PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Still Active On WotC Community?

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-27, 11:41 PM
Howdy all,

I was just curious if people around here were still active on the WotC boards at all, and if so where?

I know the boards as a whole mostly died when they swapped to the new set up with the groups and what not. And now the pieces that do remain active arent exactly easy to find.

I see theres still some life in Magic General and in the main D&D forums, but it just seems like all the groups havent seen posts in years.

I've been a member of the PlayByPost forums there for a decade now and it just sucks seeing them in such a state. I've been keeping the old Terisia City freeform roleplaying alive mostly by myself for going on four years now. = /

Its nice to see the huge amount of activity here on GITP that i've seen over the last few days since I finally got around to joining... I just find it sorta sad that this is one of three sites based on D20 gaming that I visit that all get more traffic than the site that owns the game. >.<

Thanks for listening to my mini rant /shrug

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-28, 02:30 AM
I used to be active on their boards. But for yeas it was mismanaged (under teh gleemax brand), and in the year after that when they drew it back it, they did some decisions that were so dumb that they effectively destroyed all the campaign-setting boards, right when 4e was poised to cover "a setting a year", effectively driving away their potential customers.Being military I wasnt able to be very active during the time the Gleemax stuff went down but I did get to witness the effects that it had. And then by the time I was active again its like they had purposely drove wedges into separating the various components of the message boards.

I can see some of the logic behind why they did the 'groups' , for instance me and the other GMs of the play by post areas now can police our forums without needing to contact a WiZo for every minor problem... But as theres no clear way to connect the groups, I've stumbled upon small communities that were created, struggled, and then died without ever being viewed by more than 20 unique users.

I suppose I'm just being nostalgic because of the amount of time and effort I've spent on that community... and salvaging it seems undoable.

[Terisia City (http://community.wizards.com/terisia/go/forum/view/76321/136957/terisia_city)] for example, a freeform roleplay area, used to get 15-30 unique users posting a day... and now had three unique users, two of which only post on Saturday.

Lord Raziere
2013-08-28, 02:34 AM
I remember Gleemax. five years spent in the most stupid freeform rpg ever. course it put in on the path to where I am now…so….can I really complain?

didn't know the whole WotC community had started to die though. oh well. just as well. WotC seems to have mistaken their own feet for the shooting target these days so…..par for the course, I guess.

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-28, 02:41 AM
I remember Gleemax. five years spent in the most stupid freeform rpg ever. course it put in on the path to where I am now…so….can I really complain?

didn't know the whole WotC community had started to die though. oh well. just as well. WotC seems to have mistaken their own feet for the shooting target these days so…..par for the course, I guess. Yeah, Gleemax is one of the other PbP groups in the same "sub-community" that I've been a part of. I was never to get into their RP myself, it just wasnt my style. I mostly stuck to the RP areas based in either Magic/D&D and the two groups that actually played D20 rulesets.

Just sucks having a player-built community extinguished by company level decisions. And I have a love-hate relationship with WotC, becuase a lot of the staff cares about the game(s) and the players playing them and are actually really cool in person (like Chris Perkins). But as a company they've been driving me away bit by bit for years.

Lord Raziere
2013-08-28, 02:54 AM
trust me, I like freeform roleplay and even I disliked gleemax roleplaying pbp.
it was a mess. it was a nonsensical mess. and worse the people playing in it basically designed everyone to near invincibility, even if they were supposedly not that strong. the only reason I played it for so long was because I was young and stupid at the time. and that was before getting into the tons of arguments and nonsensical rules that started to pop up, and the various rules we gone through. and over time, the membership dwindled and the posting came less often… I wouldn't recommend anyone to play it. it was freeform optimization rules lawyer internet argument hell, complete with at least eleven apocalypses happening at the same time completely in character. it was freaking ridiculous. you saved yourself a lot of trouble.

thubby
2013-08-28, 02:55 AM
i used to be all over the dnd boards before they mangled everything. that was years ago, and it's part of what brought be to be such a regular here.

