PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dice?

ScrambledBrains
2013-08-27, 10:51 AM
So, a question for my beloved Playground...do any of you have a die, or set of dice, that is/are your favorite? If so, what makes the die/dice special to you?

For me, I have both a favorite individual die, and a favorite set. My set is an awesome red-speckled white set that came with my Pound'O'Dice I got as a gift from my family(Which is, besides my love of how they look, why they're special to me.)

As for my favorite individual die, it's a fairly large d20 that I got from my first DM as a gift. Teal-colored, and it has, instead of the number 20 on it, an interesting looking diamond symbol. This one is not too great for rolling(The size makes it kinda wonky.), but it's very near and dear to my heart.

So, how about it, folks? Anyone with a favorite to share? :smallsmile:

Techwarrior
2013-08-27, 10:57 AM
My very first 3rd Edition DnD character was a Human Rogue by the name of Whisper. I'd already been into rpg's for a while, so he was a pretty well formed character.

Anyway, to the topic of the thread, Whisper had d6's, two red each for his shortswords, a red translucent for his flaming shortsword, a blue translucent for his icey shortsword, and a disgusting amount of white d6's for Sneak Attacks. These dice are the only ones to survive the years since playing Whisper, and they almost exclusively get used to roll up characters and throw fireballs now, but whenever I pull them out of my dice coconut, the entire party winces.

obryn
2013-08-27, 11:02 AM
I have a large collection of Gamescience dice.

They get (over)hyped a lot, but something about them is just perfect. I think it's the sharp edges.

-O

Joe the Rat
2013-08-27, 11:15 AM
My absolute favorite is an old blue d12 I inherited from a friend. It's pretty much useless:
1) It's a d12
2) The edges are almost completely worn away. Damn thing won't stop rolling.

My favorite usable die is snot-die, an old "green" d20 that rolls well for me. I have a fresh set of Gamescience smoky quartz which has taken center stage (first time Mrs. the Rat gave me dice for a present), but my hand does not know them well enough to rate their character quite yet.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-27, 11:35 AM
My dice are one big, happy family with a few miscreants. I love them all.

But I do have a fondness for the first set of dice I bought, gotten from a German toy shop. I can still pick them out from my other dice.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-27, 11:37 AM
I am fond of Invisible Castle.

Amaril
2013-08-27, 01:05 PM
My favorites are my black-with-white script elven dice that I bought from my favorite game store, the Sentry Box. One of the worst moments of my gaming career so far was the one night when I thought my elven d20 was cursed and I'd have to get a new one--fortunately, every session since then, that die has rolled really well.

Lord Torath
2013-08-27, 01:45 PM
I've got a "set" of six-sided dice (blue, brown, black, green, green, red) that I collected over the course of about ten years or so. They do really great for me when rolling ability scores for RPGs, but almost always abandon me when choosing sides and determining who goes first in table-top games. Seriously. I roll a 1 or a 2 almost all the time when rolling for deployment and first turn.

Taet
2013-08-27, 07:23 PM
but whenever I pull them out of my dice coconut,

Dice. Coconut? :smallconfused:

Techwarrior
2013-08-28, 01:45 PM
Dice. Coconut? :smallconfused:

Mhmm. :smallbiggrin:

My dice container is actually the preserved shell of a coconut that has been cut in half and has had a zipper placed on it. A Christmas gift from my grandmother that I couldn't figure out what to do with until my dice bag finally split from being overfilled and I needed a new home for my oodles and oodles of dice.

True Story.

Anderlith
2013-08-28, 10:09 PM
A set of blue & gold dice that love to roll high.

I hate the d12 it rolls low. But I have to say that every d12 I roll, rolls low it's a curse I think

kyoryu
2013-08-29, 01:26 AM
My ivory Q-Workshop Fudge dice. These may be replaced by my Fusion Dice Fudge dice.

I'll have to see if any of the Fate dice replace them.

I just like the look and feel of them, that's all.

DigoDragon
2013-08-29, 07:24 AM
I have two black d20s with gold numbers. One seems to roll quite well while the other quite poorly. When a player forgets their dice, I like to hold out both and say "Choose wisely." :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-29, 09:06 AM

My dice container is actually the preserved shell of a coconut that has been cut in half and has had a zipper placed on it. A Christmas gift from my grandmother that I couldn't figure out what to do with until my dice bag finally split from being overfilled and I needed a new home for my oodles and oodles of dice.

True Story.
You put the dice in the coconut and shake them all up...

Kol Korran
2013-08-29, 10:35 AM

True Story.

Damn, I'd love to have me such a coconut!

On subject- While DMing some time ago, I could never quite see well enough the results on the dice, squinting. (strangely just with dice, my vision is fine :smallconfused:) So one of my friends bought me a set of very clear, enlarged dice. I loved them!

In my youth I also had a pitch black d20 with very faint numbers, who always seemed to roll very high. My players insisted I don't use it, but we agreed I can drawit out for one battle in each session. That made them wince. Boy we were superstitious kids...

Dice these days hold no special value to me. Due to some rules that makes players roll all the dice, I roll no more... I miss that a bit. :smallwink:

XnOs
2013-08-29, 12:06 PM
I have a color theme. I use Bright yellow and Orange.

