PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Domain Powers [3.5]

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-27, 05:45 PM
So, I was thinking about domain powers and I think they're kind of impersonal. What if, instead of having domain powers, you had a singular power based on your deity? A campaign variant rule. One that would take more time since you'd have to give one for every deity, but what do you think? You'd still have your domain spells, but the ability would be entirely relevant to your deity. Any ideas on what that power should be?
I have some thoughts:
Boccob - Use spell trigger and completion items as a wizard of equal level

Gruumsh - Gain Favored Enemy(Elves) as a ranger of half your cleric level

Pelor - 1/day spend a turning attempt to deal 1d6/2 levels to undead within 20ft radius (1d6/level to undead specifically weak against sunlight such as vampires)

St. Cuthbert - 1/day per 4 cleric levels, Smite unlawful: level+charisma bonus damage against non-lawful target.

Opinions? Thoughts on other gods? Am I just creating too much work for myself?

OldTrees1
2013-08-27, 06:23 PM
I think alternative class features are nice. However it would be even less impersonal for each cleric player to work out an ability with their DM that demonstrates their personal relation to their deity.

For ideas I would look up the Improved Domain Powers from Dragon Magazine 342 pg 22.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-27, 06:31 PM
So, I was thinking about domain powers and I think they're kind of impersonal. What if, instead of having domain powers, you had a singular power based on your deity? A campaign variant rule. One that would take more time since you'd have to give one for every deity, but what do you think? You'd still have your domain spells, but the ability would be entirely relevant to your deity. Any ideas on what that power should be?
I have some thoughts:
Boccob - Use spell trigger and completion items as a wizard of equal level
Granted Power

Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.

Gruumsh - Gain Favored Enemy(Elves) as a ranger of half your cleric level

Pelor - 1/day spend a turning attempt to deal 1d6/2 levels to undead within 20ft radius (1d6/level to undead specifically weak against sunlight such as vampires) See the Channel Energy TU variant presented in Complete Divine.

Opinions? Thoughts on other gods? Am I just creating too much work for myself?
You're likely creating a lot of work for yourself. With a bit of work, I'm sure that you could find some combination of feats/ACFs/Domains that work.

ArcturusV
2013-08-27, 06:34 PM
On the practical side, you gotta be careful with stuff like that. For example Boccob's power, of all those listed, is by far the most useful and powerful. Depending of course on the availability of magical gear in your campaigns. This may or may not be a problem depending on how you feel about every Cleric you play with being dedicated to Boccob. Or at least a majority of them.

The concept itself is sound. Though if it were me I'd probably expand the choices to say... 3-5 options you can pick. That means that two clerics of Wee Jas aren't necessarily the same. One might have something like 3/day maximize any spell (for free, no spell slot adjustment) that deals negative energy damage. And another might have a "1/day anytime you'd rebuke an undead, you command it instead".