PDA

View Full Version : Variant on my wild shape class feature

Druid
2006-12-19, 12:43 PM
The point of this variant is to stop the I TURNZ INTO A BEAR AND EATS YOU LOLZ madness that is the druid class while retaining the ability druids ability to transform with the power of nature. Under this variant wild shapes can't be used to transform into animals or elementals. Instead, one use of wild shape and a bonus wild feat are gained at level 5, level 6, and every even level after that. In a game that uses this variant I'd probably give the druid proficiencies with a few more nonsucky weapons than just scimitar and scythe.

What say the play ground? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Sahegian
2006-12-19, 01:05 PM
That made no sense to me. If wild shape doesn't turn the druid into an animal form what does it do?

Druid
2006-12-19, 01:13 PM
It's used to power wild feats. Wild feats are feats that require a use of wild shape to activate. However, from a pure power gamer perspective no one in their right mind would take them. The benefits are things like spend a use of wild shape to gain the scent ability for ten minute per level instead of using a wild shape normally to turn into a dire wolf murder machine that also has the scent ability for one hour per level.

XtheYeti
2006-12-19, 01:18 PM
Its good to tame the druid a bit but that just hurts to much. maybe power down the abilities in wild shape and make it last less time

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-19, 01:18 PM
It definately achieves what you set out to do. Almost seems under-powered. I'm not sure really though, I can't remember what all the wild feats were like.

Sahegian
2006-12-19, 01:22 PM
Ah I understand now. They just take on a partial animal characteristic as opposed to the whole transformation. That would probably work pretty well, but I'm not familiar enough with the wild feats to really judge.

Druid
2006-12-19, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't say that this underpowers the druid. You could remove wild shape completely and the druid would still make monks and fighters look like crap.

Some wild feats have pretty good benefits. One feat gives all the imunities plants normaly have. For most classes this would be very powerful. For druids it's a suboptimal use of their wildshape.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-19, 04:30 PM
It is a good fix..

Gonna do something for clerics?

Druid
2006-12-19, 04:43 PM
Nerfing the holy trinity of cleric buffs would help keep them from outfighting the warrior classes and removing divine metamagic would eliminate a lot of the truly broken cleric tricks. Beyond that I don't really know. My books are at home right now and I won't be done with finals until tomorrow.