PDA

View Full Version : Am-Ral -- Build Suggestions? (What one magic item can inspire)

Maginomicon
2013-08-28, 04:54 AM
I recently saw this, the Kiira N’Vaelahr. (PGtF p123)

http://gyazo.com/2d82b1d1a911f55b55030ce1b4a328b8.png
If I personally could in real life wish for one D&D magic item, it'd be that, even if I were to toss out the bonus to will saves, the overland flight, and the ability to read other people's minds.

It's that appealing to me on a personal level.

Thus, I want to build a character whose "destiny" involves first finding one somehow (as a required step, more vague destiny BS to be revealed afterward).

So far, I only have an ECL 1 build, but I'm thinking of taking factotum for some period (as my favored class) for all the juicy flavor and thematic synergy it entails.

The Build So Far:

Am-Ral Doran

LN Human

FLAW: Vulnerable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) for FEAT: Bind Vestige (ToM pp72-73)

TRAIT (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm): Suspicious
TRAIT (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm): Polite

Human Bonus FEAT: Investigate (ECS pp55-56)

Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Spontaneous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) Cleric (of "truth") 1

Replaces turn undead with the Justicar ACF (Dragon Magazine #353 page 89):
+2 bonus on Sense Motive. Auto-stabilizes things I put into negative hitpoints.

FLAW: Ponderous Spellcaster (Dragon #326 p91) for FEAT: Wedded to History (Wanderer) (D354 pp54-55)

Spells Known:

0th - Message
0th - Detect Magic
0th - Read Magic
0th - Light
1st - Wieldskill (Magic of Faerun page 134) or Unseen Servant (if the GM forces the PGtF version of Wieldskill)
1st - Detect Violence (Dragon Magazine #323 page 72)
1st - Omen of Peril (SpC p149; from Destiny Domain)
1st - True Strike (from Fate Domain)

Destiny Domain (RoD p163) and its granted power
Once per day as an immediate action, you can grant a willing creature within 30' the ability to reroll an attack, save, ability check, or skill check. You must be able to see the creature to be affected. You cannot use this power on yourself.
Fate Domain (SpC p274) and its granted power
You gain the uncanny dodge ability. If you have another class that gives you uncanny dodge, your cleric levels add to that class's levels for determining when you gain the improved uncanny dodge class feature (PH 26).

Trade Knowledge Domain for FEAT: Knowledge Devotion

1st-Level FEAT: Travel Devotion

The Backstory:

Am-Ral, somehow, in the distant past, found a way to embrace immortality without altering his fundamental nature. Rather than become undead, he simply endured, the years mingling into decades and the decades into centuries.

Endless (from the Wedded to History feat): A creature with this special quality ceases to age once it achieves a certain point in its life cycle, most often some time after reaching adulthood but prior to its equivalent of middle age. These creatures exist in a special kind of physiological stasis, counteracting all the consequences of advancing years that usually lead to frailty and eventually death. While they must still perform all the necessary sustaining actions (eating, sleeping, breathing, and so on) normally demanded of their type, they never suffer from any sort of physical deterioration or consequent reduction in Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. Lacking this special insight into their own mortality, and the incentive to find new, less taxing ways to deal with challenges, they also never gain any improvements to their Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma due to advancing age.

While the exact reason for his immortality seems to be forgotten, Am-Ral has a hunch that some great being of chaos, possibly from the Far Realm, stripped him of most of his abilities, forcing him to begin anew. Perhaps whoever or whatever stripped his abilities also gave him his immortality. In his weakened and abandoned state, he might never know. (Thus, he has the Vulnerable flaw)

Jaded, unflappable, in the course of Am-Ral's extraordinary span of years he has encountered everything at least once. Nothing surprises him anymore, and due to decades of dabbling he possesses a startling array of talents and skills, including a facility for the rudiments of virtually any language. Witness of wonders to stir the heart and horrors to shock the ages, his resourcefulness borders upon the mythical.

Wanderer (from the Wedded to History feat): You may attempt to use any trained-only skill even if you have no skill ranks in it, although you take a -2 penalty on the check. Further, you may try to communicate in any known language, requiring a successful DC 15 Intelligence check to get your meaning across.
Filled with an unsettling desire to discover the cause of his fall and immortality, he branched out to the Far Realm, making pacts with the alien entities there in a search for information and knowledge. Based his travels, investigations, and research while under their influence, he learned of a magical stone, a Kiira N’Vaelahr, that might be able to restore his memory to perfect clarity. Something in his bones told him he was on the right track. (Thus, the Bind Vestige feat)

Wherever he wandered, the people that had information that might help him recover his memory or the Kiira N’Vaelahr seemed to constantly be either turning up dead on his arrival or mysteriously dying some time after his departure. From these numerous seemingly-unrelated deaths (some of them murders, some... apparent accidents), he developed a knack for determining what exactly happened at the scene. None of the deaths appeared connected in any way, but all the same whenever his reputation preceded him he was often discreetly ousted onward to the next town by the guards. (Thus, the Investigate feat)

Am-Ral's zealous world-wide search for truth in time from his solitary contemplative journey began to awaken magical abilities long lost, this time manifesting as seemingly-divine talent. He had no time or solace to give to a religion or significant hope to ask for power from a higher cause, but somehow despite his methodically slow casting style he learned how to channel divine energies without preparation. (thus, he's a Cloistered Spontaneous Cleric with the Ponderous Spellcaster flaw and the Travel Devotion feat)

Non-Level character options currently being considered:

Packrat (The enhancement feat for the Wanderer backstory option)

Packrat: You may carry up to a maximum of 10 gp/level worth of items without recording their exact nature. This allows you to -- Assuming you retain access to your gear -- subsequently designate all or part of this amount to immediately add a desired item to your equipment list. You must spend 8 hours shopping in a town to replenish this gear.

Healing Devotion (Feat CC p59; for the fast healing?)

What I want to know is:

1. Any thoughts on the backstory itself. Brainstorming on what specifically you'd like added to the character's flavor and/or backstory would be welcomed.

2. Any thoughts on how many levels of factotum I should take. I want to try to become a good all-around effective knowledge-oriented factotum that dabbles in just about everything relevant.

3. Any thoughts on what prestige classes would fit well with the backstory, or at the very least synergize well with a 1-level-cleric-dip/factotum like I have.

What I don't want to hear:
That opting out of turn undead is a bad idea. Yes, I know divine feats are a thing. I don't care. Turn undead (prior to Opportunistic Piety) doesn't mesh well with the character concept. The justicar option, however, meshes really well.