PDA

View Full Version : Help With a FR Mystic Heirophant Build [3.5]

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 09:43 AM
Well, I decided on doing something kind of scary with my FR Wizard rebuild.

I don't know exactly what feats I want to have, so that is my only hurdle at this moment. I'll be starting this build at level 5 with 2 flaws:

Bamboo Spiritfolk Wizard 1/Archivist 3/Mystic Theurge 6/Arcane Heirophant 10

Feats: Education, Alternative Spell Source [Flaw 1]

So how can I optimize this so I can be a truly powerful Dual-Sourced Caster?

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 09:58 AM
I know alternate spell source is debatable on prestige class qualifications, but won't the minus in caster level make you unable to cast second level arcane spells at the time of qualification?

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 10:39 AM
I know alternate spell source is debatable on prestige class qualifications, but won't the minus in caster level make you unable to cast second level arcane spells at the time of qualification?

Alternate Spell Source lets me cast any of my Divine/Arcane as the other at a reduced total CL (Minimum 1), so as a Wizard, I can turn a 2nd level divine spell into an Arcane with a CL of 1 (easier save DC, etc.)

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 10:44 AM
If you look at the example in the feat, it says cleric 1 wizard 6. Wizard casts divine fireball at CL 5. 5th level wizard still can cast fireball. 4th level wizard can't due to insufficient caster level. The thing in your post is going by spell level, not caster level. Different things entirely.

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 10:50 AM
If you look at the example in the feat, it says cleric 1 wizard 6. Wizard casts divine fireball at CL 5. 5th level wizard still can cast fireball. 4th level wizard can't due to insufficient caster level. The thing in your post is going by spell level, not caster level. Different things entirely.

So how can I get around this without screwing myself out of spells?

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 10:51 AM
Is there any specific reason why you want the cleric spell list instead of going druid?

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 10:57 AM
Is there any specific reason why you want the cleric spell list instead of going druid?

Archivist gets Druid, Cleric, Divine bard, Ranger, Paladin, Favored Soul, etc as spells available. It's the suite of "I have a large pool to choose from" as my Divine Spell List. Plus, I love Druid too much to dip it.

Psyren
2013-08-27, 11:04 AM
Also, Archivist is Int-based, just like Wizard, so this build ends up (mostly) Int-SAD.

So how can I get around this without screwing myself out of spells?

Precocious Apprentice should get you into MT and will keep your build DragMag free.

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 11:04 AM
They have to scribe said scrolls ( that aren't cleric and somewhat from cleric ) to access those lists which can take from WBL on a per spell basis ( wizards atleast get free spells ). I was saying druid 3 wizard 3 for the wildshape and animal companion. Main features of the arcane heirophant are the wildshape, dual casting, and the super companion. Not just dual cast.

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 11:13 AM
They have to scribe said scrolls ( that aren't cleric and somewhat from cleric ) to access those lists which can take from WBL on a per spell basis ( wizards atleast get free spells ). I was saying druid 3 wizard 3 for the wildshape and animal companion. Main features of the arcane heirophant are the wildshape, dual casting, and the super companion. Not just dual cast.

Psyren also pointed out the sexy Int-Based casting of Archivist.

I think I could grab Precocious Apprentice as my 3rd level feat and Otherworldly as my 2nd Flaw feat (Outsider (native) is kind of sexy).

So now, I'm looking at

1 - Precocious Apprentice, Otherworldly, Alternative Spell Source
3 - Knowledge Devotion (Nature)

What else could prove inherently useful?

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 11:29 AM
I can see what you mean on the int-based. Archivist is part his versatile scribe-ability ( his free spells must be from cleric list ) and part class feature. Seems a waste to stop at 3. Also, dual-scribe-spell-expansion is usually not good.

Tokuhara
2013-08-27, 11:45 AM
I can see what you mean on the int-based. Archivist is part his versatile scribe-ability ( his free spells must be from cleric list ) and part class feature. Seems a waste to stop at 3. Also, dual-scribe-spell-expansion is usually not good.

Well, I'm getting 16 levels of what is effectively Gestalt Wizard/Archivist with some other moderately useful class features (being able to cast Incendiary Slime from a Tree is cool in and of itself) and with MT, I have spell options even seasoned PCs could only dream of (A wizard wearing Medium non-metal Armor with some of the best buff spells in the game at his disposal? So cool)