PM
Have your character turn up one day with a Barrel organ.

Arkhosia
2013-09-02, 04:40 PM
His archenemy is a robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c)

No, make him be allied with a short alien in a black cape and purple helmet named Dexter the Head Alien

...you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about anyways.

Anonymouswizard
2013-09-03, 12:54 PM
First, have you watched the TV series Monkey? It's a dub of a Japanese series based on journey to the west, and this character is obvious inspired from one of these. So, as for ideas on the joke front:

-Ask him where his circlet is. Then have the party priest begin a prayer whenever he begins to fool around.
-Ask his previous rank on the heavenly totem pole. Insist he used to be cleaner of the heavenly stables. Then ask how many of the peaches he ate.
-Enquire about the missing kappa and pig-spirit.
-Ask if you can borrow some of his chest hairs if you ever need some more hands.
-Find some way to use the cloud chariot spell. Then perform the gesture Monkey/Goku uses to summon his cloud, and ask him if it's the somatic component.
-Ask how many magic tricks there are under the sun. Then how many he knows. Complain if they aren't the same.
-Become a god. Then complain about him teasing you.
-Whenever he mentions a direction, insists he means west. Especially if you hear the words 'Journey' or 'Pilgrimage'.
-When you finally arrive at the quest location, complain that it's a fake Gandarah, and ask him to complain to Buddha.

nedz
2013-09-03, 05:14 PM
I think you have missed several references to the TV series. It was based on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West) piece of Chinese literature.

Also it was made by NTV (Nippon Television) not the BBC.

Anonymouswizard
2013-09-04, 03:56 AM
I think you have missed several references to the TV series. It was based on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West) piece of Chinese literature.

Also it was made by NTV (Nippon Television) not the BBC.

Sorry, it has been over a year since I last saw an episode or did some background research, so my memory of everything is fuzzy. I'll just remove the company reference.

Arkhosia
2013-09-04, 07:17 PM
His cousin is the star of the "scary monkey show play", a favorite among eccentric warforged.