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-28, 03:07 AM
trust me, I like freeform roleplay and even I disliked gleemax roleplaying pbp.
it was a mess. it was a nonsensical mess. and worse the people playing in it basically designed everyone to near invincibility, even if they were supposedly not that strong. the only reason I played it for so long was because I was young and stupid at the time. and that was before getting into the tons of arguments and nonsensical rules that started to pop up, and the various rules we gone through. and over time, the membership dwindled and the posting came less often… I wouldn't recommend anyone to play it. it was freeform optimization rules lawyer internet argument hell, complete with at least eleven apocalypses happening at the same time completely in character. it was freaking ridiculous. you saved yourself a lot of trouble.Yeah, sounds like you'd have been better off in either MotP or Terisia back in 'the day'. Gleemax to me established its "in" crowd around 2005 or so and since then if you werent one of those people you more or less had a snowballs chance. On top of that was the maze of rules that more or less allowed for "legal godmodding" and its been like a Micheal Bay film =P.

I never had much desire to compete with their massive terraforming engines and armies of mech suits and such... sometimes you just need to be a dwarf with a drinking problem hanging out in a tavern. *shrug*

Zherog
2013-08-28, 10:02 AM
I can see some of the logic behind why they did the 'groups' , for instance me and the other GMs of the play by post areas now can police our forums without needing to contact a WiZo for every minor problem...

That problem was solvable in the version of the forums prior to the gleebook version they use now, but they chose not to use it. (well, actually, not completely true. They did use it for about a four - six month period. They made us moderators, but we weren't supposed to deal with code of conduct issues, just maintenance stuff. It worked just fine, but when the power base changed, they didn't like non-moderators having mod abilities.)

I lost all my energy for that place after spending the better part of a year constantly fighting with Mke Whatshisname to keep the GM program active and the existing play-by-post forums separate - he wanted to merge them all into the Gleemax RP forum, because, hey! They're all play by post games, so lets consolidate.

...sometimes you just need to be a dwarf with a drinking problem hanging out in a tavern. *shrug*

Or an overly amorous elf with a drinking problem. ;)

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-28, 12:34 PM
I lost all my energy for that place after spending the better part of a year constantly fighting with Mke Whatshisname to keep the GM program active and the existing play-by-post forums separate - he wanted to merge them all into the Gleemax RP forum, because, hey! They're all play by post games, so lets consolidate.Hey Zherog, hows it going sir?

Yeah I've had that arguement before with other uses who said they should be combined to spur the activity. But I dont think they realized what a mess that would cause, or how different the various playbypost groups were. Nothing against the the freeform area here, but when I found it my first thought was "this is what they were trying to do on WotC". Multiple game words dumped into one pot...which raises all sorts of logistics issues.

Or an overly amorous elf with a drinking problem. ;)Or...or...

Zherog
2013-08-28, 01:48 PM
It works here because it's developed over time. The problem with merging over at WotC - and I had long, drawn-out arguments over this - would have been taking a dozen or so completely different communities, each with their own cultures, game rules, history, personalities, etc, and forced them to mix together. Some places could have survived, if the goal was to make fewer pbp forums (for example, the Castle of Fun and Terisia probably could've survived being merged together) but there was no way all those things would've worked as one forum.

And you're exactly right about what's wrong with groups - they did a great job of giving the owner the tools to run things. And it even brought in some cool new tools like a blog and a wiki. But groups are isolated, not really a part of anything.

(And the amorous drunk elf was basically my persona on the Castle of Fun. I was either flirting with anything that moved, drinking, or both most of the time.)

