PDA

View Full Version : Paladin and not failing saves on natural 1

Yogibear41
2013-08-27, 10:27 AM
Is there anyway outside of a 1 level cleric dip for pride domain, or steadfast determination to avoid failing saves on a natural 1, specifically working on a paladin build, easier it is to fit into that the better.

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 10:38 AM
IIRC, planar touchstone to catalogues of enlightenment for pride domain power.

Segev
2013-08-27, 10:53 AM
I didn't know the Pride domain would do it; I had thought only Knight 17 could do it (and that's hardly "accessible").

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 10:55 AM
It kinda does and it kinda doesn't. The idea is that you don't roll a nat 1 twice in a row. If you do, destroy the die.

Segev
2013-08-27, 10:59 AM
Ah. Well, the Knight's level 17 power is expressly that 1s are not auto-fails on saves anymore.

Sadly, I know of no other source for this power.

Deadline
2013-08-27, 11:03 AM
The Diamond Mind maneuvers from Tome of Battle work for this. You'd need the Martial Study feat to pick each one up, and they let you substitute a Concentration check for your save (skill checks don't auto-fail on a 1).

As was already mentioned, Steadfast Determination does it for Fort Saves.

Segev
2013-08-27, 11:06 AM
Interesting, but somewhat defeats the purpose of getting this on a Paladin, who probably wants it because his saves are very high.

Larkas
2013-08-27, 11:13 AM
AFB, but wouldn't a Contemplative dip do it?

supermonkeyjoe
2013-08-27, 11:37 AM
The steadfast determination feat from Players Handbook 2 substitutes Con for wisdom on will saves and makes it so you don't fail them on a natural 1, I don't know if there are any other feats for the other two saves though.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-27, 11:46 AM
I think there is some Luck Feat that let's you reroll a natural 1 on a save, limited to the number of luck rerolls you get per day.

Deadline
2013-08-27, 11:54 AM
The steadfast determination feat from Players Handbook 2 substitutes Con for wisdom on will saves and makes it so you don't fail them on a natural 1, I don't know if there are any other feats for the other two saves though.

It only makes it so you don't fail Fort saves on a natural 1, not Will saves. It also lets you use your Con mod for Will saves, but a natural 1 on a Will save still fails.

Chronos
2013-08-27, 12:40 PM
The ToB maneuvers are also limited in that you have to use them up to benefit from them, so you can only do one save of each type before you have to refresh your maneuvers. Which, for a non-ToB class, is only possible by finishing the encounter.

Segev
2013-08-27, 12:41 PM
The ToB maneuvers are also limited in that you have to use them up to benefit from them, so you can only do one save of each type before you have to refresh your maneuvers. Which, for a non-ToB class, is only possible by finishing the encounter.

Or by investing more feats. One feat gives you a swift action 1/encounter 1-maneuver refresh, and another gives you a "spend your psi focus to refresh" capability.

Eldariel
2013-08-27, 12:43 PM
Pride-domain granted power is pretty reliable; it's only 1/400 to roll two natural 1s in a row. If you can get a reroll ability of any kind (e.g. Luckblade or whatever), you're looking at 1/8000 so that should be good enough.

Yogibear41
2013-08-27, 01:06 PM
Are there any feats that give you a domain granted power? Whole if you multiclass out of paladin you can't come back stick, is somewhat painful.

Plan to start with 1 level of monk before going into paladin because I hate acp lol, and have a wisdom of 20(aasimar) picking up wings via the racial feat, using a flaw for the prereq feat.

Eldariel
2013-08-27, 01:21 PM
Are there any feats that give you a domain granted power? Whole if you multiclass out of paladin you can't come back stick, is somewhat painful.

Planar Touchstone from Planar Handbook attuned to Catalogues of Enlightenment, as stated earlier.

Zombimode
2013-08-27, 02:26 PM
I think there is some Luck Feat that let's you reroll a natural 1 on a save, limited to the number of luck rerolls you get per day.

Actually, Dumb Luck lets you treat a natural 1 on a saving throw as a natural 20.

Since it requires two other luck feats it means you have at least 3 luck rerolls/day.

This is pretty close to "not failing saves on a natural 1".

animewatcha
2013-08-27, 02:55 PM
Depending upon the setting, look through the books for things similar to the monk's monasteries. I know there were a few paladin organizations that allow multiclassing a little somewhere. I think mainly faerun books.