PDA

View Full Version : "You haven't seen the last of us, heroes!" - The (incompetent) villian campaign

bekeleven
2013-08-27, 08:12 PM
A few years back I was in a very fun, sadly short campaign playing a group of quirky, ineffectual villains. The party makeup included (this is a partial list, because we had a ton of people):

I played "The Unknowable One". I was a Shifter whose evil villainous plan was to become everything in the world so that I could safely destroy it. I lived in a lead-lined cardboard box set on a custom magic item of Tenser's Floating Disk and, if anyone knocked that off of me, I had a second lead-lined box underneath it coated in contact poison (I was also coated in contact poison, being a warforged). Since all of these counted as my possessions, once combat began the entire box+disk combo would turn into a dinosaur.
A man with extreme multiple personality disorder. He wrote up 5 or 6 character sheets sharing nothing but race and equipment, and every time he regained consciousness (waking up each morning, or from hitting negatives) he would roll a D% to determine which personality he controlled. One was good-aligned but, sadly, it didn't come up in the 2-3 sessions we played. This is the first of many examples in which the rules were less funny than our imaginations.
A mad scientist (very poorly optimized wizard). He spent most of our fights standing in the back making perform(villainy) checks. In his off-time he made poisons and left them in unassuming places, such as on our food.
One person wanted to build Luigi using a leap-attacking dragoon build he found online. Being evil, he was of course playing Waluigi instead. He would ride when I turned into a fleshraker.
One guy, who had never played D&D before, insisted that he knew enough to design custom classes off the top of his head. He started the campaign as a "Roplemancer", with supernatural abilities allowing him to tie people up or summon "rope elementals". Every time he joined, he would very quickly provoke someone's ire (usually the Servant Soul, below) and be killed, then return to the table 5 minutes later with a 3x5 card detailing his next -mancer class. I also recall the Ninjamancer (summoning ninjas) and the Wetamancer (which it turned out wasn't very useful in forests).
One evil wizard was trying to set up gladiatorial games. I can only assume his ultimate plan involved Tenser's Transformation.
One person played evil Bill Cosby (he was a bard). His goal was laying traps that accidentally killed the party.
Our "designated minion" took a dare and played a multiclass Truenamer/Souknife/CW Samurai.
The nominal "Leader" of our party was a neutral-good Servant Soul with an item of undetectable alignment (not that any of us were competent enough to check). She would subvert all of our plans behind our backs. Your basic "Swap the water main poison with potions of Aid" or "Tell us the BETTER orphanage to burn is the abandoned building across the street".

The campaign started with us taking over an island shaped like a skull for a home base (curiously it had previously been owned by evil creatures), then getting a base near the local city (curiously chasing away some large monsters that would threaten it; our servant soul leader told us that this was "prime real estate" for launching attacks). Anyway, the entire experience was great fun, and I recommend trying it with some good friends, especially if you are all of legal drinking age.

Submit your own ineffectual villain concepts below!

Saintheart
2013-08-27, 11:47 PM
Lawful Evil Monk 20.

/thread

anacalgion
2013-08-28, 12:03 AM
Lawful Evil Monk 20.

/thread

Lawful Evil TRUENAMER 20

Deophaun
2013-08-28, 12:22 AM
Lawful Evil Monk 20.

/thread

Lawful Evil TRUENAMER 20
Lawful Evil Monk 10/Truenamer 10

It's the Reeses Peanut Butter Cup of fail.

Red Rubber Band
2013-08-28, 12:58 AM
This looks like it would have been a huge amount of fun!
Any other details you have of this campaign?

Alefiend
2013-08-28, 01:01 AM

Now, that's sig-worthy.

bekeleven
2013-08-28, 01:07 AM

While a good amount of the party was tier 6 - or tier 1s playing as tier 6 - there were still a number of T3s supporting us in encounters.

I consider mere mechanical obsolescence an easy, but cheap way to achieve the true feel of incompetence.

The true success (or lack thereof) comes from how you play. Every character was required to have an evil plan to enter, and the more it conflicted with the rest of the party's, the better. Yet somehow none of the other party members ever noticed on of their own attempting to knock everybody off.

Don't play a monk to not have options. Play it because your ultimate goal is to meditate perfectly, and that requires you first to bring the world to stillness, one living being at a time. And maybe your meditation is more disrupted by people that spend more time closer to you...

Any other details you have of this campaign?
Sadly, we only ran for a few sessions.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-08-28, 02:19 AM
Allow me to share with you a few villains of somewhat less than stellar competence which I have created to annoy or irritate my players on an occasion or two...

First, there was the Blue Kobold of Invulnerability. This particularly malicious reptilian is completely and totally immune to magic. Not simply as in SR: Arbitrary, this was taken to an immensely ridiculous and preposterous level. Nothing that was affected by magic could affect it. Therefore, you could not use Telekineses to lift a weight and drop it on him, it would just bounce. Likewise, if you had an Enhancement bonus to Strength, the damage your weapon did was affected by magic, and it too would bounce.

Of course, he was still just a single kobold, no matter his magical immunity. If any of the players had realized just how weak he was, I'm sure they would have shed all of their magical gear for ten minutes to get him. And, of course, he couldn't hope to affect the PC's directly either. However he did ruin ambushes, annoy the PC's, alert BBEG's of the PC's presence, but there was one time he nearly caused a TPK.

The PC's were going after a Great Wyrm White Dragon, who was aware of their imminent invasion. So he started using Control Weather to throw blizzards at the party, who didn't have any sort of Rope Trick or other form of magical camping devices. So they huddled around the fire, since it gave a circumstance bonus to Fort saves to avoid frostbite. The Kobold, immune to the magically-created weather, simply urinated on the fire and put it out. Several of the players were one failed Fort save short of permanent Con damage, and at least one had taken enough non-lethal Cold damage to have been knocked unconscious.

Then there was the Classically Evil warlock. He liked to think that he ran Xanatos Gambits, but in reality he was an ineffectual fool whose plans always seemed to unravel at the worst of times. He grew a proper mustache for the expressed purpose of twirling it as he bragged about his nefarious plans to 'heroes' he had captured. Of course, being a Warlock, he had Flee The Scene handy to make good his escape when things did turn sour. He might have been an incompetent plotter, but he was a slippery little git!

I should like to mention Othar Tryggvassen here. He claims to be a hero, but... well... hang around him long enough, and you'll want to throw him out of a window too.

Bonzai
2013-08-28, 08:42 AM
Evil Gully Dwarf Wizard. The Familiar is the brains of the outfit.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-28, 09:26 AM
I'm personally a fan of hyper optimized ineffectual villains. A warforged psion that dumped wisdom and made poison with psionic minor creation at every opportunity. His goal was to prove his construct superiority. This sadly failed when he killed everyone he tried to brag to by pouring poison on himself (gallons of poison splash) as a demonstration.

Palanan
2013-08-28, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost
I should like to mention Othar Tryggvassen here. He claims to be a hero, but... well... hang around him long enough, and you'll want to throw him out of a window too.

Ahh, Othar. I used him in a campaign once--or at least his name and personality, adopted by a warforged duskblade who wanted to be a dashing, slightly nefarious swashbuckler.

He introduced himself as "Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!!" and continued in that flamboyant, radio-show voice for several sessions. He was a recurring foil to the PCs (so to speak), and using that voice for hours on end was really emotionally exhausting. But a ton of fun.

:smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2013-08-28, 11:10 AM

This combination is actually supported with the Words Given Form martial art.