Bounty Hunter
2013-08-28, 02:11 PM
It works here because it's developed over time. The problem with merging over at WotC - and I had long, drawn-out arguments over this - would have been taking a dozen or so completely different communities, each with their own cultures, game rules, history, personalities, etc, and forced them to mix together. Some places could have survived, if the goal was to make fewer pbp forums (for example, the Castle of Fun and Terisia probably could've survived being merged together) but there was no way all those things would've worked as one forum.Yeah, I agree completely. A few of them could compliment each other, but to combine all 10+ or so would have been disastrous. Right before they moved to the group concept, they forced "The Gathering Storm" into Terisia... becuase "Terisia had no purpose to the company"

(Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75894/19951742/Terisian_Rebirth_(34;One_Forum,_Two_Systems34;)))"It is perhaps unfortunate, given this context, that the higher-ups want to make better use of the game forums -- in other words, they should be A) active, and B) should have a point (that is, should be clearly related to and useful for Wizards). Terisia clearly lacks both"*sigh*
And you're exactly right about what's wrong with groups - they did a great job of giving the owner the tools to run things. And it even brought in some cool new tools like a blog and a wiki. But groups are isolated, not really a part of anything.Exactly. I've also noticed little things like the "featured groups" never seem to change, so its not like new onces get publicity by making it to the front. Additionally, if people navigate the groups like I do, they have little reason to ever leave their own profile and discover new things.

(And the amorous drunk elf was basically my persona on the Castle of Fun. I was either flirting with anything that moved, drinking, or both most of the time.)Aye, I remember oddly enough. Oh man the various personas I've played out over the years. *Nostalgia*

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 12:49 AM
Oh man ... they've shot themselves in the foot with the last two forum updates...

But they stared right down the barrel on this one.

Zherog
2013-09-10, 08:23 AM
It's that bad?

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 09:44 PM
It's that bad?
Its apparently down again right now and not working on any of my various browers , so let me see what i can dig up from complaining about it yesterday.

Huge blocky buttons and fancy designs chosen of functionality.
Threads only fill 1/3 of the page leaving huge seas of white space on either side.
Even on mobile or e-reader page doesnt fill whole screen.
iphone users seem unable to access it at all currently
All buttons have massive text, but posts have eye killing tiny text
Most text is black on gray, but there are points where there is white on grey, and purple on black ... coupled with the huge white screen its all a pain.
Quotes no longer appear in a box, like the one above, there is no color change behind the font of the quote, so it blends in with the rest of the post.
All posts are showing as "edited" even when brand new.
They warned us anything after Aug 26 wouldnt be kept, but months of posts are missing.
Wiki pages are deleted, or just a jumbled mess of error codes, causing years of character information, games info, and FAQ posts in the PbP areas to be lost.
Old posts through out the PbP area have all lost formating, color, quote tags, pictures, etc
All internal and external links are broken and lead to error pages and dead ends.
You cannot currently privately message anyone
If you're not on the first page in a thread, there are no ways to return to the parent forum without either hitting BACK in browser, or start back from the main forum page.
Avatars and symbols are take up huge chunks of the screen. Four thread posts fill my whole screen even if they're just one line posts.
Half the users cannot log in, the other half have constant problems
Your "my account" no longer shows recent activity, only your photo gallerys and 5 of your groups chosen at random.
In My Account, if one of the groups you want to go to is not on those 5, you click "more groups" and it just picks 5 more at random. There is no way to see all your groups at once.
Most every user I've seen lost half or all of their friends list, to include things like no longer being friends with people like Gary Gygax or Wrecan that you cannot get back.
There is now some weird "follower" system like tumblr or something, I dont know i havent messed with it
Users lost hundreds, and THOUSANDS of posts. Zammm started over at ONE post last night.

Thats what i can think of off the top of my head without being able to access the "bugs and complaints" thread.

[Here (http://i.imgur.com/PY185Ta.jpg)] is a pic showing the preview post nightmare.
[Here (http://i.imgur.com/xHZmAe3.jpg)] is a pic showing that group descriptions are tucked away in a tiny icon with nothing explaining where they are.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 09:50 PM
Also, its worthy to mention... that there is a movement of literally hundreds of people who are seriously weighing the option of creating their own board.

