PDA

View Full Version : Best Bounty Hunter-like class?

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 06:23 AM
GM of my group started out as a regular player, but when our first GM had to retire because of increasing workload in his job, he took over.

For a while he used his old character, while managing our games, but lately he decided to kill off his Druid, as he felt it was unfair to other players.

So we want to introduce some bounty hunters, that would slay his character, and maybe capture one, or two PC's, as a plot hook for a rescue mission-type quest.

Now, I've read through several treads of this fine forum, and found out that there are (At least...) three classes with bounty hunter flavour:

Justicar from "Complete Warrior"

Bloodhound from "Complete Adventurer"

Crimson Scourge from "Cityscape".

Which of them would be the best one to take on a big group of adventurers [8 characters], six of whom have magical abilities [Two Wizards, Druid, Psion, Cleric, Factotum, and Paladin]?

Or maybe there are other classes, that would be better? If I recall correctly, there was a bounty hunter-like class in Pathfinder too...

Thanks in advance, for any help.

Darrin
2013-08-28, 07:10 AM
Justicar from "Complete Warrior"

Considered to be weaksauce. It was the secret ingredient for Iron Chef XXXVII (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255215), so that thread might be worth a perusal if you're looking for build ideas.

Bloodhound from "Complete Adventurer"

Somewhat more interesting: Str damage when attacking your mark, Freedom of Movement is very nice, but several class features can be easily replicated via spells/magic items. The biggest problem is many of its class features only work against your mark or when you're looking for somebody, which means they aren't all that useful when you're not looking for bounties. Thus, a straight Ranger 20 that takes Subduing Strike (BoED) probably will have more utility and be more effective than one that PrCs into Bloodhound.

Crimson Scourge from "Cityscape".

Overall, not that impressive, but there may be a couple hidden gems in here for a specific build. The Painful Strike can be replicated by any Ranger access to the hunter's mercy spell (PHBII). Threaten (Ex) might be interesting in a Fear-based build, as it offers demoralize as a move action (which, as far as I know, is only otherwise available as an armor enhancement in Drow of the Underdark). Deadened Hide (Ex) could be quite handy if you manage to pick up Troll-Blooded or some other type of Regeneration, as immunity to nonlethal damage is a bit rare outside of Warforged Charger. The capstone ability is a laughable disappointment: if you need Scent (Ex), you can buy a dog for 25 GP. Or a donkey/mule is even cheaper.

Which of them would be the best one to take on a big group of adventurers [8 characters], six of whom have magical abilities [Two Wizards, Druid, Psion, Cleric, Factotum, and Paladin]?

If ToB is available, play a Warblade or Crusader and take Subduing Strike from BoED. Buy some business cards that say "{your name}, Bounty Hunter". Hit things until they stop moving, take their stuff, collect bounty. Done.

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 07:24 AM
Thanks for Your suggestions, I will surely read Iron Chef XXXVII, for ideas.

But it is kind of disappointing, that none of the classes I wanted to use is really good.

Still, It is a common problem with D&D 3.5, that a lot of classes looking cool on paper, are next to worthless, when actually playing them (I'm looking in your direction Soulknife, Truenamer, and Monk!).

As for ToB classes, It is a nice idea, especially in combination with Human Paragon, and Iaijutsu Focus.

I do not know if it's going to work, but a Swordsage, or Warblade, with Gnomish Quickrazor proficiency, and Maneuvers like Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Death From Above, or White Raven Strike should get a reasonable damage, so I'll probably try this route.

Once again, thanks for Your help.

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 07:33 AM
A Ranger, possibly with varying urban variants, and favoured enemy in the expected bounty could work as a bounty hunter.

Though really, a bounty hunter could be anything; being a bounty hunter is more about the bounty than the means of getting it. Could even be a Sorcerer, securing targets via arcane means.

Greenish
2013-08-28, 08:40 AM
As for ToB classes, It is a nice idea, especially in combination with Human Paragon, and Iaijutsu Focus.

