PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga security systems

Immabozo
2013-08-27, 10:02 PM
I had a "because I say so" encounter that almost killed us on our ship mid journey (because I was able to rebuke the "invading" Jedi's mind trick and use it against him) so we installed a security system I consider completely awesome and our DM was never able to break it down.

Ship:
Like the Millenium Falcon, but a bit smaller and in a much earlier era.

Idea:
The entire ship was covered with sensors, not a corner was outside a sensor's view. All of the party members were programmed into the computer and if any unauthorized moving object (life form, droid or otherwise) entered the ship, a fully pimped out and suped up Droidika (the ones that roll and then deploy with shields and big guns) would be dispatched to kill it.

Hardware:
the on/off switch that all of them come with, hidden behind locked plates (but I was practiced and taught were it was, so if it was ever turned against us, all it took to take it down was a UTF check to flip the switch

Fully upgraded shields
Fully upgraded weapons
there was a list like 30 items long of upgrades. There wasn't one upgrade that we didn't take.

Software:
We firewalled the computers, twice, then firewalled the firewalls, setting the computer to not be accessible remotely, except to give and receive info from the droid, which was encrypted and, there was another anti-remote access protection we did, I can't remember. The Droid and security system in all cost us just over 35,000 credits, if memory serves.

And we could ad new okayed life forms and droids into the computer, and life forms with us were neutral, but the droid was deployed to cover the new being, just in case.

It was a pretty solid security system!

Alejandro
2013-08-27, 11:25 PM
A droid? Your GM wasn't trying very hard.

Immabozo
2013-08-28, 01:43 AM
A droid? Your GM wasn't trying very hard.

With shield rating 30 and it did 4D8+20 some odd damage per hit, with two attacks per round, potentially up to six attacks per round for a slight to-hit penalty. At level 6? Yeah, he couldn't beat it with anything that wouldn't cause a TPK or close to it

EDIT I dont think it's blasters could be reflected back to it. It was seriously pimped out

EDIT #2 And when it activated, we all knew it and came running

Waar
2013-08-28, 05:16 AM
With shield rating 30 and it did 4D8+20 some odd damage per hit, with two attacks per round, potentially up to six attacks per round for a slight to-hit penalty. At level 6? Yeah, he couldn't beat it with anything that wouldn't cause a TPK or close to it

EDIT I dont think it's blasters could be reflected back to it. It was seriously pimped out

The maximum nuber of attack possible per round is 4... (against a single target)
and with that kind of damage the droid is probably level 20 (how did you gain a ~level 20 droid at level 6????) or were you just stacking superior Tech (which is impossible (exept up to 2 separate upgrades for a specific kind of legacy item) btw)
Appart from that, very nice if a bit risky (the force can fool sensors and the signal to the "droidekas" brain can be jammed) how much did you pay for it :smallsmile:?

Alejandro
2013-08-28, 08:13 AM

As Waar already pointed out, that's way past your group CL; a single, unmodified droideka is CL 4 and can make at most, a full attack with 2 shots. I understand you modded it, but I highly suspect whether the actual rules were followed.

Now, as for dealing with the droid, one might not even have to. You mentioned that a Jedi tried to get into the ship (or something similar) so we know Force using enemies are OK. Well, just give said enemy the Cloak force power. Once they enter the ship (various ways to do that, brute or stealth) they use and maintain the power. Depending on how the sensors are set up, they may or may not detect the cloaked intruder.

If they do detect it (through, say, body heat or floor pressure or something crazy, though you mostly implied it was optical security) and deploy the Super Droid, it won't be able to attack the intruder, because of their total concealment. It can try to attack a square that it thinks the intruder is in, but at a penalty. On top of that, the intruder will likely be getting a good bonus to Stealth, and can spend a Force Point for more, so the droid may not 'catch' them at all, just constantly search for the intruder it can't find.