This list includes WiZos. As well as several other prominent and active people.

Paranoria Paradise (the mafia area) wants to bail, YmtC sections have mentioned moving en mass, the entire magic flavor and storylines board is discussing leaving as a group, dnd charop and magic competitive have mentioned it as well.

Zherog
2013-09-10, 10:40 PM
Wow... and I thought the last upgrade was bad...

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 10:44 PM
Wow... and I thought the last upgrade was bad...The last upgrade in 2009 was the worst change to every happen to any website that I frequent.

I would gladly take it back over the flashy, edgy, social networky, unfunctioning pile of shiznit that they dumped into my lap last night.

Like I mentioned above, Miss_Bun, and several others are actually ready to front the money to launch a site and have someone dev the boards. Theres an entire gmail think tank message train going on right now.

When people are willing to pay money to build a site, to get out of using your free service. You have a major problem on your hands.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 11:31 PM
Another Screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/Fx9t9FU.jpg)

http://i.imgur.com/Fx9t9FU.jpg

{image spoilered for her everybody's pleasure}

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-10, 11:45 PM
Because I'm in a ranting mood, and cant even log in on WotC to complain about it

[Another Awesome Problem] (http://i.imgur.com/SHKgx7m.jpg)

MinMax Hardcore
2013-09-11, 12:01 AM
I used to be active, but now I stop going there because of the
new forum change.

It is godaweful and ugly as hell. So I'll be migrating here.

Lord Raziere
2013-09-11, 12:10 AM
*sarcastic, slow clapping*

just…..

*sarcastic, sloooooooooow clapping*

I think they just gone from "shoot self in the foot" to "shoot self in the FACE"

just……

wow.

just wow.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-11, 12:13 AM
I think they just gone from "shoot self in the foot" to "shoot self in the FACE"
Oh man ... they've shot themselves in the foot with the last two forum updates...

But they stared right down the barrel on this one.We should hang out more.

Lord Raziere
2013-09-11, 12:27 AM
Indeed.

Two questions:
1. how shalt we hang out, sir?

2. Any hope that Paizo will someday own DnD?

MinMax Hardcore
2013-09-11, 12:29 AM
Well since I am new here, anybody care to show me around?

I'm a hardcore min-maxer. Time to dump those stats and
put them were it counts.

Lord Raziere
2013-09-11, 12:36 AM
Hardcore, I think you'll fit right in with the 3.5 optimizer guys over at the 3.5/PF/d20 subforum under the Roleplaying one, and the Homebrew forum. as for actual games, they are at the bottom, the Looking For Group is in the middle, the actual games are on top of it, the very bottom is nothing but freeform, and….well the rest is general discussion and media at the top, and sandwhiched between games and games discussion is basically the webcomic section.

have fun, welcome to giant in the playground, leave your seriousness, jerkishness and possibly your sanity at the door.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-11, 01:02 AM
Indeed.

Two questions:
1. how shalt we hang out, sir?

2. Any hope that Paizo will someday own DnD?
However =P ...looks like a laege chunk of my scheduled normally reserved for GMing on wotc just cleared up.

WotC is already feeling the pain of losing a battle against PF and 3.5 SRDs and the obvious huge amount of pirating of content. I really wonder where they money they make comes from

Lord Raziere
2013-09-11, 01:11 AM
Their money comes from Hasbro. they're apparently
getting paid because of the larger company profits
since WotC is just a subset, I think, so they can
absorb whatever money they lose….
but even then I doubt that they will keep paying
WotC for not making a profit if this keeps up
but then again they will always have Magic: the Gathering...

SaintRidley
2013-09-11, 01:44 AM
Bounty Hunter, would you spoiler box that picture, please? It's stretching out my screen severely.

ShadowFireLance
2013-09-11, 01:47 AM
Mine as well, and I'm on a TV. :smalltongue:

Anyways, looks like no chance in hell I'm going back there.

