PDA

View Full Version : Glasses of Memory?

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-27, 08:20 PM
So I'm trying desperately to remember the location of this item that may or may not exist. I remember it being a set of magical (or perhaps psionic) glasses that when donned would allow you to remember anything you experienced while wearing them with perfect clarity. The price was perhaps around 2,000 GP and they may in fact have taken the head slot. Perhaps they were intended for apprentices at a magical school? I'm 90% sure they were 3.5 and not PF.

Help me Giant in the Playground, you're my only hope!

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-27, 08:24 PM
Autohypnosis (think I spelled it wrong) is a skill you can use to memorize anything. DC 15 no action, trained only, wisdom based iirc

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-27, 08:35 PM
Autohypnosis (think I spelled it wrong) is a skill you can use to memorize anything. DC 15 no action, trained only, wisdom based iirc

Oh, I'm well aware of that function of Autohypnosis, I'm explicitly thinking of an item though.

Big Fau
2013-08-27, 08:41 PM
I remember reading about that same item in a Forgotten Realms splat. I think it may have been in Underdark.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-27, 08:50 PM
I remember reading about that same item in a Forgotten Realms splat. I think it may have been in Underdark.

At least I'm either not mad or my insanity is contagious. I just checked Underdark and it doesn't seem to be there though.

Nettlekid
2013-08-27, 08:54 PM
It's not exactly glasses, but you may be thinking of the Kiira N'Vaelhar from Players Guide to Faerun. It's a gemstone absorbed into the flesh and can be moved anywhere on the body, and it has a number of functions. The most important one is that it records everything the wearer sees and hears while its in their possession, though a bit hazy and they'll take a -2 penalty to Listen and Spot while reviewing it. But you can have up to 10 hours of recorded material with perfect clarity. You can use Detect Thoughts at will, and project the memories you're looking at into any creature that you're using Detect Thoughts on. You can also use Major Image 1/day to project memories. You also get to use Overland Flight 1/day and get a +2 resistance bonus on Will saves. It's pretty awesome, especially since there's no limit to how many of the "slightly hazy" memories you can store.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-27, 09:09 PM
It's not exactly glasses, but you may be thinking of the Kiira N'Vaelhar from Players Guide to Faerun. It's a gemstone absorbed into the flesh and can be moved anywhere on the body, and it has a number of functions. The most important one is that it records everything the wearer sees and hears while its in their possession, though a bit hazy and they'll take a -2 penalty to Listen and Spot while reviewing it. But you can have up to 10 hours of recorded material with perfect clarity. You can use Detect Thoughts at will, and project the memories you're looking at into any creature that you're using Detect Thoughts on. You can also use Major Image 1/day to project memories. You also get to use Overland Flight 1/day and get a +2 resistance bonus on Will saves. It's pretty awesome, especially since there's no limit to how many of the "slightly hazy" memories you can store.

I did see that when I was checking, and while it is quite good, it's also very expensive and I'm fairly sure it's not what I was remembering. It may very well be, and is a decent fallback.

EDIT: I'm also not thinking of Amanuensis to get that out of the way.

EvilAvocado
2013-08-27, 10:13 PM
Hmmm

This is the closest I could find... Though i'm almost positive it's the wrong item.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:FX_Items#Replay_Mirror

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-28, 11:26 AM
I've checked various places and I believe that the item is likely homebrew. Anyone remember any sort of homebrew like this?

EDIT: Found it, the Demented One brewed it a while back. Lens of Perfect Recall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5866639).