So, now the intruder either steals what it is they're after, or sabotages something, whatever reason they wanted into your ship, etc. No reason to try to kill the droid when you can ignore it.

Finally, if the droid does decide to start shooting wildly in hopes of hitting the cloaked intruder, it's now doing (according to you) 4d8+20 damage to the interior of a starship, which is extremely bad for your starship.

Immabozo
2013-08-28, 12:01 PM
You have good points. But it was at least a layer of security, it may not have been bulletproof, but it was still an obstacle to be avoided.

As far as number of shots, it had two guns, each capable of making a full attack. And perhaps It wasn't more attacks, but auto-fire (which I guess is still more attacks) but I dont remember exactly how that one works.

We were able to buy the standard droid, it was military only and we, through amazing dumb luck, its actually a hilarious story, if you wanna hear it, obtained military clearance to buy it. Then, since we had a stupid amazing amount of wealth, another funny story that took the DM by surprise, making it evident that this was the evil campaign, we had the money for it, and we ended up taking the ship from our previous employers. The droid was 36,000 credits and change, I believe. We poured through the books given to us and grabbed every upgrade we could! I think the basic droid was 20,000 and we piled 16,000 credits worth of upgrades.

As far as jamming the signal and hacking into it and such, we designed it against that. The other player (an EXTREMELY out-of-the-box thinker) and I who worked on it for a good 2 hours, designed it as such.

As far as sensors, I think they were optical and infra-red, although others would not have been a bad idea!

We are talking those rolli polli droids in episode 1 that rolled to their destination and the deployed in a slow moving tripod legs and two massive blaster connon arms, with a shield (one we upgraded)

As far as the DM trying hard, we had to blow up the ship (as we took a new, DM handcrafted, far superior, but much smaller, ship. We took the droid though!

You know, we should have added something to alert us, so we could come check on it!

If the droid did sart shooting, we had money to fix it and then fix the problem so it wouldn't destroy the ship. But you have a good point

Alejandro
2013-08-28, 12:24 PM
Individual droid arms don't make their own full attacks. The droid itself can full attack, which means it makes 2 attacks, one with each gun. It can't attack any more than that unless it has Double or Triple Attack feats for some reason.

Given your description, though, it doesn't sound like you were following any actual droid design rules, so there's no point in debate.

Immabozo
2013-08-28, 01:22 PM
Individual droid arms don't make their own full attacks. The droid itself can full attack, which means it makes 2 attacks, one with each gun. It can't attack any more than that unless it has Double or Triple Attack feats for some reason.

Given your description, though, it doesn't sound like you were following any actual droid design rules, so there's no point in debate.

This was also a year ago and reading another post inspired me can post this. I remember there being two firing modes, one shot more and was at a lower t-hit, or something.

But, I do firmly remember that our DM told us that we were gonna play with rules as written, to learn to play and then changed all sorts of things as he saw fit, so he very well could have ramped up our droid.

Alejandro
2013-08-28, 01:49 PM
Firing modes aren't the same as extra attacks. A droideka (or any standard blaster rifle, for that matter) can fire a single shot, or fire an autofire burst. The single shot is more accurate, the autofire burst is more spray and pray. That is probably what you are thinking of.

Also, I'm surprised, if the GM basically let you get away with all that and dumped most of the rules, why did you bother making a super droid? Just droidify the ship itself. Much harder to deal with than just a security bot.

Immabozo
2013-08-28, 07:03 PM
Firing modes aren't the same as extra attacks. A droideka (or any standard blaster rifle, for that matter) can fire a single shot, or fire an autofire burst. The single shot is more accurate, the autofire burst is more spray and pray. That is probably what you are thinking of.

Also, I'm surprised, if the GM basically let you get away with all that and dumped most of the rules, why did you bother making a super droid? Just droidify the ship itself. Much harder to deal with than just a security bot.

Probably. I forget how that works mechanics wise. I think it was 50% damage if it missed?

Oh, that sounds fun! Please do explain!