Zherog
2013-09-11, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I was just gonna post what Saint Ridley asked...

Trevor is in a terrible spot. I got to know him a bit due to my various roles on the forum. He's a nice guy. Generally speaking, he does care about having a vibrant, active, fun community. He never actually said so, but I got the impression he wasn't completely happy with the Gleebook fiasco. (Though he did truly believe Groups would help the pbp area. And maybe if they were better implemented, they would've.) He's gotta be furious that he was forced to roll out incomplete software and then made into the public whipping boy.

As for another forum... Costs really shouldn't be that high. phpBB is free and is fairly robust, and has an active community of users who develop mods for the software. And those mods are vetted to be compatible. It does have some scaling issues, so if they expect to get even 10% of the WotC community they may have problems. I never investigated what vBulletin costs, but that scales better. And folks have the advantage of being familiar with it, since it's what WotC had before Gleebook.

If you can guide me to wherever this new forum is being discussed, I'd be interested. PM is OK if you don't want to make it public...

Jessicat
2013-09-11, 12:07 PM
Huh..

I used to be a WizO over there a bunch of years ago. But I left after the ISRP department was shut down and a lot of the community did the same, branching out on other sites before eventually filtering away to die in various corners of the internet. I haven't been back since because I guess I just lost the joy.

The problem at the time I left (and this must have been 6/7 years back) was that even the moderators (who are paid, I might add) did not see a lot of the changes coming and it was a slap in the face to us, as well as the users when big old Hasbro laid down the law. We were cut because the department just wasn't making enough money; so they weren't going to pay people to moderate it anymore. Sad, because a lot of the people were avid D&D players, but eh.. business is business.

IMO they will continue to baby anything M:TG, since it's a money suck, and everything else they could care less about.

Zherog
2013-09-11, 12:33 PM
Yep, I remember that happening. I'm friends with two of your fellow ISRP wizo staff. As somebody who was a GM of a small but active play-by-post forum, I could feel your pain; we also didn't directly make money for Hasbro, and cost WotC some cash for resources - at the very least, server space and bandwidth. They didn't mess with the play-by-post sections until Gleebook came along, when their new community manager thought he could just smash all the different pbp forums into one and everybody would be happy. And things only went downhill from there...

ff6shadow
2013-09-11, 07:24 PM
Yeah, this fiasco makes the whole Gleemax thing tiny in comparison. I'm closing up the Play-by-Post Haven group over there in a few short weeks and leaving for good. Just don't have any reason to stay when the vast majority of our group forums vanishes like a fart in the wind overnight.

I'd love to have a shot at the guys who thought this was a good idea.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-11, 07:48 PM
Bounty Hunter, would you spoiler box that picture, please? It's stretching out my screen severely.Yeah, I meant to come back and do that was busy yelling things on the internet. I sometimes forget that some sites actually scale to that size, and having a big monitor I didnt notice it till i was on mobile.

Trevor is in a terrible spot. I got to know him a bit due to my various roles on the forum. He's a nice guy. Generally speaking, he does care about having a vibrant, active, fun community. He never actually said so, but I got the impression he wasn't completely happy with the Gleebook fiasco. (Though he did truly believe Groups would help the pbp area. And maybe if they were better implemented, they would've.) He's gotta be furious that he was forced to roll out incomplete software and then made into the public whipping boy Yeah there are people screaming bloody murder and Trevor in the bug thread and I keep reminding them that its quite apparent that he was thrown under the bus just as much as the rest of us. Trevor's a good guy, and ive seen him take a lot of beatings over the years from choices that were over his head.
If you can guide me to wherever this new forum is being discussed, I'd be interested. PM is OK if you don't want to make it public...I'll PM you MissBun's email, she's been the main one contacting people from what I can see. Mostly I've been in gmail contact with Bun, SMabie and a few others, and then forum comments with seTiny and a few other PbPers. Theres currently no way to PM people on the boards, and since most of the places we'd go to talk to each other are gone, its kinda rough to get info from A to B.
Yeah, this fiasco makes the whole Gleemax thing tiny in comparison. I'm closing up the Play-by-Post Haven group over there in a few short weeks and leaving for good. Just don't have any reason to stay when the vast majority of our group forums vanishes like a fart in the wind overnight.

