PDA

View Full Version : Grappler-Caster, a viable possibility, or a fever dream?

Crukul
2013-08-28, 02:17 AM
So I was looking through Homebrew races, trying to pick out something for a generic arcane caster, when I came across a tune that caught my ear-balls by the name of Cecaella (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Cecaella_(3.5e_Race)). I also got my ass kicked in a practice fight as a generic caster because I got grappled, character was a Halfling though.

So back-story out of the way, I want to make a character who is primarily an arcane caster, but can also manage a grapple if they want.

So I need help with feats (aside from the obvious Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple), equipment, etc to make a character competent at grappling, as I've never done anything like this before.

It should be pretty obvious I'm not out for optimization, but is this idea at least viable?
Or if the idea of a caster-grappler isn't viable, is something like a pure grappler an achievable idea? I'm just obsessed with this idea at the moment.*

Oh, and other info, starting ECL is 5, flaws are allowed, and I can use pretty much any source, since our GM is okay with anything so long as I run it by him and he gives the OK.

Oh and thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it!*

icks
2013-08-28, 02:53 AM
You should play full caster and grapple with Bigby hands serie of spells and/or summon monster (gorilla's), enlarge it and/or boost its strengh.
The cheesy final, you cast offensive spells (on ref ST) while your opponement is maintain merciless :xykon:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-08-28, 03:21 AM
Warning, a bit of language: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=13119

Essentially you can use wizard class features and spells to out-grapple a mundane grappler. Once you can polymorph it becomes insane.

Jeff the Green
2013-08-28, 03:33 AM
I'll start by suggesting you look at my shriveled sacred serpent build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15803441&postcount=32) from the last Zinc Saucier. It can be deconstructed a bit to make it more playable in a real campaign:

Gravetouched ghoul is handy, but not necessary. It becomes crippling at low levels or without LA buyoff, so if you're not using buyoff find another way to get natural attacks.
Bloodstorm Blade is very nice, but not necessary if you don't care too much about initiating grapples at range. If you don't care about that, you can skip it entirely and go with a level of crusader instead.
Delaying your martial adept level until 9th level will get you the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance, which will give you constrict.
Prestige bard is entirely unnecessary.
You probably want to get to Wu Jen 7th level spells as soon as possible to get giant size.

So, a revamped version might be Wu Jen 8/Crusader 1/Dragonslayer1/Abjurant Champion 5/JPM 5. You'll get 9th-level spells, CWotM, and BAB 16, but won't be able to start grapples at range, which isn't terribly important anyway.

Thanatosia
2013-08-28, 03:40 AM
The best part would be those spells like Body of the Sun that are designed to deter grapplers.... but in your hands just punish your poor grapple victems instead.

Firebug
2013-08-28, 06:20 AM
From the Spell Compendium:

Fearsome Grapple (level 2, sorc/wiz): Immediate Action, lasts 1 round/level. Grants a +4 circumstance bonus to grapple checks, if your caster level is 9 it upgrades to +8. Persist/item/whatever it.

Girallon's Blessing (level 3 sorc/wiz) grants 2 additional arms, with claw attacks and rend + Fuse Arms (sorc/wiz 2) for a net gain of +4 strength.

Balor Nimbus (level 2, sorc/wiz): Standard Action, lasts 1 round/level. Automatically deals 6d6 fire damage to any creature grappling you, or when you grapple a creature.

If you can convince your DM to allow you to have a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Persistent Spell you can have most of these permanently.

Claws of Darkness (level 2 sorc/wiz): 1 round/level you gain 2 claws that do 1d8 cold damage, touch attacks, reach. If you grapple you do claw damage with a successful grapple check and the grappled target is slowed unless it saves.

Corrosive Grasp (level 1 sorc/wiz): 1 touch/level for 1d8 acid damage, if you deal this damage with a grapple its in addition to whatever other damage you deal on a grapple. So stacking, non-charge holding extra damage.

Edit: And of course the core spells:
Enlarge Person/Reduce Person, Bull's Strength, Alter Self, Polymorph, Tenser's, Grease...
Bite of the Werebear/boar/rat/tiger/wolf for more strength and some natural attacks and natural armor and some misc feats.
More Edits: adding more spells as I find them.

Darrin
2013-08-28, 07:14 AM
The Grapplemancer (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grapplemancer_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)) has a +26 grapple modifier by ECL 3. So... somewhat viable, until freedom of movement gets to be more commonplace. Fortunately, a Grapplemancer can dispel FoM, so... strap on the tentacles and go to town.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-28, 08:01 AM
A Wu-Jen based gish could be interesting, Giant Form will let you grapple anything you want, though dipping fighter and going into gish classes is a really good option.

Octupus familiar (Stromwrack) also gives a +2 (+4?) bonus to grapple so get one (and a jar of seawater to keep him alive)