I do not know if it's going to work, but a Swordsage, or Warblade, with Gnomish Quickrazor proficiency, and Maneuvers like Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Death From Above, or White Raven Strike should get a reasonable damage, so I'll probably try this route.A warblade or a swordsage should probably get reasonable damage with a fist-sized rock and no feats. :smallwink:

That said, warblade benefits from decent Int, and swordsage comes with 6+int skills, so either one combined with Human Paragon and Able Learner for the relevant skills would make for a good non-magic-user bounty hunter. A dip to rogue (I like martial feats rogue from UA) would also work if not human.

With a bit of adaption, PF Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) could also handle the role if you want to mix in some magic.

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 08:58 AM
A warblade or a swordsage should probably get reasonable damage with a fist-sized rock and no feats.:smallwink:

True that, my character in this campaign is a Charger-type Warblade that kills dragons with the one hit. And he's not even really optimized.

That really pisses of our Half-Fiend Fighter :)

Because of such characters I needed a strong bounty hunter against our group, cause we are a bunch of incurable MinMaxers.

That said, warblade benefits from decent Int, and swordsage comes with 6+int skills, so either one combined with Human Paragon and Able Learner for the relevant skills would make for a good non-magic-user bounty hunter.

I was thinking of giving this character Mage Slayer, and Pierce Magical Protection Feats, as our Psion, Cleric, and Wizards are glowing from all those AC enhancing spells, and it would be quite hard to defeat them otherwise.

But those Feats kinda eliminate character using them from practicing magic, so it would be impossible to make him a traditional Gish.

But maybe I'm missing some easier way to get around spell enhanced AC...

With a bit of adaption, PF Inquisitor could also handle the role if you want to mix in some magic.

That could work too, if my GM wanted religious flavor. We use quite a bit of rules from PF anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Psyren
2013-08-28, 09:13 AM
With a bit of adaption, PF Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) could also handle the role if you want to mix in some magic.

Came here to suggest this, Inquisitors fit the Bounty Hunter flavor quite well.

Telonius
2013-08-28, 09:28 AM
A Wildhunt Shifter Ranger/Weretouched Master with the Shifter Ranger ACF's would be good as a Bounty Hunter.

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 10:15 AM
Well, this Ranger/Weretouched Master combo could work too.

Add Warshaper, and we would get super-strong mobile meat grinder with healing factor, that works as a Bounty Hunter. Now, where did I saw something like that before?

No idea.

But if I'm going to make such character, his name would be Lobo :smallbiggrin:

At this rate, I would have to make a group of bounty hunters, instead of one with hired mooks, as I've planned.

And of course, thanks for the idea.

nolongerchaos
2013-08-28, 02:47 PM
You could also use Inevitables if you can find reasons for one of them to hunt the Druid. They aren't really bounty hunters, but they are, after a fashion, hunters nonetheless and pretty fun.

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 02:54 PM
That's just evil. I like it! :smallbiggrin:

I can't really think about why an Inevitable would target a Druid, but our Wizard is set on becoming a Lich, so maybe a little Marut would show up, and accidentally squash Druid too...

Really nice idea.

Psyren
2013-08-28, 03:22 PM
I can't really think about why an Inevitable would target a Druid

That one's easy! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm)

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 03:29 PM
Well, not really.

If I recall correctly using magic to reverse death is not a crime according to Maruts. It only works if a character does this on a large scale, so our Druid would have to resurrect a whole city, or something like that, to get some attention from Inevitables.

Otherwise Maruts would be most common encounter for all adventuring heroes...

angry_bear
2013-08-28, 03:43 PM
Group of evil druids looking to take out the competition? Could be the best, and would create an interesting adventure hook...

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 03:48 PM
Group of evil druids looking to take out the competition?

That would be fun... Like for example group of Blighters, ambushing our team in the middle of the forest.

Wildshaped into undead Fleshrakers, powered up with Venomfire.

Another ordinary day for adventurers... :smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-08-28, 03:50 PM
Well, not really.