I'd love to have a shot at the guys who thought this was a good idea.I wont dare use the phrase "consider yourself lucky" but ... be thankful that some of yourself is around still. Not only am I locked from the GM group now, yesterday 50% of Terisia was still there, and today (after 28 hours of being unable to log in) I log in to find no threads in the group. Its 100% empty , just a few wrecked wiki pages. Everything gone.

I've had Terisia on life support for the past 5 years by myself for the most part. And now have nothing to show for it, and no trace of it even existing in the first place. The old version before the 2009 swap was deleted right before this change, and with the new change I've lost everything since 2009.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-11, 09:29 PM
I used to spend a lot of time on the Map of the Planes under the name Gideon_Gideonson, as well as some time on the Theoretical Character Optimization boards (I believe I still hold the charge damage record with a crazy improvised weapon build).

After Gleemax, however...yeah. GitP was a welcome relief, and I haven't budged since.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-11, 10:03 PM
I used to spend a lot of time on the Map of the Planes under the name Gideon_Gideonson, as well as some time on the Theoretical Character Optimization boards (I believe I still hold the charge damage record with a crazy improvised weapon build).

After Gleemax, however...yeah. GitP was a welcome relief, and I haven't budged since.
Hey I know you! Though its been several several years and we didnt talk to each other to any great extent. But until recently a lot of your work was still in the MotP FAQ and such.

Ironically, I happen to be in MotP right now sending some messages to RudeAndAwake and a few of the others trying to make sure they're up to speed on what the other play by posts are doing.

Good seeing you around again!

Zherog
2013-09-11, 10:42 PM
I used to spend a lot of time on the Map of the Planes under the name Gideon_Gideonson...

I remember that screen name!

I'm still in therapy over Gleebook...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-11, 10:48 PM
Hey I know you! Though its been several several years and we didnt talk to each other to any great extent. But until recently a lot of your work was still in the MotP FAQ and such.

I vaguely recognize the name (Sorry! It has been years though...). So hello again! I'm very surprised to hear some of my work persisted that long though. O_o

I remember that screen name!

:smallbiggrin:

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-11, 11:18 PM
I vaguely recognize the name (Sorry! It has been years though...). So hello again! I'm very surprised to hear some of my work persisted that long though. O_oI've been around WotC so long and under so many screennames that I wouldnt know which one you would have met anyway. Bounty Hunter became most most well known one and the one I used the most once it won a couple of uncon awards and such.

I'm not gonna be upset if you dont remember me, like I said it was mostly in passing.

@ Lord Raziere : I just somehow stumbled upon a group you made...lol..Altermax

Lord Raziere
2013-09-12, 05:34 AM
@ Lord Raziere : I just somehow stumbled upon a group you made...lol..Altermax[/SIZE]

oh that?

tch. that was me years ago when I thought that was a good idea. the Gleemax rules had gotten so stifling and stupid and argumentative and the setting so limited and focused, that I thought I could make a new one and somehow get something more interesting than the same Warhammer 40k-esque-but really high-powered and all packed into one planet-existence.

