PDA

View Full Version : Finding that feat: ki barrage

Averis Vol
2013-08-27, 11:20 PM
Hay everyone. I'm building a character, and to sure up some of his defenses I'm looking for a feat I'm pretty sure I came by once called Ki Barrage. It's from some dragon mag, but I cannot remember which; it allows the user to spend a stunning fist attempt in order to create a a mockery of his fists, feet, etc, etc. as a force attack at a range of like 30 feet. If anyone has better skill in the ways of google-fu/general DnD knowledge, I'd apreciate the help in finding it. Thanks.

Hytheter
2013-08-27, 11:28 PM
Hay everyone. I'm building a character, and to sure up some of his defenses I'm looking for a feat I'm pretty sure I came by once called Ki Barrage. It's from some dragon mag, but I cannot remember which; it allows the user to spend a stunning fist attempt in order to create a a mockery of his fists, feet, etc, etc. as a force attack at a range of like 30 feet. If anyone has better skill in the ways of google-fu/general DnD knowledge, I'd apreciate the help in finding it. Thanks.

If you google search "Ki Barrage Feat" it is literally the first result.

edit: here's a link anyway
link scrubbed

edit: wow what a retarded feat
it has Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot as pre-requisites, but specifically disallows their use with the feat
"Attacks made with this feat cannot be also be enhanced by ... any feats or special abilities that affect ranged attacks (such as Rapid Shot)."
What the hell?

If you ask me, it should have far fewer pre-requisites and just be something like
"you may spend 1 stunning fist attempt at the start of a round in order to treat your unarmed strikes as thrown weapons with a range increment of 30 feet"
Much more simple and also much better

Averis Vol
2013-08-28, 12:17 AM
Weird. I spent thirty minutes trying to retype ki barrage into google, and nothing came up. I am disappointed in myself. But yes! it has ****ty pre reqs, I just wanted it for reference. thank you.

EDIT: though the reason I was explicitly looking for it was the fact that it is a force effect, which is good when you are low on WBL and have no weapons.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-08-28, 05:35 AM
You may also want to look at the Ki Blast feat from Players Handbook 2, seems to do a similar thing to what you're asking.

Prime32
2013-08-28, 06:11 AM
There's a few ways to do this kind of thing. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10747.msg179640#msg179640)

Nightraiderx
2013-08-28, 06:52 AM
-scrubbed- Ring the Golden Bell
Not perfect but pretty cool.

edit: done

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 07:36 AM
-link-

Not perfect but pretty cool.

You should probably scrub that link, not only does it not work as is, but I recieved an infraction for linking to that very site earlier.:smallwink:

edit: as for the feat itself, I really think it should use Stunning Fist attempts instead of having its own limit. Having it last a round wouldn't hurt either.

Honestly, something like that should be an extension of the the Fiery Fist Feat, because the current extension (Ki Blast) is pretty supbar.

Nightraiderx
2013-08-28, 07:48 AM
I agree, I always found it strange that it had stunning fist as a pre req
even if it doesn't use any uses. Ki Blast is dissapoint, cool but disappoint.
Only way to get multiple off is to use a
cleric/monk build with RKV 7 and Sacred Fist. Using turn attempts with travel devotion to create multiple uses. and even then not as good.

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 08:10 AM
I think they mucked up Ki Blast in general really. It says
"A monk with the Stunning Fist feat can select Ki Blast as her bonus feat at 8th level, as long as she possesses the Fiery Fist feat and a base attack bonus of +6 (other prerequisites can be ignored)."
But the monk doesn't even get a bonus feat at 8th level - it gets it at 6th.

What I would do Aeris is ask your DM if you can use a homebrew feat which amalgamates some of the mucked up feats they have around the place into something that both a) makes sense and b) is worth using.

Ki Blast
You can focus your ki into ranged force attacks.
Prerequisite:
Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Fiery Fist, Base Attack Bonus +8, Dex 13, Wis 13
Benefit:
You can expend 2 uses of your Stunning Fist as a swift action to activate this feat. For that round, you may treat your Unarmed Strikes as thrown weapons that deal Force Damage and have a range increment of 5ft plus an extra 5ft per point of your Wisdom Bonus. These ranged attacks recieve all the normal benefits of your normal unarmed strikes and can be used as part of a Flurry of Blows. You may switch freely between these ranged attacks and normal unarmed strikes. If you activate your Fiery Fist feat, you can use this feat as a Free Action instead of a Swift Action. Finally, this feat also grants an additional daily use of your Stunning Fist ability.
Special:
A Fighter may select this feat as one of his Fighter Bonus Feats. A Monk who has both Stunning fist and Fiery Fist may select this feat as his 6th level Bonus Feat, even if he does not meet the other prerequisites.

Averis Vol
2013-08-28, 09:43 AM
Love the banter everyone! giving me a few things to think about. Yea, my DM doesn't have a problem with homebrew (Currently using Jiriku's monk fix) so if he sees that it requires feats I can't use with it he probably wouldn't mind changing things up a bit.