PDA

View Full Version : Lensemen vs Dahak- a non-40k vs thread!

Rakaydos
2013-08-27, 07:00 PM
the Lensmen universe, by E.E.Doc Smith, involves being of staggering psychic power, and inertialess drives that can move planets.

The Dahak universe, by David Weber, involves starships that masquerade as large moons to hide, and "missiles" that are sent through FTL to where you think the enemy is (over light seconds, so if they're REALLy good at dodging they might have already evaded)

Given how ridiculus the lensman series gets, let's limit it to planetary nutcrackers, not superliminal planetarty nutcrackers.

On Dahak's side, the galactic civilization has seen better days. How would the Achultani horde handle lensmen? How would the Empire at it's peak? and how about the state it is in after the last book, after they add the religius world back to the Empire?

Douglas
2013-08-27, 10:30 PM
How would the Empire at it's peak?
The Empire at its peak had a million ships like Dahak. It's kind of funny how overprepared they were - if the dreaded Achuultani threat had actually shown up before the Empire self-destructed, the Empire would have brushed it aside like a less-minor-than-usual border skirmish.

I know very little about the Lensemen series, but in the "Empire at its peak" matchup they'd be up against very large numbers in addition to the tech and ship size.

The Glyphstone
2013-08-27, 11:25 PM
Considering it literally invented the term 'Lensman Arms Race' that scales up to flinging antimatter planets as FTL projectile weapons by the millions, I think the Fourth Empire is going to get its butt handed to it here.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like those are off the table. Still, they also mass-produced tens of millions of battleships that were designed to stop superluminal antimatter planets before they got to their targets.

Rakaydos
2013-08-27, 11:45 PM
Considering it literally invented the term 'Lensman Arms Race' that scales up to flinging antimatter planets as FTL projectile weapons by the millions, I think the Fourth Empire is going to get its butt handed to it here.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like those are off the table. Still, they also mass-produced tens of millions of battleships that were designed to stop superluminal antimatter planets before they got to their targets.

But the lensemen's nutcracker planets wernt quite as well protected as a Dahak class Planatoid, and certiantly didnt have the same level of weaponry.

Now, the Lenseman arm's race is a problem, as it's basically pulp-level plot shenangans- which is why I'm freeezing their tech at Sunbeam level. No leaving their universe to find superluminal planets to bring back, but pretty much everything else in the books is good, without any other "Arms race" developments allowed during the scenerio.