I say it was like WH40k, because despite all playing super-powerful badasses, no one would win. I mean sure, technically people did win, but this meant jack and squat. My own character was a 10,000 year old wizard inventor DRAGON. thats how ridiculous this Gleemax Roleplay was, sure I still technically like the character and he survives on in a more refined and better designed form so that he is a believable immortal being of magitech and science now, but it was still a ridiculous concept back then. just like the rest of what went around there.
said dragon died eighteen times. I'm not kidding. I'm not exactly sure of the real total, but its somewhere around that mark.

the reason I died so often was because I WASN'T one of the many people either godmodding, or being so well prepared that they might as well be. It seemed no matter what I do, no one would allow themselves to get hurt but me and a few others. fights were long dragged out things, not just because of the constant defenses and such, but also because of various technical arguments ABOUT the defenses and offenses and how this goes against one rule or another, that bogged down the roleplay even more. half the time you couldn't throw a fireball without getting an argument about whether that person could DEFEND against a fireball. it was freeform roleplay combined with the worst in competitive pvp mindsets: be prepared for anything, stamp out anything that could possibly be a weakness, and don't allow a single wound to show upon your form, because very wound is a loss and you play to win.

imagine if everyone was playing 3.5 optimized wizards, but disintegrate, finger of death and limited wish and wish are banned, and everyone knew enough abjuration to basically shrug off anything else. and that isn't getting into how darksteel, y'know the metal from Mirrodin that made constructs indestructible? was dirt cheap. Oh they say that it was actually rare, but almost every character had a weapon or armor or both, made out of it. Even my invention of Lightsteel, a sort of anti-darksteel to counteract it, didn't do a thing about it. meaning you have a bunch of people shooting at each other while constantly hiding behind one indestructible defense or other, and one person won or other only because they won the out of character argument over why their attack did or did not work.

and then there was the fact that everyone had a base, and they applied a similar mindset to defending it. not only were the characters often impossible to kill, but their very bases were near impossible to even get into because they always had some defense that automatically activated when you tried to enter without intentions of peace. combat was less of a thing that happened, and more of a thing consisting of various defenses designed to set off an "I WIN" button after enough arguing to prove why its not an I Win button.

example: one guy was a shapeshifter. I'm not talking about some changeling guy from Eberron who just takes on humanoid appearances, nor am I talking about something similar to Beast Boy where he can turn into any animal he wants, I'm not even talking about a combination of the two. I'm talking about a shapeshifter god. like, he could turn into anyone, anything gain their powers and use them, he could shapeshift his mind to become immune to psychic attacks, name a thing, he could shapeshift into it. his weakness? darksteel. because every time you attacked him, he suddenly became darksteel and you had to use darksteel to cut through darksteel, so the only thing I started attacking him with was, you guessed it darksteel. and even then, HE REGENERATED. and this shapeshifter guy was especially annoying, because he was the biggest jerk around, he knew he was the biggest jerk around, and he reveled in it, he kept bothering and bothering me specifically for some reason I cannot fathom, and his character was even more of a jerk! in the later years, he would be responsible for most of the bad rules, forum politics and arguments after many others left. I don't know what the pacifist guy saw in him after like, four to five years playing with him? I mean pacifist guy was a reasonable board leader when he was on the job, but for some reason he listened to the rules lawyer way too much.

I'm actually surprised that I turned out this well, because Gleemax RPG was like, my first experience actually freeform roleplaying, or y'know. roleplaying at all. for most of my run on Gleemax, I hadn't discovered DnD 3.5 yet. I was completely ignorant of every roleplaying system ever. of course it was Gleemax that made me discover DnD, but thats beside the point.

and I talked about ancient history long enough. the past is past. Gleemax in the later years was always dying a slow death, and it became a graveyard long before this forum change came along. there is no hope of it coming back ever again and good riddance.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-12, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I never actually did anything of merit in GleemaxRP, the only time I ever posted there I made a tavern of sorts becuase I was bored and Terisia City was on another one of its hiberation cycles. And people couldnt fathom the concept that there was just a tavern, and you could get drinks in it... and people just sat and talked while a band played music.

In my opinion Map of the Planes and Terisia were the two freeform groups.
Core Cloesium was the competitive PVP group.
And Gleemax was a perversion of both.

I never considered it freeform roleplay, if I had a booklet of rules about units and weapons and bases and such that was more that any set of d20 rules I've ever seen.