I have 24 d6, 2 d20 and 3 d8. As a Eldrithc disciple, it's pretty much what i need. :)

The d6 was bought when i played my wizard. DISINTEGRATE!

Have a lovely day.

obryn
2013-08-29, 12:11 PM
I was looking the other day, and I still have my very first d20. It was one of the ones from the 1981 (Moldvay) Basic set. Not only is it ridiculously smaller than most of my other dice, it's pretty much a marble. Like, no edges left at this point. I also have my original d10, which is of similar scale.

I need to do something with it...

-O

Ravens_cry
2013-08-29, 12:56 PM
A black d20 with a rather filigree pattern and seriffed numbers that glow in the dark, that was a gift from a friend who went to GenCon, It has rolled well for me, and it has also betrayed me, but I like it all the same.
Another favourite die is an orange d20 with white letters that was in a bar of soup; dice in bars of soup being something a local geek craftsmen did.

hamlet
2013-08-29, 01:23 PM
My Koplow dice. Transluscent colored and fantastic.

Perfect dice IMO.

obryn
2013-08-29, 02:02 PM
Just to repost this from the D&D Next thread, all of your non-Gamescience dice are inferior and produce - and I quote Sgt. Lou Zocchi, Our Savior of dice, here - "perverted outcomes."

http://i.imgur.com/GJ0fHOg.jpg

-O

AttilaTheGeek
2013-08-29, 11:47 PM
I use Chessex (http://www.chessex.com/) dice. They come in plenty of cool colors, which is to me more important than an 0.0001% smaller chance to roll a 20. My favorite color is black/blue with gold (http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Gemini/BlackBlue.htm).

Edit: Obryn, can you put that image in a spoiler, please? It's huge.

Kol Korran
2013-08-30, 01:28 AM
Our group switched to Gamescience dice. It seems to have "fixed" most abnormalities of dice rolls, though one player still rolls on both extremes quite frequently. Our group have mixed feelings about them.

kyoryu
2013-08-30, 03:14 AM
The Gamescience dice are nice, but really in the amount of rolling you'd do in a session, the bias from slightly off dice isn't enough to make a noticeable difference from 'true random'.

Freddrick
2013-09-04, 05:36 PM
For me, I have both a favorite individual die, and a favorite set. My set is an awesome red-speckled white set that came with my Pound'O'Dice I got as a gift from my family(Which is, besides my love of how they look, why they're special to me.)

I have this same dice set. I call it my blood splatter dice and my players HATE them :smallbiggrin:

-Freddrick

The Fury
2013-09-04, 06:38 PM
Oh gosh, I've got quite a few that I really like. I have a sparkley green D20 which is from a set that was given to me when I first started playing tabletop RPGs. Most of the rest of the set's been lost over the years, though I still have the D4 and the D10 from that set. I also have a clear orange D20 which is special to me because it's the first die I bought for myself. Both of them have sentimental value for me because they were both used a lot in the first D&D game I ever played in.
I also have a really big D6 which has been carved from some kind of rock, I have been asked not to roll it for fear of damaging the table. I've named that one "Stoney."
Years ago I bought I dice set with no numbers on them as a joke. I later gave away most of the dice from the set but I still have the D8. Later I carved numbers on it with an Exacto and went over them with red enamel.

obryn
2013-09-05, 12:04 AM
I just got my shiny new Fate Dice.

The sparkly Fate Core Dice, in green, blue, and purple, are strong contenders.

-O

Raimun
2013-09-06, 08:04 AM
I would say my favorite die is my first D20. It's a black die with white numbers. No fancy decoratings or transparency or glow in the dark, no sir. That's how they were back in the day and we liked them that way!

... Or it was just me and there were those dice too.

Anyway, I still have it and it's most likely my oldest die. It wasn't even bought for D&D but for a miniature game that has died long ago.

Jay R
2013-09-06, 12:10 PM
I own a one-sided die (http://www.shapeways.com/model/161789/mobius-1-sided-die.html).

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_161789_230680_1338415732.jpg

Traveler
2013-09-06, 12:41 PM
My favorite die is my black and red dragon script d20. It tends to either roll really well, or really poorly. No other die seems to hit the 20s and 1s so often. Thus, I bring out this guy for the big fights. Go big or die.

Drakeburn
2013-09-06, 01:28 PM
I came with my mother to this store that had a bunch of educational kids stuff.
Anyways, as my mother was looking for something for my little sister, I came upon a few interesting things, like a couple of books with campfire stories inside. But the one thing that got my attention was small boxes of dice, and a majority of them cost 40 cents, and perfect for some gaming. Of all the dice there were, I particularly liked the ones that were black with red numbers in them.

I don't know why they seemed cool to me, but they just were. Sadly though, I didn't buy them. :smallsigh:

The Fury
2013-09-07, 01:14 AM
After looking at Chessex's site I got a pang of nostalgia. Our group used to have a guy in it who most of us, including me, complained about. He'd make pretty obnoxious characters and all, but in truth he was actually a lot of fun and our group's actually over all worse-off now that he's not in it.
He was one of those players that was particular about using a matching set of dice and it was impossible to find replacement dice whenever any of his got lost and he only had the one D6 which made character generation a pain. I remember offering him some loose dice from my own collection to round out his set but he wasn't having it. He had this (http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Speckled%20pages/25334.htm) set. I sort of wonder what he's doing now.