PDA

View Full Version : Runestaff for Warlock

pbdr
2013-08-27, 09:07 AM
So, this isn't another thread about if a warlock can use a Runestaff.

Instead, I am wondering about a Runestaff designed specifically for a warlock to use. One that provides daily invocation uses (like the regular runestaff) but is based on invoker level (instead of spell level). Maybe it also provides a daily charge to increase EB damage (3 charges per day, 1 adds 2d6, 2 adds 3d6, and 3 adds 4d6).

I'm thinking of some of spell like "other" invocations, but ones with a duration shorter than 24 hours. maybe 2 or 3 total. (I'm thinking Voice of Madness and Voracious Dispelling) both usable 3/day if the warlock can power it with an invocation of equal or greater effective lvl....

This would be for a 9th to 10th lvl multiclass warlock (heading toward Eldtrich Theurge). The player is getting a bit frustrated with the lack of "good" items for his character and he's done a lot so I want to throw him a bone....

So, any suggestions to add? What to call it?

Diarmuid
2013-08-27, 09:40 AM
An item like this sounds neat, I just think you should call it something other than a runestaff.

You'll never escape the comparisons pointing out the balance issues in runestaves "costing" spell slots, where lock invocations are pretty much limitless.

I'm not sure how to emulate a "cost" for the lock so this just feels like "hey, use some invocations you don't normally have a few times a day". If that's what you're going for, that's fine.

Talya
2013-08-27, 09:50 AM
An item like this already exists: Rod of Eldritch Power (complete mage.)

They can only contain Eldritch Essences and Blast Shapes, but they're pretty much standard warlock gear.

You might also want to look at The Warlock's Scepter (Magic Item Compendium.)

Deophaun
2013-08-27, 09:55 AM
This is actually pretty easy, as most warlock invocations mimic spells, only with longer durations. So you'd price them similarly with continuous or use-activated versions of custom magic items with those spells. But, you'd get a 30% discount for needing to be a Warlock to use them.