Zherog
2013-09-12, 09:34 AM
hey, now! Castle of Fun was a freeform RP, too! Don't be hatin' just because we were essentially a cross between looney tunes and the three stooges...

and if you'll excuse me, I must now go flog myself for intentionally using such poor grammar ...

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-12, 09:43 AM
I wasnt forgetting about CoF, it just had the specific strategic advantage of not taking itself to seriously. And thus wasnt in 'competition' with the other freeform areas. MotP users seem to have a bad opinion of GRP and vice versa.

CoF was just its own little slice, where you could swing by, throw a pie in a dwarf's face, and go on about your day.

Ichneumon
2013-09-12, 10:11 AM
I used to be active on the WotC boards under the username Izodor Shadowcaster. It was fun, but I left when things changed. I have happy memories of it though.

rude_and_awake
2013-09-12, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I never actually did anything of merit in GleemaxRP, the only time I ever posted there I made a tavern of sorts becuase I was bored and Terisia City was on another one of its hiberation cycles. And people couldnt fathom the concept that there was just a tavern, and you could get drinks in it... and people just sat and talked while a band played music.

You ought to try opening that tavern again, when things are settled down. I will definitely stop by. (I could do with a White Russian or just some good coffee.)

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-12, 01:02 PM
You ought to try opening that tavern again, when things are settled down. I will definitely stop by. (I could do with a White Russian or just some good coffee.)Salutations stranger.

The fact that I cannot surf the WotC boards at work during the day, coupled with the most recent upheval means I wont have too much of a presence there but once things settle I always end up lurking back through and trying to find my way.

rude_and_awake
2013-09-12, 01:33 PM
Ditto.

(....Deeply resent that this site refers to me as a pixie. Like, knife in your intestines deep.) *scowl*

Lord_Gareth
2013-09-12, 01:40 PM
I used to post extensively on Map of the Planes and still screw around in You Make the Card at times (I was Lord_Gareth there as well, though these days I'm Jessica_Morgan. Long story).

Zherog
2013-09-12, 01:53 PM
... though these days I'm Jessica_Morgan. Long story).

Heh. I remember that name, too.

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-12, 02:58 PM
Ditto.

(....Deeply resent that this site refers to me as a pixie. Like, knife in your intestines deep.) *scowl* Its based on post count. We're not supposed to talk about it, but at like 50 posts it changes to Halfling, then Dwarf and works its way up.

I used to post extensively on Map of the Planes and still screw around in You Make the Card at times (I was Lord_Gareth there as well, though these days I'm Jessica_Morgan. Long story). I remember that name as well!

Lord_Gareth
2013-09-12, 03:01 PM
I remember that name as well!

Good memories?

Bounty Hunter
2013-09-12, 03:42 PM
Nothing but...:smallwink:

I cant think of any users I had a real problem with on WotC... the closest I got was some players who were uncomfy with my particular way of playing Mafia , but outside the mafia games I've made nothing but friends over there.

Big Mac
2013-09-15, 10:35 AM
I'd plug my own forum on WotC once again, except my old account seems to have been disabled.

You will never achieve the "Spammer in the Playground" forum rank at that rate.:smallyuk:

Have you considered setting up a new account (or asking one of your minions to post a link on your behalf).:smallwink:

rude_and_awake
2013-09-18, 08:28 AM
I think most of what everyone's doing right now -everyone who hasn't just bailed anyway- is waiting to see if WotC actually DOES anything before they take their foot off the end of the gangplank... And also going stir-crazy in the meantime. It's boredom that'll get ya. The patient, lurking killer.

Eldariel
2013-09-26, 10:29 AM
I used to be active in Magic (Casual Play) for god-knows-how-long and once I got to D&D 3e, on Char Ops but after the crap with Autumn and the reorganization, complete lack of listening to the users and what-not (terrible management), I quit and kinda never looked back. Hell, that's how I initially ended up being active on Giants in the first place.