If I recall correctly using magic to reverse death is not a crime according to Maruts. It only works if a character does this on a large scale, so our Druid would have to resurrect a whole city, or something like that, to get some attention from Inevitables.

Otherwise Maruts would be most common encounter for all adventuring heroes...

The thing is, resurrection does not bypass the natural order - If you got killed while Venerable, you will come back Venerable, and eventually you will die for good. Reincarnate meanwhile resets you to "Young Adult" every single time you use it. So long as you kill your target (or yourself) before they die of old age, you can effectively make them immortal. And that WOULD get a Marut's attention, you can be sure.

No, they wouldn't have to raise a whole city - just one powerful individual, endlessly.

Guyver87
2013-08-28, 03:55 PM
My bad, thanks for clarifying that.

That way it could work, so maybe we would be able to use it.

One short thread, yet so many cool ideas... I love this forum.

SciChronic
2013-08-28, 04:11 PM
Personally i feel that a Factotum would make an exccelent bounty hunter. Bounty Hunters would need to be able to take down targets ranging from wizard to fighter, and they would have to be extremely flexible in their capabilities. Something like Daud and The Whalers from Dishonored, though less assassination (though easily doable if the target is too much trouble alive, and the bounty is okay with DoA) and more capture and subdue.

gorfnab
2013-08-28, 11:33 PM
Here is a Mage Slayer/Hunter build I came up with a while ago.

1. Ranger - B: Track, Weapon Focus: Guisarme, Arcane Hunter ACF
2. Barbarian - Spirit Totem: Lion ACF, Whirling Frenzy ACF, {Optional: City Brawler ACF (Drg#349)}
3. Barbarian - Nemisis: Arcanists, Wolf Totem ACF
4. Warblade
5. Warblade
6. Warblade - Mage Slayer
7. Warblade
8. Warblade - B: Improved Initiative
9. Crusader - Blindfight
10. Crusader
11. Occult Slayer
12. Occult Slayer - Combat Reflexes
13. Occult Slayer
14. Occult Slayer
15. Occult Slayer - Pierce Magical Concealment
16. Witch Slayer
17. Witch Slayer
18. Witch Slayer - Stand Still
19. Witch Slayer
20. Witch Slayer

Note: The levels of Occult Slayer and Witch Slayer can be switched around as needed.

Warblade nets you the maneuvers Iron Heart Surge, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Action Before Thought. You also get Uncanny Dodge

Crusader nets you the Thicket of Blade Stance (combos nicely with Stand Still, Combat Reflexes, and a reach weapon; wear spiked gauntlets or armor spikes to threaten nearby squares) and some healing maneuvers. it also nets you Indomitable Soul.

Witch Slayer nets you Mettle and Slippery Mind.

If playing human take EWP: Spiked Chain and WF: Spiked Chain instead of Guisarme.

Guyver87
2013-08-29, 03:18 AM
Personally i feel that a Factotum would make an exccelent bounty hunter.

Why haven't i thought about it earlier? Actually, now I'm thinking about Factotum/Warblade combo. It should have a lot of nice synergy, as both classes have Intelligence based Class Features.

Hmm... Brains over Brawn combined with Battle Cunning, Battle Ardor, and Dex-based Tiger Claw using Warblade/Factotum could be quite effective.

So thanks for an idea, I'm definitely going to try it out.

Here is a Mage Slayer/Hunter build I came up with a while ago

This is quite nice too, especially since our group is based on casters. Still, I do not know if my GM would allow a combination like this.

He is adamant, that class combos that can't be fitted into reasonable backstory for a character, are forbidden in his games.

I do think, that my theoretical build of Totemist/Warshaper/Soul Eater/Kensai/Warblade, that I've sent him some time ago is to blame for that...

Still, thanks for Your help.

Chilingsworth
2013-08-29, 03:26 AM
How about just pure cleric?

I mean, with divination spells to find your target, and lots of power available to take them down, what's not to like?