PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Drow Noble Oracle

Talya
2013-08-27, 09:44 AM
I'm playing an evil Drow Noble oracle in a custom setting, somewhat mature campaign. I've never toyed with an oracle, and I am not entirely sure where I'm going with it.

The DM has given me one extra bonus spell per spell level, prechosen as primarily mind affecting enchantments (they'll see heavy use here.) 25 point buy, starting at level 15.

I'm looking at Heavens Mystery, with Eldritch Heritage: Arcane Bloodline.

I'm not inclined to make her a melee oracle, although I want her to be durable and capable of mixing it up in close combat, be it with touch effects, or status effects from her weapon. She's just not doing damage with a weapon (though she may use one for other reasons.)

Due to the setting, the DM has replaced Weapon Familiarity Hand Crossbow and Shortsword with Bola and Whip/Scorpion Whip. The DM is also using the suggested houserule that cleric/oracle spells that rely on wisdom bonus instead rely on casting-stat bonus.

Current ability scores (including racial and level bonuses):
10 str, 16 dex, 12 con, 16 int, 9 wis, 23 cha
Current feats:
Skill Focus: Knowledge (religion) - prerequisite
Eldritch Heritage: Arcane Bloodline
Improved Eldritch Heritage: New Arcana
Craft Wondrous Item
Weapon Finesse

Where should I go from here? What other feats should I be looking at? Traits? Particular spells you like?

Korahir
2013-08-27, 10:29 AM
I think level 15 is too high for this build but maybe it helps a little:

I just built a BBEG, going Oracle 2 (deaf)/Sorcerer 8 with heavens mystery (awesome display), Spontaneous metafocus (Color Spray), Magical Lineage (Color Spray) and Still spell and heighten spell. The whole build is only worth it if your charisma is high enough to lower the HD enough, so becomes irrelevant around 15. You can pull off something similar focusing on scintillating pattern, but that would only work after level 18.

For pure Oracle builds, i feel like controller isn't particularly a strong suit.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdtrZCESRmVfljXY196wMrMLTnS8Uzk4DEk3oQdVZok/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

here is a very good guide on oracles.

Talya
2013-08-27, 10:44 AM
I think level 15 is too high for this build but maybe it helps a little:

I just built a BBEG, going Oracle 2 (deaf)/Sorcerer 8 with heavens mystery (awesome display), Spontaneous metafocus (Color Spray), Magical Lineage (Color Spray) and Still spell and heighten spell. The whole build is only worth it if your charisma is high enough to lower the HD enough, so becomes irrelevant around 15. You can pull off something similar focusing on scintillating pattern, but that would only work after level 18.

For pure Oracle builds, i feel like controller isn't particularly a strong suit.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdtrZCESRmVfljXY196wMrMLTnS8Uzk4DEk3oQdVZok/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

here is a very good guide on oracles.

I did see that guide.

Ravens_cry
2013-08-27, 11:13 AM
How the heck did you convince a DM to let you play a drow noble?:smallconfused:

Gemini476
2013-08-27, 11:23 AM
Drow Nobles are technically LA+1, by the way. They have CR=Class Level while others have CR=Class Level-1.

They're still pretty borked, though. Or at least at low levels.

Talya
2013-08-27, 11:24 AM
It's a solo campaign, there's no other players to complain about it, just the DM and I.

The setting is on a bunch of volcanic, tropical islands, there is a single deity: a goddess with separate aspects of good and evil. The setting involves the struggle between the good and evil factions of the church.

avr
2013-08-27, 03:23 PM
If it's a solo campaign, do you have goons on hand to finish those you stun or otherwise disable? If not you probably want some decent summon spells or animate objects.

Antilife shell should be useful to you if you're not into melee.

The selective spell feat is handy if you have goons you care about.

Toppling spell and spiritual weapon/ally or chain of perdition has a low enough level that you can throw it around without thought at this level, but is still useful.

Talya
2013-08-28, 10:15 AM
Toppling spell and spiritual weapon/ally or chain of perdition has a low enough level that you can throw it around without thought at this level, but is still useful.

That's a neat idea. Especially as combat will mostly be against other humanoids with class levels, not monsters.

I'll probably frequently have lowbie underlings.

Hey, if you've got the "New Arcana" feature from eldritch heritage, what are you favorite wizard spells to add to the Oracle?